• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people calling certain arcs filler is a bit overboard, but I remember thinking "What the fuck is with this pacing" the first time I read Diamond is Unbreakable. I get where they're coming from.

cntr

Banned
finally collected all the music from Jojolion, hell yes. I have all the stand music references!

...except Dragon's Dream, because that shit is obscure

'Diamond is filler' has existed way before the anime.

Lots of manga fans don't care for the surface, Shigechi, ratt, or Cinderella fights. It felt like every week someone would post "This was my least favorite part of the manga."

So really, don't antagonize people in the anime thread who don't love every episode. It makes things even more insular.

JayEH

I think complaining about pacing for DiU is nonsense at this point. It's established early on this is different from other jojo. It's part of the charm of this part.

Guys I just had a meltdown.

If Mikitaka is an alien, and has stand like powers but isn't technically a stand user. And we learn that the arrow was crafted from a meteorite (AKA Space rock), does that mean Mikitakas home planet (that's was destroyed, so the meteorite is possibly a part of his planet?!?!) is responsible for stands?

cntr

Banned
AUrnpGK.png

Has there ever been like a direct copy of Jojo in the nearly 30 years it's been around?

^^Aside from Diesel. I'm talking about Japanese products.

JayEH

So i was looking up Jojo shonen jump rankings and I'm a little surprised how low it was sometimes. Kinda fascinating it is so culturally significant yet didn't seem to be very popular with the readers at the time. From my research it seems like Jojo was doing very well in volume sales despite the low rankings so I guess it was older readers into Jojo? guess it wouldn't be too shocking given the mature content in jojo for a shonen.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, most of Jojo's popularity is a retroactive thing. Helps that it's a seinen series nowadays, not a shounen.

I'm really digging the "Great Days" op. Very stylish, and those poses are fabulous. Josuke's quick silhouette walk makes me chuckle, and the repeated frames of Kosaku Kira, because I can't unsee the Jon&Garfield one someone posted.

Like, I know about inspirations from certain aspects of Jojo but I mean copying storybeats, styles, and powersets at once. Persona 4 is the closet I can think of, but I wanna know if there's a closer one.

Nairume

Banned
Shaman King and Persona don't have that much in common with Jojo though
Stands and Personas aren't really that dissimilar in concept or even functionality, and you could probably make a good argument that Persona 4 doesn't shy away from wearing its DiU inspiration on its sleeves.

cntr

Banned
They're similar, yeah, but the themes and presentation of Jojo and Persona are totally different.

Like, DiU and Persona 4 share the idea of "flawed people with superpowers", but DiU uses that as a Morioh-based slice-of-life story where people use their Stands to exaggerate their flaws, while in Persona 4, it's a dramatic school story where you don't gain control of your powers until you accept your flaws. The core concept might be the same, but the execution is totally different.

Nairume

Banned
Oh for sure. I'm not remotely saying Persona/P4 is ripping off JoJo/DiU. Just that it's the closest thing I can think of to something that take a lot from JoJo (and isn't Diesel) and even then, it's still very obviously its own thing.

Debirudog

Starting to wonder if people in the anime thread, even like the episodes with Rohan. I find many of the memorable moments to not really move the plot at all, but the Alien ep has to be one of the most entertaining arcs for Part 4, I feel like people are missing the forests for the trees.

Hypron

The one thing I was disappointed with was that we didn't get a proper fight between Mikitaka and a stand user. It could have been really cool, he's probably the one guy in the entire series that's not a stand user that could have done something in a fight against one. There could have been some interesting dynamics to the fight, with him not being able to see his enemy's stand.

But I guess that wouldn't really have worked if Araki wanted to keep uncertainty as to whether he actually was an alien or not (although, I never even considered that when reading the thing to be honest, I completely believed he was an alien from start to finish).

cntr

Banned
He can't see Stands, so he can't fight against ones that aren't bound to physical objects.

But yeah, if he's a Stand user, he could theoretically fight Stands hand-to-hand, like Diego.

Does this man have cancer? Who is that chick with the GU Jotaro styled hat? She's cute.
Starting to wonder if people in the anime thread, even like the episodes with Rohan. I find many of the memorable moments to not really move the plot at all, but the Alien ep has to be one of the most entertaining arcs for Part 4, I feel like people are missing the forests for the trees.
Rohan is at his best when he's fucking with Koichi. The last ep was pretty good with Josuke and Rohan trying to fuck each other out of money. RPS Kid was just not his best ep cause it didn't translate well to an anime. I swear I'm the only one in that thread that liked Cinderella and probably complain the least about DiU. I just want more Kira with his hot ass wife.

cntr

Banned
more specifically, the SBRverse version of Koichi is a girl who's the main romantic interest of the SBR version of Josuke + Jotaro
with a bit of Kira mixed in

edit: it's complicated, but that's not his dad

more specifically, the SBRverse version of Koichi is a girl who's the main romantic interest of the SBR version of Josuke + Jotaro
with a bit of Kira mixed in

edit: it's complicated, but that's not his dad
This is becoming interesting. How does one hold all these "what the fucks?"

cntr

Banned
I like how Gappy/Yasuho is the second plot-central romance in the entire series, but it took until Part 8 to happen.

that's a long-ass time to wait before trying it out again, Araki

well it might be the third since you totally know something was up with Pucci and Dio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom