• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

2351492-u-23-322x500.jpg

As much as I like Remenders X-Force run I dislike that they brought AOA back (which I know was not originally his idea). It goes against the entire point of the original which was that it wasn't an alternate universe but the actual Marvel universe being changed and changed back in the end.

Macmanus

Comic book gaf I have questions for you! I do not read super hero comics (for no specific reason), but East of West is currently my favorite comic. I also get down on God Is Dead every now and again. I love Hickman.

Could someone recommend some god tier Hickman superhero books that I should read? Should I start here? Keep in mind I'm mildly Marvel ignorant.

Mafro

Comic book gaf I have questions for you! I do not read super hero comics (for no specific reason), but East of West is currently my favorite comic. I also get down on God Is Dead every now and again. I love Hickman.

Could someone recommend some god tier Hickman superhero books that I should read? Should I start here? Keep in mind I'm mildly Marvel ignorant.
You should definitely start with his Fantastic Four/Future Foundation run before reading Avengers/New Avengers.

Mudcrab

You should start with his Fantastic Four run then continue with this story. He's also done Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. go back to those if you like his superhero writing.

Oh and if you haven't already give Manhattan Projects a shot.

Loke13

His FF run is highly acclaimed so I would suggest biting down on that or if you want something a bit more bleak you should read his New Avengers run.

Macmanus

You should start with his Fantastic Four run then continue with this story. He's also done Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. go back to those if you like his superhero writing.

Oh and if you haven't already give Manhattan Projects a shot.

Thank you all for the FF suggestion. I'll start with that.

I have Vol 1 of MP sitting on my shelf, waiting to be touched. Perhaps I should touch it.

kswiston

Future Imperfect announced:

I am really starting to think that we will see Marvel's entire line put on hold AoA style when all of these event remixes drop next summer. Armor Wars will replace Iron Man, Future Imperfect will replace Hulk, etc.

Mudcrab

From Tuesday: "Set your watch. Your next Spider-Man related freak out is on the way." - Dan Slott

From today: "I've officially been told to stay off the internet. Signing off for the day. My one & only comment: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 Part 1 of #SpiderVerse Out next Weds. :)"

Yes, Marvel is definitely fucking with us.

As much as I like Remenders X-Force run I dislike that they brought AOA back (which I know was not originally his idea). It goes against the entire point of the original which was that it wasn't an alternate universe but the actual Marvel universe being changed and changed back in the end.

Well....kinda.

The way the MU works is that any time travel business that happens will result in an alternate timeline splitting off. It doesn't rewrite the old one completely, you just end up with more potential possibilities.

If you're a DBZ fan, think of how future trunks going back in time didn't erase his reality, it was still there but now there was a valid timeline where goku lived thanks to his actions.

An in universe example of this is the exiles traveling to 2099 (before the conclusion of 2099 AD) with Proteus, exposing the identity of Spidey 2099 and taking him with them. This didn't change 2099, but instead created an alternate version of it, and we recently saw "alternate" Miguel Ohara in spider verse along with the original.

The exception to this is Doom's time machine (this is probably a retcon but go with it) which somehow is able to alter existing timelines without paradox or creating new realities. It's use during age of Ultron was the straw that broke time, and further use of it brought the O5 XMEN to the present and almost collapsed reality when young Cyclops "died" for a few moments. (no Cyclops means just about every event ever turns out way differently).

Well....kinda.

The way the MU works is that any time travel business that happens will result in an alternate timeline splitting off. It doesn't rewrite the old one completely, you just end up with more potential possibilities.

If you're a DBZ fan, think of how future trunks going back in time didn't erase his reality, it was still there but now there was a valid timeline where goku lived thanks to his actions.

An in universe example of this is the exiles traveling to 2099 (before the conclusion of 2099 AD) with Proteus, exposing the identity of Spidey 2099 and taking him with them. This didn't change 2099, but instead created an alternate version of it, and we recently saw "alternate" Miguel Ohara in spider verse along with the original.

The exception to this is Doom's time machine (this is probably a retcon but go with it) which somehow is able to alter existing timelines without paradox or creating new realities. It's use during age of Ultron was the straw that broke time, and further use of it brought the O5 XMEN to the present and almost collapsed reality when young Cyclops "died" for a few moments. (no Cyclops means just about every event ever turns out way differently).

That is the way it normally is, but the original AOA storyline clearly intended for it to be changing the 616 reality.

Goldrush

Future Imperfect announced:

I am really starting to think that we will see Marvel's entire line put on hold AoA style when all of these event remixes drop next summer. Armor Wars will replace Iron Man, Future Imperfect will replace Hulk, etc.

The pessimist in me thinks that it'll be more like Spider-verse where most of these universes will only get one page cameo.

kswiston

The pessimist in me thinks that it'll be more like Spider-verse where most of these universes will only get one page cameo.

They are making too big a deal about it, and some of the more random ones (Future Imperfect, Armor Wars, Old Man Logan) are focused on a single character while others were big line wide events. You can find ongoing books that tie into every single preview shown to date. They even have one for Inhuman.

C-Drive

Haven't kept up with much in comics outside of this storyline, but is it possible Marvel uses this as a way to separate all the film properties others are never letting go (FF/X-Men) and the ones they own or have a chance at (MCU/Spidey) into two separate Earths? The "Last Incursion" starts up featuring the last two earths in the multiverse, they stop it, the incursion ends and the two universes separate, leaving FF/X-Men stranded on one?

I don't do wild fan speculation but considering how Marvel have been treating those two properties on the comic side I thought it interesting.

What if all of this is leading up to some big DC vs. Marvel event? Think about it in Spring 2015 both the DC Universe and Marvel will be in the exact same place with all the variations and multiple earths in crisis and fighting with each other and that egg that was mentioned in Fantastic Four #600 could be the egg that was left over at the end of the last JLA/Avengers crossover:

jlaavengers1.jpg

I know its improbable but it would be insanely cool if true

Top Bottom