• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Could you imagine what Killer Queen Requiem could do though?
Not only would it kill you and completely obliterate your body, leaving no trace. It would erase you from history. All pictures of you, gone. All memories, gone. It would be Kira's ultimate method of making sure nobody knows about him.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Er, Another One Bites the Dust is basically Killer Queen Requiem. Unless you think Killer Queen would have gotten a better powerup from the part 5 Arrow. I don't think there is anything in the Manga to imply that the Beatle Arrow actually had additional powers over the standard design ether.

cntr

Banned
I guess, but Araki is bizarrely consistent about it in a way that makes me think it was meant to be special but Araki never got around to explaining it.

But yeah, the way Kira gets Baitsa Dasuto works exactly like the Requiem stuff, right down to the "determination" requirement.

Requiem stands (of which we have only ever seen two) are really bizarre even considering other stands in JoJo. They seem to be based around fate, which is probably the strongest tier of powers in JoJo, even above time manipulation.

Chariot Requiem can switch around souls and manipulate other people's Stands to guard itself, suggesting it basically has the power to move around people's fate. GER can reset the state of everything and anything to "zero," so its power is the ability to completely nullify fate. So if Killer Queen Requiem was a thing, the logical conclusion is that it can blow up fate.

How the fuck does that work, I can't possibly answer that but I bet it's some bullshit like "no Josuke, your entire existence is a bomb" and Gappy just ceases being and part 8 JoJo becomes Joshu because fuck you.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, that sounds like "erasing someone from existence". Which seems perfectly alright.

But Part 5 also establishes that Requiem stands have control over souls (and thus stands) in general, so SCR moves souls around, and GER has the power to control willpower. (The translation left that bit about GER out and also the entire fact that Requiem stands do this.)

So presumably Killer Queen Requiem would also have control over some aspect of the mind/spirit, something like forcing people to not ever pay attention to Kira again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Another One Bites the Dust averts fate by rewinding time whenever a undesired outcome happens (Which was someone finding out Kosaku Kawajiri was actually Kira)

I still say that Upgraded Killer Queen is the same as a Requiem Stand.

Erigu

ok we get it Erigu
please stop trying to incite arguments about Vento Aureo literally whenever it comes up
I like Part 5, mostly. But the end sucked (no, Requiem doesn't make much sense, not even in Japanese, which was my point), and the series as a whole never recovered after that.
(and I will state my opinions if I feel like it, thanks)

Started getting hype for this month's Jojolion them remembered there won't be one.

Jobin_realizes_Damo's_death.png

I like Part 5, mostly. But the end sucked (no, Requiem doesn't make much sense, not even in Japanese, which was my point), and the series as a whole never recovered after that.
(and I will state my opinions if I feel like it, thanks)
A but crazy to say the series never recovered when a universe reboot happened and gave us Steel Ball Run though.

Requiem was wacky but I personally prefer part 5's bizarre stuff over part 6's "what the fuck am I reading" final act.

Erigu

A but crazy to say the series never recovered when a universe reboot happened and gave us Steel Ball Run though.
I think Steel Ball Run sucked, unfortunately. Maybe not as hard as Part 6 did, but that's not setting the bar very high. The art (shortly) improved a lot at some point, but that's the only good thing I could say about Part 7.

Siegcram

I think Steel Ball Run sucked, unfortunately. Maybe not as hard as Part 6 did, but that's not setting the bar very high. The art (shortly) improved a lot at some point, but that's the only good thing I could say about Part 7.
Crazy Diamond, taste, etc.

Matsukaze

Talking Head, is that you?

:p

The hell? What do you like about jojo? It seems you're mostly negative whenever you post here.

Are you sure you're in the right thread? JoJo is one of the few series that I can say continuously escalates as it goes on in a way that isn't absurd. I can honestly say that (aside from Part 5, which could be mainly translation at fault) I've liked each part more than the last.

Astral

It always amused me how perfectly ok Kira was with reliving the same fucking morning over and over again as long as he never got caught. Like, I can honestly see him being content repeating it infinitely. The average person would probably go insane, but not Yoshikage Kira.

I mean, Kira wants the most boring life possible, and it's not like he remembers

Kira is so fascinating, because he wants to be so damn plain.... And is a stand using serial killer.
Like, the scope of Part 4 may be way under the other parts, but I love Kira as a character.

Erigu

The hell? What do you like about jojo?
Dude. I talked about Parts 6 and 7, in that post. And before that, about Requiem and the end of Part 5. That's hardly all of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Are you sure you're in the right thread? JoJo is one of the few series that I can say continuously escalates as it goes on in a way that isn't absurd.
Clearly, I disagree. Like I said, I think it jumped the shark during Part 5 (which is mostly okay) and never recovered.

As for "are you sure you're in the right thread?"... Even if I didn't like the series overall, I find the the idea that I shouldn't be posting here (?) quite ridiculous.

Shmuppers

I dunno. Maybe I have bad taste, but the escalation from parts 3-6 was some of the most enjoyable reading I've ever experienced.

And then part 7 is like a reward for it all. Sex for the eyes.

Oh, that's too bad. Sort of interested why it didn't click with you.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I... didn't like SBR that much either.
I found it full of half baked ideas and continuous changes of direction, with things happening followed by more things and then more things, with no logic or sense whatsoever.

I quite liked some parts (ie. Mandom or Catch the Rainbow), and maybe the shakey availability of scans during the first few years of publication didn't help, but overall I'm fascinated by how much English speaking audiences seem to appreciate it.

^ word. SBR is the best part.

Kira is so fascinating, because he wants to be so damn plain.... And is a stand using serial killer.
Like, the scope of Part 4 may be way under the other parts, but I love Kira as a character.

What Part 4 lacks in scope it makes up for in intimacy. You can tell that Twin Peaks was a clear inspiration for Araki, even though he went for a completely different tone.

I'm just now noticing that both Bruford and Yukako have hair that can move on their own and grab shit. Does Araki ever explain how in the fuck Bruford can swing a giant ass sword with his fucking hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom