• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

PsychBat!

Banned
It's interesting that the cosmic powers haven't gotten involved yet. I imagine Eternity & Infinity might have something to say about their universe getting wiped out.
I think Hickman isn't much of a fan with going full blown cosmic type stuff ala Infinity Gauntlet like Starlin or DnA.

That's just speculation though. A very weak reason and nothing more. It does seem odd that none of the abstracts are noticing a multiversal collapse of everything that exists. Might have something to do with Oblivion.

Loke13

Why does Strange have no soul anyway? I'm not familiar enough with the character to know what he's been up to over the years.
I think it has to do with the New Avengers Annual he ended up using Black magic to absorb some kind of demon in that issue so that might have something to do with it.

Why does Strange have no soul anyway? I'm not familiar enough with the character to know what he's been up to over the years.
During Infinity he was easily manipulated by one of Thanos generals so in desperate attempt to gain more power he sacrificed his soul for the power of godhood or something like that.

Loke13

During Infinity he was easily manipulated by one of Thanos generals so in desperate attempt to gain more power he sacrificed his soul for the power of godhood or something like that.
That was his plan but it didn't end up going that way. He was actually denied the power on account of not having a "soul" at the time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it has to do with the New Avengers Annual he ended up using Black magic to absorb some kind of demon in that issue so that might have something to do with it.

I think that was meant to show that he had been using dark magic for a while, albeit with noble intentions. Basically he's been so willing to sacrifice his soul and use the dark arts to save people that he's got none left for when it really mattered.

Showaddy

Gotta say though I thought the New Avengers art was pretty great overall, Thanos looks kinda bad.
1411568057584.jpg

1411568168458.jpg

I am tradewaiting, so I need to avoid spoilers as much as possible. Just want to chip in that Hickman's run has some of my favourite Avengers stories and moments from all of history. Up to both of the current HCs, it keeps getting better. Hoping the upcoming Original Sin HCs aren't too shit. Now I must disappear.

Jean Grey wanted to eat planets? An alien planet she had never been to before? The Phoenix did all that shit another recent retcon, being in Jean allowed the guardian of the m'krann crystal feel volition and emotion and it tried them both, the beings immense power is what made it so fucking dangerous to be bonded with anyone mortal that had free will and morals because they weren't consistent. Even Galactus told off the phoenix for this post being linked with Jean Grey. The guardian of the crystal is supposed to be just that, because you know, thats the actual relic of power, not the phoenix...oh wait another convenient change. Jean ultimately died because she knew the Phoenix with ANY MORTAL BEING was too dangerous and the way to release it was to kill its avatar.

So yeah its still all recent changes to character , AvX was what 2 years ago , the other 60+ years of Sub Mariner in his own stories, marvel presents, The Defenders, Avengers and FF4 say that Namor has definitely been drastically changed, even if he did ultimately buy time for Doom to do his work.

Exactly. By saying the Phoenix snuffed billions of random alien lives because of some hidden desire of Jean's you'd be going into the realm of the potential darkness in any sentient person. By relying on that explanation you inadvertently exonerate her because everyone has that. The reason Cyclops gets the blame is because it was a point of drama the writer came up with by itself (because consequences!) and then resorted to cheap devices and inconsistent characterization to get there.

Mxrz

At this point, be surprised if the big bad at the end doesn't turn out to be the future version of some other character. Strange seems likely. Namor would be pretty huge, but can't see him getting the spotlight. Reed and co would be a little boring after all the other times.

If nothing else, series has left me wanting to get into some of Strange's series.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
At this point, be surprised if the big bad at the end doesn't turn out to be the future version of some other character. Strange seems likely. Namor would be pretty huge, but can't see him getting the spotlight. Reed and co would be a little boring after all the other times.

If nothing else, series has left me wanting to get into some of Strange's series.

I really feel it's the illuminati or the cabal, black swan said they are almost a constant inall her travels. Maybe 616 is unique because they have both team existing?

Spoit

I think Hickman isn't much of a fan with going full blown cosmic type stuff ala Infinity Gauntlet like Starlin or DnA.

That's just speculation though. A very weak reason and nothing more. It does seem odd that none of the abstracts are noticing a multiversal collapse of everything that exists. Might have something to do with Oblivion.

I mean, look at what happened when he tried to go cosmic with the builders in infinity. It just didn't pan out very well

Loke13

I mean, look at what happened when he tried to go cosmic with the builders in infinity. It just didn't pan out very well
I don't think it was bad it might not have been up to Annihilation Conquest standards but it's still leagues better than any event Marvel has put out in the past few years.

The infinity arc didn't make much sense anyway. They were struggling against their armada for most of it but then Thor killing one single Builder on "interstellar television" turns the whole thing around?

Also, Steve Rogers (whose experience has mostly been Earth-based battles) being taken seriously is a bit of a stretch.

Cap also lead during the Shiar Kree war arc as well. The Earthlings have always been shown as being stronger than the other planets for whatever reason.

Slayven

The infinity arc didn't make much sense anyway. They were struggling against their armada for most of it but then Thor killing one single Builder on "interstellar television" turns the whole thing around?

Also, Steve Rogers (whose experience has mostly been Earth-based battles) being taken seriously is a bit of a stretch.

We going to pretend Operation Galacticstorm didn't happened.

Where Cap took this ragtag group into space and fucked up the whole universal pecking order?

1979062-galactic.png

The Spartoi (or at least J'Son, Star Lord's father) tried raising this point- "why should we listen to a backwater planet like earth in the first place" and got smacked down by the supreme intelligence who pointed out that the Avengers have a much higher success rate against the Kree than the spartoi did, so J'Son should sit his ass down.

Not only did cap fight in the kree/skrull war and galactic storm, the avengers have been involved in resolving the infinity gauntlet issue, defeating Thanos, defeating Galactus, and the Annihilation wave was stopped largely due to the efforts of heroes originally from earth, like Nova, Quasar, and Drax.

Earth isn't a huge empire, but hits way above their paygrade.

OldRoutes

The Spartoi (or at least J'Son, Star Lord's father) tried raising this point- "why should we listen to a backwater planet like earth in the first place" and got smacked down by the supreme intelligence who pointed out that the Avengers have a much higher success rate against the Kree than the spartoi did, so J'Son should sit his ass down.

Not only did cap fight in the kree/skrull war and galactic storm, the avengers have been involved in resolving the infinity gauntlet issue, defeating Thanos, defeating Galactus, and the Annihilation wave was stopped largely due to the efforts of heroes originally from earth, like Nova, Quasar, and Drax.

Earth isn't a huge empire, but hits way above their paygrade.

dhMeAzK.gif

Beautiful.

Top Bottom