• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Deadly

So there's an interesting theory floating around that these two teasers:

Aren't about these events being rehashed but instead are alternate earths that will deal with Incursions as part of Hickman's story. Secret Wars starts in May 2015 these say Summer 2015.
Age of Ultron was just time travel though? But it would definitely be interesting. The only sad thing about this is, if true, we won't get a conclusion to the incursion storyline by summer 2015 :(

Goldrush

So there's an interesting theory floating around that these two teasers:

Aren't about these events being rehashed but instead are alternate earths that will deal with Incursions as part of Hickman's story. Secret Wars starts in May 2015 these say Summer 2015.

I hope not. Marvel Zombies are at their worst when taken seriously.

Mudcrab

Age of Ultron was just time travel though? But it would definitely be interesting. The only sad thing about this is that we won't get a conclusion to the incursion storyline by summer 2015 :(

It could simply be another Earth where Age of Ultron was never prevented just like there could be another Earth where Civil War is still ongoing/ended differently.

I hope not. Marvel Zombies are at their worst when taken seriously.

In Hickman We Trust. Still it's just a theory we might actually get Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Spoit

Age of Ultron was just time travel though? But it would definitely be interesting. The only sad thing about this is, if true, we won't get a conclusion to the incursion storyline by summer 2015 :(

I thought that was the whole point of the 8 month time skip.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm willing to bet the incursion story wraps up soonish, the Secret Wars will be the overspill from that. Kinda like how Infinity was the prelude to the incursion storyline.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm willing to bet the incursion story wraps up soonish, the Secret Wars will be the overspill from that. Kinda like how Infinity was the prelude to the incursion storyline.

Yea the Incursion plot is the most logical thing to spin another Civil War off of, they've already split into 2 camps with cap and tony at odds with one another. But that picture they're using to market it is clearly the iron man and spidey of the original Civil War... so who knows.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yea the Incursion plot is the most logical thing to spin another Civil War off of, they've already split into 2 camps with cap and tony at odds with one another. But that picture they're using to market it is clearly the iron man and spidey of the original Civil War... so who knows.

ComicsGAF official theory is that this Events Megamix thing (No More Mutants, Civil War, Age of Ultron, Marvel Zombies etc) will perhaps be some multiversal shenanigans - maybe a multiversal war once the immediate threat of the incursions is over.

I don't think they're literally going to re-do these events, I think they've done this as a joke to troll the fans a bit.

Fintan

Maybe it's all just part of the rumoured reboot? Like space-time/Multiverse collapses and the events are relived or whatever and they make any continuity changes etc. They want through that.

I'd bet the opposite. Rather than "wrapping up" the incursion storyline escalates beyond just Avengers and New Avengers, involving the entire MU and becoming "secret war".

Maybe it's all just part of the rumoured reboot? Like space-time/Multiverse collapses and the events are relived or whatever and they make any continuity changes etc. They want through that.

I don't think a reboot is happening. We've seen time and again (usually from DC) that reboots inevitably cave to fan demand to bring back the status quo, leaving the universe more complicated than if the publisher had done nothing at all. Marvel has made this very clear with explicitly making " the death of Spiderman", " the death of wolverine", " the unworthy Thor" and "cap is geriatric" limited time events. These changes are not meant to stick and you'll be back to normal eventually.

Now, SIMPLIFYING the MU? Different story. The ultimate universe has long outlived its usefulness and needs to go. There's no reason for dozens of different hyperions. The abstract tier is a mess of cubes and gauntlets and heralds and m-bodies.

Getting rid of all that and cleaning house has advantages, and fans are less prone to riot.

Slayven

Ultimately what would a reboot accomplish? Nobody is really bogged down by their history ala Hawkman or Donna Troy. Hell they become more interesting because of it.

Mudcrab

NA 25: More methodical than the last issue but still...
"I'm the last Captain Britain left." Wow, Marvel really is cleaning house. Also Sue Storm going in hard.

Sadist

New Avengers 25

So I guess smart Hulk is back? Reed rocking that beard. Definitely a slower paced issue, but one with enough bits and pieces. Fucking hell at that Captain Brittain bit. Marvel is not fucking around. And what the hell at Sue: she's mad as hell. Loved Reed's face when she told Cho her husband should be in jail.

Slayven

"I'm the last Captain Britain left." Wow, Marvel really is cleaning house. Also Sue Storm going in hard.

You know
the Captain Britians are slightly better then GLs, but they still get slaughtered every 10 years or so.

PsychBat!

Banned
New Avengers 25

So I guess smart Hulk is back?
It ain't Banner, at least that's what he says and he definitely does not like being called Hulk. He goes by Doc Green and has an entirely different personality from the rest of his previous incarnations. You can read about it in the current Hulk on-going.

This series always leaves me feeling as if I've missed out on a lot of the tie-in issues. I'm basically left thinking" "Why are some of those characters there and how did they get there?!!"

But I suppose that is to be expected when it messes around with time jumps.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
You know
the Captain Britians are slightly better then GLs, but they still get slaughtered every 10 years or so.

yeah but at least thats spread out between multiple dimensions and realities , GL's get face raped and EVERYONE in the galaxy knows it every 5 months.

I told you. All that alternate universe stuff is on death watch.

That spoiler just pulls the rug right out from under "spider verse" though.

Sinatar

I told you. All that alternate universe stuff is on death watch.

That spoiler just pulls the rug right out from under "spider verse" though.

Well the spider-verse stuff seems to be taking place before the 8 month time jump, so I don't think it's affecting it at all.

Slayven

yeah but at least thats spread out between multiple dimensions and realities , GL's get face raped and EVERYONE in the galaxy knows it every 5 months.

It is not a new story arc unless 3279 GLs die in the first 4 pages. Why doesn't Merlin and his daughter ever do anything?

Sadist

It ain't Banner, at least that's what he says and he definitely does not like being called Hulk. He goes by Doc Green and has an entirely different personality from the rest of his previous incarnations. You can read about it in the current Hulk on-going.
Oh. Do you have a short summary on that maybe? I'm not much of a Hulk reader (not since Pak left) so that's a new bit of info for me :p

Mxrz

Bearded Reed and co set up a network connection, Panther states the obvious.
Why.

I'm confused. Is NA ahead of other comics? I want more of this story. Seems like all the other books are on something else.

Why.

I'm confused. Is NA ahead of other comics? I want more of this story. Seems like all the other books are on something else.

Take a closer look at the top of the cover.

kswiston

Why.

New Avengers and Avengers are 8 months ahead of the Marvel U. Probably in part to let Hickman finish up without getting bogged down by AXIS.

Well the spider-verse stuff seems to be taking place before the 8 month time jump, so I don't think it's affecting it at all.

you missed what I was trying to say.

if brian braddock is the last captain britain, then that means Spider-UK fails and doesn't survive spider-verse. not really surprising as i expect pretty much everyone to die during that event, but STILL

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
you missed what I was trying to say.

if brian braddock is the last captain britain, then that means Spider-UK fails and doesn't survive spider-verse. not really surprising as i expect pretty much everyone to die during that event, but STILL

Well it's not like Captain Britians have a very good survival rate in the first place, so big surprise.

Spoit

Too bad they didn't get around to bringing back the nova corps yet. It's been a while since they've been annihilated

Mudcrab

No seriously, something is up:

f1N8CHG.jpg
NKJs36R.jpg

Question is does this have anything to do with Hickman's story?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Devil donosaur had nothing to do with planet hulk, and as that appears to be a planet of hulks, id say it definetely has something to do with it.

Goldrush

Except for Marvel Zombies, seems more like Broken Time than universal collapse. Still not sure if Broken Time relates to Hickman.

Speaking of Broken Time, is Galactus still stuck in
Ultimate-verse
?

Mudcrab

So I'm confused. Is Time Runs Out supposed to be resolved by the time these summer events roll in?

Time Runs Out should finish before Secret Wars which starts May of next year. Since these are all happening in Summer 2015 people are speculating that this has something to do with Hickman's saga rather than each of them being their own unique event.

Some theories I've read say it could be A) more Incursion events like maybe the Zombie Illuminati has to blow up a Planet Ultron as part of Secret Wars or B) Time gets seriously ruined and these past events aren't just retconned or rebooted but utterly wrecked like Planet Hulk is now about Captain America and Devil Dinosaur fighting a literal world full of Hulks instead of what it once was.

Again it's all guess work until Marvel stops messing with us. No one really knows what any of this means.

Sinatar

Time Runs Out should finish before Secret Wars which starts May of next year. Since these are all happening in Summer 2015 people are speculating that this has something to do with Hickman's saga rather than each of them being their own unique event.

Some theories I've read say it could be A) more Incursion events like maybe the Zombie Illuminati has to blow up a Planet Ultron as part of Secret Wars or B) Time gets seriously ruined and these past events aren't just retconned or rebooted but utterly wrecked like Planet Hulk is now about Captain America and Devil Dinosaur fighting a literal world full of Hulks instead of what it once was.

Again it's all guess work until Marvel stops messing with us. No one really knows what any of this means.

Well given the name 'Secret Wars' we could be looking at a universal Highlander scenario where some kind of Galactic God Figure (say the living tribunal) decides that only one universe can survive the multiversal apocalypse and they then send their champions forward to fight for the right of survival.

Top Bottom