• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Merry Christmas!
VJUa8Rq.jpg

Voror

One thing I do like is how Stand abilities seem to get crazier with each part. Gold Experience and Sticky Fingers are awesome thus far and I'm only a few chapters in.

Anyone have any of the Stand figures from Medicos? Been eyeing a few.

DominoKid

Who is commonly considered the most popular JoJo?

Anybody in here ever get the feeling that some people watching Jojo just aren't built to enjoy Jojo?

i only feel that way when people ask questions about why certain things happen, or why X character didnt do ______. it's fucking jojo. just go with it.

i only feel that way when people ask questions about why certain things happen, or why X character didnt do ______. it's fucking jojo. just go with it.
But I ask those and perfectly enjoy Jojo. Sometimes it's just very blatant that Araki is making shit up as he goes along or forgets about something that he stated himself. And to answer your question I think Joseph is considered the most popular Jojo.

The worst thing about Giorno is that he's not even the main character of his own part. Buccaletti is.

I like that Jotaro shows up in part 4 and 6 though and he's one of the most important JoJo's

Matsukaze

Not to diss his appearances in Parts 3 or 4, but Part 6 really makes Jotaro more interesting as an individual. His neglectfulness as a father (and its impact on Jolyne) is one of the most affecting flaws of all the JoJos. As a reader, my emotional investment in SO developed so early specifically because I was so intrigued by Jolyne's relationship with her loving-but-unapproachable dad.

Plus Jotaro's Stone Ocean gear is his best, so that's a little bonus.

I think Stone Ocean has my favorite art style thus far (though reading it all in color helps a lot too) and I don't really see it being topped. Wish Araki woulda stuck with this one, sucks also that it's going to be years before i see it in motion.

Fucking Kira will not let a man die with their socks on inside out, little shit like this is why I like Kira so much. Too bad I gotta wait till Pucci for a villain as interesting as this. I like Jotaro in Part 4, "Because your face is going to end up even uglier" *finger scrape on hat bill* I have my screen paused at the moment Killer Queen is getting Ora'd and by the look on his face he's not having a good time.

cntr

Banned
Jotaro's the most iconic Jojo, but I'm not sure if he's the most popular. I'm sure there's a wide range of opinions.

Joseph and Josuke are the most popular anime Jojos, and Jolyne will join that list when Stone Ocean airs. And those three + Gappy are the most popular in the English manga fandom, so that's not a surprise. And yeah, Part 4 and 6 sold me on Jotaro, and I appreciate him much more even in Part 3.

I think Stone Ocean has my favorite art style thus far (though reading it all in color helps a lot too) and I don't really see it being topped. Wish Araki woulda stuck with this one, sucks also that it's going to be years before i see it in motion.

Have you read Steel Ball Run? That's peak Araki in terms of art style

cntr

Banned
oh yeah, when you get to Steel Ball Run, remember to switch to the b&w version. The color for SBR was done by different people than the previous parts, and it's kind of bad. Especially since Araki's art gets so good.

I'm probably going to break between Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run, but while I haven't read it yet I have seen its art and I gotta say SO is still my favorite, especially in color.

Also do you know the names of which team did the best job so I can pick their version?

Also also, Is anyone a little afraid that they might censor future parts of Jojo because of how weird and fucked up they get in places?

cntr

Banned
Also also, Is anyone a little afraid that they might censor future parts of Jojo because of how weird and fucked up they get in places?
They got away with Kira doing some legit freaky shit, right? And aside from Baby Face, it doesn't really get worse than that. All we gotta worry about is the censor blobs.

isn't metallica the one that
sticks metal inside of your stomach
Not your stomach but all over your body because of the iron in your blood. But what he's saying is its going to be hard to depict due to the way the anime censors gore and he's right. Metallica is quite gruesome and writhes around in flesh and blood which Is a big no no on the anime.

Green Day will be pretty bad too.
They got away with Kira doing some legit freaky shit, right? And aside from Baby Face, it doesn't really get worse than that. All we gotta worry about is the censor blobs.
Yeah you're right, dude was taking hands left and right, murdering children, etc.

Polo's death was pretty cold blooded though, especially for the protagonist and the user of Greatful Dead gets stuck in train wheels and mutilated

There's a drunk guy in part 5 who dies because he mistook a water fountain for a urinal.
That's not why he dies. He dies because Green Day was activated and it was spreading a disease throughout the city that caused people's bodies to break down and fall apart. He just happens to be the first person you see affected by it.

Looking back at it, Part 5 feels kinda undercooked, especially since Fugo has one fight then just disappears and after they kill Diavolo they don't really do much with the fact that Giorno is now in charge.

Even the epilogue is about Buccaletti which makes it even more clear that it's more his story than Giorno's

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
That's not why he dies. He dies because Green Day was activated and it was spreading a disease throughout the city that caused people's bodies to break down and fall apart. He just happens to be the first person you see affected by it.

I know that's how he died, but it's not the reason for him dying. Like fatty didn't explode when he found the sandwich, but he died because of it.

The lack of an explanation also makes the statement sound more absurd to people who haven't read part 5.

Looking back at it, Part 5 feels kinda undercooked, especially since Fugo has one fight then just disappears and after they kill Diavolo they don't really do much with the fact that Giorno is now in charge.

Even the epilogue is about Buccaletti which makes it even more clear that it's more his story than Giorno's

You should read the fan translation of Purple Haze Feedback at some point. It's a spin-off light novel set after the end of part 5, with Fugo as the main character.

It's also good, unlike a certain jojo novel.

I know that's how he died, but it's not the reason for him dying. Like fatty didn't explode when he found the sandwich, but he died because of it.

The lack of an explanation also makes the statement sound more absurd to people who haven't read part 5.
But I mean, he's not the only one that was affected by Green Day, it was the whole city, so unless the entire city got drunk and peed in a urinal which pissed of Green Day then I wouldn't say that's why he died. It's just the first instance you see of someone dying because of it.

You should read the fan translation of Purple Haze Feedback at some point. It's a spin-off light novel set after the end of part 5, with Fugo as the main character.

It's also good, unlike a certain jojo novel.
Will definitely do if I can find it, because Fugo is definitely the biggest disappointment of part 5 as it is, and purple haze is wasted on him. But Kraftwerk was wasted on a one off villain too.

We need a jojo version of this, with Araki's face

a8c.jpg

cntr

Banned
Araki mentioned that he planned Jojo as a trilogy ending with SDC, yeah? So the impression I get is that DiU and VA were planned as separate stories. Which makes sense, right? They're a slice of life and mafia story, the kind of story that wouldn't have a central character.

And before that, Battle Tendency feels like it was written first, and Araki wrote Phantom Blood afterwards as a sort of prologue. And so BT, DiU, and VA are the parts least connected to the rest of Jojo.

plus Araki's the kind of guy who'd experiment with making the title character less important.

Araki mentioned that he planned Jojo as a trilogy ending with SDC, yeah? So the impression I get is that DiU and VA were planned as separate stories. Which makes sense, right? They're a slice of life and mafia story, the kind of story that wouldn't have a central character.

And before that, Battle Tendency feels like it was written first, and Araki wrote Phantom Blood afterwards as a sort of prologue. And so BT, DiU, and VA are the parts least connected to the rest of Jojo.

plus Araki's the kind of guy who'd experiment with making the title character less important.

I mean, I guess, but even then there's a departure from how much character development and screen time Josuke gets a long with Koichi and even Okuyasu compared to a lot of the main cast of VA and Giorno feels secondary next to Buccaletti when you don't really get that feeling in DiU, then there's also the fact that no one in the main cast of DiU just kinda stops existing.

Also again, Giorno says he wants to become a gang-star and take over the leaders position and make the town a better place and then they just kinda kill Diavolo and its all over. Not even a few pages of him taking over and showing the effect his leadership has had on the gang.

Trish and Mista were probably the best parts of 5 outside of Buccaletti

I kinda liked the sudden ending to part 5. There wasn't any real need to showing what boss Giorno would do to change Passione, the main conflict was resolved and he had achieved his goal. Enough said.

I definitely see how other people wouldn't like it, but to me there wasn't any need to elaborate any further than that final panel with Giorno sitting in his throne.

Maybe I'm just a BIG FUCKING VENTO AUREO FANBOY though, what do I know mirite

Part 5 definitely isn't bad by any regard and I had a lot of fun with it, I liked that it was more adventurous, I liked that he uped the ante with the new stands and I liked a lot of the ideas, designs and encounters and it was a wild ride from start to finish. I like the Doppio/Diavolo concept but it definitely feels like a lot of it could've been executed better.

That last part especially, I think it would've been a much more impactful reveal if you have Doppio following the gang from the beginning and have him reporting in to the boss from the shadows which is why he knows where they are at all times and then slowly have him become more and more unhinged until the big reveal near the end with
Doppio being Diavolo

But yeah, a lot of the encounters were top notch, though it sucks that so many cool stands got wasted so easily. Kraftwerk would've been super cool on one of the main cast and again, Purple Haze gets one fight before he stops existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom