• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
hzbD3Dx.jpg
Nice to see Shizuka get a job at Starbucks.

PixelatedBookake

Do you guys think that JoJolion is isn't that great so far? I know we're about half-way though and all, but coming off of Steel Ball Run, I feel somewhat disappointed by Part 8. I don't really care about any of the characters except for Josuke. Norisuke is cool but the rest of the family are either unlikable or just there. The Rock Human/Rokakaka plot isn't very interesting to me after the family faced Damo because finding out Josuke's origins was the most compelling element of JoJolion. By now, in previous Jojo parts, there was an ensemble cast of characters I cared about or at the very least enjoyed watching them fight other stand users. I'm not gonna quit Jojo since I've made is this far, but since the Josuke mystery is solved, and the Rokakaka story is a bore to me, I'm more or less trudging through the chapters at this point.

cntr

Banned
Jojolion's weird, but I love it.

I get where you're coming from, though. The characters are all weird and strange and JJL is being written like DiU, the plot and structure isn't obvious except when you're looking back. And the monthly chapters are a pain.

Do you guys think that JoJolion is isn't that great so far? I know we're about half-way though and all, but coming off of Steel Ball Run, I feel somewhat disappointed by Part 8. I don't really care about any of the characters except for Josuke. Norisuke is cool but the rest of the family are either unlikable or just there. The Rock Human/Rokakaka plot isn't very interesting to me after the family faced Damo because finding out Josuke's origins was the most compelling element of JoJolion. By now, in previous Jojo parts, there was an ensemble cast of characters I cared about or at the very least enjoyed watching them fight other stand users. I'm not gonna quit Jojo since I've made is this far, but since the Josuke mystery is solved, and the Rokakaka story is a bore to me, I'm more or less trudging through the chapters at this point.

yeah i feel the same way and agree with what you said.

PixelatedBookake

Jojolion's weird, but I love it.

I get where you're coming from, though. The characters are all weird and strange and JJL is being written like DiU, the plot and structure isn't obvious except when you're looking back. And the monthly chapters are a pain.

The problem for me is the characters are weird but they're not likable or memorable. They show up for an arc to fight Josuke then they disappear to the background of the Higashikata household. I could name every member of the Crusaders, Duwang Gang, Passione, Jolyne's Prison Buddies, and Steel Ball Run's supporting cast off the top of my head so when you have as much chapter length and content that Jojo has now, that should leave more time for character development or memorable scenes from characters that aren't Jojo. This part feels every aimless and meandering. I often spend more time thinking about what the next Jojo part will be then caring about when the next chapter will come out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I did the dumb thing of actually reading Hunter X Hunter, instead of just stopping where the Anime Ends. Welp, now I'm in Hiatus hell. At least I'm not very attached to the series.

cntr

Banned
It's a well known fact that Miura died, and every chapter since then has been an intern meticulously copying his style while they pretend he's still alive.

Jojolion is on route to being my second favorite part behind part 7 if it keeps up.

Considering how much I don't like Diamond is Unbreakable as a whole, that's really surprising.

SalvaPot

ok, so. Part 6: Stone Ocean.

Few, where to begin.

Ok, first our protagonist. Jolyne Cujoh is awesome. She has a well defined personality and a great reason why she is how she is. The fact that he was neglected by Jotaro is both hilarious, sad and, well, but judging by what we know of him by having him be important in the last 2 part, makes complete sense. In a lot of ways I see a lot of Joseph in her and I can tell she would have been spoiled by Joseph if they ever get to interact (Why was that never a thing? Great-Grampy Joseph. Maybe Jotaro never let the other members of the Joestar family know he had a family? Who knows...).

Anyway, back to Jolyne and how her arc compares to the previous ones. My main issue with Giorno is that his arc didn't felt personal to him, making Part 5 feel like he is a support character rather than the protagonist until the very end, so the ending of Part 5 felt like it was not earned. Part 6 fixes all of this by making Stone Ocean be 100% about how Jolyne is fucked over by Father Pucci's plan. She is extracted from her self-destructive yet pleasant life into a max security jail where she has to fend for herself. The interaction between her and Jotaro are really well done, they felt not only very personal but also believable. Her choosing to go back and try to save his dad and come to terms with her own identity was just great storytelling. Saying all of this, she is not a perfect characters and it could really be resumed as having "Daddy issues" and overcoming them, kind of funny or weird if you go from the perspective that she is a woman. That is another thing, her been a woman doesn't really defines her as a character. You could have easily swap her with a male JoJo and you could have the same story. She is a mix between Joseph (Creativity) and Josuke (Stubbornness) in a shiny new package and it works.

The Setting. The setting is also really damn good. Making it a jail opens a lot of themes that we have already seen in previous JoJo parts but in a new light. Corruption, claustrophobia, anger, redemption, rehabilitation, evil. Its all there. And the villian... ok, I'll talk about the villain later. But the Jail makes all this characters meet and interact really easy and gives an extra layer of danger and creativity since they also go under the general radar.

Ok, let's talk about what, for me, is the weakest element of Part 6. The side characters. Full disclosure, I love their designs and powers, but personality-wise they are really not that great. Foo Fighters is the only really interesting one and it is, well, sentient plankton. Hermes is very one note in that she is angry all the time, Weather is cool and his twist was brilliant, but personality-wise he really didn't make a mark. Annasui is very funny when interacting with others (Him asking for Jolyne's hand in marriage to Jotaro? Solid gold) but I felt his reasoning that he was in just because he was infatuated by Jolyne was kind of lazy, even if it was really really funny. He did get better when he felt indebted to F.F., but not much after that other than a passing mention. Emporio is pretty cool too and vital to the story.

Let's go to the villain. Father Enrico Pucci is great. I love his scenes with DIO that seemed more like 2 teenage girls hanging out and talking about crushes and stuff, except they are actually talking about philosophy and shit. His motivation is one born out of despair and grief, twisted by the blond man. His backstory perfectly sold why he felt the need to make his plan work and why he would do it by any means necessary. Having the villain be the priest of the jail was also a brilliant move, since it made perfect sense and also gave him a clean, clear advantage over our heroes.

He was not only smart and powerful, he was also vulnerable and manipulative. His villain power was the first one that really required to plan ahead and outsmart his opponents, since it lacked the killing power of the main villains that preceded him. Also him "winning" makes perfect sense going by the theme of the arc.

And then, the ending. Oh man what a way to end it. I felt so robbed, yet so fulfilled. Justice prevailed, but at what cost? The final scene with Emporio seen familiar faces but knowing they are not exactly the same was as heartbreaking as it was sweet. He was able to save the life of his friends, but are they really his real friends anymore?

Honestly, the ending was such a curveball that I really can't tell if it was good or bad, its just what it is. There were really no winners, only results. With that all the previous parts are erased, at least for now, or rewritten? I guess I'll have to find out.

What I can say is this: I was extremely entertaining by the start and finish of this arc, the middle was a bit "slow" in that the abilities kind of dragged for a bit and got reaaaally wordy with backstories and reasons of why they existed, but they were still cool and creative.

And by the end of the day, the ending made me so eager to read Part 7. In part because it starts really strong and interesting (A brand new world! All new characters! ITS A RACE!) but also in part because I need to know if the characters I have spent years loving are really gone for good. Do they still exist, somewhere? Are they all different now? Am I going to see them again? What kind of Bizarre adventures I am going to enjoy now?

The potential is clearly there. It all cycles, it all spins, lets see where the story take us next.

but also in part because I need to know if the characters I have spent years loving are really gone for good. Do they still exist, somewhere? Are they all different now? Am I going to see them again? What kind of Bizarre adventures I am going to enjoy now?

The potential is clearly there. It all cycles, it all spins, lets see where the story take us next.

The implication (that is, the existence of Irene, Anakiss, etc), that I and other readers see, is that without Pucci existing in the new universe, that the Joestar line is able to have peaceful lives. Essentially, Pucci's existence fucks up everything.

So, Irene isn't in jail, she's got her friends, a better relationship with new!Jotaro, and among all this, only Emporio knows the truth.

Also the SBR universe is NOT the Ireneverse, so says Araki.

SalvaPot

The implication (that is, the existence of Irene, Anakiss, etc), that I and other readers see, is that without Pucci existing in the new universe, that the Joestar line is able to have peaceful lives. Essentially, Pucci's existence fucks up everything.

So, Irene isn't in jail, she's got her friends, a better relationship with new!Jotaro, and among all this, only Emporio knows the truth.

Also the SBR universe is NOT the Ireneverse, so says Araki.

Oh boy.

So he just introduced Multiverse theory to do whatever the fuck he wants. Can't complain, SBR is awesome so far.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, my impression is that the Ireneverse is the same as the original, except Pucci was erased from reality. So Part 1 to 5 happened mostly the same, Dio was a bit different. But Part 6 didn't happen, since ultimately Pucci was the cause of everything.

Oh boy.

So he just introduced Multiverse theory to do whatever the fuck he wants. Can't complain, SBR is awesome so far.

It's... complicated. The "Irene 'verse" is a new universe, but it's essentially an overwritten 'verse, like when you accidentally save over your older sibling's Final Fantasy savegame.

Steel Ball Run was originally started as its own series, independent of the JJBA name. Aside from recurring names like Joestar and Zeppeli, it wasn't even clear if Araki was continuing the series (seeing as Part 6's ending is a pretty friggin' final) or just using names from previous books he did (as he did with Gorgeous Irene).

It wasn't even until towards the end of its serialization as "Steel Ball Run" that Stands were even introduced. Once the series officially became Part 7, that's when Stands were brought back in force, starting with Tusk.

It's clear that it was all just marketing in the end, but seeing as Part 6 wasn't selling well towards the end of its run, it makes sense that Araki (or at least his editors) would want to do a bit of rebranding before starting up the JJBA series again.

cntr

Banned
I'll be blunt and say that I don't trust your interpretation of that link, Erigu. Because even from what little I do understand of what's written there, Araki's is saying "People who've read the ending of Part 6 will understand how Part 7 is connected to Jojo", which is considerably different from "SBR and the Ireneverse are the same".

Erigu

I'll be blunt and say that I don't trust your interpretation of that link, Erigu. Because even from what little I do understand of what's written there, Araki's is saying "People who've read the ending of Part 6 will understand how Part 7 is connected to Jojo", which is considerably different from "SBR and the Ireneverse are the same".
You don't understand well enough, then. I'd post the correct translation, but it contains a pretty big spoiler about Part 6 (I'm not sure how you missed it, actually).

EDIT: Ah, wait, this is actually the "safe" topic, I got confused for a moment, there. Alright, then: "I think someone who's read JoJo Part 6 would understand, but the world entered a new cycle, and that's the setting [of Steel Ball Run, as that's what the question was about]. Still, the theme isn't the depiction of a parallel world of JoJo. It's merely the premise of the story, and doesn't have anything to do with the plot."

cntr

Banned
Edit: I see where you're coming from, but "entered a new cycle" is still very ambiguous,
especially given D4C.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So, honest question.

Is this the best page of all time?

There's a distinct lack of "reverse the dinosaur infection with these corpse eyes!," "it's because they were idiots who didn't understand the concept of respect!," or Gyro raising his head to reveal the eye in his cheek, so I've gotta disagree here

SalvaPot

I rewatched that episode recently as well.

Gin criticizing jump and making it like dragonball (without yamcha).

What kills me is the new opening at the end of the episode. Talk about taking a joke to far and running away with it.

Edit: Also, I fucking love that Diego got to keep his Dinosaur ability.

Ezalc

People talking about animating part 7, I think that aside from it's length the fact that it's a horse race might require a lot more animation budget no?

cntr

Banned
The alternate version of Dio having DINOSAURS as a Stand power is one of my favorite twists in the series, tbh. Diego's great, praise Diego.

People talking about animating part 7, I think that aside from it's length the fact that it's a horse race might require a lot more animation budget no?
Yeah, horses are bloody hard to animate.

cntr

Banned
Another issue with Part 7 is that, well, from Part 1 to 6, most of the panels are just stylistic still shots. Which David Pro faithfully adapts.

But in Part 7, the panels aren't still, they have motion to them. Things are constantly moving and happening in SBR, and you can't adapt that as still shots and make it work.

Plus all that is on horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom