• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

I was talking about the ambulance running him over specifically.
I think he still would have forcefully moved his thumb with his other hand to press it.

Oh wait, here's another Araki inconsistency. Why does Kira have to physically press the trigger with his own hand yet Jotaro can ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA with his hands in his pockets? Or the fact nobody else with punch ghosts or sword ghosts or whatever ghosts doesn't need to mime the actions of their Stand.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
True, the ambulance itself isn't really that bad plotwise, but Okuyasu's undying and the hamfisted way that Koichi and Jotaro get to do the final blow on him because Araki hadn't found a way before that to involve them in the final battle sour the otherwise excellent fight for me.

I just chalk it up to the power of bros saving the day. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To suspend disbelief, I assume Stand ability limitations depend on the subconscious mind of the Stand user. If someone imagines a Stand is a wholly separate entity (punch ghost) next to them, it can take action just from the user's imagination.

If a user fixates on the ability as some other kind of action, like pressing a switch, they have to go along with it. Old Joseph in part 3 has to use Hermit Purple like a whip, rather than just willing the tendrils to appear around something. Sex Pistols in part 5 was attached to a gun and generally had to be loaded and fired; the little bastards even had to be fed by hand.

Siegcram

I think he still would have forcefully moved his thumb with his other hand to press it.

Oh wait, here's another Araki inconsistency. Why does Kira have to physically press the trigger with his own hand yet Jotaro can ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA with his hands in his pockets? Or the fact nobody else with punch ghosts or sword ghosts or whatever ghosts doesn't need to mime the actions of their Stand.
That's not an inconsistency. Some stand users just link actions of the stand to physical actions of their own, like Ringo and Mandom.

It's a psychological switch.

I read it when it was still mostly duwang. Didn't regret a thing.

image.php

Shh. No one can know.

Squishy3

I'm actually reading Steel Ball Run (chapter 20 or something), I'm safe here or not yet D: ?
We haven't talked about SBR in awhile (most of our discussion recently has been about the future of the anime adaptation of part 3) but don't read further back in the thread since I'm pretty sure we have unmarked spoilers for it.

JayEH

I should really pick up Jojolion again. I almost caught up to where it is current but I just haven't been feeling it. Not a fan of the "I lost my memory" trope.

Yasuho is candidate for best Jojo girl though.

Great, I'll probably finish it in a few weeks at worst. I cannot stop here, too awesome.

I read all part 4, 5 and 6 last month (and I read late part 3 last July) and I can say I never enjoyed reading a manga so much. I'm more a anime guy, fighting scene are sometimes tedious to read and it's better with colors but I don't care if it's Jojo.

I don't know the general opinion here but I'll put part 3, 4 and 5 in a draw for the best parts for differents reasons. Part 3 has the weakest stands but the road trip atmosphere, the cast and the final battle make it great, especially in the late part. Part 4 because it was the funniest and the stands got crazy. Part 5 because of his amazing pace, Italy and also the greatest fights in the series in my opinion.

After that I guess it's Part 2 because of Joseph and after Part 6. Jolyne is one of my favorite Jojo but the fights felt a little bit confusing, the prison was not the most charming place in the world and the main antagonist is probably my least favorite one (I actually thought it was mid boss like red hot chilli peppers but nope). Part 1 is the last one because the only saving grace for me is Dio and that's it.

But anyway, I'm amazed by the creativity of the whole series. It never gets old, Araki find always something new that makes me want to continue and even the oddest stand can be well executed. It just becomes one of my favorite thing in a cultural media

JayEH

I agree with what you say about 3 and 4. The bro road trip aspect of 3 is why it's my favorite part. 5 had some really good fights but I felt the final fight was super weak.

Yeah that's true, the fight to get the arrow was good and all but after that, it was really disappointing. King Crimson is still a broken stand, Giorno should have struggle a little.

Numb

I should really pick up Jojolion again. I almost caught up to where it is current but I just haven't been feeling it. Not a fan of the "I lost my memory" trope.

Yasuho is candidate for best Jojo girl though.

I need to catch up too. I read what was available after finishing SBR but dropped it afterwards.
Monthly releases really bring down the hype factor.

They techincally already have. The opening is such a tell that people will watch it again and go "Oh!"

Man there are so many references to Dio's stand in the opening I'm a little surprised some people in the other thread haven't guessed it. The cogs, pendulum, Jotaro unable to move at the end with Dio there.

About part 5: I would have appreciated King Crimson more if Fugo weren't a presence. From my understanding, you need an attack that cannot be foreseen in at least 10 seconds. Fugo's stand would have been a perfect counter if that were the case.

Also, I recently finished part 7 and it blew me away. It's all the best qualities of the other parts put into one, and I hope David continues adapting the series so we can see everything animated.

JayEH

Man there are so many references to Dio's stand in the opening I'm a little surprised some people in the other thread haven't guessed it. The cogs, pendulum, Jotaro unable to move at the end with Dio there.

About part 5: I would have appreciated King Crimson more if Fugo weren't a presence. From my understanding, you need an attack that cannot be foreseen in at least 10 seconds. Fugo's stand would have been a perfect counter if that were the case.

Also, I recently finished part 7 and it blew me away. It's all the best qualities of the other parts put into one, and I hope David continues adapting the series so we can see everything animated.

Well if you don't know what to look for you're not going to see the hints. I imagine someone will be randomly guess that he can stop time. What will be interesting is how people react when it gets to the point where it seems like everyone dies except Jotaro.

I'm way late to the party on this but I always thought of Kira doing the thing with his thumb was more of an ego thing. Jotaro is efficient and doesn't take his hands out of his pockets unless necessary.

Jojo out of the context is awesome :p

I am at like at the beginning of the 4th stage in Steel Ball Run. I like it but not too much, I have the same problem with Stone Ocean, the fights are way too confusing I don't even know how Johnny and Gyro managed to survive against some stands users (actually I don't even know what the stell ball can really do). Besides, they still don't even understand fully the concept of stands after more than thirty chapters, it's a little bit frustating.

But the competition part is great, the end of a stage is incrediby exciting.

Erigu

I am at like at the beginning of the 4th stage in Steel Ball Run. I like it but not too much, I have the same problem with Stone Ocean, the fights are way too confusing I don't even know how Johnny and Gyro managed to survive against some stands users (actually I don't even know what the stell ball can really do). Besides, they still don't even understand fully the concept of stands after more than thirty chapters, it's a little bit frustating.
Welcome to post-Part 5 JoJo.

I was actually thinking to myself the other day how weird early SBR was and how it totally shifted focus once it became a monthly series. The focus on Poco Loco in particular early on, he had some decent screen time then was just relegated to "Oh hey, it's Poco Loco." and that's it.

sjack

Banned
... That's a little bit demotivating

Don't be disheartened. After the end of the first part of the race, SBR kind slows down for a bit in order to reintroduce stands into the new alternate universe. It picks up tremendously once Diego is introduced into the equation more heavily. And I always felt the SBR's stand fights were toned down on the crazy so we can focus more on the characters and story.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
& yet the DLC still isn't on sale. I'd rather buy all the DLC characters for a dollar each instead of $2.

Squishy3

I bought all the DLC in support of future Jojo releases. I feel like an idiot.
Well, we're getting Eyes of Heaven, they just decided to scrap everything about that game except for the character assets. There's probably a good fighting game buried in there, but we'll never see it now. :p

I started to play all-star battle last week and I'm incredibly salty about the DLC characters. I drawned in salt after I saw a bonus battle against Vanilla Ice but without unlocking Vanilla Ice. :/

Siegcram

SBR's fight is one of easiest to follow though?

Aside the D4C fight of course.
Wired threw me off the first time I read it, otherwise I'd agree. Even D4C is fairly straightforward once the gimmick is explained.

For me 5 and 6 are tied with some of the most hard-to-follow fights.

jgminto

I don't think Part 5 was that hard to follow aside from the boat fight, which still confuses me even though I now know the stand ability. Most of the assassins and Diavolo's minions are fairly straightforward. Part 8 is the most confusing for me so far because the stand abilities are so abstract compared to previous series. I still don't fully understand the limits of Soft & Wet's ability. When can he "take something" and what is the limit of what he "takes"?

Squishy3

Richard Epcar posted a picture of an old Joseph Joestar cosplayer on his Twitter. I think he looks a little bit like Mandy Patinkin. Now I can't stop picturing Mandy Patinkin as Joseph Joestar.

B90dwH5IMAAzqf6.jpg

sjack

Banned
Dio's Japanese OVA actor is starting to grow on me...

Besides his ZARUDO, I think everything else about him is horribly miscast. He sounds like an old man with a lisp, whereas DIO is supposed to sound eternally youthful and arrogant. The new VA is much better. (Hell the one from the Capcom game is much better)

JayEH

New DIO is best DIO. He will do amazing in the final battle going off ASB. I like Capcom DIO as well. I just used to hate OVA DIO until recently. I can at least tolerate him now.

Crusaders DIO is much more reserved at least until he sucks Joseph's blood. Koyasu (?) did a pretty great job in all star battle with his za Warudo and mudamuda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom