• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Mudcrab

New_Avengers_Vol_3_27_Textless.jpg

Get hype!

Mudcrab

I don't really think Hickman had much of a choice when it came to picking out a X-Men for the Illuminati, he probably just figured to add another egghead although I did like this exchange with Beast and Namor

Namor/
Devil
whispering sweet nothings in your ear

I don't think Cyclops would have contributed much to this group, although I would like to see what Hickman could do with the character. Maybe Marvel will have Hickman pick up after Bendis once again...

Loved this part.

Whoops sorry for double post.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Welp, looks like shit's about to get ever realer.

I don't really think Hickman had much of a choice when it came to picking out a X-Men for the Illuminati, he probably just figured to add another egghead although I did like this exchange with Beast and Namor

Namor/
Devil
whispering sweet nothings in your ear

I don't think Cyclops would have contributed much to this group, although I would like to see what Hickman could do with the character. Maybe Marvel will have Hickman pick up after Bendis once again...

Honestly, Cyke probably wouldn't fit as he'd be willing to call in at least part of his team to help with this. I mean you look at the powers the new guys he's recruited have and they'd be able to handle shit like the mapmakers and dark priests. Powers over tech, time, infinite healing combined with the old guard.

PsychBat!

Banned
While I would absolutely love to see this, it kind of pisses me off that it looks like Hickman has to clean the toilet after Bendis has used it.

Yeah, he did. I have no idea where he teleported off to though. I miss him :(
He gets so much shit.

If that cover's any indication, he might have gone off to be evil.

Nanomachines
son
, but I believe they went back on that as their powers are still not fixed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Was this in Uncanny? I got bored with it a while back and dropped it. I'm kind of apprehensive about Scott's role in Axis since his powers are still wonky. If Inversion results in his powers being fixed, it'd be quite frustrating.

Loke13

My whole thing with that is that what has their powers being broken actually contributed to the storyline? Nothing. It might as well have not even have happened.

Those covers are gorgeous I guess those coffins being there probably means some major bad shit happens the likelihood of there being a re-boot is becoming more likely.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
My whole thing with that is that what has their powers being broken actually contributed to the storyline? Nothing. It might as well have not even have happened.

Those covers are gorgeous I guess those coffins being there probably means some major bad shit happens the likelihood of there being a re-boot is becoming more likely.

How do you figure on the reboot?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well the end of Time Runs Out comes around the time Avengers 2 is released. But I'm just saying what others have told me. Just something I thought I would tell you.

SpOck is the Superior Spider-Man!

You and that spoiler can go in the trashcan.

Soodanim

Man, the OP looks fantastic but there's no way I'm paying that much on Comixology to read this series. Maybe I'll wait until the conclusion and marathon read via Marvel Unlimited in a month subscripted or something.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cyclops accomplishments as well as being a successful team leader to the X-Men for decades as well as being the Mutant leader of Utopia more than earned him a spot on the Illuminati.

And as for firepower well...

1308598-aston9bk_super.jpg

he more than makes the grade.

The requirements in this case for making the grade is "Jonathan Hickman wanted to write him on this team", so he obviously doesn't.

I can't believe I didn't notice the aesthetic similarities between the black priests and Dr Strange until now. You've got the whole red and gold thing going on, the same circular gold thing on their chests (is that the eye of agamotto?), and often Dr Strange is depicted with a third eye which isn't too dissimilar from the whole singular eye thing that the black priests have going on.

Also, in the cover each one of the Black Priests are wearing slightly different helmets so I've got to wonder if they're all alternate reality versions of Strange, or some other figure.

As for the above Cyclops discussion: I still don't think he's good enough to be dealing with the kind of threats that the Illuminati have to put up with, mostly because they already have better strategists, and also Cyclops is a complete liability. Hell, even Namor and BP put aside their complete hatred for one another (for a good chunk of time) to deal with the problems at hand.

Cyclops would have thrown a tantrum within the first issue.

Mudcrab

Are the priests related to the cancer-verse? That helmet is so Shuma-Gorath.

We don't know outside of speculation. They could be evil Doctor Stranges or simply fallen Sorcerer Supremes or something else entirely.

Honestly, Cyke probably wouldn't fit as he'd be willing to call in at least part of his team to help with this. I mean you look at the powers the new guys he's recruited have and they'd be able to handle shit like the mapmakers and dark priests. Powers over tech, time, infinite healing combined with the old guard.

I haven't kept up with Team Goldballs but I doubt they could handle these threats or blow up a planet for that matter. Look at this horrible shit:

Black Priests, immune to the power cosmic and telepathy, seemingly indestructible, words that kill:

Mapmakers, adaptable, resisted tech attacks from Iron Man and Doom, untold numbers, capable of remote genetic deletion:

Superman had to glass the battlefield just to stop them from calling in reinforcements

We don't know outside of speculation. They could be evil Doctor Stranges or simply fallen Sorcerer Supremes or something else entirely.

I haven't kept up with Team Goldballs but I doubt they could handle these threats or blow up a planet for that matter. Look at this horrible shit:

Black Priests, immune to the cosmic power and telepathy, seemingly indestructible, words that kill:

Mapmakers, adaptable, resisted tech attacks from Iron Man and Doom, untold numbers, capable of remote genetic deletion:

Superman had to glass the battlefield just to stop them from calling in reinforcements

I love this stuff.
I think I have to get into comics again.

Mudcrab

I was randomly reminded of this page then googled it and found that other comic boards have been discussing this very scene from Exiles: King Hyperion. Let me know how far fetched this connection might be.

AkAgdhh.jpg

PsychBat!

Banned
I was randomly reminded of this page then googled it and found that other comic boards have been discussing this very scene from Exiles: King Hyperion. Let me know how far fetched this connection might be.

AkAgdhh.jpg
I fucking loved the Exiles. What a fantastic, emotionally draining comic book.
And this is a neat theory. Rabum Alal is a non-issue and the fault is entirely King Hyperion's. But the last time we saw him, he was beaten bloody and never seen again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

AkAgdhh.jpg

Wow that's straight up it. I've just started re-reading the whole Avengers run this evening (omg so good) and Reed lays it out exactly like that in issue 2 of NA. It started when something caused two universes to collide and explode and then this caused a cascading collapse. That's pretty amazing if Hickman has used this story as his jumping on point, I wonder how he'll incorporate it once he gets to the ending exposition. It's funny how he does this, he did similar using Millar's nu world and the marvel cosmic stuff in his FF run, but having such a pivotal part of his story tied back to something so obscure is impressive comics archeology.

Going back to the start of the run it's incredible how well he's set everything up, everything just oozes dramatic irony. The Illuminati are so sure of themselves at first and it so quickly gets undercut and there's so much further to fall. Such a bleak and fucked up run, I pity whoever has to follow this. How on earth do you follow the end of everything?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The Hyperion in 616 was also retrieved from the space between two collapsed universes.

I've read all of the current Avengers and New Avengers, but I swear I can't remember any of the stuff above. There are just so many intertwined books out there for me to keep track off, not to mention there doesn't seem to be any reading order for this series.

So what's the timeline with when Orignal SIn happened and the incursions started?

I wonder how things would be different if Nick motherfucking Fury was in on this from the beginning.

This is way, way above Nick's paygrade.

If he was in the illuminati I just wonder how he would have handled it.

He obviously would've been on Namor's side in blowing up the other planet but I doubt he would be dumb enough to set Thanos free and form the Cabal.(without having a way to completely control him that is) All it really is blowing up some planets over and over(just stalling until a permanent fix can be made obviously), surely a guy who has engineered entire galactic wars and committed genocide on other planets can think of a better solution than Namor.

I've read all of the current Avengers and New Avengers, but I swear I can't remember any of the stuff above. There are just so many intertwined books out there for me to keep track off, not to mention there doesn't seem to be any reading order for this series.

This is in the OP, I don't know if it is official or not
Hopefully Marvel releases a few omnibus for this run like they did with Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Edit: Just realized this is only up til the end of Infinity.

ElFly

LoL. What the hell did Namor expect would happen?

"Well, let's see. How about I gather the worst murderous psychopaths my universe produced and let them go on a genocidal killing spree across the multi-verse with no accountability."

"What? They actually like the killing? They can't be controlled? How could this happen!!!"

I wonder how Namor kept them off killing everyone on 616 in the first place.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder how Namor kept them off killing everyone on 616 in the first place.

I imagine Black Swan keeps them in line. Besides, Thanos isn't a rabid dog. If Namor explained that so long as he left the 616 alone that he'd be able to kill as many alternate Earths as he wants he'd go with it. For a while anyway.

I imagine Black Swan keeps them in line. Besides, Thanos isn't a rabid dog. If Namor explained that so long as he left the 616 alone that he'd be able to kill as many alternate Earths as he wants he'd go with it. For a while anyway.
I think Thanos has got to have some kind of endgame planned so he might be biding his time learning something new every time he destroys alternate worlds. With the eight months that passed I wonder if they ever encountered mapmakers or black priest, in the latest issue it doesn't seem like it.

Does Thanos still want to die? I think the universe blowing up is a good way to bypass Death's little spell.(or would she die too and so he doesn't want that to happen?)

i don't know how that works.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Pretty sure Hyperion is an all new version of the character.

He (probably) is, but it's still very much a possible link.

The wiki page says that he's all-new but he did seem to be come from a very similar universe to the one King Hyperion destroyed, I think it's all tied in together, or at least Hickman is doing a subtle, streamlined reboot of the character to suit the purpose of his story.

tbh I think the biggest failing of this run is in the new characters like Hyperion and Captain Universe and just how little we know about them and what they can do. I like the sense of mystery to it, but they do have a slight deus ex machina vibe to them.

This run is pretty much just plot plot plot, unlike how character driven FF was a lot of the time.

Spoit

What's up with captain universe anyway. Last time I remember there being one, he sacrificed himself to give the proto-gotg time to get away from the phalanx

Mudcrab

It's all New Avengers. Black Priests, Mapmakers and Sungod scenes are from NA issues 13, 14, and 17 respectively.

Edit: Just realized this is only up til the end of Infinity.

Right that's about as complicated as it gets. After Infinity the story is contained between New Avengers and Avengers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's really interesting rereading the first issue of Avengers again knowing Steve just got mindwiped. It really does make Tony look worse like he has no conscience. Also is fun to see Ex nihilo and co now I know what they're up to, I found those sections hard to get through at first, they're very jargon filled until you know what they're talking about. This series was totally made for the second read.

It's all New Avengers. Black Priests, Mapmakers and Sungod scenes are from NA issues 13, 14, and 17 respectively.

Right that's about as complicated as it gets. After Infinity the story is contained between New Avengers and Avengers.

Really? I read NA exclusively and then went back and read all the other stuff. Unfortunately doing so made it extremely confusing for me.

For example I still haven't seen (but yet, I know) how Thanos was released.

Mudcrab

How was he released again? Something to do with Corvus regenerating inside the cube or did Maximus just break him out?

Yup, Corvus was slowly regenerating by himself. Maximus sped the process up by drilling a hole in the stasis cube with a microscopic drill while bragging to Black Swan about how smart he is. If you look closely at the scene you can see Thanos and Proxima smiling inside the cube after the drilling starts. Originally they were frozen with a shocked look on their faces.

AkAgdhh.jpg

Hell...

That's amazing if Hickman pulled it from that far back. I remember reading the single issues way back when. It even looks like the word the Timebreakers speak is the one spoken by the Black Priests.

Loke13

....I've never liked Cullen Bunn anyway...what have they done to you Lobo...geezus
I don't get it what's wrong with the new Lobo? I like it it's more modern and fits with the overall aesthetics of the Nu52 "sleek&flashy" the ol Lobo looked like he was perpetually stuck in the 90's.

Top Bottom