• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
The English dub is great because it's the only translation that captures even vaguely the way Araki writes in Japanese, instead of converting to normal English.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Don't think Viz went back & redubbed Parts 1 & 2. Probably figured it wasn't worth the money & time if they're having to dub Part 3 & then eventually/hopefully Part 4.

what if Battle Tendency had filler

kz7EFaX.jpg

Honestly Battle Tendency is probably the one part that could've used a little filler.

Tizoc

I plan on getting an iPad Pro and I want to get a JoJo themed case for it. Anyone know where to find any good designs? I'm getting the 9.7" model. Redbubble has some decent ones but it doesn't say if they're for the iPad Pro models >_>

Part 1 & 2. They said they might air Part 3 depending on the ratings, but considering how requested the show was & the fact it's airing at midnight, it should do just fine & it's more a matter if they'll air SDC right after Part 2 or wait a bit for Viz to finish up the dub. It'll be replacing One Punch Man next month, & that show has always had over a million viewers each week.
Is it weird that I can't really do Jojo dubbed? I mean I can watch it dubbed fine if I have to, but the over the top zany bullshit in Japanese kind of seems to get lost in translation. Jojo just ain't Jojo without "NANIIIIII!!!"

JayEH

Is it weird that I can't really do Jojo dubbed? I mean I can watch it dubbed fine if I have to, but the over the top zany bullshit in Japanese kind of seems to get lost in translation. Jojo just ain't Jojo without "NANIIIIII!!!"

I agree. I watched some of the part 1 and 2 dub and while some characters got it (like Patrcik Seitz as Dio) most just felt flat compared to the Japanese. The japanese are very good at overacting which is absolutely necessary for Jojo and yeah there is just too much stuff reliant on Japanese being spoken such as Joseph cursing and stuff in engrish for a dub to properly work imo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nah, that's understandable. I'm the type that's fine with both sub and dub & have some anime I preferred dubbed over sub, but this is such a series that I feels like a better fit in Japanese.

Part 3 seems like it might turn out alright, but based on some clips, I fear I'm not gonna like the S1 dub, especially how used to the JPN cast I am......though Patrick Seitz as Dio is great casting.

Nah, that's understandable. I'm the type that's fine with both sub and dub & have some anime I preferred dubbed over sub, but this is such a series that I feels like a better fit in Japanese.

Part 3 seems like it might turn out alright, but based on some clips, I fear I'm not gonna like the S1 dub, especially how used to the JPN cast I am......though Patrick Seitz as Dio is great casting.
I have nothing against dubbed anime at all. Jojo is just one of those things that has got to be subbed for authenticity and pure bullshit zaniness.

ムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダムダ
おらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおらおら

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have nothing against dubbed anime at all. Jojo is just one of those things that has got to be subbed for authenticity and pure bullshit zaniness.
Fully agreed, this is one of those series that just works so much better in its original language.

Thud

I tend to go for the original audio most of the times, unless the dub is really good.

Valkyria Chronicles is an example of where the dub fit the setting more. And I'm nostalgic towards the shows I watched in my childhood with the Dutch dub.

So while I was planning to re-read some of Jojo's earlier parts, I got it in my head to read Araki's pre-Jojo work, to see just how he's progressed as an artist.

Poker Under Arms

Famous wild west outlaw Don Peckinpah spends his days gambling and gunning down anybody trying to collect on his sizable bounty. In a dingy saloon he encounters fellow outlaw Mike Harper, and they engage in a not so friendly game of poker...

One of Araki's underrated skills as an author is how he can milk a scene for all the tension it's worth, and this set-up lets him show it off. This one shot is very low-key and restrained; it takes place almost entirely around a poker table, with two outlaws trying to beat the other at poker. The manga is mostly standard, diametric panels. It's told using a narrator in the beginning as a framing device, a technique Araki would use frequently in his pre-Jojo days. Artistically it mixes some cartoony-looking faces with realistic clothing and backgrounds. Impressive for a debut work, Araki doesn't really use negative space, and every panel has at least some sort of background. Mike Harper bares a resemblance to Speedwagon, and the hobo who tells the tale looks alot like Dario Brando.

Say Hello to Virginia

Hiroshi Takemoto and Captain Matt Jackson are the only two crew members on board the space freighter Dillinger, along with the on-board computer, Bonnie, and the self-propelled robot, Clyde. To break the monotony of their grueling journey, a mysterious figure appears to tell them that there are two bombs installed on the ship, one of which is named Virginia. Who might have an interest in sabotaging their peaceful mission of transport? Will the two protagonists have what it takes to defuse the bombs and survive?

Apparently Araki had another one-shot, Outlaw Man, but I couldn't find anything about it. Not much to add to this one shot that I didn't say about Poker. It's a set-up that allows Araki to flex his suspense muscle and artistically it's about the same. The sci-fi backgrounds and the ship resemble retro sci-fi anime from the 70s, like The White Base in Mobile Suit Gundam. The way Araki draws machinery is far more intricate and detailed than I thought he was capable of. Both these and Poker Under Arms read like fun little short stories you would find in a pulp magazine.

Cool Shock B.T One-shot + 1st volume

latest

B.T (you are never told his real name) is a high-school student who always seems to find himself in some kind of trouble or mystery. Using his love of illusion and his best-friend/accomplice/narrator Koichi, B.T will solve crimes, pull off heists, and generally fuck with people who annoy him.

Araki's first multi-chapter work also marks his first major change as an artist. The western comic realism is pretty much dropped, replaced with lots of straight lines and basic shapes, making the manga resemble much older 60s manga like works by Tezuka or Mitsuteru Yokoyama. As the manga progressed however, Araki would return to drawing more detailed clothing. The backgrounds aren't very realistic either, now they look more abstract and 'painterly'. Araki would use arrows to point at something important, usually a character. Araki would experiment with character expression as well, such as using shadow to completely obscure the face of a threat, making the pupil of one eye get smaller when exasperated, and for some reason he would draw a ring of tears around a character's eye when they get angry.

B.T as a character is, simply put, kind of a dick. So much of a dick that, as Araki put in some author's notes, his editor had a hard time pitching the manga to its publishers. As you can see from the cover, B.T would serve as a prototype to Dio Brando, although he isn't nearly as bad. The best point of comparison is Yami Yugi from the early chapters of Yu-gi-oh! We never learn that much about B.T, aside from the fact that he has a grandmother who isn't above pulling off a scheme herself. No, mostly we spend time with series narrator Koichi, who as you may have guessed, acts like Part 4's Koichi minus the stand power-ups. The adventures they go through range from getting back at a bully to escaping Nazi-cosplayers who may be pedophiles who want to torture them. It's pretty wild.

Baoh

Teenager Ikuro Hashizawa is kidnapped by the Doress (Judas in the English manga) Laboratory and turned into a Baoh, a bioweapon with super-human strength and other abilities.
He escapes with the help of Sumire/Violet, a 10-year-old psychic girl who also was kept by the Judas group. Professor Kasuminome (Hazyeye in the English manga), head scientist at Judas, sends various assassins and monsters to try and kill Ikuro, in means of stopping the Baoh virus from spreading and infecting the world.

The most famous of Araki's pre-Jojo mangas, thanks to a single episode OVA and some DLC in All-Star Battle. At two volumes, it's also the longest. If Cool Shock B.T took artistic inspiration from guys like Tezuka and Yokoyama, then Baoh is a big love letter to the works of Go Nagai. The central premise, with a protagonist who has a body-horror transformation while fighting off the assassins sent by a shadowy organization, is classic Nagai. Some characters, like the grandpa who lives in the mountains and the final assassin Walken, look like they jumped straight out of the pages of Devilman and Cutey Honey. This is where the Araki who created Jojo first started to emerge. Characters go into impossibly wacky poses as horrifying depictions of skin melting/bubbling/peeling and eyes popping out of their sockets leap across the page. There's not much strategy to be found here, this is exactly what most action manga of the era were like; big, splash page wacky abilities exploding all over the place until one fighter dies screaming into a bloody mess. It's dumb, but that era's style can be enjoyed.

Gorgeous Irene

latest

Irene is a professional assassin who is able to transform into any type of woman using her 'make-up' power, but instead of killing in cold blood, she uses her abilities for good.

Ah, Gorgeous Irene. Allegedly Araki dislikes this short, two chapter manga and to be honest I do too. With an Araki who clearly discovered fashion magazines, most of the characters are gargantuan monstrosities, contorted into laughable positions that completely screw with the flow. It's nigh incomprehensible. Irene is a complete ditz until she applies her 'battle makeup', which not only changes her personality but noticeably expands her tits and ass. Also there are casual nip slips all over the place. The first chapter makes it seem like the plot would involve Irene taking clients chapter by chapter but in chapter 2 her butler and caretaker is killed and she's left stranded in Harlem following a character who looks exactly like Jonathan Joestar around like a lost puppy. Basically this whole manga is like one of those over the top video nasty OVAs from the 80s.

Astral

I much prefer JoJo in Japanese but DIO's dubbed voice in the OVA is awesome imo. It's the voice I heard in my head when I was reading the manga.

Dubbed Stroheim is a crime.

Let us not forget dubbed Caesar "Nagito Komaeda faking an Italian accent" Zeppeli

Is forgetting it even possible.

If the Toonami dub is the same as the one used for the DVD than it is alright. Nothing special but not too awful either. I didn't even really mind JYB as Jonathan, and Joseph was alright and it's just unfair to compare him to Sugita.

Nairume

Banned
If the Toonami dub is the same as the one used for the DVD than it is alright. Nothing special but not too awful either. I didn't even really mind JYB as Jonathan, and Joseph was alright and it's just unfair to compare him to Sugita.
I feel like Diskin pretty clearly recognized that he can't recreate Sugita's raw charisma and instead goes for playing up Joseph's playful side in a way that works really well for the character and makes it his own as much as Sugita owned the role in Japanese. I actually went in thinking that he would never be able to even come close to supplanting Sugita in my mind, and now I find myself imagining either voice whenever I reread part 2.

To be honest, aside from dub Stroheim being pretty bad, Ceaser waffling between fine and hokey, and JYB's Jonathan sounding a little too young, the dub's largely fine. Feel like it was just overshadowed by being shackled to the hilariously awful DVDs and all the shenanigans surrounding them.

I feel like Diskin pretty clearly recognized that he can't recreate Sugita's raw charisma and instead goes for playing up Joseph's playful side in a way that works really well for the character and makes it his own as much as Sugita owned the role in Japanese. I actually went in thinking that he would never be able to even come close to supplanting Sugita in my mind, and now I find myself imagining either voice whenever I reread part 2.

That's a good way to explain it yeah. He never feels like Sugita, but he definitely feels like a voice that would come out of Joseph regardless.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
So while I was planning to re-read some of Jojo's earlier parts, I got it in my head to read Araki's pre-Jojo work, to see just how he's progressed as an artist.

I read a bunch of this stuff last year and it's pretty interesting, aside from Irene which was just embarrassing.

Baoh is dumb fun.

There are a lot of them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-JOJO-Jo...430229?hash=item5d653c9f15:g:-ysAAOSwOVpXT-nE

This is the one I bought. The GBP price makes it a bit less expensive. The pattern was not perfectly symmetric on the tie I got, but there were nothing like skulls being cut off.
Too bad buying one of these doesn't come with Kira's theme...where is that by the way? I checked for it on youtube once and it wasn't there.
Dubbed Stroheim is a crime.
It's just not Stroheim if he's not screaming out "Sekaichiiiii!!!"

Nairume

Banned
A dubbed Stroheim could work if done right and even the one that exists seems to have wanted to do the good thing of using an Ahnuld voice.

It's just that he couldn't do that remotely well and came off sounding like Tommy Wiseau instead.

A dubbed Stroheim could work if done right and even the one that exists seems to have wanted to do the good thing of using an Ahnuld voice.

It's just that he couldn't do that remotely well and came off sounding like Tommy Wiseau instead.
Did dubbed Stroheim try to be hilariously over dramatic? Is there a link to dubbed "German science is the best science" that's like the Stroheim litmus test.

Thud

Oh hi doggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom