• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Giorno is fabulous, but Josuke and Jolyne are great too. Jotaro's DiU outfit is smooth, his SO and SDC outfits are alright. I love Gappy's outfit, but you guys don't? Not even Soft 'n Wet can steal that taste, because there's no taste to steal.

Jonathan and Joseph are alright, they need more hats. Johnny is literally wearing pyjamas.

When the HELL is Viz going to give us more information on the Blu-Ray release? Like seriously, a release date would be nice. It's been almost half a year since they announced it. What's taking them so long?

They're taking so long because they're working out the legal stuff necessary to revert all the names back to the original music references.

...I can dream, can't I?

Giorno is fabulous, but Josuke and Jolyne are great too. Jotaro's DiU outfit is smooth, his SO and SDC outfits are alright. I love Gappy's outfit, but you guys don't? Not even Soft 'n Wet can steal that taste, because there's no taste to steal.

Jonathan and Joseph are alright, they need more hats. Johnny is literally wearing pyjamas.

Johnny has the best hat tho

Matsukaze

I really hope that, years from now when the Part 7 anime gets announced, DavidPro recreates one of the SBR cover images to use for promotional materials in ads - preferably either the one where Johnny is clinging to Gyro's leg with his hand near his crotch or the one where Gyro is holding Johnny like he's about to ride him sideways. Those two are awesome.

cntr

Banned
I wonder what people are going to say when the Stone Ocean anime hits and Dio gets a shitton of retroactive character development.

I wonder what people are going to say when the Stone Ocean anime hits and Dio gets a shitton of retroactive character development.
I dunno about you guys but by that point I was kind of tired of Dio. Like why does EVERYTHING have to go back to Dio jeez.

well that's the theme of part 4 to 6, the aftermath of Dio

I personally really liked Stone Ocean Dio.
I'm not sure I agree with that in regards to part 4... Dio's relevance was really just that Part 4 explained how some of the Stand users came about, and that Jotaro had defeated Dio. In Part 5 Dio was... Giorno's dad. Full stop.
I kind of liked that in Part 4 and 5 that Dio was a callback, rather than integral, but by the time I got to 6 it just felt like "Really? Dio again?"

I was also annoyed at Za Warudo at the end of 7, but then again, I shotgunned the series. I definitely recognize the hype behind it, just probably didn't do as much for me haha.

cntr

Banned
Yeah fair enough, but I was happy Dio finally got upgraded into a complex character, so it didn't bother me.

If I remember correctly, Araki's said that the Part 7 thing was his final send off to Dio, since the series wouldn't have anything to do with him going forwards.

cntr

Banned
5T0LXo0.jpg

5FU1IO1.jpg

fBTk1um.jpg
This exists.

All muscles disappeared from the world in 1999.
The year when gains got replaced by excessive fabulousness. Though some of the old characters lose their charm when not drawn muscular. I'm Okish with a shrunk down Jotaro, but the Pillar Men and Part 3 DIO need the gains.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, something I really love about part 5 is how Bruno's group are never painted as the explicit good guys in all this. The whole stories is about conflict within the mafia, as various groups try to off each other for various reasons and the main character especially is out for the big boss's head. Nobody really feels like some "lol I'm here to fight you because DIO" opponent like in SDC, everyone's got some motivation even if it's just "I must avenge my comrade who you killed for trying to kill you." Makes everything feel more, not sure of a good term for this really. Grounded, I guess?

I just love stories like that, where you have a good guy who has no problems killing otherwise innocent civilians if they interfere with his goal, and bad guys who aren't mustache-twirling evildoers but not a bunch of "woe is me" sad sacks either. They're all gang members, in a big gang fight that happens to be batshit insane because stands.

Okay now, I know y'all love ranking parts but how about we rank fashion. Who's the most fashionable, fabulous motherfuckers in each part?

Edit: Fuck I'm on the bottom of the page, now nobody will see this ;__;

Giorno starts out as an explicit good guy, though. His entire motivation to join the mafia is that he wants to prevent gangstars from selling drugs to the community. Plus the main reason he turned Polpo's gun into a banana was because Black Sabbath killed an innocent old man.

Bruno is portrayed as a good person early on, too. The only reason Gio doesn't beat the shit out of him is because Bruno hesitated when he saw that the kid's arm he was using to punch Gio was riddled with injection marks. And his backstory sets him up as a good kid, which is why he didn't want to leave his father alone. Most of part 5's core cast have backstories which show their good natured side.

Gio and co. are still brutal and are willing to harm civilians if they have to, but they're still portrayed as heroes overall.

cntr

Banned
They're good people, but also bad people. Giorno's like Jonathan in how he'll do anything to defend the weak, but he's like Dio in that he'll do anything.

Siegcram

Gio and co. are still brutal and are willing to harm civilians if they have to, but they're still portrayed as heroes overall.
That's stretching the term "hero" preeeeeety far. The gang isn't Ciocolatta/Diavolo evil, but they are still far from heroes. They're gangsters with a code as opposed to murderous psychopaths like the rest of the operatives.

Matsukaze

I'm not sure I agree with that in regards to part 4... Dio's relevance was really just that Part 4 explained how some of the Stand users came about, and that Jotaro had defeated Dio. In Part 5 Dio was... Giorno's dad. Full stop.
I kind of liked that in Part 4 and 5 that Dio was a callback, rather than integral, but by the time I got to 6 it just felt like "Really? Dio again?"

I was also annoyed at Za Warudo at the end of 7, but then again, I shotgunned the series.
I definitely recognize the hype behind it, just probably didn't do as much for me haha.
I actually enjoyed Dio in Part 6 because it fleshed him out as a person more than Part 3 did. I liked seeing Dio having conversations and growing close to Pucci.

As for The World's cameo in SBR, I have mixed feelings about it. I thought it was hype as a "Yoooooooooooooo!" kinda moment, but at the same time, even with Za Warudo, I just didn't care about Diego the way I did with Funny Valentine.

Matsukaze

Are you shittin' on Diego? well Another World Diego is alright, but the original Diego's bloody great.
I'm talking about Another World Diego.

Diego w Scary Monsters is hype as fuck in his own right, but if you're asking me to choose between Diego and Funny Valentine, I'm going with Funny Valentine every time.

Matsukaze

I did like the twist at the end. In the original universe, Dio's severed head kills Jonathan. In the SBRverse, Dio's severed head kills Dio.

Alright, let me just say this.

Giorno's not some Dio-level bad guy, but he's not a Jonathan-tier good guy either. He's a good guy in that he's out to take over the mafia to put a stop to peddling drugs to kids, but at the same time good guys don't force a dude to shoot theirself in the head in retaliation for the lost life of an innocent. I don't think any JoJo would go that far outside of...Maybe Josuke, but he'd just turn Polpo into a fixture on the wall or some shit lol.

On another note, Diego with Scary Monsters is great, and I'll be damned if his turn against Funny Valentine wasn't the hypest shit.

cntr

Banned
He's kind of like Phantom Blood Dio with more morals and a lot more chill. Specifically, he's like Dio before he became a vampire, all polite and shit but also brutal.

cntr

Banned
He
never finds out what kind of guy Dio was, and basically imagines him as a great person and the dad he never had.
(not really spoilers, but just in case)

Well that explains the fan comic I posted on 325. Only Jonathan seems to have any sort of respect for Dio...and I would assume Pucci, too bad Giorno couldn't track that man down.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
They're good people, but also bad people. Giorno's like Jonathan in how he'll do anything to defend the weak, but he's like Dio in that he'll do anything.
That's stretching the term "hero" preeeeeety far. The gang isn't Ciocolatta/Diavolo evil, but they are still far from heroes. They're gangsters with a code as opposed to murderous psychopaths like the rest of the operatives.

The code the gang sticks to is what makes me think of them like that. Most of the cast is relatively heroic and good-natured, but they're also the closest to being anti-heroes prior to part 7 since they're still gangsters at heart.

Alright, let me just say this.

Giorno's not some Dio-level bad guy, but he's not a Jonathan-tier good guy either. He's a good guy in that he's out to take over the mafia to put a stop to peddling drugs to kids, but at the same time good guys don't force a dude to shoot theirself in the head in retaliation for the lost life of an innocent. I don't think any JoJo would go that far outside of...Maybe Josuke, but he'd just turn Polpo into a fixture on the wall or some shit lol.

On another note, Diego with Scary Monsters is great, and I'll be damned if his turn against Funny Valentine wasn't the hypest shit.

Johnny would do that in a heartbeat if he could, regardless of whether or not Polpo had murdered anyone.

Matsukaze

Well that explains the fan comic I posted on 325. Only Jonathan seems to have any sort of respect for Dio...and I would assume Pucci, too bad Giorno couldn't track that man down.
"Respect" is an understatement for Pucci's opinion of Dio.

I'd also say that some of Dio's henchmen in Part 3, like N'Doul, genuinely respected him. Vanilla Ice definitely did lol.

"Respect" is an understatement for Pucci's opinion of Dio.

I'd also say that some of Dio's henchmen in Part 3, like N'Doul, genuinely respected him. Vanilla Ice definitely did lol.
Pet Shop also loves him...can't pump Pet Shop for info though and yeah Vanilla Ice would do anything for Dio. I think once you take a step back from the perspective of Dio as a villain it's easy to see that people pretty much worshipped the guy.
Pucci didn't respect Dio,
he was Dio's gay lover.
Probably.
Oh god. I'd believe it too. Dude does seem pretty omnisexual.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Pucci's relationship with Dio was on a different level than his relationship with Vanilla Ice, too. Dio actually cared about Pucci instead of simply respecting his loyalty. He straight up tells Pucci that he's the only person who could put him at ease just by talking with him, and that he was afraid of losing Pucci.

Siegcram

The code the gang sticks to is what makes me think of them like that. Most of the cast is relatively heroic and good-natured, but they're also the closest to being anti-heroes prior to part 7 since they're still gangsters at heart.
Yeah, anti-hero is probably the best compromise. Which is weird since I can't think of too many 15-year old anti-heroes lol

Johnny would do that in a heartbeat if he could, regardless of whether or not Polpo had murdered anyone.
I thought about Johnny, and yeah the most likely thing he'd do is immediately kill Polpo after all the Black Sabbath shit lol.

Gyro would just look on in fear, wondering how a JoJo could be so merciless and yet not be affiliated with anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom