• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

edit: I love the build up here
3tZBzi.jpg

Wish we got a dark haired Giorno costume in ASB. All of his costumes are so similar.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So while the digital version of Part 2 is coming out March 2015, the physical version will be out "Fall 2015"...

I didn't know there was a JoJo community thread. Since this is my first post here, I should probably answer the important questions.

Favorite Part: Steel Ball Run
Favorite Character: Blackmore
Second Favorite Character: Oyecomova
Least Favorite Character: Mountain Tim
Favorite Stand: Catch the Rainbow
Second Favorite Stand: Listen to my Rhythm
Least Favorite Stand: Oh! Lonesome Me
Favorite Moment: Link
Second Favorite Moment: Link
Least Favorite Moment: Link
Moment I Most Want to See Animated: Mountain Tim finally getting what he deserves

Yonafunu

I didn't know there was a JoJo community thread. Since this is my first post here, I should probably answer the important questions.

Favorite Part: Steel Ball Run
Favorite Character: Blackmore
Second Favorite Character: Oyecomova
Least Favorite Character: Mountain Tim
Favorite Stand: Catch the Rainbow
Second Favorite Stand: Listen to my Rhythm
Least Favorite Stand: Oh! Lonesome Me
Favorite Moment: Link
Second Favorite Moment: Link
Least Favorite Moment: Link
Moment I Most Want to See Animated: Mountain Tim finally getting what he deserves

dat hate

whats mountain tim ever done to you

1. Mountain Tim is a creepy asshole.

Mountain Tim only saves Lucy Steel from Blackmore and Valentine because he wants to sleep with her. After the rescue, Lucy is clearly grateful and they share a hug, but then Mountain Tim says some weird shit, which causes her to pull away.

"You belong to another man. But I want to be of help to you...Ever since we've first met, that's been my intention...I want to protect you from all the cruel things of the world."

Lucy instantly goes from shaking and crying her eyes out to looking just completely exasperated. ".............Mountain Tim. Maybe I've led you on...But the only person who could help me there...was you."

Translation: Your stupid rope power was actually useful for once. I will not have sex with you.

Undeterred, Mountain Tim claims that his only fear is losing Lucy and that he only wants her to welcome him with a smile.

Translation: Please just tolerate me. Also, I like looking at you. Also, I've known you for like a week but I want to be with you forever.

Lucy responds with like forty ellipses and looks at Mountain Tim like he's the stupidest asshole on the planet and then reaffirms her loyalty to her husband.

Mountain Tim, chivalrous cowboy that he is, then tells her to get help from someone else. What a hero. I'm sure Lucy Steel will fare better by herself against the guy who can murder people with rain.
She actually does.

But at least Mountain Tim keeps his mouth shut and protects Lucy, you say. Well, yes, but that keeps her safe for all of four seconds because...

2. Mountain Tim is an idiot.

When confronted by Blackmore about the phone call he received, Mountain Tim immediately and inexplicably pulls a gun on him. Well, you've just confirmed all of his suspicions.

Also, why would Mountain Tim pull a gun on a man who can control rain while it's raining and Blackmore is at his most powerful? And don't say Mountain Tim didn't know that Blackmore's power involved rain. He wasn't surprised when Blackmore was standing above him on top of raindrops, and he continues his assault (despite being allowed a reprieve) even after Blackmore does weird shit like reforming his body and making his mouth appear on Mountain Tim's arm.

Noble to the end, Mountain Tim refuses to sell out Lucy, but he's an idiot failure even in death because Blackmore immediately deduces that he was talking to Lucy because Mountain Tim tightly held her wet head against his chest, inside of his coat. Oops. Now Lucy's fucked AND there's no one to help her. Great work, sheriff.

3. Mountain Tim has a stupid power.

And if that's not enough, Mountain Tim's stand is a rope. Well, sliding his body along a rope. He can't actually conjure rope. This is comically situational. It is useful only twice, and he wouldn't have had to use it one time if he hadn't rashly grabbed the strange man digging through his luggage (Oyecomova) when he knew there were people with weird powers lurking around. Further, unlike other bizarrely specific powers, it isn't even all that powerful in that specific situation it was designed for. It's still just a rope.

Also, I hate his dumb zebra hat.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
But guys, Mountain Tim is totally the Speedwagon of the new universe. Isn't that awfu--er, great? ALL HAIL MOUNTAIN TIM AND HIS CREEPY FINGER ROPES

Also wish Pocoloco got more time to shine. Would've been cool in the gang. And again, HOW DID HE GET HIS STAND THERE WAS NO CORPSE PART ARAKI PLS

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Mountain Tim was just Speedwagon except actually useful. RIP never forget.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! Speedwagon was the Shaggy of JoJo and we loved him for it. He was the best face-making stuff-saying non-doing personmabob.

Even Speedwagon is afraid!

jgminto

ihW1hQaKjZGmD.png

Steely Dan is even dreamier in the anime. Can't wait for his sunglasses pose. I'm surprised The Lovers is going to be a two-parter. I bet they'll combine it with The Sun for the second episode, otherwise I don't see how it could sustain two episodes. Still hilarious that the shrinking stand ability is never mentioned or used again.

Tizoc

ihW1hQaKjZGmD.png

Steely Dan is even dreamier in the anime. Can't wait for his sunglasses pose. I'm surprised The Lovers is going to be a two-parter. I bet they'll combine it with The Sun for the second episode, otherwise I don't see how it could sustain two episodes. Still hilarious that the shrinking stand ability is never mentioned or used again.

Is the Lovers encounter really gonna be 2 parter though? Seems too much..

Tizoc

It says The Lovers Part 1 on the preview. If they combine it with the sun on the second episode it'd probably work.

I wonder if The Sun encounter was re-fan translated yet...as I forgot when it takes place lol.
EDIT: Yup seems they have, really hope Lovers and Sun are combined together because otherwise, they'll be padding this episode needlessly...

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, the 'SUN IS THE STAND' scene is gonna be fantastic in the anime and will warrant many lulz.

Tizoc

iqYaPTNBNMHrp.jpg

Best moment of The Sun.

I expected it to be the panel of Joseph yelling 'SON OF A BITCH' :p

Reading the Death 13 encounter...man this part might be heavily censored, some creepy ass stuff going on in this thing.

EDIT: Anyone know where one could buy the Tarots drawn by Araki?

Tizoc

Wait Jojonium is getting an official English release by Viz? Read this on a Tumblr, but anyone have an official source/news?

EDIT:
tumblr_inline_n8fdcvPflb1rsb07k.gif

Kurtofan

I wonder if The Sun encounter was re-fan translated yet...as I forgot when it takes place lol.
EDIT: Yup seems they have, really hope Lovers and Sun are combined together because otherwise, they'll be padding this episode needlessly...

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, the 'SUN IS THE STAND' scene is gonna be fantastic in the anime and will warrant many lulz.

Lovers is a pretty long story arc, there's no padding involved to make it a two parter.

jgminto

It's not really that long, they get to the town, Enya gets spored to death, Joseph gets Lovers planted in him, Jotaro has to act as Steely Dan's servant and Kakyoin & Polnareff shrink their stands and go into his head. Then they fight Lovers out of Joseph's head and Jotaro does his receipt one liner.

Kurtofan

You guys are forgetting a lot of details and scenes, like the haggling scene at the beginning, or when Steely Dan dances on Jotaro after telling him to make a bridge, or when he makes him commit a robbery and have beat up by guards, etc... When Kakyon has to hold back Jotaro at the beginning, etc...

It's easy to sum up a Part 3 fight (maybe a Jojo fight in general) in a few lines, but there's a lot of scenes that people tend to forget.

For example, who remembered that Enya made the zombies laugh after controlling Polnareff with his tongue?

No way all those scenes fit in a 23 minutes episode, if you animate everything (SD cracking his fingers making Joestar react, trying to posses a girl,etc...)

ChipotIe

Banned
My prediction.

It's not really that long, they get to the town, Enya gets spored to death, Joseph gets Lovers planted in him,

Episode one. (just imagine tons of exposition for Enya and the Lovers ability)

Jotaro has to act as Steely Dan's servant and Kakyoin & Polnareff shrink their stands and go into his head. Then they fight Lovers out of Joseph's head and Jotaro does his receipt one liner.

Episode two.

Also holy shit I forgot about the shrinking stands part. And wasn't the fact that some stands couldn't see beyond what the user can see a thing too? Like.... wasn't that the crux of Polnareff's fight against The Devil? I'm so glad the anime is staying so close to the manga, it's funny reliving all these ridiculous ass pulls once again (like breathing in Justice - heh).

jgminto

My prediction.

Episode one. (just imagine tons of exposition for Enya and the Lovers ability)

Episode two.

Also holy shit I forgot about the shrinking stands part. And wasn't the fact that some stands couldn't see beyond what the user can see a thing too? Like.... wasn't that the crux of Polnareff's fight against The Devil? I'm so glad the anime is staying so close to the manga, it's funny reliving all these ridiculous ass pulls once again (like breathing in Justice - heh).

They could see because Joseph was broadcasting it on a TV.

yami4ct

Finally finished Part 7. Soooo good. Most fun I've had reading JoJo since Part 4. Great fights, great characters and just a great sense of momentum overall. Love almost ever Johnny/Gyro scene. Also really loved the mixed of stands and rotation (being very similar to ripple from the early parts). Brought an interesting dynamic to the fights.

If I had one complaint, it's that Johnny's stand is kind of boring as hell. Araki finds some neat ways to use it, but it's just not a visually interesting stand.

So, ranking parts again. I'd be going with.

4>7>2>6>1>5>3.

Still pretty much hate Part 3. Polnareff is great, but don't really enjoy the rest of the cast and the pacing is pretty much terrible throughout. Anime is fixing some of my complaints, but still not enjoying it nearly as much as the other parts.

Riposte

I think I've ironed out my rankings to stand as such:

7 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 2 > 1

Random thoughts:

I wonder if we will ever have a timeskip inside a part anywhere near the length of Part 1's.

Gyro's father, Gregorio Zeppeli, would make a cool fighting game character (for ASB or whatever) I think. Executioner sword plus steel ball (and maybe some surgeon skills?).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You think we'll get ASB2 in the future? But then again it wouldn't mostly to update part 8 while adding few more to the other parts.

jgminto

They'd be crazy not to do another JoJo game now. The series is more popular than it's ever been. The manga and the anime are both currently running and the series is finally getting headway in the west with a potential dub and a new physical release next year. I'm pretty sure the original ASB sold quite well too so it wouldn't surprise me for CC2 to be working on a second.

You think we'll get ASB2 in the future? But then again it wouldn't mostly to update part 8 while adding few more to the other parts.

Best selling fighting game last gen not called Smash in Japan, why wouldn't there be?

Besides, judging from Evo they are actually dedicated to supporting it to some extend at least.

Riposte

ASB feels more like a fighting game (of questionable quality) with JoJo fan-service (e.g., almost every animation/stance is taken from a panel) rather than a JoJo game. I really want to see the latter.

ASB feels more like a fighting game (of questionable quality) with JoJo fan-service (e.g., almost every animation/stance is taken from a panel) rather than a JoJo game. I really want to see the latter.

Pretty much. The demo really turned me off the game. Not sure if a fighting game like this works for JoJo, I'd prefer something less fixed. Then again, it was developed by CC2...

If they use all the money funneled into the ASB's models and voices and assets and make a good fighting game (or some other type of genre?) I will be beyond excited.

jgminto

I thought ASB was a totally solid foundation for a really good fighting game. Once I put some time into it I really enjoyed it and still play it once in a while. I definitely prefer it to the CC2 Naruto games.

I have a lingering question from Part 7.

What's the deal with the conversation between Johnny and Valentine at the end of their fight? Why is there a symbol drawn in like every word bubble? It's just bizarre.

Erigu

What's the deal with the conversation between Johnny and Valentine at the end of their fight? Why is there a symbol drawn in like every word bubble? It's just bizarre.
It's supposed to make it clearer what/who the characters are talking about. Araki has been doing that a lot, these past years, and it was particularly excessive during that conversation, indeed. Maybe he thought it could become another cute little thing that sets his dialogue apart from the rest (like all his brackets, bold characters, etc), but I find it merely annoying.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pretty much. The demo really turned me off the game. Not sure if a fighting game like this works for JoJo, I'd prefer something less fixed. Then again, it was developed by CC2...
My ideal JoJo game is closer to the Part 5 game for the PS2. More akin to an action game, where each fight is like a boss fight, and you can use the unique powers of each character creatively, possibly interacting with the environment you're placed in.
It would definitely be closer in spirit to how stand users fight each other.

fertygo

Man its bothering me that non-fans not liking Stardust Crusader that much :(

They shouldn't pace it this slow IMO, even for the fight that 7-8 chapter long I feel its still can squeezed into one episode. I do aware the production team maybe think this make them have more breather eps.

jgminto

I'm loving the pacing myself but that's probably because I love the source material so much and seeing every single thing animated is amazing.

My ideal JoJo game is closer to the Part 5 game for the PS2. More akin to an action game, where each fight is like a boss fight, and you can use the unique powers of each character creatively, possibly interacting with the environment you're placed in.
It would definitely be closer in spirit to how stand users fight each other.

You're right, watching the Buccelati and Black Sabbath fight, this is way closer to how I imagine a JoJo game to be. The execution seems to be a bit lacking but I love how they got the shadows into the Black Sabbath fight.

Tizoc

Part 3's pacing is good, they just padded the Lovers encounter only so far, but next ep. is really gonna deliver ;)

For that matter
tumblr_n8y6uj3VHT1s2kojso1_400.png

Astral

I just realized something about Jo2uke. He doesn't have any Joestar blood does he? Unless, it's something that's yet to be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom