• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Catching up to JoJoLion
Kira is the true Part 8 JoBro
Also Josefumi ORA ORA stomping is fucking gold and BRUTAL

EDIT: JoShit indeed
OYWaD1i.png

cntr

Banned
Uh why does Joseph have a bow and arrow?

http://nikunja.deviantart.com/art/Jojo-Liefeld-656325710

Do you remember the 90s? More importantly, 90s comic books? The horrible hairstyles, the ultra angry macho look, the medically dangerous female bodies and Superman's mullet.

It's easy to hate on those like Rob Liefeld today, but he wasn't an obscure artist, rather a major influence. I remember when I started having the idea of getting into drawing comic books, the cover for Captain America Heroes Reborn was something I would check often and thought about how these weird bodies and faces were the standard for the industry. But apparently it was just a phase and one that bankrupted comic books and that's why we can't have the Fantastic Four in the Marvel Universe today.

While making this one I was about to check references for a crossbow, but then it ocurred to me: "Rob Liefeld wouldn't check references for anything, he would just guess it" and so did I. The less I cared, the closer I got to his style, so there's a good (?) tip for all of you who want to learn how to draw like him.

Anyhow, Battle Tendency did have some of these ideas with the testosterone filled characters and nazi vampires, yet it still manages to be its own thing.

Siegcram

I appreciate the accuracy of everyone "holding" weapons not actually holding them in their hands. Liefeld was the inventor of the hovergun.

Only point of critique: Far to few pouches.

Yo I know Liefeld can't draw feet, but can he not draw fingers too?

I think the better question: "could Liefeld draw?"

The answer is yes, just like you or me. The longer answer is "yes, but not well, just like you or me."

Truth is, I'll give artists a pass on hands most of the time. They're fucking hard to draw. Heck, I bet Charlie Adlard breathed a sigh of relief when Rick's hand was cut off in The Walking Dead, because that's one less hand he had to draw on the main character ever again.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, off the top of my head, My Hero Academia and Jojo are the only two recent manga I've read where hands are prominent and well drawn. The rest aren't Liefeld bad, but they kind of avoid it.

Tizoc

That Part 2 artwork
Fucking GOLDEN

Hopefully he does another one for Part 2 though :p

Just finished Milagro Man arc. Pretty neat arc but man...the notion of having neverending money...It's a little enticing, damnit Araki.

Yeah, off the top of my head, My Hero Academia and Jojo are the only two recent manga I've read where hands are prominent and well drawn. The rest aren't Liefeld bad, but they kind of avoid it.

Saga is really good about drawing hands of all shapes, sizes, colors, and species.

Tizoc

So Walking Heart creates spikes on/from Hato's clothings? Would be rather pointless to have spikes emerge from just her feet :p

EDIT: Oh so Daiya from Diamond, Hato from Heart, so which one are named after Spade and Club?

Siegcram

So Walking Heart creates spikes on/from Hato's clothings? Would be rather pointless to have spikes emerge from just her feet :p

EDIT: Oh so Daiya from Diamond, Hato from Heart, so which one are named after Spade and Club?
Mitsuba: "three leaves", Clubs

Tsurugi: "sword" which is used synonymous with spade

And of course Kaato is just "card".

cntr

Banned
Yeah, and Mitsuba and Tsurugi use Japanese instead of English because they married into the family and are actually a guy, respectively.

Eff it gonna re-read Part 8.

Here's a better question for you
How many Young Sailors do you know have
4 testicles?
CAN YOU RESIST THE URGE TO CLICK THE SPOILER?!
But that's not new information to me.
I will not elaborate.

But I will also not pretend that actually reading JoJolion will answer your questions about Part 8. because it probably won't.
Doesn't this line of thinking apply to every Jojo part though?

Wrrrrrrryyyyyyyyeaaaaaah

Also why arent there jojo coloring books?

Goddamn, you reminded me of how happy I was to see Killer Queen return in Part 8. I love Part 4 so, so damn much, and Part 8 initially seemed really alien to that concept (still does, really; it's got some components of a JoJo story but still feels very abstract). But seeing Killer Queen and "Kira" show up again was a real treat.

Then when you get into the real nitty-gritty of it, and it turns out Yoshikage is the son of Holy Joestar-Kira, and his friend Josefumi is the son of the SBR 'verse equivalent of Sadao Kujo. So already, Josuke is essentially the SBR 'verse equivalent of Jotaro, but we can go even further back than that. There's just so many references to previous JoJos with this. It's so good!

Josefumi has the Joestar birthmark just like Yoshikage, meaning they're both descendants of the Joestar bloodline. But where Yoshikage is a direct descendant, Josefumi's parentage isn't 100% clear. We know via family trees that after Johnny's death, the entire Joestar family tree continued as usual, but with the bloodline being of Japanese-American descent, rather than British, down to Elizabeth (presumably not going by "Lisa Lisa"), Joseph, and even Suzie Q existing in the SBR timeline, completely unchanged.

So where's this all going? Simple: Josefumi is derived from Joseph's name pronounced in Japanese: "Josefu". While the events aren't very detailed (did Joseph fight Rock Humans using Spin in the 1930's? Did he have help from a cyborg nazi other than Stroheim, since a German cyborg participated in the Steel Ball Run?), there's a link that I feel is pretty clear between Josefumi and Josuke, both of whom were the "unknown Joestars" for a time. But while Josuke's parentage is immediately known, we didn't even know who Josefumi was initially; and when his birthmark shows up, all the fan theories come flowing out.

Simply put, I think Josefumi is Joseph's son. Or possibly the son of Joseph's son, assuming Spin doesn't slow your aging. It's shown to be capable of warping space/time, but it's not life energy like Ripple, so it's not 100% clear; no spin user in the series lived long enough for us to see how it affects your aging.

Anyway, JoJo coloring books would be awesome.

Apparently, being born in the 80's helped him with the whole "not becoming a serial killer" thing. Didn't stop him from being a complete sadist, though. And he's still got a hand fetish, too.
Ok...I should read Part 8...should I just skip to Part 5 and work my way up since I already watched Parts 1-4?

Ok...I should read Part 8...should I just skip to Part 5 and work my way up since I already watched Parts 1-4?

Just finish up Part 5 when the new scans are finished. That's what I'm waiting on before I go read through the last few arcs. I usually just tell people "read the parts in order, but hold off on Part 5 for now", so IMO you should be fine if you stick to that.

Just finish up Part 5 when the new scans are finished. That's what I'm waiting on before I go read through the last few arcs. I usually just tell people "read the parts in order, but hold off on Part 5 for now", so IMO you should be fine if you stick to that.
Is there anything highly important that was left out of the anime that I don't already know about through here for the earlier parts?

Is there anything highly important that was left out of the anime that I don't already know about through here for the earlier parts?

For Parts 1-4? Not really. They cut out some filler here and there; Danny's death is less gruesome, Joseph doesn't ask Rohan about an English release of PDB, and Part 2 is actually good.

For Parts 1-4? Not really. They cut out some filler here and there; Danny's death is less gruesome, Joseph doesn't ask Rohan about an English release of PDB, and Part 2 is actually good.
I actually finished Part 1, but I hit bit of a wall with Part 2 since I've watched it like 3 times and it's a bit long. I know all about Danny's fucked up death since I got to witness that shit in color. "Danny can put out fires with his body" the manga tells me. Didn't help him if his body is on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom