• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

They needed Steve for his Time gem.

We all saw what they did when that didn't work.

Going from what's in the wiki, the way the gems were split up was tony, ever the imbecile, wishing them out of existence, then PSYKE, gotcha, and divvying them up among the asshats.

Either way, the illumi-bros were more than content to add people that could carry their own weight, as seen by when they accepted Banner. Heck, they were more than glad to keep people that *couldn't* carry their weight around, as seen by them not mindwiping McCoy after the gems shattered.

There was never a good reason to refuse adding Nick to the roster. Or at least trying to add.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Going from what's in the wiki, the way the gems were split up was tony, ever the imbecile, wishing them out of existence, then PSYKE, gotcha, and divvying them up among the asshats.

Either way, the illumi-bros were more than content to add people that could carry their own weight, as seen by when they accepted Banner. Heck, they were more than glad to keep people that *couldn't* carry their weight around, as seen by them not mindwiping McCoy after the gems shattered.

There was never a good reason to refuse adding Nick to the roster. Or at least trying to add.

McCoy's one of the smarter dudes in MU and they needed all the brains they could get, plus he's got a time machine. Never know when one of those might come in handy.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I could have sworn I remember hearing something about how the negative zone was multiversal, but I might be misremembering

I think Hickman introduced that, so it may yet be important. The Ultimate U had the N-Zone though and I'm fairly sure some old Exiles universes had a Negative Zone, but that probably doesn't matter anymore.

McCoy's one of the smarter dudes in MU and they needed all the brains they could get, plus he's got a time machine. Never know when one of those might come in handy.

Any time machine not created by Victor is useless for everything but kidnapping innocent teenagers.

Which is the one thing Hank is good at.

Dalek

Any time machine not created by Victor is useless for everything but kidnapping innocent teenagers.

Which is the one thing Hank is good at.

You know I think Bendis dropped an opportunity to bring back Professor X in the recent issues with Eva Bell. It would be a symmetrical end to the story to bring the young professor X to the future along with the original 5.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with those 5. Obviously I think Jean grey is permanent. But having duplicates of each character seems like a dangling plot thread. Do we really need 2 Bobby Drakes?

According to Mahvel wiki, someone at some time fixed Bendis's abortion of an excuse for a time travel plot, and those xmengs arent the original 616 teens. Their earth is TNwhatever.

So yeah, he couldnt.

Plus seriously, the less time-travel related plot shenanigans, the better.

Bobby is like the x-men's peter parker, so nah. Unless they actually make him grow old and not in an Xtreeeeemmmm way.

According to Mahvel wiki, someone at some time fixed Bendis's abortion of an excuse for a time travel plot, and those xmengs arent the original 616 teens. Their earth is TNwhatever.

So yeah, he couldnt.

Plus seriously, the less time-travel related plot shenanigans, the better.

Bobby is like the x-men's peter parker, so nah. Unless they actually make him grow old and not in an Xtreeeeemmmm way.

But they've shown altering the young version of them puts the old version at risk. How could that have been undone?

But they've shown altering the young version of them puts the old version at risk. How could that have been undone?

Was Bendis writing that ish? If he was, then ignore that bit, because that man has no fucking idea whatsoever about what he's doing, nor does he seem to care.

That's literally how you solve that problem.

Anyway, relevant link.

Ah, TRN is temporary reality number. unofficial and just the wiki guys praying that someone fixes that shit one day

Was Bendis writing that ish? If he was, then ignore that bit, because that man has no fucking idea whatsoever about what he's doing, nor does he seem to care.

Anyway, relevant link.

Ah, TRN is temporary reality number. unofficial and just the wiki guys praying that someone fixes that shit one day

I can't remember the issue number, so I have no idea.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Anyway, relevant link.

Yeah, that seems like wishful thinking more than anything. It's a real shame that X-men is in the state that it's in at the moment. I've lost interest in reading it since Battle of the Atom.

It's a good thing Avengers has been absolutely fantastic.

Goldrush

Anyway, relevant link.

Being an optimist, I guess, but it seems like Bendis had a plan for broken time that was separated from and was superseded by Secret Wars. For a while now, I think he's in a holding pattern until the event is over.

PsychBat!

Banned
Avengers_44_Tony_Harris.jpg
New_Avengers_33_Tony_Harris.jpg
Avengers #44 and New Avengers #33 variants.

kswiston

Being an optimist, I guess, but it seems like Bendis had a plan for broken time that was separated from and was superseded by Secret Wars. For a while now, I think he's in a holding pattern until the event is over.

Isn't Bendis off X-Men in 2 months? Unless he plans on wrapping things up in the 4-5 issues he has left, it will probably just be another half-assed payoff to a story that went nowhere for years, which would be par for the course with him.

Dunbar

What's going to be going on with Avengers and New Avengers when Secret Wars is being published?
They will both have their final issues published before Secret Wars starts. I think New Avengers ends April 22 and Avengers April 29. Secret Wars #1 is out the week after that.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it's weird. He's been doing a Beast broke time and space story...but when you look at Hickman's stuff that really doesn't fit as the cause of the Incursions. It's extra muddled because of his Age of Ultron ending resulting in Wolverine breaking things.

Sadist

Black Widow too.

Wait a minute.

image.php

Guess who's banned from the Secret Wars OT?

Nobody, cause I can't do that.
Thanos will return some day.

But New Avengers is like grade A awesome faces material. Give Odinson some time to shine man.

Seriously :( I'm keeping my tradition of extremely quotable avatars.

Thanos will return some day.

But New Avengers is like grade A awesome faces material. Give Odinson some time to shine man.

Seriously :( I'm keeping my tradition of extremely quotable avatars.

I don't even know who you are anymore(literally I didn't recognize you until this post), you dropped the brass ring.

kswiston

All of you who have been here for like a decade, and have had more than one Avatar in that time, are dirty face-changers to me.

For the last several years, at least I have been keeping some variation of Phoney Bone as my avatar. Sure, his clothes change sometimes, but it is still Phoncible P. Bone in the end.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I used to change a lot, but I've had this Batman av a while now. Don't really feel like changing, even if a Captain America one is tempting.

Avengers 42. Ok, then. Some really cool stuff in there, but the huge epic parts felt rushed almost. But, glad to see
them bring Sol's Hammer back into it. And I am trying to remember the rogue planet stuff that they are pulling out now.

I didn't view this one as a payoff issue, more like one last breath before that final stretch.

I think things are just gravitating towards everything being resolved in these last two issues. Given the momentum they've gained, shit is going to be epic.

IIRC, both NA 33 and Avengers 44 will be giant sized.

After last week's New Avengers with the gorgeous art and all the stuff that happened, this one was a bit disappointing.

But hey, at least "one was death" was explained.

Mudcrab

After last week's New Avengers with the gorgeous art and all the stuff that happened, this one was a bit disappointing.

But hey, at least "one was death" was explained.

Others are right this feels like a breather issue, giving us a break from hyped reveals and epic deaths to set up what's going to be a crazy last two issues.
Also I liked the way Hickman defined the differences between the way Reed and Tony's minds work. That was a nice touch.

Afrodium

Banned
Does anyone else think what The Avengers did in this issue was selfish as fuck?

At this point they know their planet is doomed. They clearly have some plan to salvage what they can, so why couldn't someone have gone up to the Shi'ar and explained to them that they were working on a solution? Rocket Racoon gave them ample warning for them to attempt a peaceful solution, but instead they just let them attack and retaliated with a strike that killed a bunch of Shi'ar soldiers. Obviously whatever plan they have with Sol's Hammer and the rogue planet is could be implemented right away, so someone couldn't have asked Gladiator for a few more hours? Maybe a bunch of Shi'ar blood and space debris is necessary for whatever they're doing.

Does anyone else think what The Avengers did in this issue was selfish as fuck?

Consider:

As far as the aliens know, 1) incursions are infinite and 2) when you do fail one, the whole universe will be wiped out. Given that, the only logical choice is to destroy earth. There is no explanation or choice that could ever hope to suffice against infinity.

Heck, Gladiator was arrogant as fuck. Shouldn't have ever given Earth 2 hours, shoulda just dropped the nukes without warning. What is a planet against the whole of reality?

So no, explaining to the shi'ar wasn't a valid choice. Shiar acted stupid. Earth acted in self-defense.

J10

Banned
Consider:

As far as the aliens know, 1) incursions are infinite and 2) when you do fail one, the whole universe will be wiped out. Given that, the only logical choice is to destroy earth. There is no explanation or choice that could ever hope to suffice against infinity.

Heck, Gladiator was arrogant as fuck. Shouldn't have ever given Earth 2 hours, shoulda just dropped the nukes without warning. What is a planet against the whole of reality?

So no, explaining to the shi'ar wasn't a valid choice. Shiar acted stupid. Earth acted in self-defense.

Just to add to that: Keep in mind that the whole premise of this story is that there aren't any good choices left for them to make anymore. Gladiator giving them the warning was a nice gesture, but it was a stupid move. He could have saved the universe. It's the same kind of mistake the Illuminati had been making up until Namor pulled that first trigger. The situation is impossible from every angle.

thetrin

I still think the incursions were caused by (spoilers for Fantastic Four #605.1)
Nazi Reed losing control of the Infinity Gauntlet.
I could be wildly wrong, but after rereading Hickman's Fantastic Four, it made me think. In addition,
the place he forms the council of Reeds also looked similar to a Black Swan library. I wonder if that's related...

I still think the incursions were caused by (spoilers for Fantastic Four #605.1)
Nazi Reed losing control of the Infinity Gauntlet.
I could be wildly wrong, but after rereading Hickman's Fantastic Four, it made me think. In addition,
the place he forms the council of Reeds also looked similar to a Black Swan library. I wonder if that's related...

Time to go back and read that issue again and see that.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Just to add to that: Keep in mind that the whole premise of this story is that there aren't any good choices left for them to make anymore. Gladiator giving them the warning was a nice gesture, but it was a stupid move. He could have saved the universe. It's the same kind of mistake the Illuminati had been making up until Namor pulled that first trigger. The situation is impossible from every angle.

Actually he couldn't the incursions are just the quick end.... from what I understand stars are slowly dying around the universe

With that said it was great to see Tony in action. Its kind of weird that everybody ignores the fact his behavior is due to AXIS and that he likely needs help.

Top Bottom