• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Jones tests positive for steroids after UFC 214, title stripped

JimiNutz

Banned
Trust me, this guy has been on steroids for the large majority of his career. This isn't something you just pick up and try and get caught a couple times. You need to royally fuck up, and they KNOW how to beat these tests even still today. But they get greedy.... this was a fight test he failed... this douche had plenty of time ot beat the test.

Yeah I'm leaning towards thinking that he's been on steroids for a long time and that he's only coming unstuck now that the testing is a lot stricter. Before the USADA testing came in the UFC was like the wild west and athletes were getting away with a lot...

Greedings

Not saying that testosterone is what he took, but aren't Test:Epitest ratios fro UFC minimums like 6:1. That's still ridiculously high, so I'm sure everyone is doping, this twat just got greedy, or had a bad team so fucked up his self testing.

Yeah I'm leaning towards thinking that he's been on steroids for a long time and that he's only coming unstuck now that the testing is a lot stricter. Before the USADA testing came in the UFC was like the wild west and athletes were getting away with a lot...

I think that is only obvious.

Before Dirk Novitzski the ex head of the olympic testing, came onto UFC and made the USADA testing protocols. Thats the important part. UDADA drug testing in itself without using the latest tests and protocols is not anything special.

UFC used to have the same thing that boxers like Floyd Mayweather uses. Testosterone therapy doctors excuse. You could dope as long as you declared it beforehand with a doctors note.

What Floyd Mayweather started in boxing though is the use of retroactive doctors notes in boxing. So if you make a contract with USADA that says if you get caught, the fighter, Floyd, can still bring in a doctors note even if it wasn't declared he was on testoterone therapy.

According the most respected journalist in boxing, who ESPN called the gold standard of all sports journalists, Floyd Mayweather as been caught 3 different times for performance enhancing drugs, but simply used his get out of free jail clause.

UFC was similarly a joke when it came to drugs testing.

Anticol

Banned
don't worry GSP is coming back to sit on Michael Bisping for 5 rounds.

Have you seen GSP, that guy is even more roided up that Jones.

They should let all these guys roid up, who cares, seeing Overeem running away from punches or looking at Vitor with his man boobs is pretty sad, they need roids in order to be what they were, let them all use it and stop this charade.

Camwi

I'll be the third person in a row to say what a fucking idiot Jones is. Really wish Cormier would've won that fight.

Why does this shit always happen to Cormier? For fuck's sake.

Lifetime ban from the UFC at this point, even if you can't ban him from the sport forever. That's the closest you can come to making it up to Cormier for getting fucked over again and again by this cheat.

Skyr

It's so hard to believe that Jon would be dumb enough to risk something like this on purpose again after what happend to him in the past.

From what I read he tested positive for Turinabol which is an oral Steroid.
So while it's possible that some cheap supplement could have been tainted with it you would think that he and his team would tripple check what he puts into his body.

Goddamn I just can't grasp this shit.

rugioh

Banned
Daniel-Cormier-Is-All-About-That-Cake-and-Chicken_520979_OpenGraphImage.png

sibarraz

Banned
How does steroids improv eyou athletic performance?

When I heard steroids I always think about the WWF/E were the wrestlers have ridiculous bodies that were not healthy for them, I can't see how is that positive in a sport like UFC were speed is important. But I guess that the mass gain could be better for submissions

I'm ignorant in the subject, so I don't know how is good

It depends on the one you're using. There are better explanations out there, but they can make you stronger, faster, more muscular, etc. There are way too many to explain what each one does, some sites made compilations of the most useful / most used ones, so that would be your best bet if you want to know more.

When I heard steroids I always think about the WWF/E were the wrestlers have ridiculous bodies that were not healthy for them, I can't see how is that positive in a sport like UFC were speed is important. But I guess that the mass gain could be better for submissions

In every way imaginable. Stronger, faster, can train harder, recover much more quickly. Even become harder to knock out.

Skyr

Besides protein synthesis roids are improving recovery significantly.
Fast recovery is the biggest benefit for fighters. You can train longer, harder and more often as your body recovers alot quicker from your last grueling workout.

That is besides the improved striking power and explosiveness ofc (headkick KO!)
Stamina not so much.

sirap

Confidence is also a big thing with roids. TRTor was pulling off fucking tatsumakis. Nowadays he can't even do his usual blitz.

Skyr

UFC is a dying product. They can't restock with enough young talent despite the hype of ten years ago.

Actually this is the first day I belive this too.
I'm a massive UFC Fan since about 8 years but it's really not looking good atm and they will be without any
star power soon if they continue like that

- jon gone
- ronda gone
- conor prolly gone soon and already planning his post fighting career
- heavyweight division in the worst sate ever

- generally unhappy and underpaid fighters which are held back by the shitty reebok deal

Top athletes will continue to get into other sports where you at least get a proper pay for your brain damage.

jwhit28

It seems like now would be the perfect time for the fighters to rally and get a union created. They can rally around the need to negotiate how someone who loses to a cheater like Jones or Lesnar should be compensated and how the most popular guy in the sport is better off being a sideshow in Boxing.

sibarraz

Banned
UFC looks like such a lame and uncool product compared to 2 years ago.

-Ronda's aura was completely destroyed, and all the bantamweight fighters have the charisma of a jar of mayo, leading to a lack of excitment for the women's division which was hotter last year

-Conor McGregor buried an entire division by going to another classwright, and now he has all the power in the world to bury it that one too depending on what happens after his fight with mayweather.

-Jon Jones doing Jon Jones things.

-CM Punk striping the aura of "only elite fighters get here" and "serious sport" that the company had by fighting without any prior experience.

-UFC 200 being a complete disaster of a show.

- Reebok deal
Meanwhile, boxing looks way cooler, thank to canelo or anthony joshua.

As someone else said, recovery time is a major, major benefit. These guys are essentially training like professionals in multiple sports (striking, grappling/groundfighting). You'd be hard pressed to find a person that deals well training one of these arts without wear and tear, much less multiple.

If a person can get in and train multiple times per day, and then supplement with strength and conditioning they have a massive advantage over others that need to rest their bodies.

UFC is a dying product. They can't restock with enough young talent despite the hype of ten years ago.

Lol no.

Last year was their best financial year ever and while this year is down it's looking like a strong 2nd half

I'm a massive UFC Fan since about 8 years but it's really not looking good atm and they will be without any

- jon gone
- ronda gone

- generally unhappy and underpaid fighters which are held back by the shitty reebok deal

Top athletes will continue to get into other sports where you at least get a proper pay for your brain damage.

People had these exact same hot takes when Chuck was gone, when Tito was gone, when GSP was gone, when Anderson lost, etc. Boxing and UFC always have up periods and down periods. There will be big names that come around and replace the Jones, Rondas, and Conor's (though maybe no one as big as McGregor)

It's just a cycle. In 3 years we will be talking about some other new hottness

Now the Reebok deal for sure is some BS and still not sure how things with WME-IMG will shake out in the long term

I saw this last night but not surprising... I laughed because this idiot just can't get his shit straight. He's done, maybe he can go to Japan and do some side show fights or something. Hope he doesn't get another slap on the wrist.

Lol no.

Last year was their best financial year ever and while this year is down it's looking like a strong 2nd half

Financials built on their guys getting paid dick.

Look at the age of their top guys. Its a joke. You think guys that old aren't roiding? Please. And the young talent is balls.

Look at the age of their top guys. Its a joke. You think guys that old aren't roiding? Please. And the young talent is balls.

It's a cycle as I said. You see the exact same thing in boxing. It's combat sports. Draws come and go. Sometimes things will he hot sometimes things will be a bit colder.

But declaring MMA / UFC or boxing doomed (as I foolishly have before) is just not accurate

AJLma

Not gonna lie. Jon seemed a little too angry before and after the fight, especially with how he pounded Cormier on the back of his head after knockout. Jon has always gone above and beyond during his fights but that was way over the top. Lost a lot of respect for him and organization as a whole after that fight for not speaking out against it immediately.

So PEACE to him and most likely to my future UFC PPV buys as well.

Camwi

Why does this shit always happen to Cormier? For fuck's sake.

Lifetime ban from the UFC at this point, even if you can't ban him from the sport forever. That's the closest you can come to making it up to Cormier for getting fucked over again and again by this cheat.

I wish the UFC would ban him, but I don't think they can risk him going over to Bellator, unless they can tie him up in some contract loops.

Fighter pay is a huge issue still but it's gradually gone up to at least be comparable with nobodies in boxing.

The top guys in the UFC aren't actually that old relative to their weight classes. And the younger guys - amongst whom you can still include Conor who is only 28 years old - have never been better or more exciting.

The bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight and interim middleweight champions are 26, 25, 28, and 26 years of age respectively and have dominant wins over the top guys in the division and have potential for stardom within the community and at least one has potential to be an international star (Cody Garbrandt).

Skyr

I wish the UFC would ban him, but I don't think they can risk him going over to Bellator, unless they can tie him up in some contract loops.

Except this decision is not in the hands of the UFC nor Bellator.

If the athletic comissions decides to ban him for potentially 2-4 years (repeat offender) then he can't fight in any organisation.

He could go to japan and compete in Rizin I guess.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

- jon gone
- ronda gone

The thing is there's plenty of talent in the UFC. They're just not marketing it. Which is insane because it's a company that's literally owned by talent agents and promo people now.

Camwi

Except this decision is not in the hands of the UFC nor Bellator.

If the athletic comissions decides to ban him for potentially 2-4 years (repeat offender) then he can't fight in any organisation.

He could go to japan and compete in Rizin I guess.

True, but even after 2-4 years, Jones would be a huge draw for Bellator (if they're even still around by then).

highrider

Banned
Shame, such an entertaining and talented fighter. I wonder if he depends on steroids for his confidence to get in the ring which I can kind of understand, but I would have thought he would have been able to get past it and be successful. He does have some arrogance in interviews, like he hovers above everyone and rules don't apply to him.

Syder

What a damn fuck-up.. Take this clown out of the discussion for GOAT, it's over, he's done.

Not only did he get popped again, it happened in the dumbest fucking way possible.

Oh well, at least he earned me some cheddar from the DC fight but goddamn do I feel sorry for Cormier. Imagine getting booed for no good reason whilst a fucking lying cheater is holding your title.

UFC looks like such a lame and uncool product compared to 2 years ago.

-Ronda's aura was completely destroyed, and all the bantamweight fighters have the charisma of a jar of mayo, leading to a lack of excitment for the women's division which was hotter last year

-Conor McGregor buried an entire division by going to another classwright, and now he has all the power in the world to bury it that one too depending on what happens after his fight with mayweather.

-Jon Jones doing Jon Jones things.

-CM Punk striping the aura of "only elite fighters get here" and "serious sport" that the company had by fighting without any prior experience.

-UFC 200 being a complete disaster of a show.

- Reebok deal
Meanwhile, boxing looks way cooler, thank to canelo or anthony joshua.

I saw this coming since the Rebook deal was announced. UFC is terrible at creating new stars. I had a feeling that this was gonna happen once the old guard retire or lose a step. It's become so oversaturated to the point that I cant keep up with events let alone recognize a face on any of these said events. Hard for me to get excited about generic fighter #1 vs generic fighter #5 in a welterweight fight.

Also a huge lack of prospects in LHW/HW is depressing.

Top Bottom