• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

First visual of the part 4 movie
news_xlarge_jojo.jpg

Querilous

Banned
God that looks terrible.

Like either reinterpret the outfit so it makes sense on an actual high-schooler, or go whole ham and make it super glossy and impressive. This just kind of looks like crap, and it doesn't even resemble Josuke's manga outfit!

convo

I really can't imagine Jojo working well in live-action.

They need better costumes. I want to see live-action Rohan to see how fabulous they are going to get with this. I've seen good jojo cosplays before but the whole world around those characters needs to be in weird colors for it to look good. Stands will probably be CG but what i would like better if they just made them invisible instead. Now that would be hilarious.

cntr

Banned
I'm not sure if I want to see how bad the cgi stands will be.

Wasn't there also a Stardust Crusaders movie in the works? Did that not pan out?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm looking into the year each Jojo part takes place.

Phantom Blood starts in 1880, most of it takes place in 1888, and it ends in 1889.
Battle Tendency is entirely in 1938
Diamond is Unbreakable is entirely in 1999 (Bizarre Summer)
Vento Aureo is entirely in 2001
Stone Ocean starts in 2011 and ends in 2012
Steel Ball Run dives into an alternate timeline and takes place entirely in 1890
Jojolion jumps ahead far to 2011

Now, the one thing I'm confused about is Stardust Crusaders.
Is it 1987-1988 or 1988-1989?
Apparently 88-89 was later retconned into it, but the anime mentions it starts in 87 with the teaser at the end of BT and the Great Days easter egg "SC 1987"

Am I crazy?

I'm looking into the year each Jojo part takes place.

Phantom Blood starts in 1880, most of it takes place in 1888, and it ends in 1889.
Battle Tendency is entirely in 1938
Diamond is Unbreakable is entirely in 1999 (Bizarre Summer)
Vento Aureo is entirely in 2001
Stone Ocean starts in 2011 and ends in 2012
Steel Ball Run dives into an alternate timeline and takes place entirely in 1890
Jojolion jumps ahead far to 2011

Now, the one thing I'm confused about is Stardust Crusaders.
Is it 1987-1988 or 1988-1989?
Apparently 88-89 was later retconned into it, but the anime mentions it starts in 87 with the teaser at the end of BT and the Great Days easter egg "SC 1987"

Am I crazy?

umm i thought it was 87-88 too

More poses and nonsense than ever before

Gee golly am I hot and bothered.

Also apparently this is a thing that exists.
Symbolizing the fact that JadedWriter and I are meant to be.

Chu14rqW0AInomV.jpg

Been watching JoJo with my sister, since now she's addicted to it like crack.

Just watched the episode with The Lock (forget the guy's name), my sister was legit crying over the "cat" in the bag at the beginning of the episode. I had to pause it and spoil what was going on for her.

My sister really likes cats. X_o

EDIT: To her credit though, that scene IS really fucked up, I mean I feel like shit watching it and I already know what's going on.

Just watched the episode with The Lock (forget the guy's name), my sister was legit crying over the "cat" in the bag at the beginning of the episode. I had to pause it and spoil what was going on for her.

EDIT: To her credit though, that scene IS really fucked up, I mean I feel like shit watching it and I already know what's going on.
Tamami really is a piece of shit, luckily everybody gets turned into a better person by Koichi-kun.
More poses and nonsense than ever before

Gee golly am I hot and bothered.

Also apparently this is a thing that exists.
Symbolizing the fact that JadedWriter and I are meant to be.

Chu14rqW0AInomV.jpg
Araki clearly has too much fun with his Stands...

Well, good luck with Stray Cat, I don't think she's going to get much solace out of that one

oh god you gotta post how she reacts to Cats Love Yoshikage Kira

Ezalc

Joshu is the best character in Part 8. I love that he is an irredeemable piece of shit. He isn't even likable like Rohan.

You mean entertaining, because Rohan is a gigantic asshole and only his antics make him likable. Joshuu is just a creeper that unfortunately, much like Rohan, has an awesome stand.

Pompadour

You mean entertaining, because Rohan is a gigantic asshole and only his antics make him likable. Joshuu is just a creeper that unfortunately, much like Rohan, has an awesome stand.

I guess I just really appreciate that Araki is defying convention and has continued avoiding giving him a hero moment despite him being a "JoBro." It's kind of like Araki defying convention by making the most terrifying villain so far a balding, fat guy with a fu manchu.

cntr

Banned
If Jojolion has a "jobro", it's Yasuho and/or Norisuke. Definitely not Joshu.

my personal theory is that Jobin will use the Rokakaka to fuse with Joshu and become the real final villain of Jojolion

Ezalc

I guess I just really appreciate that Araki is defying convention and has continued avoiding giving him a hero moment despite him being a "JoBro." It's kind of like Araki defying convention by making the most terrifying villain so far a balding, fat guy with a fu manchu.

Joshuu and Josuke aren't really friends though.

SalvaPot

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run.

I love the way this part starts. I have always thought Part 1 was underrated and in my opinion is not because of the fights, nor the characters, nor the plot, nor the setting. I think the most interesting concept of part 1 is the Ripple and its origin. It felt so rich, so meaningful and like such a natural tool that meant a lot and was meaningless at the same time. The demonstration on the frog is ones of my favorites in any piece of fiction when it comes to coming across what a power is about.

So why I am mentioning this? Because Part 7 goes back to this concept with the Spin. The Spin is a extremely clever and fun power that is part of nature and an essential part of the story all the way through the end, even after Stands are revealed to exist in this world. The Spin has a backstory, a purpose and is deeply related to our main characters. I love whenever I get to know more about its origin. I love whenever I get to see them use in new, creative ways. And I love how it ties in into the story.

Ok, I am getting a bit ahead of myself. Let's start with the setting. Steel Ball Run introduces itself as its own self-contained story, with no clues or apparent continuity connection to the JoJo storyline other than familiar names and references. Set at the end of the 19th Century, it starts in the same time period of the first Part of Jojo but this time in America.

This felt like a complete reboot in a lot of ways and a extreme change of pace after the bittersweet ending of Part 6. I went into Part 7 in part excited but also kind of hoping I could get some closure from the ending of Part 6. I realized soon enough that this was a completely different world, yet similar in a way, and that I should enjoy the ride and take it at face value.

The plot itself is really interesting. A race across the country to win 50 million dollars, lots of colorful characters, a man with a mission for what he believes to be justice, and a man who had lost his will to live suddenly finds a new spin in life. I am sucker for race plots. Whenever I see the characters planning the route, checking the other competitors, getting closer to the goal, doing last-second struggle, I eat that up. And this was quite literally the greatest race of all time.

But what could have been a simple yet exciting race got its stakes raised way above with the underlying plot. What do you need to make your story more batshit insane? Add Jesus. The race is a vehicle for the President of the United States to collect the mummified pieces of Jesus Christ scattered across the land. Ho-Ly Shiiieeet.

There is so much going in this part, but all running to the same goal, is nothing short of genius. The whole land is full of mysteries that are not explained in full, but explained enough to let you run wild with your own interpretations. I can't even phantom how much research went into getting this right. The visuals, the landscapes, the motivations, everything feels like beautiful piece of fiction that you kind of want to believe, even if you know its all bullshit and set in a world other than ours. Its just that good.

Ok, lets get to the characters. This one has my favorite cast in the series, if it has one weak link it has to be the JoJo of this part, Johnny Joestar, but even he is pretty good too. The true protagonist of this part is Gyro Zeppeli... let me express how happy I am to see a Zeppeli again. I love their confidence, class and even their tendency to show off and Gyro is front and center in Steel Ball Run. As always, he works as a mentor figure to Jojo, but this time around he has a more important mission of its own.

The relationship between Gyro and Johnny is my favorite out of any part. They start as strangers with one trying to catch up to the other and just building from there. There is so many quiet moments dedicated to them just talking and getting to know each other and it works just so well, it gives a lot of insight into who they are, they also complement each other so well with Johnny been more serious and his knowledge in horses coming vital time and time again, while Gyro and his unpredictability with his steel balls giving them always a fighting chance. They also get to really care about each other and their respective goals, to the point of been willing to sacrifice their own to help the other one. They are the best Jobros in the series.

Ok, lets talk about Lucy. How wrong I was about her. When I first saw her I was so sure she was going to be a damsel in distress, and I was kind of right, but she was so much more than that. Holy shit did she pull through time and time again out of the shittiest situations possible. She was the spanner in the works, the blind spot in the big bad plan of the villain and she did it all while still staying true to how a sweet, innocent 14 year-old girl with no power of her own could do. Every scene with her was just breathtaking and tense as fuck, she could be caught at any moment and I couldn't help but cheer for her.

I really liked how Stand powers got far more practical this time around. They were born out of desperation and context in pretty much every stage and were tied to the plot. This time around there was not that many cool designs when it came to Stands, since most of them were on their early stage, with the Stand Users still figuring them out or getting a grasp of them. This worked a lot because it made the characters themselves more interesting, pretty much all of them got a motivation and backstory in how they needed the ability to survive and they made them feel like the protagonists of their own story. I also really enjoyed how it tied into the search for the corpse.

Ok, now lets go for the Villain. Funny Valentine is delightful as the bad guy. He just has it all. His confidence, his grace, his deceitfully chubby body, his glorious hair and delicate face, it all worked. I could easily hear his voice in my mine everytime he had something to say. He had so much presence and every single time he was on scene I felt shit was about to go down. His ability is broken as fuck. Its perhaps the most cowardly of abilities, infinite tries as long as you can keep on running away, infinite time to come up with an strategy. And that was not even its final form. The whole train scene when he powered up was brilliant and his final battle... Perfect. His backstory been a clear homage to Pulp Fiction was also very funny.

Now, I have avoiding talking about Dio so far, mostly because, well, he is always great. He is ruthless, cunning and willing to do anything for victory. Funnily enough, this time it was a bit downplayed because, well, his rivalry with Johnny was kind of downplayed this time. I found it hilarious he was killed and then brought back just to end the Race and face once again against Johnny and completely beat him. But he is so cool and having him come back with THE WORLD, I am not going to lie here, was hype as fuck.

So, if I have something to criticize, I'll argue the ending felt kind of weak. I am not talking about Gyro and Johnny vs Valentine, that was awesome, and the final destiny of Valentine was fitting and satisfying. I mean the last stretch of the race and the epilogue. I am not a big fan of how Johnny was beaten by Diego, even if it had to happen so the corpse could get to the safe. I liked how Dio was beaten by Lucy, and I liked how Butters Steel came back to save Johnny. But I got no closure with Gyro, the kid he swore to protect died because of a cold and that just broke my heart, Pocoloco winning the race by default made sense, but man I am so sad we saw so little of this guy, he had this weird stand that we never got to see how it could fight, the few seconds we followed him was awesome, I wanted more of that. And then the corpse just getting locked, with no reveal of any kind and no one to know about it... that was kind of a let down, we just got a taste of its power with the President, I was kind of expecting for Dio or Johnny to tap into that power, but sadly that didn't happen. Oh well.

But that doesn't take for the exhilarating ride that Steel Ball Run was. It was simple in its concept but oh so full of riches in its execution, and the more you get into it the more you could see why it belonged in the JoJo saga. I am a few chapters into Part 8 and I can tell that its story its not over yet. Can't wait to know more about the True Man's World.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Pocoloco winning the race by default made sense, but man I am so sad we saw so little of this guy, he had this weird stand that we never got to see how it could fight, the few seconds we followed him was awesome, I wanted more of that.

It's a shame that Pocoloco just disappears for 80% of SBR. Even though his Stand was a glorified cheerleader, it was cool seeing all of the crazy stuff he was able to pull off due to luck. As for how it would fight, it can't really do anything other than give Pocoloco advice. From jojoveller:

Hey Ya!
A stand that only gives Pocoloco more courage, right? It doesn't really do anything. It doesn't make you lucky, but it can help you feel more optimistic.

Pompadour

Joshuu and Josuke aren't really friends though.

I use "JoBro" in quotations because I'm referring to him as an ally to the Jojo despite them having a pretty antagonistic relationship. I'm sure he'll be an ally during the final stretch but who knows with this series.

SalvaPot

It's a shame that Pocoloco just disappears for 80% of SBR. Even though his Stand was a glorified cheerleader, it was cool seeing all of the crazy stuff he was able to pull off due to luck. As for how it would fight, it can't really do anything other than give Pocoloco advice. From jojoveller:

I was really expecting him to be relevant by the last stretch of the race, somehow getting between Dio and Johnny and him winning the race that way. He was just so much fun.

Ezalc

Loved part 7, loved how we got a Zeppeli that stuck around more than the previous ones though I was still sad to see him ultimately pass. Gyro is amazing and still my favorite character of part 7.

I've said this before but the fact that most stands are items to be used instead of punch ghosts was something I really enjoyed.

Personally I wanted to see more out of Soundman, he seemed like a really interesting character and his fight wasn't that fun then he just dies and that's it. Kind of hoping he'd join the crew.

Put me in the camp that didn't like seeing The World come back, I thought Diego with Scary Monsters was much more interesting, especially since he was fighting stands hand to hand since he was his own stand. I thought that was fucking awesome.

Finally, Hey Ya is just a really good motivator stand. It does absolutely nothings besides tell you you're the best and that you can do anything. That's a great stand.

SalvaPot

Loved part 7, loved how we got a Zeppeli that stuck around more than the previous ones though I was still sad to see him ultimately pass. Gyro is amazing and still my favorite character of part 7.

I've said this before but the fact that most stands are items to be used instead of punch ghosts was something I really enjoyed.

Personally I wanted to see more out of Soundman, he seemed like a really interesting character and his fight wasn't that fun then he just dies and that's it. Kind of hoping he'd join the crew.

Put me in the camp that didn't like seeing The World come back, I thought Diego with Scary Monsters was much more interesting, especially since he was fighting stands hand to hand since he was his own stand. I thought that was fucking awesome.

Finally, Hey Ya is just a really good motivator stand. It does absolutely nothings besides tell you you're the best and that you can do anything. That's a great stand.

Oh yeah, talking about Soundman, it kind of took me out of the story a bit how his stand use Japanese words to attack, but then again I realized that was a really stupid thing to complain since they make it a point to explain that the 50 million bucks was a translation in today's money, so its there so it could be grasped.

But yeah, I liked how several times some characters seemed like they were going to join but they had their own personal missions to take care off, Hot Pants comes to mind.

Ezalc

Yeah Araki realized that the group would always need a healer of some kind. The good thing is that even with that "trope" he's found interesting ways to subvert it and have all the healers have different stands in terms of powers and their applications.

D-Man

Soundman was robbed, imo. Such an interesting character. I was super bummed out with how fast he was killed especially since there was that tiny bit of buildup regarding him becoming Diego's aid.

I know it's not even super likely, but just discussing SBR makes me wish that an anime adaptation does happens in the future. Such a great part.
I also just want to see Best President Valentine animated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom