• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

We going to pretend Operation Galacticstorm didn't happened.

He's a man that grew up during the great depression. He has no business commanding interstellar forces or applying tactics he picked up during WW2 to battles involving vast armadas in 3 dimensional space.

The moment where Kirk outsmarts Khan during the Wrath of Khan comes to mind. He's not suited to it or at least he should be significantly worse at it when compared to alien commanders (I'm thinking of the Infinity saga here) who've been around the block for a lot longer than he has.

kswiston

The infinity arc didn't make much sense anyway. They were struggling against their armada for most of it but then Thor killing one single Builder on "interstellar television" turns the whole thing around?

Also, Steve Rogers (whose experience has mostly been Earth-based battles) being taken seriously is a bit of a stretch.

1) The Avengers became a galactic rallying call after that event. People who had no idea what was going on now knew the enemies were mortal.

2) All of the Builders' Ex Nihilos abandoned them after they forced one to kill a planet

3) Starbrand and others destroyed all their big guns

4) Captain America's real superpower is basically super strategizing

5) Comics

Slayven

He's a man that grew up during the great depression. He has no business commanding interstellar forces or applying tactics he picked up during WW2 to battles involving vast armadas in 3 dimensional space.

The moment where Kirk outsmarts Khan during the Wrath of Khan comes to mind. He's not suited to it or at least he should be significantly worse at it when compared to alien commanders (I'm thinking of the Infinity saga here) who've been around the block for a lot longer than he has.

And Hawkeye is just an ex carny, didn't stop him from beating the Grandmaster.

Cap is just that good at tactics. His upbringing has nothing to do with it. Some people are just tactical students or did we forget about the genocidal art student drop out who conquered most of Europe including a country that was called a super power in less than a month?

Steve has that tactical mind.

He can look at a military or combat scenario and come up with a solution.

Slayven

Cap is just that good at tactics. His upbringing has nothing to do with it. Some people are just tactical students or did we forget about the genocidal art student drop out who conquered most of Europe including a country that was called a super power in less than a month?

Steve has that tactical mind.

He can look at a military or combat scenario and come up with a solution.

Wait, Steve is a good artist too.......

And Hawkeye is just an ex carny, didn't stop him from beating the Grandmaster.
Captain America is supposed to be some kind of tactical genius but yet he doesn't have remotely the same level of experience as... ah, what's the point. Stuff will happen if the writer wants it to happen.

Mafro

Yeah but Hitler couldn't draw people where Steve can.

Still wish Storm/Emma/Magneto/Rachel could of been on the Illumanati.
If I remember correctly Hickman was wanting to use Magneto (probably instead of Beast as Xavier's replacement, which totally makes sense) but this was nixed by Bendis because of Bendis being Bendis. I remember him mentioning it in a CBR interview.

If I remember correctly Hickman was wanting to use Magneto (probably instead of Beast as Xavier's replacement, which totally makes sense) but this was nixed by Bendis because of Bendis being Bendis. I remember him mentioning it in a CBR interview.

I think it was Emma Frost but Magneto would have worked as well.

dareacher

Banned
so who is behind all of this....is anyone behind it?? My guess is on the beyonder...wasnt the last time we saw him during Bendis's illuminati mini?

so who is behind all of this....is anyone behind it?? My guess is on the beyonder...wasnt the last time we saw him during Bendis's illuminati mini?

doesn't fit. we know the beyonder's origins (kinda. sorta.) and it doesn't make sense with the "birth" of the antagonist eliminating an alternate earth.

the best guess I've found so far is that alternate-galactus from FF #600. but even he's not really "behind it" just the catalyst that started it.

dareacher

Banned
doesn't fit. we know the beyonder's origins (kinda. sorta.) and it doesn't make sense with the "birth" of the antagonist eliminating an alternate earth.

the best guess I've found so far is that alternate-galactus from FF #600. but even he's not really "behind it" just the catalyst that started it.

yeah your probably right...just wishful thinking. Gotta say , was on a little down lately on comics overall but this story is just pure gold. i was one of the few to be sad when bendis left avengers and was kind of lost at the beginning of hickmans run but man the slow burn is paying off big time. Curious to see when all is said and done where it will stand in the 'best avengers stories ever told'.

Hearing this for the first time, I kind of prefer Beast instead of Magneto as Xavier's replacement. I always viewed this current incarnation of the Illuminati as mainly being the smartest "heroes" in the Marvel Universe. Seeing Amadeus Cho, Banner, and Pym on the Illuminati in the current arc validated that in my mind.

Slayven

TmLx3hO.jpg

Not quite
Brian Bendis said:
I was full-on the "Avengers" writer at the time of these meetings, and I wasn't aware of how disinterested the other writers and editors were in Charles Xavier. It surprised me. It might have been Axel [Alonso] who pointed out that the characters had just outgrown him; the main core characters. That was a) a testament to Xavier's potency as a teacher, and b) when he's not in the book, it's more interesting. They had found that out. Then I -- I do admit -- was the one that said, "Well, let's just kill him, then! What would be more interesting than that?" [Jonathan] Hickman still doesn't forgive me for fucking up his Illuminati by doing that. He still brings it up, so I know he's still not over it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well the only X-Men that would have worked in New Avengers would have been Beast, Xavier and Mags. Anyone else would have gone to the full team pretty early on, especially Scott and Logan. That said, I'd have liked to see how Cyke would have handled the whole thing. I doubt he'd have been as passive as Beast has been.

Sadist

Well the only X-Men that would have worked in New Avengers would have been Beast, Xavier and Mags. Anyone else would have gone to the full team pretty early on, especially Scott and Logan. That said, I'd have liked to see how Cyke would have handled the whole thing. I doubt he'd have been as passive as Beast has been.
Scott? He would have been on Namor's side :p

I'm still glad they went with Beast though.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
But really, why didn't they ever ask Doom?

Because Hickman didnt want to till now its his story, if they did use the cabal it would be Doom in there as well and Frost....well maybe not Frost anymore. I am wondering where Wizard is though. They shoulda found the damn High Evolutionary too.

If anything, pre-Schism Cyclops had a place to be there. (Not on Cabal, Illuminati.)

Being able to blast energy beams out of your eyes probably wouldn't have meant much next to the rest of them. If you're going to hang out with some of the most intelligent and powerful beings on the planet you better be able to match them like for like.

Being able to blast energy beams out of your eyes probably wouldn't have meant much next to the rest of them. If you're going to hang out with some of the most intelligent and powerful beings on the planet you better be able to match them like for like.

they need someone who can pull off a smug grin when they win, no one does smug grins better than Cyclops, put him in coach.

V_Arnold

What? Scott is a *very* good tactician.
It is as if people deliberately forget about anything he did in Dark Reign.

Loke13

Captain America is far better, which is why he's there (or was).
Cyclops accomplishments as well as being a successful team leader to the X-Men for decades as well as being the Mutant leader of Utopia more than earned him a spot on the Illuminati.

And as for firepower well...

1308598-aston9bk_super.jpg

he more than makes the grade.

Mxrz

Beast just seemed to be going through the motions. Even the talk with his younger self didn't do much. Its part of the issue with the core set up. Seems like characters should be all in, like Namor, or all out, like Cap.

PsychBat!

Banned
Beast just seemed to be going through the motions. Even the talk with his younger self didn't do much. Its part of the issue with the core set up. Seems like characters should be all in, like Namor, or all out, like Cap.
Beast seemed to be dragged in to it by Captain America of all people! And since then has only been going along with what everyone else is doing. He's the only character I think that Hickman has little to no interest in. I hope that's not the case.

Cyclops accomplishments as well as being a successful team leader to the X-Men for decades as well as being the Mutant leader of Utopia more than earned him a spot on the Illuminati.

And as for firepower well...

1308598-aston9bk_super.jpg

he more than makes the grade.

If only he was still that powerful.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't we find up it was caused by microbots or something a month or two ago?

Nanomachines
son
, but I believe they went back on that as their powers are still not fixed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

PsychBat!

Banned
So these are the covers for the next three issues for New Avengers.
Having trouble what the next issue cover could mean and it's pretty clear that Tony has fallen in the second cover and is distraught.
What really intrigues me is that the Black Priest in the center has a medallion under his mask/helmet resembling Doctor Strange's. Could it be him?

I don't really think Hickman had much of a choice when it came to picking out a X-Men for the Illuminati, he probably just figured to add another egghead although I did like this exchange with Beast and Namor
Namor/
Devil
whispering sweet nothings in your ear

I don't think Cyclops would have contributed much to this group, although I would like to see what Hickman could do with the character. Maybe Marvel will have Hickman pick up after Bendis once again...

Top Bottom