• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Even Hickman will probably have the end of all this be something completely outside of their plans, a single heroic act by someone they couldn't predict.

Now that I think about it, I feel like this is why he brought Spider-man into all this. It does feel like the sort of thing he would do.

He's also lost sight of the larger problem though: the incursions. He's been more obsessed with catch Reed and the Illuminati than finding a solution to the real problem. There's a reason Natasha and Jessica betrayed him, that Thor went off into the multiverse. Steve is on a personal vendetta, it isn't about saving people or being a hero. If it was he'd be trying to stop the incursions as well, instead of being the only team not doing a damn thing about them.

Which would be fine if we didn't spend six issues with Cap time-tripping through a future that seemed just fine. Like Franklin said in Avengers #32, "You can't dodge fate." They do evil that will lead to no gain. We know this and Cap knows this.

rAlcbig.jpg

I believe the moment in question with probably involve Franklin Richards (or his idol Spider-Man), who stands at the Marvel Universe ideal. He doesn't compromise his ideals for a greater good. Valeria is more of the Reed. Without Franklin, she's bereft of moral compass.

Hf2FMqP.jpg

Cap's stubborn, but again killed heroes, blew up planet.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
ok as nice as all this
was trapping everybody in a bubble
can't be the end game. The cabal is still out there thats the fight I want to see.

Mudcrab

We haven't seen Pym do anything with the Illuminati aside from his name being dropped as a member, but there he is with the Beyonder on next issue's cover.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Captain America is the biggest boneheaded dumbass in all comics and I wish he'd be killed off already.

Wow, I feel pretty much the opposite. He's clearly in the wrong at the moment, and totally obsessed with catching the Illuminati, but he's one of the greatest characters in comics: an old fashioned hero in a world full of grey.

Comics would fucking suck without Steve Rogers.

So:
- NA #1-3 establish who the Illuminati are and how incursions work.
- Secret Wars #10-12 is the conclusion to the original mini.
- FF #611 exposes Doomverse and Future Val playing with the bridge.
- Ultimate Comics Ultimates #4 is mostly about asshole Ultimate Reed and his City (I guess that mirrors the Doomverse above)
- Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 introduced Miles Morales.

Am I missing something?

Only reason I can imagine him being reintroduced at this juncture after his long absence from the run.
To be fair, Peter was unavailable before the timeskip, so he has only been absent for a few issues.
He'll probably have a part to play but I wouldn't read too much into his absence up to that point.
Hell, the most surprising part is that he'd be with Cap rather than with Bobby.

Zom

Banned
As always I'm a little confused with the order of this, but basically the big things are happening in Avengers and New Avengers, is that correct?

nicanica

Sigh. This event was awful, maybe on par with Original Sin. Now I feel like Hickmann needs to weave damage control into his beautiful tapestry of a story arc.

Mudcrab

How so?

I'll wait for the hardcover but I don't mind spoilers.

A group of evil Avengers came to 616 from a world destroyed by an Incursion. One of them, Thorr, left behind a Mjolnir that could only be wielded if the owner be unworthy and since 616 Thor is now unworthy as of Original Sin he gets to use said hammer and all the powers that come with it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I wonder how they will revert Tony back...

Hell do some more messed up stuff, someonea gonna come in and wreck him. Then either someone will manually revert him(as well as havok) or hell have a backup plan to purge his mind again. Everything will go back to the way it was, and noone will ever pick up on not trusting stark.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
:/

Thanks both.

This sounds kinda dumb honestly.

I thought it was pretty fantastic. Imo, a plot line in itself is neither smart or dumb. It's all about execution, and as usual, Hickman pulled it off fantastically.

Hero

A group of evil Avengers came to 616 from a world destroyed by an Incursion. One of them, Thorr, left behind a Mjolnir that could only be wielded if the owner be unworthy and since 616 Thor is now unworthy as of Original Sin he gets to use said hammer and all the powers that come with it.

Wow, that is just....dumb. Wow.

SRG01

What issue did Thor pick up the unworthy hammer?

He didn't pick it up persay. Thorr left it behind and it just appeared again on Thor's back.

How it actually got onto Thor's back without the transformation sequence is another question altogether.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Doesn't that mean that anyone can pick up Thorr's hammer?

maybe.... we won't know until they finally tell us wtf made Thor unworthy. Unworthy could mean a specific deed only thor or his alter earth counterparts are capable of.

I might be remembering this wrong but wasn't the title of the book cover Old Man Thor found his grand daughters reading titled unworthy?

Top Bottom