• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
crunchyroll has speed but I miss me some Commie.

Well iirc it's supposed to be like "*rumble*" but I guess menacing works.

Also, oh boy if we're already getting gems like Santviento I can't imagine what name changes we'll eventually get from Crunchy.

Well, now I want to stick to Commie.

Tizoc

tumblr_n3wb2no1Bj1qhhv13o1_500.png

That's not even a word....

dan2026

If Crunchyroll can't manage to do accurate subs, I'm done with them.

Seriously why change Santana?
Its a common Mexican name and word.

I wonder if they would respond on twitter if someone messaged them?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just finished reading Vento Aureo...

I don't understand the complaints about it being the worst part, or even about "noodle hair" Giorno being the worst JoJo. Sure, he's quiet and reserved, but he's a very likeable character. His strengths lie in his perception and his belief in his ideals. Definitely the smartest JoJo of the bunch, so far. By the end of part 5 I was pretty attached to all the members of Buccellati's gang, except for maybe Narancia, who I never warmed up to. It's too bad Fugo wasn't in half of part 5. The story itself wasn't as compelling as part 4, but it was more than serviceable and some of the fights are the coolest things I've ever read in manga. The fight against Ghiaccio and White Album was particularly impressive and is now easily one of my top 5 favorite anime/manga battles.

Doppio/Diavolo
was a really neat plot twist. Diavolo's stand is the most brokenly overpowered thing I've ever seen
except for Gold Experience Requiem.
I don't know how the rest of the series can top what's been shown here, at least in terms of powerful stands.

jgminto

I don't understand the complaints about it being the worst part, or even about "noodle hair" Giorno being the worst JoJo. Sure, he's quiet and reserved, but he's a very likeable character. His strengths lie in his perception and his belief in his ideals. Definitely the smartest JoJo of the bunch, so far. By the end of part 5 I was pretty attached to all the members of Buccellati's gang, except for maybe Narancia, who I never warmed up to. It's too bad Fugo wasn't in half of part 5. The story itself wasn't as compelling as part 4, but it was more than serviceable and some of the fights are the coolest things I've ever read in manga. The fight against Ghiaccio and White Album was particularly impressive and is now easily one of my top 5 favorite anime/manga battles.
The main problem with Part 5 is the translation. It's not Duwang bad but there's no alternative yet and it apparently removes a lot of the character from the gang, though I still found them fun. I don't mind Giorno either, he isn't one of my favourites but he's not really the focus of most of the part anyway. His battle against Green Day is one of the best in the entire series.

Doppio/Diavolo
was a really neat plot twist. Diavolo's stand is the most brokenly overpowered thing I've ever seen
I don't know how the rest of the series can top what's been shown here, at least in terms of powerful stands.
Heh, you don't have to worry about that.

Who did the part 5 translation?

I got into Jojo initially because of the part 5 PS2 game, so it has a special place in my heart, and it's also one of the most consistent with the music references, so I like it for that as well.

Bucellati is the true hero of pt. 5 tho

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love the Gang of Part 5.

Giorno, Bucellati, Narancia, Mista, Abbachio, Fugo (why Araki, why?), and even Trish is pretty neat despite being underutilized.

Most of the villains are pretty rad too, even if the final boss is a bit lacking.

If Crunchyroll can't manage to do accurate subs, I'm done with them.

Seriously why change Santana?
Its a common Mexican name and word.

I wonder if they would respond on twitter if someone messaged them?

To be fair, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and imagine that their hands are tied on which names to change.

jgminto

I'd totally be ok with them changing Fugo's power in the anime of part 5 so he doesn't have to be written out. I'm still surprised that even Araki couldn't write around Purple Haze.

Eusis

To be fair, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and imagine that their hands are tied on which names to change.
Yeah, isn't that a bit of a nightmare due to how much more sensitive companies are over here? Ideally the whole damn world wouldn't care about goofy references and name drops like JoJo does, but I guess something had to go wrong there to screw up the landscape.

dan2026

If they can't even use Santana then they are going to be fucked with Stardust Crusaders.
The music references are much more blatant.

And if their subs are crap, people will just go back to fansubs.

Tizoc

I'd totally be ok with them changing Fugo's power in the anime of part 5 so he doesn't have to be written out. I'm still surprised that even Araki couldn't write around Purple Haze.

Like many other manga authors, Araki makes shit up as he goes along.

Leezard

If they can't even use Santana then they are going to be fucked with Stardust Crusaders.
The music references are much more blatant.

And if their subs are crap, people will just go back to fansubs.

Isn't Vanilla Ice the only music reference in Stardust Crusaders?

dan2026

Isn't Vanilla Ice the only music reference in Stardust Crusaders?

No there are loads

Iggy (Iggy Pop)
Devo (Band name)
Jean Pierre Polnareff (Michael Polnereff/Singer)
Pet Shop (Pet Shop Boys)
Steely Dan (Band name)
Rubber Soul (Beatles Album)

There are a ton more but you get the idea.

To be honest I think all the references are why we have the 'this is a work of fiction/ no resemblance to people living or dead etc' warning.

Leezard

No there are loads

Iggy (Iggy Pop)
Devo (Band name)
Jean Pierre Polnareff (Michael Polnereff/Singer)
Pet Shop (Pet Shop Boys)
Steely Dan (Band name)
Rubber Soul (Beatles Album)

There are a ton more but you get the idea.

To be honest I think all the references are why we have the 'this is a work of fiction/ no resemblance to people living or dead etc' warning.
Oh, I see. I missed them completely.

Tizoc

Ezalc

Doppio/Diavolo

Aw hell no.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Aw hell no.
This really seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jonathon is more brawn than brain. He usually acts first, thinks later, and is extremely naive and prone to emotional, rather than rational, thought.

Joseph is clever, but he's not the book-smart type.

Jotaro's battle with D'Arby shows, again, that he's quite clever, but again, he doesn't seem very book-smart.

Josuke is more of a bro than a thinker. (They are usually mutually exclusive).

Giorno shows himself to be very perceptive, intuitive, and resourceful. He has all the cleverness of the previous JoJos without their impulsiveness. I feel like it's his willingness to sit back and think things out that puts him at a cognitive advantage over everyone else. He does seem to be the physically weakest of the five, though.

Then again, Jotaro is a marine biologist and Jonathon is a professional archaeologist (IIRC), so who knows. I also don't know anything about Jolyne, Johnny, or Jo2uke, so...

Ezalc

This really seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jonathon is more brawn than brain. He usually acts first, thinks later, and is extremely naive and prone to emotional, rather than rational, thought.

Joseph is clever, but he's not the book-smart type.

Jotaro's battle with D'Arby shows, again, that he's quite clever, but again, he doesn't seem very book-smart.

Josuke is more of a bro than a thinker. (They are usually mutually exclusive).

Giorno shows himself to be very perceptive, intuitive, and resourceful. He has all the cleverness of the previous JoJos without their impulsiveness. I feel like it's his willingness to sit back and think things out that puts him at a cognitive advantage over everyone else. He does seem to be the physically weakest of the five, though.

Then again, Jotaro is a marine biologist and Jonathon is a professional archaeologist (IIRC), so who knows. I also don't know anything about Jolyne, Johnny, or Jo2uke, so...

I never figured Giorno to be any more intelligent than any other Jojo, "book smart" or not. Joseph is probably the most quick-witted out of all of them but this could just be attributed to Araki's writing style of pulling things out his ass to make the hero win. Only difference with Joseph it was actually a part of his character which made it more fun and actually acceptable.

Also Giorno is a 15 year old kid, of course he's the physically weakest when you're comparing him to a bunch of adults like the first three Jojos who are basically walls, Josuke was pretty well built too, Jolyne
had to toughen up because she was being assaulted in prison. Johnny is the only one who might compare but he was a jockey and then became disabled. While Jo2uke we have no idea really but it seems he has at least something of a naval officer's bulk in him.

Watch Da Birdie

Li'l Bomber's actually pretty cool, it SOUNDS like the name of a Stand (like I mean in that it could be the name of a musician).

Watch Da Birdie

I still don't get how the musical references aren't okay in text form, but as far as I know the characters will still be screaming them out...

I mean, none of the accents are that thick that you can't tell they're yelling out "STICKY FINGERS!".

'Course, part of me was wishing against all odds they'd get dub voice actors since, unlike when I'm watching anime, I don't really like subtitles when playing games.

Card Boy

Banned
Just gave the demo a shot. Not as bad as you guys where making it out to be might wait till its like $20-30 for a local copy (which shouldn't take long) or PSN+ sale. Shame i will miss out on the pre-order DLC.

Get Back was too much to license so it's understandable unless they save it for the last episode like I want them to. Also new chapter of Jojolion tomorrow or even tonight.

The ED is something that I have gotten used to after one listen. I was hoping again for Roundabout, but that was exclusively for the Parts 1 & 2. I love how the studio licenses western music for the ED's

So I just started watching this series on crunchyroll. Always had an interest in seeing what the fuss was about, but the impending US release of All-Star Battle pushed me to start watching. The series manages to be cheesy, but still amazingly awesome. And I can't stop watching it. I'm only up to episode 10 so far, but it's been a blast.

Two things I noticed: Wow, Dio is a such a fucking asshole. And is it just me, or is
Robert EO Speedwagon completely useless? And he stole Zepeli's hat before the corpse was even cold! lololololol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom