• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Jotaro is dependable. There's an appeal to knowing someone is going to get messed up when Jotaro appears.

He works in that old Wild West cowboy way that he's designed to.

Imo part 4 Jotaro is actually a cool character, and even in part 3 he was great with his silly one-liners and how he thought "you know if I'm about to fight DIO I better stuff a bunch of magazines down my shirt, and put a phone book in my hat in case he throws a bunch of sharp objects at me that I won't be able to deflect for unknown reasons."

Looking back, I think Jolyne and Joseph take the crowns for top JoJos if you ask me.

Because Jotaro is dependable. There's an appeal to knowing someone is going to get messed up when Jotaro appears.

He works in that old Wild West cowboy way that he's designed to.
So far I think Josuke has a good mix of Jotaro and Joseph qualities. He's a bit quirky like Joseph and thinks on his feet pretty damn well and he's also pretty reliable like Jotaro. Only thing is you can tell Josuke leans on his crew a little bit more than Jotaro did. Helps that Koichi when he gets passed his "What the fuck is this stand bullshit" phase is a pretty good wing man. Okuyasu could be, but he's too damn dumb to realize the true potential of his fucking OP ass stand.
Imo part 4 Jotaro is actually a cool character, and even in part 3 he was great with his silly one-liners and how he thought "you know if I'm about to fight DIO I better stuff a bunch of magazines down my shirt, and put a phone book in my hat in case he throws a bunch of sharp objects at me that I won't be able to deflect for unknown reasons."

Looking back, I think Jolyne and Joseph take the crowns for top JoJos if you ask me.
So far Part 4 Jojo is best dressed Jojo. Can't include Rohan cause he's not a Jojo.

cntr

Banned
Jolyne, Josuke, Joseph, and Gappy (and Gyro) are my favorites, followed by Giorno and Johnny, and then Jotaro and Jonathan. I like Jotaro and Jonathan less than the rest, but thinking of Jotaro as a "cowboy" archetype, and looking all the development he got in DiU and SO, it made him a lot better.

e: helps if you figure out that Star Platinum reflects Jotaro's internal emotions in SDC, and honestly so does thinking of Jotaro as being antisocial and introverted rather than just a "stoic badass"

Ezalc

Best jojos for me are still Joseph and Josuke, with the worst being Giorno and Jotaro. I've never been a fan of stoic characters.

cntr

Banned
You can chalk up most of Giorno's stoicness to the bad translation and the bad scan quality. He's more expressive than you'd think. The anime should help with that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the old translation said he dyed his hair blond, while the new one says it just turned blond and he didn't dye it.

At the very least, until rereading the start of part 5 a few days ago, I thought he had just dyed his hair.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, Giorno's hair magically turned blonde after he gained Gold Experience, because Diooooooooo

edit: Wonder if it's a coincidence that Versace had blonde hair too?

cntr

Banned
That's what makes the VA translation so dangerous. The translator covered up his mistakes, so you can't tell where he just made shit up.

So pretty much people have been shit talking VA without actually really reading VA cause the original translation was god awful. Is it safe to assume given my taste in Jojo characters and parts I'm going to like VA?

So pretty much people have been shit talking VA without actually really reading VA cause the original translation was god awful. Is it safe to assume given my taste in Jojo characters and parts I'm going to like VA?

It's a real fun ride, but it does have its problems, with or without the translation.

Tizoc

Does a cleaner, bigger ver. of this image exist?
Ch3u4wJWwAAnvOa.jpg

EDIT: WTF
L7YZ3JM.jpg

It's a real fun ride, but it does have its problems, with or without the translation.
From what I keep seeing all Jojo parts have some sort of problems. As long as the good out weighs the bad then it should be perfectly fine. Oddly only SDC is my least favorite, but that's mostly the fault of the anime pacing than anything else. I honestly can't believe that SDC is the most popular Jojo part.

cntr

Banned
The way the translator covered his mistakes up, a lot of shit is just plain misleading. Like when you read a line like "Fate is a sleeping slave", it's not obvious that it's a complete mistranslation, it just sounds like an Arakiism.

On top of that, Vento Aureo is a part that relies on subtle implication, like a mafia movie would. So it's a disaster.

And yeah, VA is flawed, but only just as much as the other parts are. We're willing to excuse other parts since we found them fun, but since the translator stripped VA of its fun, people are harsher with it than they would've otherwise been.

Erigu

The way the translator covered his mistakes up, a lot of shit is just plain misleading. Like when you read a line like "Fate is a sleeping slave", it's not obvious that it's a complete mistranslation, it just sounds like an Arakiism.
Wait, how is that a complete mistranslation?

yeah, VA is flawed, but only just as much as the other parts are.
All parts, over 30 years, just happen to be equally flawed?

wasn't sure whether to use Versus or Versace since the brand spells it "Versace"
? I'm not following you, there.
Based on the katakana spelling, the pun is on the line name "Versus".

I can understand the confusion behind Versus and Versace for English speakers, as in this situation the last syllable in Versace would be read kinda like "ché" if that makes sense. Hard to get if you're not familiar with other language conventions of course.

Also according to JoJo wiki, the proper Romanization would indeed be "Versus"

KingDirk

Are they still releasing the VA translations piecemeal/out of order? I want to revisit it but I would wanna do it consecutively

Alright, we've discussed who our favorite Jojo's are, but who is your favorite Jojo sidekick?

And why is it Gyro?

EWihMFC.jpg

Screw Hermes; she was the real sidekick of Part 6 and deserved better than to die giving her life for a scumbag like Anasui.

...Come to think of it, how would FF be affected by Made in Heaven? Would the plankton dry out or would the body they're inhabiting rot away first?

cntr

Banned
You know, the openings tend to spoil who's going to become an ally, like with Polnareff, Kakyoin, and Okuyasu, right?

Stone Ocean is gonna have the best twist on that, since people are going to go "Oh hey, it's that girl with the green hair from the opening and...she just died??"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom