• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Jones tests positive for steroids after UFC 214, title stripped

Skyr

At what point should states not allow him to fight?

You mean like a lifetime ban? Why would you do that?

This is officially his second violation which is usually a minimum ban of two years.
I don't think I heard of any fighter being banned for life yet.

Anyway I just realized something interesting.

When Jones was banned in 2016 for a year, it was for a substance called "clomiphene" which is an aromatase inhibitors.
Basically it is used to counter estrogen conversion when using highly androgenic steroids like Testosterone for example.

So the substance Jones was caught for now is "Turinabol". An oral steroid which is very low androgenic. Meaning you are not dependent on an aromatase inhibitor.

I guess if they wanted to make a smart change for his cycle it went wrong lol

Madness

You mean like a lifetime ban? Why would you do that?

This is officially his second violation which is usually a minimum ban of two years.
I don't think I heard of any fighter being banned for life yet.

Anyway I just realized something interesting.

When Jones was banned in 2016 for a year, it was for a substance called "clomiphene" which is an aromatase inhibitors.
Basically it is used to counter estrogen conversion when using highly androgenic steroids like Testosterone for example.

So the substance Jones was caught for now is "Turinabol". An oral steroid which is very low androgenic. Meaning you are not dependent on an aromatase inhibitor.

I guess if they wanted to make a smart change for his cycle it went wrong lol

Clomiphene is better known as Clomid. You take it in your pct to restart testosterone production which has been shut down due to the cycle. Turinabol is what Ben Johnson was popped for and what East Germans forced their athletes to take. It is basically called Tbol and is similar to Dianabol aka Dbol. Much better for athletes than sheer bodybuilding and mass gain.

This guy just isn't smart with his juicing. I have no qualms with people who take steroids to increase their muscle mass, look and feel better. But when you are an athlete using it to gain an unfair advantage or cheat, you get popped and you're done for. Always looked as a cheat. Imagine how many guys were juicing before USADA testing brought in. Imagine how many still are getting caught now. Even Anderson Silva was caught with PED's.

I feel really bad for DC. He works so damn hard, and then has to deal with the fallout of this bullshit.

Man, I really hate drugs in sports. All records by cheaters should have giant Asterisks next to them.

I remember when Hank Aaron was livid about Barry Bonds breaking his home run record. I'm sure he would be the first to congratulate someone who legitimately bests his record. But man, to have your legacy shit on like that.

I feel really bad for DC. He works so damn hard, and then has to deal with the fallout of this bullshit.

Man, I really hate drugs in sports. All records by cheaters should have giant Asterisks next to them.

I remember when Hank Aaron was livid about Barry Bonds breaking his home run record. I'm sure he would be the first to congratulate someone who legitimately bests his record. But man, to have your legacy shit on like that.

Was he mad that he ran out of greenies?

The Hermit

idjut.gif

Best reaction

F34R

Here is Daniel Comier's statement:
“It's hard to find words to describe how I'm feeling right now,” Cormier said. “I'm disappointed to hear the news. It's very emotional.

“We as athletes are entitled to due process, and I will refrain from saying much more until I know exactly what happened.

“In my mind, on July 29, I competed and I lost. I thought Jon Jones was the better man that day. I don't know what to think anymore. I can’t believe we are going through all of this again. We will see what happens next.

“Thank you to all my fans who have supported me during this dark time. I love you all very much.”

Classy.

Degen

Unbelievable

The guy was finally back on track to become another megastar, which is exactly what the UFC needs right now

This makes his legacy, his fans, and the UFC look bad; it puts Cormier (and everybody else) through this confusion all over again... What a mess

I would imagine only about 5 or 6 fighters have been caught as many times as him.

What im saying is it makes absolutely no sense.

7 random tests he passes and the one test they know is coming he fails.

It's ridiculous. He's not a great person and at the end of the day this is karma for all the bad things he has done but I just don't get how he would be this dumb.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
This is an interesting twist!

Though Jon Jones failed his urine test the day before UFC 214, he passed a post-fight blood test that was administered the night of UFC 214.

The hell is going on?!

USADA just implemented a new test where they start testing for Urine and Blood. The drug that jon tried to use has a very short half life and typically is gone 2-3 hours after taking and can only show up in urine.

The weird thing is that Jones pissed hot after the weigh in and not after the fight.

I got this information from a Brendan Schaub Podcast so take it with a grain of salt.

edit: https://lightatheendofthetunnelisdi...bol-trace-metabolites-and-the-frank-mir-case/

Takuan

Doesn't really say anything, given what's been reported about TBOL disappearing really fast from a person's system. Plus, it was a blood test vs urine the day before.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Not surprising, outside of the Russians corruption in the Olympics, the B sample never comes back clean.

Jon is fucked, there's no talking your way out of this one with weak excuses. Turanibol is not something you can come across accidentally. It's a serious, hard to get steroid, not even getting into the fact that it's a felony to even possess the shit.

What a shame. His career is tainted in my eyes, he's probably been using the whole time.

How long will the ban be?

Max is 4 years.

kikiribu

He should get the max ban. Every time I got excited for this fight some stupid shit happened because of him. It's embarrassing and makes the UFC (giving him so many chances) look bad. Sure it's business, but what's it gonna take at this point, a murder?

Poor DC. He won't even be fighting anymore by the time Jones comes back and he'll have to live with it. Actually, I expect DC to retire real soon if he hasn't already.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
He should get the max ban. Every time I got excited for this fight some stupid shit happened because of him. It's embarrassing and makes the UFC (giving him so many chances) look bad. Sure it's business, but what's it gonna take at this point, a murder?

Poor DC. He won't even be fighting anymore by the time Jones comes back and he'll have to live with it. Actually, I expect DC to retire real soon if he hasn't already.

DC is the real loser. He's only lost to one guy, and that guy is a cheater. He'll never know who was the better man, on an even non-juicer playing field.

Top Bottom