• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Showaddy

So should we chalk this up as Tony's attempt at a Thanos-Buster or just a general all round Cabal-Buster?
1416418717915.jpg

Mxrz

That seemed like a whole lot of nothing.

Its hard to take any of the (New?) Avengers seriously, and it seems like the vibe is suppose to be plucky new kids vs corrupted old guys. But its starting to feel more preachy than entertaining. Its hard to follow the leap that the Illuminati did anything wrong with the alternative was the death of everything.

Also feels like all the scheming, preaching, judging, planning, and even the narrative sort of glosses over that motherf'ing Thanos and the Cabal are still the ones actually doing stuff. And then there's Cyclops. Everyone suddenly cool with him, beyond the fan-servicey "he dangerous!' bit?

Whats with the heavy Swan = Valeria stuff. Nearly drawn the same, nearly the same words, mention of a secret, dna, and the like. Didn't pick up on that at all before, and now its like I missed an issue where it was confirmed.

I'm mostly okay with Thanos blowing up 616 at this point.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So should we chalk this up as Tony's attempt at a Thanos-Buster or just a general all round Cabal-Buster?

Well id call it Cabal-Buster because clearly it wasnt meant only for Thanos, cuz Thanos while arguably the most powerful member of The Cabal was only one member.

And from the panels shown last issue it looks like the Suit was able to actually take down Corvus Glaive. Assuming he knew to destroy the Spear first.

Proxima Midnight and Terrax were probably just too much for the suit.
Heck out of the new Cabal i still think Proxima could take on terrax.
I really do hope she isnt written off after this event or atleast they use her more before her end.
Her cruelty and combat prowess make her easily my favorite member right now.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Secret Wars is going to be bonkers.

New Quack City, Eye of Agamotto, New Xandar...? This is crazy.

Mudcrab

That map... Hickman's gonna blow our fucking minds.

Secret Wars is going to be bonkers.

New Quack City, Eye of Agamotto, New Xandar...? This is crazy.

Kun Lun, King James' England, The City (likely from Hickman's Ultimates.)

Just imagine how crazy those classified areas will be.

Edit: The explanation for Manhattan, looks like 616 and 1610 will be joining forces?

Edit the Second: lmao Marville

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marville_%28comics%29

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That map... Hickman's gonna blow our fucking minds.

Kun Lun, King James' England, The City (likely from Hickman's Ultimates.)

Just imagine how crazy those classified areas will be.

Edit: The explanation for Manhattan, looks like 616 and 1610 will be joining forces?

Edit the Second: lmao Marville

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marville_%28comics%29

Why have I never heard of this before? Kal-AOL, jesus tapdancing christ.

Im guessing they show the 'Marville' nation getting obliterated within the first few issues.

I wonder what the three classified ones could be?

Some theories on the classified worlds:

-The MCU
-expanding on the theory posted earlier in the thread, maybe they are some of the already destroyed worlds from the incursions.

She gave Doom the same message and it looks like both of them are still going ahead with their plans. We have an inkling of Doom's plans, but as far as Reed and co we have no idea what they've got up their sleeves. Going from the last Avengers issue it looks like they'll be trying to fix everything all at once. I do wonder how AIM is going to play into all this.

Victor did hear Valeria's advice, tho. It is why he went chasing for the origin, instead of the ending. Well, more that he wasn't trying to defeat the thing in the first place.

Molecule Man having the same signature as the mapmaker tech pretty much confirms beyonder's involvement?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Im still confused as fuck reading this

Basically
the multiversal strike team of Thor, Hyperion, Starbrand, Nightmask and a metric shit-ton of Ex Nihili went and staged an assault on the Black Priest's homeworld in the void only to be bodied and discover that Doc Strange has surpassed them all and that all the Priests are doing is trying to keep the multiverse alive long enough for someone to find a way to stop the collapse, which is caused by some kind of war between Rabum Alal and the Ivory Kings. From there they decided to split up and take the fight to both sides at once, in the hopes that one or both will be defeated and this whole thing put to an end.

We still have no idea why Rabum Alal and the Black Swans or the Ivory Kings want to end the multiverse, only that they're both working towards that goal and against each other. We also still have no idea how SHIELD, DOOM or Reed's team fit into all this, but we do have a better idea as to what the heck is going on in the big picture

In short, we discovered that shit isn't quite as fucked as we thought and almost immediately after that we found that everything is actually worse than we could have ever imagined.

So New Avengers is a tie-in to Infinity, or is it the other way around?

Generally I fucking hate cross-overs. I got up to New Avengers 9, then read Infinity #1, which made New Avengers 9 make more sense. I guess I read Infinity #2 next, then New Avengers #10? This shit is confusing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So New Avengers is a tie-in to Infinity, or is it the other way around?

Generally I fucking hate cross-overs. I got up to New Avengers 9, then read Infinity #1, which made New Avengers 9 make more sense. I guess I read Infinity #2 next, then New Avengers #10? This shit is confusing.

Are you reading Avengers alongside New Avengers? If not Infinity is going to get a little confusing.

Here's the reading order:

Basically
the multiversal strike team of Thor, Hyperion, Starbrand, Nightmask and a metric shit-ton of Ex Nihili went and staged an assault on the Black Priest's homeworld in the void only to be bodied and discover that Doc Strange has surpassed them all and that all the Priests are doing is trying to keep the multiverse alive long enough for someone to find a way to stop the collapse, which is caused by some kind of war between Rabum Alal and the Ivory Kings. From there they decided to split up and take the fight to both sides at once, in the hopes that one or both will be defeated and this whole thing put to an end.

We still have no idea why Rabum Alal and the Black Swans or the Ivory Kings want to end the multiverse, only that they're both working towards that goal and against each other. We also still have no idea how SHIELD, DOOM or Reed's team fit into all this, but we do have a better idea as to what the heck is going on in the big picture

In short, we discovered that shit isn't quite as fucked as we thought and almost immediately after that we found that everything is actually worse than we could have ever imagined.

Excellent explanation. Though with the hints being dropped so far, and knowing that Secret Wars is the endgame, the odds of Rabum Alal being the Beyonder are pretty damn high right now.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent explanation. Though with the hints being dropped so far, and knowing that Secret Wars is the endgame, the odds of Rabum Alal being the Beyonder are pretty damn high right now.

Ivory Kings might make more sense. The color matches and the
Molecule Man
connection also points in that direction.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well we found out that Rabum Alal isn't the only thing trying to end the multiverse, the Ivory Kings are as well, so while the Beyonder might be involved I think it's going to wind up being a little more complicated than just one guy. The key to this whole thing may likely be whatever has caused the conflict between the two forces trying to end everything and what set them on that path in the first place.

EDIT: There's still some of the Council of Reeds left over if I remember right, they may just play into it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna guess some Franklin Richards iteration or Galactus Seed spawn for Rabum Alal.

Okay, I started reading Hickman's Avengers run, and the timeline jumping is a little confusing (is Ex Nihilo kicking everyone's ass in the past or the present? Is Tony telling Steve "We need to be bigger" in the past or the present?), but it's pretty awesome.

Gonna guess some Franklin Richards iteration or Galactus Seed spawn for Rabum Alal.

I was leaning that way, but we've seen beyonder on the cover of upcoming issues, battleworld is a copy of the same shit he did in secret wars 1 (on a bigger scale), and that mapmaker tech is putting out an energy signature identical to molecule man...which pretty much means beyonder is up to his eyeballs in this.

The galactus seed would make for a better story, but it's going to take some serious mental gymnastics to come up with someone who is NOT beyonder being behind it all.

Edit: oh I see what you mean. Beyonder could be leading the ivory kings with the galactus seed spawn as rabum alal

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: oh I see what you mean. Beyonder could be leading the ivory kings with the galactus seed spawn as rabum alal

Yes. We have two unknown faction leaders.

The Mapmakers are presumably tied to the Ivory Kings.

Shortly before their encounter, Strange had convinced his fellow Black Priests the need to attack their enemies, the Ivory Kings and Rabum Alal, so he offered to help the Avengers face them. In order to get to the Ivory King, it was needed to get hold of one of their Mapmakers, and in order to get to Rabum Alal, it was needed to get hold of one of his Black Swans. The Avengers would go get one of them, while the Black Priests tried to get the other.[3]

Why is collecting this such a mess?
I don't buy singles, they annoy me. I want a nice Hardcover for my bookcase.
Infinity includes all the tie-ins into itself, why there are no other collected versions of Hickman's Avengers that are just buy and go?

Infinity includes all the tie-ins into itself, why there are no other collected versions of Hickman's Avengers that are just buy and go?

Cuz mahvel thinks that the money they'd get from doing that < the money they'd get from not doing that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

We'll probably get an omnibus after it's all over, like with his FF run.

Top Bottom