• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Is it safe to assume there are napkin memes?
What about stand memes?
003.jpg

JayEH

It's actually interesting that Valentine probably has the least selfish goal in SBR his methods were just more extreme.

JayEH

Well to be fair that wasn't his end goal that I'm referring to :p I didn't say he was a good guy but what he wanted to do was good. kind of. sorta.

FV was by far the least evil Big Bad in the Jojo franchise, he was one who felt the death of 100 people was worth it if it meant saving 1000 others. While what he did may have been morally wrong, he acted in ways he thought would best help serve the country's needs.

If we're gonna talk about part 7 and its battles I feel obligated to remind everyone that there was a stand whose ability was literally making tracking, killing balloon dogs.

He's not a douche, but he is one of the more morally grey JoJo villains.

His actions were those of justice.

I liked how EoH kinda shows this with Valentine technically actually being on your side

Yeah except that one time when he was totally going to rape Lucy

"You murdered my wife? That is SUCH a turn on"

If we're gonna talk about part 7 and its battles I feel obligated to remind everyone that there was a stand whose ability was literally making tracking, killing balloon dogs.

Something I always wondered was how they could smell Lucy even though Hot Pants said her spray disguises scent.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Tubular Bells will forever be my favorite set of out-of-context JoJo pictures.

Genryu

Banned
Something I always wondered was how they could smell Lucy even though Hot Pants said her spray disguises scent.

I believe Tubular Bells is smelling her body. Hot Pants was only covering her face with the Meat Spray, because Steel can tell that Scarlet in the picture is actually Lucy because they have the same body.

Edit: Also I just finished re-reading Steel Ball Run and I'm really having a tough time figuring out if I like DiU or SBR more. And some of the best out-of-context are Diego pre-dinosaur under the control of Scary Monsters.

ppKwxVS.jpg

KingDirk

Just remembered Diego Brando's tragic back story and that is a grade-A pastiche of Victorian melodrama. Really effective while also fitting in with the time period.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Just remembered Diego Brando's tragic back story and that is a grade-A pastiche of Victorian melodrama. Really effective while also fitting in with the time period.
I like how even if his mom was still alive he's still an asshole. And the FAARP Dio is just diego with the world.

KingDirk

I like how even if his mom was still alive he's still an asshole. And the FAARP Dio is just diego with the world.

FAARP Duo is kinda trash except for his glorious death. Thinking about pt 7, aost everybody was kind of an asshole, huh? Gyro, Johnny, Tim, Steel, Sandman, etc. Fit in well for the Western vibe.

cntr

Banned
The morality in Part 7 makes sense if you judge it all by the True Man's World.

The High Voltage arc was because Araki wanted to give Dio a final send-off. Part 7 and 8 are the only parts where Dio wasn't the cause of all the problems.

Genryu

Banned
The morality in Part 7 makes sense if you judge it all by the True Man's World.

The High Voltage arc was because Araki wanted to give Dio a final send-off. Part 7 and 8 are the only parts where Dio wasn't the cause of all the problems.

He didn't really have anything to do with Part 2.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, Part 2 is the most disconnected from Dio influence, but it's still there. If Zeppeli wasn't killed by Tarkus, his son (Caesar's dad) wouldn't have had to be eaten by the Pillar Men, and if Dio's zombies didn't kill George II, Lisa Lisa wouldn't need to leave Joseph alone.

Thud

He didn't really have anything to do with Part 2.

Dio and Jonathan connect Part 1 with Joseph from Part 2. Their fates gave birth to Joseph.

Plus the stone mask and hamon ties it together. That the tone, writing and characters are completely different just makes it a new thing.

cntr

Banned
Every part is completely different in tone and style, if you think about it.

Probably one of the reasons Araki hasn't burnt out.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
FAARP Duo is kinda trash except for his glorious death. Thinking about pt 7, aost everybody was kind of an asshole, huh? Gyro, Johnny, Tim, Steel, Sandman, etc. Fit in well for the Western vibe.
Part 7 is my favorite just for that. My favorite stand after FAARP is Ringo's The Real man's world. Also rain man is way better than weather report and you know it.

Debirudog

Huh, I don't remember a single dickish thing from Mountain Tim. Dude is a nice guy all around.

Part 8 is basically the City of Assholes though.

Frimaire

Huh, I don't remember a single dickish thing from Mountain Tim. Dude is a nice guy all around.

1. Mountain Tim is a creepy asshole.

Mountain Tim only saves Lucy Steel from Blackmore and Valentine because he wants to sleep with her. After the rescue, Lucy is clearly grateful and they share a hug, but then Mountain Tim says some weird shit, which causes her to pull away.

"You belong to another man. But I want to be of help to you...Ever since we've first met, that's been my intention...I want to protect you from all the cruel things of the world."

Lucy instantly goes from shaking and crying her eyes out to looking just completely exasperated. ".............Mountain Tim. Maybe I've led you on...But the only person who could help me there...was you."

Translation: Your stupid rope power was actually useful for once. I will not have sex with you.

Undeterred, Mountain Tim claims that his only fear is losing Lucy and that he only wants her to welcome him with a smile.

Translation: Please just tolerate me. Also, I like looking at you. Also, I've known you for like a week but I want to be with you forever.

Lucy responds with like forty ellipses and looks at Mountain Tim like he's the stupidest asshole on the planet and then reaffirms her loyalty to her husband.

Mountain Tim, chivalrous cowboy that he is, then tells her to get help from someone else. What a hero. I'm sure Lucy Steel will fare better by herself against the guy who can murder people with rain.
She actually does.

But at least Mountain Tim keeps his mouth shut and protects Lucy, you say. Well, yes, but that keeps her safe for all of four seconds because...

2. Mountain Tim is an idiot.

When confronted by Blackmore about the phone call he received, Mountain Tim immediately and inexplicably pulls a gun on him. Well, you've just confirmed all of his suspicions.

Also, why would Mountain Tim pull a gun on a man who can control rain while it's raining and Blackmore is at his most powerful? And don't say Mountain Tim didn't know that Blackmore's power involved rain. He wasn't surprised when Blackmore was standing above him on top of raindrops, and he continues his assault (despite being allowed a reprieve) even after Blackmore does weird shit like reforming his body and making his mouth appear on Mountain Tim's arm.

Noble to the end, Mountain Tim refuses to sell out Lucy, but he's an idiot failure even in death because Blackmore immediately deduces that he was talking to Lucy because Mountain Tim tightly held her wet head against his chest, inside of his coat. Oops. Now Lucy's fucked AND there's no one to help her. Great work, sheriff.

3. Mountain Tim has a stupid power.

And if that's not enough, Mountain Tim's stand is a rope. Well, sliding his body along a rope. He can't actually conjure rope. This is comically situational. It is useful only twice, and he wouldn't have had to use it one time if he hadn't rashly grabbed the strange man digging through his luggage (Oyecomova) when he knew there were people with weird powers lurking around. Further, unlike other bizarrely specific powers, it isn't even all that powerful in that specific situation it was designed for. It's still just a rope.

Also, I hate his dumb zebra hat.

KingDirk

I knew this quote was coming. =P

Everybody being an asshole is also fairly common among a lot of Westerns. Bleak landscapes, desperate people, limited governmental protection against vice/crime/depravity/etc.

Especially love how they took the completely selfless Jonathan and showed how he could have easily gone down a different path.

cntr

Banned
I've heard that Araki got the idea for Gappy by thinking about a character who'd be "twice the man as anybody else"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom