• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickroach

I started and finished Phantom Blood in the past few days, after having NO idea, 0%, what Jojo was about. I figured it was gonna be a lot more light hearted based on the few pictures I've seen here and there. good shit. I'm gonna try to get all caught up by the end of next month. and now it's time to avoid this thread till the end of next month. cya!

Isn't Stone Ocean title dropped or am I remembering that wrong.

tumblr_oittlxqSYu1qhhv13o1_1280.png

Is it a translation only thing? Hell if I know but there it is.

Erigu

Also what, who cares whether the title is directly tied to the story
You make it sound like that's a rhetorical question. Surely, you don't believe nobody cares whether the title is tied to the story, do you?

Also, what makes a title good, according to you, then?

cntr

Banned
A title is good when it sounds good. If I saw any of Jojo titles written on a book in a store, I'd pick it up.

Maybe it's a language thing, but I honestly can't think of that many good titles which are anything but loosely related to what the story about.

cntr

Banned
Glad to hear it.

I'm pretty sure the naming of Stone Ocean is supposed to be a metaphor for what ended up happening to Jolyne akin to being thrown into the bottom of the ocean and having to swim her way up.

The ocean in this case is a prison sentence she doesn't deserve. She makes the metaphor when she's naming her Stand and that's why it's named Stone Free.
I read it as a more literal metaphor, too -- the prison itself is a "stone ocean".

Querilous

Banned
"Stardust Crusaders", "Diamond Is Unbreakable" and "Vento Aureo" are alright.
"Phantom Blood" is... Is that supposed to be a reference to Jonathan and Dio not being blood-related but still "brothers"? A bit weak...
"Battle Tendency" could work for any part. It's just bleh.
"Stone Ocean" is kinda bad. "Stone" kinda works for a prison, and is part of Jolyne's Stand name, but the "Ocean" part? Was the location of the final fight supposed to justify that?
"Steel Ball Run" keeps reminding me that it's a complete coincidence that the race is called that and Gyro uses steel balls as a weapon. So fucking dumb.
"JoJolion" is crap. Araki just went with some shit he vaguely (and poorly) remembered and called it a day.

I don't especially get these distinctions. Like, how is "Stardust Crusaders" or "Golden Wind" a more 'fitting' title for their respective parts that any of the others?

Like take SC. "Star" is a reference to the birthmark, okay, but "Stardust" means... what?
As for "Crusaders", that kind of works if treated as a very general description, along the lines of "warriors", but "crusaders" has a lot of subtext that "warriors" doesn't that doesn't seem to apply here.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Coming into the argument late, but as a book person a title is super important and if it means something also super important then thats really great. I think not liking a title or feeling like it has nothing to do with the story detracts from the story itself is valid criticism. Titles are super important to me yo

Incidentally i love all jo jo titles i think they're great.

Matsukaze

Here, try some handy alternatives

Part 1: Vampires are Dicks
Part 2: Ancient Superbeings are Dicks
Part 3: Vampires are Still Dicks
Part 4: Serial Killers are Dicks
Part 5: Mafiosi are Dicks
Part 6: Religious Nuts are Dicks
Part 7: Political Leaders are Dicks
Part 8: Joshuu is Such a Dick

Phantom Blood is such a good title

see it's tied to how Dio and Joseph are technically brothers, thus 'phantom blood'

and it also explains the mask, thus 'blood'

and dio becomes a phantom that haunts the joestar line, thus the 'phantom

so deep. Such a good title. I should do a breakdown of all the titles but they are all perfect for their parts.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if I should brush up on Italian insults for the Vento Aureo thread

e: "You're so shit, you should be in a turtle"

I don't especially get these distinctions. Like, how is "Stardust Crusaders" or "Golden Wind" a more 'fitting' title for their respective parts that any of the others?

Like take SC. "Star" is a reference to the birthmark, okay, but "Stardust" means... what?
As for "Crusaders", that kind of works if treated as a very general description, along the lines of "warriors", but "crusaders" has a lot of subtext that "warriors" doesn't that doesn't seem to apply here.

He likes Ziggy stardust

Erigu

"Stardust Crusaders", "Diamond Is Unbreakeable", "Golden Wind" and "Stone Ocean" refer to their protagonists' Stand names. Which is something (again, see "Battle Tendency" and how it could fit pretty much any other part).

Then, I guess you could say the Joestar party was on a "crusade" to defeat Dio, that the "Unbreakable" thing is somewhat fitting when the main enemy is someone who blows things up, and...
... Yeah, okay, the "Wind" thing is super vague. Then again, it's also vague enough that you can make it work kinda/sorta, make it about the influence Giorno had on his friends / the organization or something like that.
Still, I'm having more trouble with "Ocean". The prison is an ocean? Whah? That's... an interesting image. To me, a prison is primarily a closed, confined space, so errr. Well. I also vaguely remember Araki saying something about the "Ocean" part being a reference to Jolyne being female, which makes almost as much sense.

Matsukaze

I am legit curious how italian the music is going to be. Thats probably what i am most looking forward to for part 5
If I had my way, VA would be packed with Italian-influenced music. Imagine having some stirring Andrea Bocelli playing while Giorno pretends to drink piss. Magical.

Also, we would have Gangster's Paradise for the ending theme. :p

cntr

Banned
No, that Savage Garden song was actually from the 90s. I remember one of my friends flipping out since he listened to it as a kid.

No, that Savage Garden song was actually from the 90s. I remember one of my friends flipping out since he listened to it as a kid.

oh right yeah that was ED1. I totally forgot about it. How long did they keep it though? I feel they switched out of it pretty fast.(I'll be honest I tuned out of the ending song music they played around the time...shigechi died)

cntr

Banned
If they wanted to go literal, they could get Master of Puppets, since it's what the plot of the first half is based on and Risotto Nero is technically the main villain.

As much as I love metal and Metallica I feel like Metallica before black album would be too intense.

Something off of Load/Reload would be cool though, especially since metallica's stand cry is "Load" maybe Where the Wild things are.

Something off of Iggy Pop's Post Pop Depression would make my life as an ending song.
But that's definitely not happening

Would kinda fit for Stone Ocean though

cntr

Banned
If they're planning to go for era-appropriate songs like SDC and DiU, would they go with something from the early 00s (when SO was written) or from the 10s (when it was set)?

I'd assume when it was set, we'll probably be around 2019 by then anyway.
So I again vote for ain't no rest for the wicked
Actually 'always something' would work better

Breads

Banned
Every time I think about stone ocean I am endlessly amused by how not representative of this part of Florida it is.

Note that I say this part of florida - I am supposedly around where Stone Ocean takes place.

Thud

Every time I think about stone ocean I am endlessly amused by how not representative of this part of Florida it is.

Note that I say this part of florida - I am supposedly around where Stone Ocean takes place.

I don't know, those alligators near Cape Canaveral might have stands in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom