• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
part 8 is really boring lately i dont know why :/, it started strong.

i had the same problem with 7.

Most of the boredom comes from dat month-long wait. Easy to get bored when you're not marathoning the series.

Part 7 is one of my absolute favorites now. It started off a bit weak, and I didn't quite like Gyro at first, but it really grows on you once the race starts. Plus Johnny's pretty rad.

It's A Stand, Stand, Stand, Stand World.

Ezalc

It's just cool to hate on part 5, considering the vocal majority actually just skipped it.

I actually read part 5, but I still dislike it since both protagonist and antagonist are pretty awful. Also the whole Dio's son thing just gets thrown out after the first two chapter or something.

Gazoinks

I actually read part 5, but I still dislike it since both protagonist and antagonist are pretty awful. Also the whole Dio's son thing just gets thrown out after the first two chapter or something.

I actually thought Diavolo was a really cool villain who wasn't as well used as he should have been. He spent too much time in shadow, so when he finally showed up it was basically the end of the series. Should have had Doppio following the party around for a while or something.

I do agree about the Dio's son thing, though. One of my bigger issues with the arc. There's a lot of potential there that Araki does nothing with.

jgminto

I think Giorno is exactly the type of character he needed to be for Vento Aureo. He's subdued but greatly values his morals and friends and I've enjoyed his subtle quirks so far in the new translations. He makes for a great foil against the proud and confident Bruno too which is one of the better bro dynamics in the series. The Giorno/Bruno partnership is only surpassed by Johnny/Gyro and maaaaaaybe Josuke/Okuyasu for me.

sjack

Banned
Yeah because what part 5 really needed was the MC having daddy issues. Giorno is a better character without it.

Jojo is all about the daddy/parental issues.

Jonathan-always craved the attention and reverence that his father gave to Dio
Dio-became twisted and craved for power and riches to a sociopathic degree because of his shitty life growing up with his scum bag father
Joseph-spent his childhood as a delinquent and rebel due to a lack of a strong father/parental figure to control him properly
Jotaro-Absent father has made him self-conscious of becoming feminized by his over-bearing mother, hence why he dons this attitude of an over-exaggerated, edgy macho rebel (let's face it-he's pretty autistic)
Josuke-His issues with Joseph abandoning him and his mother
Giorno-His abuse of his step-father and lack of a central father figure led him to worshiping a gangster
Jolyne-Pretty obvious. She was neglected by a father who didn't know how to act like one due to his own father being absent most of the time.
Johnny-Similiar to Johnathan, had an inferiority complex due his father preferring his older brother as a jockey, and Johnny constantly coming in second to Diego
Diego-His father abandoned both him and his mother, leaving them to fend for themselves on a shitty farm where his mother ended up dying for his sake and being looked down as an abandoned bastard. This drove him to become the power-hungry schemer he was in SBR so nobody would every look down on him again.
Gappy-His lack of memory and knowledge for his own family and the fact that nobody came looking for him when he lost his memory is one of his biggest grievances that is part of his ongoing existential crisis.

Each Joestar is defined by how they were raised as a child and their relationships with prior members of the Joestar lineage (as well non-Joestar characters as well). It's the crux theme of the series.

Has anyone considered reading JoJo while listening to the artist/song the characters/stands are named after? I'd probably get to Wham and then bite my tongue off.

Siegcram

I feel it's impossible to rank the villains in JoJo. I just love all of them and even if the actual villain is lacking, his Stand makes up for it (Diavolo).
But Funny Valentine has to be the most ridiculous broken yet.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I like to imagine the narrator of Part 3 onwards is an automated Stand that formed upon Speedwagon's death, forever tied to the nearest adventure-prone member of the Joestar bloodline.

I'd call it Talk Talk.

In other news, I made a GIF for a friend of mine, but you guys can use it in case you need to punch someone out.

uurqC5Q.gif

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
JoJolion 35
A very intense chapter. Very smart of Josuke to use Soft & Wet's soap bubbles to plant the pheromones. Spill the beans, Jobin!

"This series will be on hiatus next issue. Please understand."

...Oh. Two months? Without...JoJolion? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Siegcram

JoJolion 35
A very intense chapter. Very smart of Josuke to use Soft & Wet's soap bubbles to plant the pheromones. Spill the beans, Jobin!

"This series will be on hiatus next issue. Please understand."

...Oh. Two months? Without...JoJolion? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Well, that'll give me time to catch up. Can't wait to get to the hype bug battle.

Ezalc

Now I feel the pain of the people who had to wait to read SBR one chapter at a time. Jesus this is going to take forever.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Think of it this way: It gives us more time to discuss random things that may have already been discussed!

Let's start off with a fun one. Whose death genuinely shocked you the most? I gotta go with Narancia. Caught me completely off guard.
With characters like Buccellati and F.F., you could feel the build up to their death. With Narancia, it's just WHAM! Fatal injury.

If Araki hadn't given up on Fugo because of Purple Haze's OPness, he probably would've been the one who bit it.

Would've said [Major Part 7 spoilers just in case]
Gyro, but it is Zeppeli tradition to die for a Joestar. ;_;
Thought about nominating Kakyoin too, but the guy went up against Dio.

Gazoinks

Narancia would be mine, too. Most Jojo characters have a big epic heroic death, but Narancia just kind of bit it out of nowhere. Sad. ;_;

Siegcram

Think of it this way: It gives us more time to discuss random things that may have already been discussed!

Let's start off with a fun one. Whose death genuinely shocked you the most? I gotta go with Narancia. Caught me completely off guard.
With characters like Buccellati and F.F., you could feel the build up to their death. With Narancia, it's just WHAM! Fatal injury.

If Araki hadn't given up on Fugo because of Purple Haze's OPness, he probably would've been the one who bit it.

Would've said [Major Part 7 spoilers just in case]
Gyro, but it is Zeppeli tradition to die for a Joestar. ;_;
Thought about nominating Kakyoin too, but the guy went up against Dio.
Definitely Iggy. He was a badass til the end and ended up saving one of the best characters in Part 3 with Polnareff.
I should have known Araki wouldn't let the dog live, Stand user or not, but still.

Tizoc

Things that would have happened if [strike[Araki[/s]Kakyoin didn’t completely forget how his stand works for the entire fucking series:

Kakyoin: “The car is a stand and it’s trying to kill us! Well, I guess I’ll just possess the user and make him drive himself off a cliff.”

Kakyoin: “Hol Horse has a gun? Better make him shoot himself.”

Kakyoin: “Hello, J. Geil, nice to meet yoPOSSESED”

Steely Dan: “My stand is inside Joseph’s brain!”

Kakyoin: “My stand took it out. Since, you know, infiltrating other people’s bodies is the whole point of my stand. Otherwise I’d have to shrink him! That would be ridiculous.”

Kakyoin: “Oh look it’s D’arby’s brother hahaha fuckin possessed”

Dio: “ZA WARU-“
Kakyoin: “lol no possessed”

STARDUST CRUSADERS OVER

KAKYOIN WINS EVERYTHING FOREVER

Source
http://gyrozeppeli.tumblr.com/post/95660970199/lindleland-things-that-would-have-happened-if

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
If anything, it was more for the sake of comically popping out of people's mouths.

Now, if the idea of shrinking Stands at will hadn't been completely ignored after the Steely Dan fight, Kakyoin could've effectively sniped those Stand users by entering them and destroying their brains while Jotaro distracted them.

But where's the fun in that?

Back when Josuke was fighting Born This Way the schedule was pretty irregular too because of the whole 25th anniversary thing. This is nothing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just finished Steel Ball Run today.

Oh Gyro. You almost made it out alive.

But man. That Johnny and Gyro friendship. So well developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom