• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtofan

Man, High Priestess is so not 2 parters material, I'm guessing we'll get a lot of filler with Midler and the second part is going to end with Iggy being revealed.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The kid dying from a cold?

Forget that. I'm into JoJolion and damn what a bad end for Johnny. And while he was still so young.

Man, High Priestess is so not 2 parters material, I'm guessing we'll get a lot of filler with Midler and the second part is going to end with Iggy being revealed.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but hey, at least it likely means we'll actually get to see Midler outside of the CPS3 game and some official art

Tizoc

I expected High Priestess to be 2 eps.
This way Season 1 ends at 24 Episodes.

tumblr_nb3qjrRjmT1s2kojso1_400.png

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
He lasted longer than Johnathan and actually got to see his child so he still one-ups the original.

That's true. And upon consideration, I guess his tragic death mirrors his original universe namesake, so there is the intended symmetry.

I guess it just seemed colder since he was more developed than Jonathan and had a much more painful background (Jonathan being harassed by Dio aside), what with his older brother dying, father hating him, etc. Being crippled. He had even more to overcome.

Ezalc

That's true. And upon consideration, I guess his tragic death mirrors his original universe namesake, so there is the intended symmetry.

I guess it just seemed colder since he was more developed than Jonathan and had a much more painful background (Jonathan being harassed by Dio aside), what with his older brother dying, father hating him, etc. Being crippled. He had even more to overcome.

The thing to remember is that no Jojo outlived Joseph. He was still alive in 2011! He should have been around 90 or something during that time.

They did, but Iggy did buy it way harder. He slowly succumbed to his injuries. Avdol took Cream's attack head-on and was gone immediately.

I love how someone's saying Magician's Red is OP. So adorable.

The whole sequence with Iggy and Polnareff was pretty rough. It's weird how all of it is basically character development for Polnareff.

Ezalc

Honestly it's a pretty strong stand and it seems to be able to circumvent the tradition that battle stands only have a small radius. It's capable of not only launching fire but freely controlling it, to the degree that it can choke somebody using a whip of fire. It just wasn't explored all that much.

Siegcram

Honestly it's a pretty strong stand and it seems to be able to circumvent the tradition that battle stands only have a small radius. It's capable of not only launching fire but freely controlling it, to the degree that it can choke somebody using a whip of fire. It just wasn't explored all that much.
Against 90% of battle stands in part 3 alone fire isn't doing shit.

Oh right I just remembered. If the mental gymnastics involved in Avdol's resurrection is pissing off some people, then the final fight is gonna make those people swear off Jojo

jgminto

I only realised recently that Avdol doesn't really do anything after he returns to the group too. He fights Bastet with Joseph, uses his heat compass to lead them through the labyrinth stand while Jotaro is fighting D'Arby jr. and then gets eaten.

Siegcram

I only realised recently that Avdol doesn't really do anything after he returns to the group too. He fights Bastet with Joseph, uses his heat compass to lead them through the labyrinth stand while Jotaro is fighting D'Arby jr. and then gets eaten.
Well in Egypt the focus shifts pretty noticable to Jotaro and Igyy.

jgminto

It made me wonder if Araki killed off Avdol the first time because he couldn't think of any other interesting things to do with the stand though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I'd actually like to think MR is pretty strong and powerful. Most of the time Avdol is defeated out of surprise than actual confrontation (bullet to the head, flash of death out of nowhere)

hilariously enough both of his deaths are caused indirectly by Polnareff

Riposte

I like to imagine Avdol is hanging out without arms in some space between dimensions without all the other shit Cream and the Hand threw into it, completely oblivious to any universe reboots.

jgminto

Well, there isn't that much more left. I don't think even this anime is gonna stretch out stuff like Anubis over 2+ episodes.

Anubis is six chapters, it'll be two episodes. The only one that won't be at least two episodes is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Oingo and Boingo which is four chapters but High Priestess is also four and it's a two-parter so who knows!

Siegcram

Anubis is six chapters, it'll be two episodes. The only one that won't be at least two episodes is maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Oingo and Boingo which is four chapters but High Priestess is also four and it's a two-parter so who knows!
Sigh, you're probably right.

jgminto

I hope they do some cool animation stuff with Boingo's comic, along with the tarot cards that's one of my favourite style choices from JoJo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like to imagine Avdol is hanging out without arms in some space between dimensions without all the other shit Cream and the Hand threw into it, completely oblivious to any universe reboots.

Wasn't there an Avdol-like racer in SBR?

Also where's the Iggy equivalent in new universe

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't there an Avdol-like racer in SBR?

Also where's the Iggy equivalent in new universe

SBR Avdol bit it way too early. Basically HEY GUYS HERE'S AVDOL oh nvm he's the worst HUR HUR

I'd say Super Happy Zombie Dog That Totally Won't Be Brutally Murdered By Araki is the Iggy of the new universe.

I'd say Super Happy Zombie Dog That Totally Won't Be Brutally Murdered By Araki is the Iggy of the new universe.

Hmm, Iwasuke as the new Iggy...They both start with an "I", and they both have a relation to the ground (stone and sand)...coincidence? I think not.

Lunar15

Finished part 4. Might be my favorite part so far. Yeah, it was aimless, but the characters were so strong and the stands so wacky. I liked the small town feel, and you can see how it was a clear inspiration for Persona 4. I mean, a guy dies and ends up on a telephone wire. C'mon, son.

I also thought it was funny how basically everyone was the protagonist except for Josuke. Kinda had a Simpsons feel in how you'd see characters keep showing up and remaining relevant.

Not really excited to start Part 5 since I haven't heard a lot of good things about it.

Finished part 4. Might be my favorite part so far. Yeah, it was aimless, but the characters were so strong and the stands so wacky. I liked the small town feel, and you can see how it was a clear inspiration for Persona 4. I mean, a guy dies and ends up on a telephone wire. C'mon, son.

I also thought it was funny how basically everyone was the protagonist except for Josuke. Kinda had a Simpsons feel in how you'd see characters keep showing up and remaining relevant.

Not really excited to start Part 5 since I haven't heard a lot of good things about it.

Didn't that also happen in Part 3 with Oingo and Boingo?

And Part 5 is marred by an iffy translation. Has good fights though.

You must experience the badly translated Part 5 for the sweet sweet DUWANG.

Actually, why has it taken this long for a proper Part 5 translation? Do people just consider it the lowest rated Part? I mean, 4 and 6 has had the good translations for the longest time.

Part 4 is Duwang, which while not great, you can make out what's going on and what's being said.

The Part 5 translation is just full of straight up lies and misinformation and multiple wrong explanations of King Crimson, because when the people doing the translation didn't know how to translate something or what something meant, they just made shit up.

People poke fun at Duwang for "Koichi steals, no dignity" and "I feel you, I feel you deeply, your feeling I can feel deeply" but it's better then in Part 5 when they translate a map of an area and screw up which locations are which.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
You must experience the badly translated Part 5 for the sweet sweet DUWANG.

Actually, why has it taken this long for a proper Part 5 translation? Do people just consider it the lowest rated Part? I mean, 4 and 6 has had the good translations for the longest time.

jgminto

The person translating Part 5 just works really slowly. The people doing coloured scanlations have started working on 5 as well but I'm not sure if they're going to do brand new translations once they pass the current retranslation.

And Part 5 isn't really Duwang, it's just flat and inaccurate. It doesn't have any of the stuff that made Duwang Part 4 entertaining. No glorious duwangs, no get a feeling so complicated, no super retard, no aboj even!

Erigu

The Part 5 translation is just full of straight up lies and misinformation and multiple wrong explanations of King Crimson, because when the people doing the translation didn't know how to translate something or what something meant, they just made shit up.
The translation might be bad (I don't remember if I checked it out), but let's not blame all the King Crimson weirdness on it: it's a mess in the original text as well.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Part 5 is my favorite part. The translation is terrible, which is a shame, but that's being worked on.

Part 3 had a sense of adventure and purpose to it with the journey to Egypt and setting up Dio as its main villain, but the stands were experimental and the fights didn't feel like they had purpose behind them other than "Dio sent us to kill you etc." Part 4 had much more interesting stands and was much better at making battles meaningful and keeping characters relevant, but it lacked the adventure and purpose of 3. Part 5 marries the best of both worlds and has a meaningful journey (that has a great twist halfway through), a great cast, amazing fights, and a really interesting setting. Giorno being Dio's son having absolutely no relevance and Diavolo being an underwhelming and confusing final boss are two giant minus points, but the rest is a fun, crazy, and engaging ride the whole way through. Giorno's stand is also the most unique JoJo stand (although I've yet to read parts 7 and 8, so I can't speak for Johnny or Josuke 8).

Part 5 is amazing.

Also, what fights are people most looking forward to in the anime? I can't wait to see Anubis, D'arby, and, of course, Dio.

jgminto

Part 4 does have more interesting stands for the most part but I think it's pretty weak at the start. Aqua Necklace and RHCP don't really work as the driving force of the early story. It isn't until just before Kira that Part 4 gets amazing. Part 5 is probably my favourite in terms of stand battles, there are so many amazing battles. Soft Machine is the only one I'm not too hot on since it's so hard to figure out wtf is going on.

Also, what fights are people most looking forward to in the anime? I can't wait to see Anubis, D'arby, and, of course, Dio.

DIO and the D'arbys of course.
I want to see how they handle Iggy and Pet Shop too (censoring?), and Oingo and Boingo. If they keep Thoth's art style, I will be so goddamn happy.

But of course, HIGHWAY STAR. I NEED TO SEE DAT SHIT.

Man in the Mirror is incomprehensible.

I found the later Part 6 fights even more what the fuck.

Ezalc

I preferred the stand battles in part 7 over any other part. The stands themselves were so much more interesting. I don't think there like any "punch ghosts" until basically the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom