• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

My eyesight is not what it used to be. Which characters are you spotting?

My eyes might be deceiving me, but is that Hyperion on the right hand side?

Okay, one person there is not dead: Strange is there but he's supposed to be with Rabum Alal. And Starbrand and Hyperion died in battle against the Ivory Kings.

We don't know what happened to Strange. The other two though should be dead meat.

PsychBat!

Banned
2 things:

1) Would you guys rather the Secret Wars OT goes up on FCBD when Secret Wars #0 comes out (May 2) or with the release of SW1 (May 6)?
Release of SW1. I'm about to start making some design ideas for the OT. If anyone has seen the World Cup OT last year, I want it to be as big as that.

Sadist

So before the finale hits;

What was your favourite New Avenger moment?

I'm totally going for the "and then they kiss" scene with Thanos and Terrax. That stuff is absolutely insane.

PsychBat!

Banned
My favorite part WAS the Terrax "kiss" scene until the Hyperion/Thor moment. Most of the scenes involving the Illuminati were great.

Namor's and Hyperion's arcs were the best things about A/N.A., but it's an embarrassment of riches, really. you got Steve's timetravel, everything related to Ex Nihilo and Abyss, the "i have pie" moment with Quang Tsi, on top of several DOOM TOO GOOD moments.

Plus Reed and half the iluminati trying to get into black swan's pants.

Mudcrab

Definitely Steve's time jumping. I loved every interaction he had with Planet Ultron, Franklin and the three Kangs.

Doom's entire arc is a very close second. Starting from oblivious to the lynchpin of the apocalypse is something amazing even for Victor.

Oh and I can't forget about the whole Great Society thing, one of Doctor Strange's greatest moments.

This run man. This run.

Sadist

I'm not that familiar with FF (did read Hickman's run) but why is Doom so nice and "cool uncle Vic" towards Valeria? I laughed during that particular thing.

Mudcrab

I'm not that familiar with FF (did read Hickman's run) but why is Doom so nice and "cool uncle Vic" towards Valeria? I laughed during that particular thing.

Sue was having complications during Val's birth and Reed was unavailable. Doom helped deliver her with the condition that he would choose her name. He named her after a woman he once knew and put Val under his royal protection. Of course, he still tried to use her against the FF but that's a story that should be read.

Also, as shown with his relationship with Strange, Victor has no problems whatsoever with dealing with people of great talent or potential. He just has good reasons to think that Reed and several other Great Intellects are a bunch of useless dicks that are often in way over their head.

Valeria tends to agree.
-
Heck, before hudlin went all racist doom, this is how they used to interact
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Sue was having complications during Val's birth and Reed was unavailable. Doom helped deliver her with the condition that he would choose her name. He named her after a woman he once knew and put Val under his royal protection. Of course, he still tried to use her against the FF but that's a story that should be read.
And it is so much cooler when you realize that Reed has to spend the rest if his life with a reminder that Doom was there for Sue when he couldn't be. Even when he isn't there, Doom is essentially rubbing it in Reed's face with how awesome he is.

And it is so much cooler when you realize that Reed has to spend the rest if his life with a reminder that Doom was there for Sue when he couldn't be. Even when he isn't there, Doom is essentially rubbing it in Reed's face with how awesome he is.

He's been doing that for years with Ben Grimm. Victor can cure him. Reed can't.

Weird bit there is that Strange can also probably cure Grimm, and yet...

So before the finale hits;

What was your favourite New Avenger moment?

I'm totally going for the "and then they kiss" scene with Thanos and Terrax. That stuff is absolutely insane.
Hyperion and Thor, God Bros at the end of time and space, fighting off an impossibly large number of omnipotent beings. Bonus points for not giving a fuck about their missing arm and eye.

Rereading through everything, I'm in the middle of time runs out, and I had totally missed that theme of Thor and Hyperion drinking together:
- in the Hyperion centric issue in the Savage Land, they discuss drinking and Hyperion is all like "I don't need to drinking, I'm totally straight edge".
- later in Avengers, during Infinity IIRC, Thor offer Hyperion to drink and he's all like "okay, brother".
- when Time Runs Out begins, they've started their awesome Godbeard club and are drinking together in the Savage Land, watching the kids and discussing how they're the only ones who can do what they will have to do.
- facing a legion of Beyonders, "we drank it all, brother".

There are so many good things about this run, but so far, this is the highlight for me. I'm still hoping for a "twenty seven minutes" moment like the one in FF, where everything came together, a 4 in flames was drawn in the sky, Doom fought mad Celestials on the bridge and adult Franklin bellowed "to me, my Galactus" (which still sounds ridiculously awesome).

kswiston

Doom swings between being Marvel's version of Bat-God, and (when someone like Bendis is writing him) a member of Gamersgate who happens to have their own sovereignty.

So... is Steve back to his younger self or something? Otherwise that pic doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

Then again, superior stark uses liquid metal for a suit, so what-evs.

Sandfox

So... is Steve back to his younger self or something? Otherwise that pic doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

Then again, superior stark uses liquid metal for a suit, so what-evs.

Tony made that suit for him a super long time ago back when he previously had issues with the SSS. They brought it back after he became old.

Top Bottom