• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

Sort of interested why it didn't click with you.
I already talked about that a bit there, but pretty much the same reasons as Jocchan.
Although there would be some other stuff... Such as Araki now shamelessly recycling entire scenes from his favorite movies and turning them into backstories (still can't believe he ripped off the watch scene from Pulp Fiction, and played it straight, and that was for the Part 7 boss... what the fuck)...

overall I'm fascinated by how much English speaking audiences seem to appreciate it.
Same here, and not just for Steel Ball Run either: from what I've seen on Japanese boards, my assessment of Parts 6 to 8 is hardly atypical, and yet, on English-speaking boards like this one...

I already talked about that a bit there, but pretty much the same reasons as Jocchan.
Although there would be some other stuff... Such as Araki now shamelessly recycling entire scenes from his favorite movies and turning them into backstories (still can't believe he ripped off the watch scene from Pulp Fiction, and played it straight, and that was for the Part 7 boss... what the fuck)...

Same here, and not just for Steel Ball Run either: from what I've seen on Japanese boards, my assessment of Parts 6 to 8 is hardly atypical, and yet, on English-speaking boards like this one...

I can understand that. I do remember the Pulp Fiction scene being hilarious (which was probably not the intended response Araki was looking for).

I don't really see it as a departure from anything going on in part 4 though. I mean hell, I remember straight up disliking most of Part 4 outside of anything with Kira involved when I first read it. A lot of it just felt like "What's the point?" I've enjoyed the anime a lot more than reading it for sure.

I'm just now noticing that both Bruford and Yukako have hair that can move on their own and grab shit. Does Araki ever explain how in the fuck Bruford can swing a giant ass sword with his fucking hair?

I'm pretty sure his backstory covers this.

I'm pretty sure his backstory covers this.

I don't really see it as a departure from anything going on in part 4 though. I mean hell, I remember straight up disliking most of Part 4 outside of anything with Kira involved when I first read it. A lot of it just felt like "What's the point?" I've enjoyed the anime a lot more than reading it for sure.
Yeah I typed that before I read the explanation, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I can recite that explanation off the top of my head. Tarkus just grabbed two dudes and juiced them like oranges and drank their blood like Gatorade. Poko's sister really needs to speak to him about his habit of flashing his ass to random people.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I loved Part 7. Part 6 is one I wasn't really fond of, the ending was great but the majority of the Prison Life stuff just wasn't that great from what I recall.

I loved Part 7. Part 6 is one I wasn't really fond of, the ending was great but the majority of the Prison Life stuff just wasn't that great from what I recall.

I'm the opposite, I really enjoyed reading Jolyne's adventures in prison but after Heavy Weather my reason for reading went from being entertained to "what in the fuck is going on" and I only forged on because my friend hyped up part 7 a lot. The ending was kinda meh to me, though I appreciated the bittersweet feel to it.

Also, I thought Funny's backstory seemed familiar but for whatever reason I could only think of Full Metal Jacket which never seemed right to me. Good to know now!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the prison life aspect of part 6, but I would have liked it more if Araki had kept a couple of recurring characters to make it feel a little more like part 4. The closest we got in part 6 was Gwess and she didn't really do anything of note after her Stand fight with Jolyne.

fertygo

I like part 6 more than SBR tbh

Interaction between Jolyne, FF and Hermes is so good

And personally I think Pucci''s the best Jojo's villain

Man, I love Stone Ocean, no matter Erigu said :D

KingDirk

We aren't doing volume wars, are we?

Part 7 is my favorite, and I think its meandering nature is an asset, not a liability. A lot of Westerns seem to be about what makes an individual who they are (is it their community? Their experiences? Their ethos?) which works really well when we are seeing "what could have been" for previous characters. The saga really felt like a journey, with Johnny clearly being changed by its end.

Also, pizza song.

Shmuppers

Well, there's also that the arrow doesn't stab KQ, the arrow stabs Kira.
:eek:ooooooooo

That makes sense. I almost wish the arrow had stabbed Giorno so we could have seen his Requiem costume lol.

And yeah, SBR is my favorite because it's the most consistent. And I think it has the strongest theming.

Dude. I talked about Parts 6 and 7, in that post. And before that, about Requiem and the end of Part 5. That's hardly all of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Yes, and I believe each part gets better than the last, so if you didn't like those I'm interested to know what parts you do like and why? What do you like about the series as a whole that keeps you coming back for each new chapter?

Ezalc

I really like part 7 because of it's longer nature and adventure. It just seems like it has a lot more room to develop everybody. The setting is also amazing and I love the fact, as I've said before, of the minimal usage of punch ghost stands.

cntr

Banned
For what it's worth, one of the main reasons I love Part 6 and 7 is their heavy western feel. Araki openly takes ideas from Western, especially English, works and mixes them into more manga techniques, right down to the way the story is told. Maybe that's why Japanese audiences don't appreciate it much, but too bad for them. I found it amazing.

I can get why people wouldn't like the prison section of Part 6, but I loved it. Jolyne's still easily the best female protagonist in all manga.

But I like all the parts, even Part 1 and 3.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For what it's worth, one of the main reasons I love Part 6 and 7 is their heavy western feel. Araki openly takes ideas from Western, especially English, works and mixes them into more manga techniques, right down to the way the story is told. Maybe that's why Japanese audiences don't appreciate it much, but too bad for them. I found it amazing.

I can get why people wouldn't like the prison section of Part 6, but I loved it. Jolyne's still easily the best female protagonist in all manga.

But I like all the parts, even Part 1 and 3.

Its been awhile since I read Part 6, but I think my issue with the prison stuff was the pacing. Hard to really say, I just don't remember it fondly.

Tizoc

What are you looking for? Stands or characters? Are you interested in gashapon or something with articulation like those sd figures? Banpresto has a lot of mini figures from their various lottery offerings, but you'll need to check secondhand places for them.

Sorry to be more specific I'm looking for mini figs that are like this-
Captain-America-Collectible-Diorama-Mini-Figure.jpg
Or smaller.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Banpresto prize figures are about as close to that Cap figure as you're gonna get, and they're still bigger that that.

Sorry to be more specific I'm looking for mini figs that are like this-

Or smaller.

Are there certain characters/stands that you'd like? I can check eBay and some other second hand sites where I've found a couple cool mini figures (I prefer them over large ones).

Banpresto prize figures are about as close to that Cap figure as you're gonna get, and they're still bigger that that.
It really depends, because there are some bandai gashapon about that size featuring parts 1-3 in various styles of figure. There's a set of Phantom Blood blind box figures similar to that Cap America in that they're almost mini diorama figures.

Erigu

if you didn't like those I'm interested to know what parts you do like and why?
I explained myself a bit earlier, and as for the parts I like, that would be 2 to 5, with Part 4 clearly being where the series peaked, for me.

What do you like about the series as a whole that keeps you coming back for each new chapter?
Right now, not much at all. I'm merely (morbidly?) curious.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I enjoyed most of Part 7.

What I really hate about it really is the shameless DIO garbage at the end.

"Yeah we know Diego is based from Dio so here ya go Diego with DIO's Stand!"

Started getting hype for this month's Jojolion them remembered there won't be one.

Jobin_realizes_Damo's_death.png

oh right there's none this month

does Araki take December breaks?

cntr

Banned
From what I remember, Araki's said that Another World Diego was meant to be his final send-off to Dio, since y'know, after all that's happened, you gotta end Dio's Bizarre Adventure with a big bang.

(and I personally thought that moment was incredible)

Tizoc

Are there certain characters/stands that you'd like? I can check eBay and some other second hand sites where I've found a couple cool mini figures (I prefer them over large ones).

It really depends, because there are some bandai gashapon about that size featuring parts 1-3 in various styles of figure. There's a set of Phantom Blood blind box figures similar to that Cap America in that they're almost mini diorama figures.

Well I'm kinda looking for small ones as to gift them to my young nephew ^^; He has super hero minifigs, figured I'd get him some JoJo stands.

Well I'm kinda looking for small ones as to gift them to my young nephew ^^; He has super hero minifigs, figured I'd get him some JoJo stands.
Well, Banpresto has a collection of stand key chains which include a few stands that would otherwise likely never receive a figure. Most of them are a translucent plastic, so they look really good and they're no larger than 4". Downside is they're usually in a pose that makes it impossible to display without some work on your end.

There's also a series called "chara heroes" which are like a sd-styled take on stands and characters covering almost every part.

Then there's some bandai gashapon featuring the main stands from part 3 which came out a few years ago.

Thud

I'm a steady follower of current is best jojo.

So for the manga that's part 8 and for the anime that's part 4.

Morioh so nice we went there twice.

Astral

Another World Diego was the coolest shit ever. "And so Johnny wins the race and lives happily ever after? FUCK THAT SHIT HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!" The World returning after idk how many years must have been so cool in Japan. In my case it was The World returning after some months but it was still awesome. A final send- off to one of the most evil bastards in Jojo and one of my favorite Stands.

Breads

Banned
Catch the rainbow!

The color translation added an interesting caveat to Blackmore's power that wasn't in the first SBR translation I read - that in order to use his power he has to physically touch the rain first. It isn't remote. That makes his rain jumping ability really fucking precarious.

Also... I hope Rotation doesn't go the way of Hamon. Rotation was nuts and it would be a shame if it ended there. It was the nanomachines of SBR - it could do anything.

Ezalc

The color translation added an interesting caveat to Blackmore's power that wasn't in the first SBR translation I read - that in order to use his power he has to physically touch the rain first. It isn't remote. That makes his rain jumping ability really fucking precarious.

Also... I hope Rotation doesn't go the way of Hamon. Rotation was nuts and it would be a shame if it ended there. It was the nanomachines of SBR - it could do anything.

Are you reading part 8 yet because well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom