• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At least the tie this time around is a lot more affordable, just under $100 compared to the, what, $500+ version released earlier?

kiran.jpg

070.png

Coolhandleek

Neo Member
Hey Jojo-GAF! Have you ever tried to get someone into Jojo only to have them refuse or quit for a dumb reason?

A good friend of mine, who has watched the last 3 parts recently said he stopped watching Part 4 because of Josuke. When I pressed him about it, here was his two reasons:

1) "Josuke looks stupid and acts stupid. How am I supposed to take him seriously as a main character?"

2) "How can he be Jotaro's uncle? Doesn't that make Joseph a deadbeat? I don't think that's fair to Joseph's character".

Note: He loves Part 2 and once he saw the first episode, he just checked out for good.

Hey Jojo-GAF! Have you ever tried to get someone into Jojo only to have them refuse or quit for a dumb reason?

A good friend of mine, who has watched the last 3 parts recently said he stopped watching Part 4 because of Josuke. When I pressed him about it, here was his two reasons:

1) "Josuke looks stupid and acts stupid. How am I supposed to take him seriously as a main character?"

2) "How can he be Jotaro's uncle? Doesn't that make Joseph a deadbeat? I don't think that's fair to Joseph's character".

Note: He loves Part 2 and once he saw the first episode, he just checked out for good.
How vital is this person to your day to day life?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It's because of the pompadour, isn't it?

Oh well, good thing he stopped early on, can't imagine how he'd feel if he found out that Joseph became senile in his later years.

JayEH

idk how anyone can give up on a show after 1 episode. I think everything should be given a few before deciding it's not for you. I know someone who stopped halfway through episode 1 of Part 1 and told me Jojo was trash. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joseph stans are the absolute worst

yep.

Coolhandleek

Neo Member
It's because of the pompadour, isn't it?

Oh well, good thing he stopped early on, can't imagine how he'd feel if he found out that Joseph became senile in his later years.

To my knowledge, the pompadour thing was never an issue in any other anime. I think its more of the art style change combined with the outbursts related to the hair that bothers him.

If I told him about Part 4 Joseph, he might have an aneurysm. All he knows is that Joseph does show up at some point.

To my knowledge, the pompadour thing was never an issue in any other anime. I think its more of the art style change combined with the outbursts related to the hair that bothers him.

If I told him about Part 4 Joseph, he might have an aneurysm. All he knows is that Joseph does show up at some point.
Just tell him to fuck with him.

JayEH

the main character of 4 is Morio-cho. I've always found it interesting Araki has Josuke as his favorite character. I know he says its because of the setting and Josuke feels like he could be your friend but he's not the focus of his own part for much of it.

Thud

idk how anyone can give up on a show after 1 episode. I think everything should be given a few before deciding it's not for you. I know someone who stopped halfway through episode 1 of Part 1 and told me Jojo was trash. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Another candidate for the arrow, Lord Dio.

cntr

Banned
You know, remember that "Old Maid" thing in the Superfly battle? I wonder whether Araki thought of Superfly first, and then tried to explain it with Old Maid, or if he read about Old Maid, and then was inspired to make Superfly

Astral

After 30 hours in EoH I've concluded that it's not that bad. It's decent. It's actually not as shallow as I thought it was. Some characters are ass though. Alternate Diego is so disappointing. He just throws gasoline and lights people on fire? It sounds badass but it's really not since he can't dash and gets knocked off his horse too easily and that shit takes too long to recharge. Mariah is really boring to use too. Another disappointment. Anyway there's no reason to play it anymore.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Same here, especially considering how many times Namco has put All-Star Battle & their other anime-based games on sale. I'd imagine it'll hit $30 or less soon enough.

remz

your friend probably didn't really like it and was just looking for a convenient out

I'm still trying to figure out why people don't like Part 4. The only thing I wasn't a big fan of was RPS boy and that mostly seems like the reason for that was they cheaped out on the episode. Need more Yukako though, I love her VA performance.

JayEH

"where's the plot?" "josuke isn't even the main character" "what araki is doing to joseph is character assassination" etc

cntr

Banned
It's probably because Part 4 is completely unlike any Jojo before it.

Like, "Joseph was a cheater, left his son alone, and is now a senile man" is totally unexpected if you came into Part 4 expecting a normal shounen. How many shounen characters actually age like that? How many former protagonists age like that?

Part 4's overall structure is weird and meandering, something that makes a lot more sense in retrospect rather than linearly. Like Koichi talks about the disappearances in Morioh at the very beginning of the series, which isn't resolved or even discussed for several arcs until they meet Reimi.

To be honest, I feel like Part 4 is where Jojo really became its own thing. Part 1, 2, and 3 were all bizarre and inventive, but they were more or less normal shounen in structure. Part 4 and beyond is where Araki begins really experimenting with structure and battles in a way that's distinctly "Jojo". Not to mention it's where Araki developed his real artstyle.

JayEH

I also think Jojo still works better as a manga personally. It's just so hard to capture some of the quirks in animation.

It's probably because Part 4 is completely unlike any Jojo before it.

Like, "Joseph was a cheater, left his son alone, and is now a senile man" is totally unexpected if you came into Part 4 expecting a normal shounen. How many shounen characters actually age like that? How many former protagonists age like that?

Part 4's overall structure is weird and meandering, something that makes a lot more sense in retrospect rather than linearly. Like Koichi talks about the disappearances in Morioh at the very beginning of the series, which isn't resolved or even discussed for several arcs until they meet Reimi.

To be honest, I feel like Part 4 is where Jojo really became its own thing. Part 1, 2, and 3 were all bizarre and inventive, but they were more or less normal shounen in structure. Part 4 and beyond is where Araki begins really experimenting with structure and battles in a way that's distinctly "Jojo". Not to mention it's where Araki developed his real artstyle.
This might be why I like Jojo since it's not a typical Shonen show. Don't get me wrong I like Shonen, but you can't just put all the tropes on the screen and think I'll watch it. I honestly like the structure it's just allowing the characters to breathe and interact and have some fucking fun without their lives being constantly in danger. The stakes are different for Josuke and crew. Only real threat is Kira, other than Akira and Keicho most of the stand battles weren't playing for keeps.

I hate your friend

I also think Jojo still works better as a manga personally. It's just so hard to capture some of the quirks in animation.

While I think some of the more emotional moments have been strengthed thanks to music and VA performance, and some fights have been elevated thanks to animation, I think the manga is still the stronger version.

Stardust Crusaders, for example, did not translate all that well and I feel worked better as a manga.

D-Man

Your friend doesn't deserve JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Even if part 5 receives the worst possible anime adaptation it won't change the fact that part 5 is best bizarre adventure

And I don't think any anime studio can do SBR justice without like a gorillion yen budget and for them to spend the next 5 years drawing shit. Speaking of, how can people read entire parts in a day christ, it takes me 5 days minimum going through each part because I'm soaking in all that A R T

JayEH

While I think some of the more emotional moments have been strengthed thanks to music and VA performance, and some fights have been elevated thanks to animation, I think the manga is still the stronger version.

Stardust Crusaders, for example, did not translate all that well and I feel worked better as a manga.

Yeah this is the main reason I keep watching. I really love all the sound work in the series so far.

Even if part 5 receives the worst possible anime adaptation it won't change the fact that part 5 is best bizarre adventure

And I don't think any anime studio can do SBR justice without like a gorillion yen budget and for them to spend the next 5 years drawing shit. Speaking of, how can people read entire parts in a day christ, it takes me 5 days minimum going through each part because I'm soaking in all that A R T

tfw you realize SBR anime will either a) Never happen, b) be CG shit, or c) have most of the source material cut :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom