• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

I wonder if Spider-Verse will at least hint at the incursions happening.

unlikely. that's too much nonsense to throw into everything else that's going on.
I like what they're doing with spiderverse, though this last issue wasn't the strongest.

Seems like SOMETHING big is coming though. With the exception of the ultimate universe marvel is wiping out parallel worlds right and left. Uncanny Avengers just eliminated six of them,
supreme power
being wiped out in a throwaway panel is just another one on the pile, and apparently "no one is safe" in spiderverse, so we may see some prominent alternate spider men bite the dust.

Does Spider-Man appear in this series at all?

spider man is going to be very busy with his own stuff 8 months from now

Slayven

What if this is not the 616 avengers in this book? But we are following another earth, one so close that minor differences was unnoticeable? Like Sharon Ventura was a redhead instead strawberry blonde. And at the end they are destroyed stopping the incursions and the only proof of their existence was a blip on Pym and Reed's sensors?

kswiston

dunno. I've always been in favor of Doom as #1, if for no other reason than Reed is totally useless when it comes to magic and victor isn't.

edit: Doom has mad thinker on his squad in NA #24 though, and that guy is no slouch. questionable whether Doom could have done it all on his own.

Considering some characters like Wiccan rank pretty high in the magic world without being especially intelligent, I don't think there is a strong correlation there. Some of it is study, but a lot of it seems to rely on talent.

I also wouldn't be so sure that the Illuminati are as in the dark as you suggest. Black Panther, Reed Richards, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, Amadeus Cho, Beast, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, Iron Man (though he might be out of the Illuminati at that point), and Captain Britain make for a pretty formidable group. Who knows what they have been up to.

Considering some characters like Wiccan rank pretty high in the magic world without being especially intelligent, I don't think there is a strong correlation there. Some of it is study, but a lot of it seems to rely on talent.

Doom is confirmed to be "sorcerer supreme" candidate level in terms of his magic skill, on top of being one of the top 5 or so scientists on the planet. that does give him some extra points.

I also wouldn't be so sure that the Illuminati are as in the dark as you suggest. Black Panther, Reed Richards, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, Amadeus Cho, Beast, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, Iron Man (though he might be out of the Illuminati at that point), and Captain Britain make for a pretty formidable group. Who knows what they have been up to.

After the timeskip? they're clueless.

They're on the run from SHIELD AND Susan Richards, so we can assume they have no access to any of the Avengers Tech, Shield's Tech, or anything in the baxter building. Tony stark has gone missing and no one knows where he is. Amadeus Cho was trying to steal information so they would have access to SOME of Tony's knowledge, but that plan has gone tits up.

Wakanda has been blown to smithereens and was a graveyard sometime before Avengers 24.
so BP has no tech, and no backup.

The mapmakers gained most of their information by skipping through the multiverse during incursions and gathering data. We also know that the Cabal have been the ones involved in the incursions and the illuminati are nowhere near them.

The illuminati are in no position to know much of anything. No money, no resources, no permanent bases. The only thing they have to contribute is raw intellect- and it appears Doom has that one taken care of with a team of scientists and the mad thinker. Why team up?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They've also got a better learning curve than any of the other Illuminati groups that Black Swan has encountered so far. Maximus straight up told her off for underestimating them before he let her go and The Cabal formed.

kswiston

After the timeskip? they're clueless.

They're on the run from SHIELD AND Susan Richards, so we can assume they have no access to any of the Avengers Tech, Shield's Tech, or anything in the baxter building. Tony stark has gone missing and no one knows where he is. Amadeus Cho was trying to steal information so they would have access to SOME of Tony's knowledge, but that plan has gone tits up.

Wakanda has been blown to smithereens and was a graveyard sometime before Avengers 24.
so BP has no tech, and no backup.

The mapmakers gained most of their information by skipping through the multiverse during incursions and gathering data. We also know that the Cabal have been the ones involved in the incursions and the illuminati are nowhere near them.

The illuminati are in no position to know much of anything. No money, no resources, no permanent bases.

Even if that is currently the case. This is still their book. Hickman's Doom was pretty balanced in his Fantastic Four run. I doubt very much if he lets Doom wrap up everything with a neat bow solo in this.

Even if that is currently the case. This is still their book. Hickman's Doom was pretty balanced in his Fantastic Four run. I doubt very much if he lets Doom wrap up everything with a neat bow solo in this.

Oh, something is going to happen- doom will run into something he didn't anticipate and his hubris will do him in, as usual.

I don't see him willingly teaming up with Richards and crew though. I think the resolution of this is going to be another massive "company wide" crossover like infinity, where everyone is all in from the Xmen on up to the GOTG. It won't be just the illuminati riding in to save things at the last minute with a great idea.

Keep in mind that outside of the incursions, time is still broken thanks to age of ultron, and there have been references to the universe "wanting to die" independently of the incursions. Something else is going on here.

Dalek

I wonder if Doom is satisfied with being master of not only just science and magic-does he dabble in other skills? Cooking? A musical instrument?

JJD

Lol, I just finished reading New Avengers 24 and came to GAF looking for the comic thread to say how much I love this comic and just found this thread! :)

New Avengers is the best book Marvel is publishing right now, and frankly the best book in the stands IMO!

Great job Hickman!

Slayven

Oh, something is going to happen- doom will run into something he didn't anticipate and his hubris will do him in, as usual.

I don't see him willingly teaming up with Richards and crew though. I think the resolution of this is going to be another massive "company wide" crossover like infinity, where everyone is all in from the Xmen on up to the GOTG. It won't be just the illuminati riding in to save things at the last minute with a great idea.

Keep in mind that outside of the incursions, time is still broken thanks to age of ultron, and there have been references to the universe "wanting to die" independently of the incursions. Something else is going on here.

Sounds like a crisis among an infinite number of earths.

kswiston

Lol, I just finished reading New Avengers 24 and came to GAF looking for the comic thread to say how much I love this comic and just found this thread! :)

New Avengers is the best book Marvel is publishing right now, and frankly the best book in the stands IMO!

Great job Hickman!

New Avengers 24 is possibly the best issue of that entire series. I was really impressed with the quality of both Hickman books this month. The past year of Avengers and New Avengers has been a slow boil, but stuff is going down now.

I wonder if Doom is satisfied with being master of not only just science and magic-does he dabble in other skills? Cooking? A musical instrument?

modeling

Capture_zps78092bb2.jpg

Slayven

what a silly idea

Been a bit of a flashpoint on comic messageboards, will it be Hickman's Zerohour or the story of the Millennium? To me it just been one big Panic in the Sky. All we can say right now is there will be a lot of Legends of Dead Earths,

Slayven

I thought 616 terrax was killed in the opening of AvX? When kid-nova is off warning planets about the phoenix.

He was also killed by Galactus, and Sentry, dude is like that sand in your clothes from the beach, you can never get rid of him.

Ok, caught up.

On Wakanda being sacrificed. Makes perfect sense, since, as Tchalla's own father tried to make his failure of a son understand, Wakanda itself had turned its back on people it could help many times during its history. No surprise that other nations would do exactly the same bloody thing to it.

On Tchalla. Fucksake, mate. Your father and whole generations of black panthers flat-out tells you what it means to be a king, and then Namor has to bear your fucking cross because you can't be arsed to imperius rex properly. Good arc.

On Valeria. Ye gods, I love how Valeria is basically a "how the fuck could you screw up this bad, dad?" plot device. Doom saying the bit about children in latveria needing a good night of sleep was just cherry.

On Victor. Was quite impressed by it. While the Illuminati went all "no, it's cool, we got dis", Victor went "fuck that, i'm getting all the help i can get to analyze this bloody thing", and thus we see scores of scientists and another mirror.

On Stephen. I really wanna see what he'll end up doing with that chekov's gun of a black priest helmet.

PsychBat!

Banned
I thought 616 terrax was killed in the opening of AvX? When kid-nova is off warning planets about the phoenix.
Different Terrax. He's Terrax, the Truly Enlightened, he was captured by the Illuminati when they experienced their 3rd incursion.

Doom is confirmed to be "sorcerer supreme" candidate level in terms of his magic skill, on top of being one of the top 5 or so scientists on the planet. that does give him some extra points.

I remember in Waid's FF Dr. Strange says that Doom isn't nearly on his level as far as magic goes. Has this been retconned?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not caught up on this, but these series' leading into Axis is one of the more interesting events I've seen in a while.

well, sentry>molecule man

so its just franklin vs sentry

nah. MM is better by orders of magnitude. All that shit he pulled in secret wars? still canon.

Sentry only managed to kill him because MM was breaking down and out of his mind at the time.

I remember in Waid's FF Dr. Strange says that Doom isn't nearly on his level as far as magic goes. Has this been retconned?

Strange is the top dog, but hilariously inconsistent when it comes to how strong he is. There are a few people better than Doom is in the magic department (morgan le fay is also better), but he's still pretty high up there.

kswiston

I'm not caught up on this, but these series' leading into Axis is one of the more interesting events I've seen in a while.

Axis is a speed bump growing out of Uncanny Avengers which has been pretty standalone until now. The entire event is over in 3 months. I'm fairly confident that the majority of what is going on in Uncanny Avengers is going to end in a time travel retcon. It's not like Remender hasn't done just that in the past.

IrishNinja

i keep forgetting about the AoU thing, does any of the uncanny avengers stuff (celestials' revenge, kang's rise, etc) tie in here?

Sounds like a crisis among an infinite number of earths.

...why

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
nah. MM is better by orders of magnitude. All that shit he pulled in secret wars? still canon.

Sentry only managed to kill him because MM was breaking down and out of his mind at the time.

quite true, but to be fair, sentry has been out of his mind before, and since really.

which makes me wonder if theres any version of bob/void that is really fucking shit up, and not just slowly making the earth burn

As Manmademan said, then there is also that Triumph and Torment thing (which is still canon, afaik), where Victor can come very close to copying any magic that he sees another sorcerer cast almost instantly, and it aint a stretch to assume that he'll perfect the copy whenever he has some down time.

So yeah, while victor aint as magic savvy as he is tech savvy, dude is cray high tier. Thing is, he readily admits when a magic user is superior to him. Or used to, anyway. I remember him respecting strange and having mad respect for morgane.

Praise Namor???! It's Namor's fault that the Cabal is what it is. The whole thing backfired in his face more than Reed not asking Doom for help.
And now since the Cabal is running loose like that, Namor goes to ask Doom for help like the little wimp he is. Even Doom noticed that he was less than a man.

Namor is fucked.
Reed not asking for help would have resulted in two universes being destroyed. No matter how it went down Namor's plan was the better of two options.

Praise Namor???! It's Namor's fault that the Cabal is what it is. The whole thing backfired in his face more than Reed not asking Doom for help.
And now since the Cabal is running loose like that, Namor goes to ask Doom for help like the little wimp he is. Even Doom noticed that he was less than a man.

Namor is fucked.

It's no worse to what Black Panther did. Black Panther's actions led to Namor making a desperate move to save the 616 universe, leading to the birth of The Cabal 2.0. And its all thanks to Black Panther. This is the only comic I've come close to reading which includes The Black Panther apart from Civil War where he joined forces with Cpt. America. I've read how people praise Black Panther for whatever reason which I can't remember. And as for Namor he had always been difficult to judge since his decisions can be sometimes questionable or ambiguous although when he decides something he sticks with it or until he's fed up(Cyclops recruiting Namor).

Also, Namor's actions kept the 616 universe alive for a while, thus buying enough time for Doom to find the culprit. Where as Black Panther doomed the 616 universe temporarily. The Illuminati should have never kept to themselves in the first place, for them to name themselves as the smartest beings that earth has to offer(Or whoever called themselves that), the dumbest thing they did was to not seek help. I'm viewing Reed, Stark, Banner and Black Bolt the same level as Black Panther. I wonder what would Shuri would have done? I really want to see the Avengers kicking The Illuminati's teeth in

I think crying and begging for help is entirely different and BP did the crying part pretty well, I almost welled up myself T_T

http://i.imgur.com/4fAs6BH.gif[IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Its not Namor's fault entirely. I'd put my finger with the whole Illuminati thing

Since when did Doom became a sort-of-a neutral character?

Mudcrab

Namor should got back to being a CEO, he is a terrible superhero, and a worse supervillian.

What do you expect from a person who goes from saying "I am the greatest man I know" to sobbing in Doom's castle? At this point getting murdered by BP would be a mercy.

What do you expect from a person who goes from saying "I am the greatest man I know" to sobbing in Doom's castle? At this point getting murdered by BP would be a mercy.

Now now, current namor may be pathetic, but he still had the balls to do what needed doing at the time. Tchalla just bawled his eyes out.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Now now, current namor may be pathetic, but he still had the balls to do what needed doing at the time. Tchalla just bawled his eyes out.

and now hes once again groveling like the little bitch he is. all that big boasting about doing what needed to be done..now the cabal is doing what needs to be done too apparently. like doom said, he should have come to him first. hell they all should have branched out instead of trying to solo it.

IrishNinja

man...king or not, none of his ancestors had to bear the weight of what he was being asked to do - and multiple times, it would've looked like. cut challa some slack.

Yea but then Namor made the dumbest move in the entire series so far: forming The Cabal.

true but there needs to be something big & bad enough to unite everyone against to wrap all this up, whenever that happens - and #TeamThanos is pretty much ideal for that, so Namor played his part i guess

PsychBat!

Banned
true but there needs to be something big & bad enough to unite everyone against to wrap all this up, whenever that happens - and #TeamThanos is pretty much ideal for that, so Namor played his part i guess
Letting Thanos live in any part of the universe is a big mistake.

Top Bottom