• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

man...king or not, none of his ancestors had to bear the weight of what he was being asked to do - and multiple times, it would've looked like. cut challa some slack.

Kill six billion people every x days (if the mapmakers or builders dont get to them first) until the bigbad is handled vs snuff two universes out of existence, killing unknown trillions due to your inaction.

Much choice. Wow.

Namor fucked up when he assembled a group that 1) is far above his power level and 2) has no reason whatsoever to stay on 616.

All the rest? Ok. Those two? Unforgivable.

Dude still saved the universe with his actions, tho, so even with his bawling he's well above the rest of the team, save for stephen.

Hey Thanos, where's that kid of ours anyway? Didn't he become a lawyer?

Nope. Killed him a while back.

PsychBat!

Banned
Kill six billion people every x days (if the mapmakers or builders dont get to them first) until the bigbad is handled vs snuff two universes out of existence, killing unknown trillions due to your inaction.

Much choice. Wow.

Namor fucked up when he assembled a group that 1) is far above his power level and 2) has no reason whatsoever to stay on 616.

All the rest? Ok. Those two? Unforgivable.

Dude still saved the universe with his actions, tho, so even with his bawling he's well above the rest of the team, save for stephen.
He saved the universe for the time being but it didn't even matter in the next few minutes. Now he is a broken man with regret and is like the rest of the Illuminati. He's enabling the actions of some of the most dangerous beings in the universe. Thanos alone is above and beyond the Avenger's level. I'm glad to see that this Cabal is backfiring in Namor's face and not just because he killed a world, Namor's reckoning has been coming for a long time.

He saved the universe for the time being but it didn't even matter in the next few minutes. Now he is a broken man with regret and is like the rest of the Illuminati. He's enabling the actions of some of the most dangerous beings in the universe. Thanos alone is above and beyond the Avenger's level. I'm glad to see that this Cabal is backfiring in Namor's face and not just because he killed a world, Namor's reckoning has been coming for a long time.

i dunno man, he still hasn't been disowned by his entire filial lineage.

He saved the universe for the time being but it didn't even matter in the next few minutes.

We know that it mattered from the time the illumibros decided to suicide pact aaaall the way to whatever point in the future NA 24 is. Saying that it did not matter because "lol new incursion soon guys" is selling it short.

Plus we all know that the proper solution to the problem would be transporting humanity to Planet Doom/ Franklin's nega-earth and blowing up the planet, which is almost exactly what the builders told them to do.

Namor's reckoning will most likely never completely come, btw. People have been waiting for it for what, 75 years by now. There's probably some internal marvel rule set in place by Lee and Everett that says the character must always be an asshat.

But seriously why would your first choice to form a new Cabal be fucking Thanos of all people? There is no scenario where letting Thanos free doesn't end in you getting fucked over in the worst possible way.

How was Doom not the 1st person Namor went to? Or any other super smart villain?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But seriously why would your first choice to form a new Cabal be fucking Thanos of all people? There is no scenario where letting Thanos free doesn't end in you getting fucked over in the worst possible way.

How was Doom not the 1st person Namor went to? Or any other super smart villain?

Doom should have been choice #1 for Namor. I get why Reed wouldn't go to him, I think even Doom would get that. Namor has no excuse though, he should have gone to Doom.

PsychBat!

Banned

I'm guessing that Namor went back to Necropolis and found that Thanos was free. Convenience.

Mudcrab

Thanos has the power set, the tech, the henchmen, and the right attitude for destroying an endless supply of worlds and their heroes.

Doom is just as unpredictable, also has a high chance of fucking you over, and worst of all to Namor, has the ability to shatter your pride. There's a difference between loosing a wild beast and groveling to another king.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanos has the power set, the tech, the henchmen, and the right attitude for destroying an endless supply of worlds and their heroes.

Doom is just as unpredictable, also has a high chance of fucking you over, and worst of all to Namor, has the ability to shatter your pride. There's a difference between loosing a wild beast and groveling to another king.

And yet he wound up groveling anyway. Like a little bitch.

PsychBat!

Banned
What kind of bugs me is that Hickman writes Thanos as a savage beast that has a calm demeanor, while Starlin writes him the same way but also as a cunning genius. I don't see much of that in Hickman's Thanos. Is it too subtle? I think it's just me.

Mudcrab

What kind of bugs me is that Hickman writes Thanos as a savage beast that has a calm demeanor, while Starlin writes him the same way but also as a cunning genius. I don't see much of that in Hickman's Thanos. Is it too subtle?

Hence, The Mad Titan. In Starlin's last book he acknowledges the difference and has Thanos directly compare that with Adam Warlock and how sometimes he too has his personality shift wildly.

No matter who is writing though, Thanos loves his murder.

4fex5P1.jpg

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

Bill Everett is rolling over in his grave after this run........

holy shit at that last panel ....can't believe he's back...fuckin Doom, always bet on Doom.

Doom will fuck you over, but he'll do it while trying to make the planet a better place under his rule. Thanos will kill you, everyone you know, and then destroy your entire planet for the lulz.

I'd much rather be fucked over by Doom than Thanos, but yeah Namor has his dumb pride.(which he ended throwing away anyway)

What kind of bugs me is that Hickman writes Thanos as a savage beast that has a calm demeanor, while Starlin writes him the same way but also as a cunning genius. I don't see much of that in Hickman's Thanos. Is it too subtle? I think it's just me.

it was more apparent in infinity i felt.

i do hope marvel just waste the ultimate uinverse. they have an out for miles in spider-verse

Dalek

I just want to say I think it's great that we have a dedicated thread to this particular story arc. It's kind of hard to talk about these particular stories in the comics thread because it moves so quickly in there with so many varying topics. I kind of wish we had our own comics forum in addition to gaming and off topic so that we can have threads dedicated to these particular stories

PsychBat!

Banned
I fucking hate Sentry. I swear that Marvel has a hard on for him every time he shows up. Especially Bendis. Oh Molecule Man is the Dark Avenger's target this time, let's give Sentry ANOTHER power to stop MM as if he wasn't OP enough already.

/rant

I love that the Sentry's power is to be overpowered.

Marvel just never lets it go all the way, ever since I heard about the Plutonian it gets me mad that Marvel never let the Sentry be similar to that.

Holy shit!!!
This sounds absolutely bananas.

Please point me to collected editions where I can buy this.
Keep in mind that I'm not fond of buying singles and prefer everything nice and clear on trades or hardcovers.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Considering some characters like Wiccan rank pretty high in the magic world without being especially intelligent, I don't think there is a strong correlation there. Some of it is study, but a lot of it seems to rely on talent.

I also wouldn't be so sure that the Illuminati are as in the dark as you suggest. Black Panther, Reed Richards, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, Amadeus Cho, Beast, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, Iron Man (though he might be out of the Illuminati at that point), and Captain Britain make for a pretty formidable group. Who knows what they have been up to.

Wiccan might be talent because he may be a mutant, but Dr Strange was due to study and training so no, the topic is just different you have to have a brain to do the magic. Thor is asgardian they have an affinity for magic, and yet he cant pull a rabbit out of his hat , without mlonir he's like a 0 in magic. Loki and enchantress on the other hand are insanely gifted with magik.

Holy shit!!!
This sounds absolutely bananas.

Please point me to collected editions where I can buy this.
Keep in mind that I'm not fond of buying singles and prefer everything nice and clear on trades or hardcovers.

Avengers: Avengers World (Avengers Vol 5 #1-6)
Avengers: The Last White Event (Avengers #7-12)
New Avengers: Everything Dies (New Avengers Vol 3 #1-6)
Avengers: Infinity Prelude (Avengers #13-17)
Infinity: Nothing Lasts Forever (Free Comic Book Day 2013 Special, Infinity #1-6, Avengers #18-23, New Avengers #7-12 Infinity: Against the Tide #1-2 Reading order for singles here (image))
Avengers: Rogue Planet/Adapt or Die (Avengers #24.NOW-28)
New Avengers: Other Worlds (New Avengers #13.INH-17)
New Avengers: A Perfect World (New Avengers #18-23, collected edition not out yet)
Avengers: Infinite Avengers (Avengers #29-34, no collected edtion released yet)
Avengers: Time Runs Out Part One (Avengers #35, New Avengers #24, no collected edition released)

The Infinity tie-in issues are collected as Infinity: Avengers Universe and New Avengers: Infinity, they are included in both the US hardcover printing and the UK paperback editions

Avengers: Avengers World (Avengers Vol 5 #1-6)
Avengers: The Last White Event (Avengers #7-12)
New Avengers: Everything Dies (New Avengers Vol 3 #1-6)
Avengers: Infinity Prelude (Avengers #13-17)
Infinity: Nothing Lasts Forever (Free Comic Book Day 2013 Special, Infinity #1-6, Avengers #18-23, New Avengers #7-12 Infinity: Against the Tide #1-2 Reading order for singles here (image))
Avengers: Rogue Planet/Adapt or Die (Avengers #24.NOW-28)
New Avengers: Other Worlds (New Avengers #13.INH-17)
New Avengers: A Perfect World (New Avengers #18-23, collected edition not out yet)
Avengers: Infinite Avengers (Avengers #29-34, no collected edtion released yet)
Avengers: Time Runs Out Part One (Avengers #35, New Avengers #24, no collected edition released)

The Infinity tie-in issues are collected as Infinity: Avengers Universe and New Avengers: Infinity, they are included in both the US hardcover printing and the UK paperback editions
Thank you kind sir.
I'll track all this.

PsychBat!

Banned
I love that the Sentry's power is to be overpowered.

Marvel just never lets it go all the way, ever since I heard about the Plutonian it gets me mad that Marvel never let the Sentry be similar to that.
Only difference is that the Sentry is mentally unstable and isn't entirely aware of his actions. The Plutonian is insane too but that's because he's angry at the world.

This run actually sounds really interesting, even if it is a rip-off of Crisis. I just hope it ends up with a more permanent change to the status quo. You can't have Stark/Namor/Strange/Richards/Banner/T'Challa just waltz back into being heroes after all of the bullshit they've pulled.

Who am I kidding, all of this will be erased at some point.

Showaddy

Yeah... But isn't the story sooooo Bendis though?

I was so baffled by that comic, Bendis literally gives 0 fucks about previous stories as long as he gets to write his crap. Starlord not wanting to use the Cosmic Cube on Thanos when he already used it on him like a week earlier...Drax suddenly being alive after being atomized by Thanos...Starlord & Nova sounding exactly the same and talking like a couple of high school douchebags.

Mudcrab

This run actually sounds really interesting, even if it is a rip-off of Crisis. I just hope it ends up with a more permanent change to the status quo. You can't have Stark/Namor/Strange/Richards/Banner/T'Challa just waltz back into being heroes after all of the bullshit they've pulled.

You're seriously underestimating Hickman if you think this is as simple as ripping off Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

most of them have had their misdeeds flushed before. aint no thing for it to happen again

Maybe Namor still resented him for this:

w0K3W71.jpg

IrishNinja

Much choice. Wow.

yeah, hard utilitarianism in practice must be super easy, good point

i dunno man, he still hasn't been disowned by his entire filial lineage.

exactly..that shit was brutal

damn, wasn't even reading vanilla Avengers but off to go do that now

Mudcrab

I just want to say I think it's great that we have a dedicated thread to this particular story arc. It's kind of hard to talk about these particular stories in the comics thread because it moves so quickly in there with so many varying topics. I kind of wish we had our own comics forum in addition to gaming and off topic so that we can have threads dedicated to these particular stories

Glad to hear it. Wasn't sure if I was overstepping any bounds. The general comic thread is just that and I would feel bad constantly bringing up this series. Besides I think Hickman's work begs for a dedicated discussion thread, people need a place to endlessly argue over Namor and Black Panther.

PsychBat!

Banned
CBR: Hickman & Brevoort Take "Avengers" Eight Months Into the Future

I must admit, I'm sorry I put this book on the backburner for awhile. Adapt or Die was a fairly weak arc. I'm going to catch up over the weekend.

Finished reading it, I wonder how ambitious Hickman's "Time Runs Out" event is when compared to Remender's "Axis". I guess we'll find out next year.

And I agree that Adapt or Die was a weak arc, but at least we know how the Mapmakers were formed.

Mudcrab

Finished reading it, I wonder how ambitious Hickman's "Time Runs Out" event is when compared to Remender's "Axis". I guess we'll find out next year.

And I agree that Adapt or Die was a weak arc, but at least we know how the Mapmakers were formed.

It's how he operates, it was the same for his Fantastic Four run. Some arcs plod but it's all about the long game. This is a good excuse to post his first outline of his FF story:

esextdkj.jpg

Pretty much indecipherable but hey it turned out to be an amazing run.

Dalek

And for anyone that's read that FF run-it's godly. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. So unbelievably good. It's kind of like The Wire in as far as it ruins all other stories for you. Just like I can't watch any other Cop show now after the Wire, I can't read any FF story now after Hickman.

Look everyone knows my disdain for BP by now, and my love for Namor but i will say my piece and maybe you will think i'm crazy BUT:

all this going on? sounds like there's a bit of character assassination on Namor's part by the team. I'm getting flashbacks of Civil War Ironman and how he was the big logical BAD GUY against the emotionally justified anti-registration heroes. Breaking character to make it obvious who to cheer for. A proverbial painting of bad guy whiskers on his character to reminisce the old time bad guys who twirl their moustaches and rub their hands together.

Namor is the regal pride, the arrogance maximus. The idea that things bow down to you by mere presence. and in the real modern world, where kings are few and individuals who display their control in such gaudy fashion are often the target of ire. No longer needed.

So i understand why Namor is groveling and crying and asking for help. Cause that's how you make him have a weakness. Because he represents something that every liberal writer and artist despises. an alpha male.

Now onto BP, as i said i wasn't as fond of the character throughout the years. I've always considered him a gary stu. and let's be honest, he is. It's was always hard to give flaws to BP because, well, of the "implications". he's had ups and downs before, but he always got through nary a scratch. Never a Pyrrhic victory.

But this run has made warm up to BP because like Namor, he has been knocked off his pole of gary stuness in a unique manner. His kingdom taken from him by his sister. His people , whom alot of are inherently xenophobic and arrogant, never fully shared his views. His waifus have left him. He no longer can fall back on his lolmagic metal shenanigans. his entire lineage of ancestors told him to man the fuck up, and he failed the mantle of the BP. he got the boot out of the family tree LITERALLY.

BP is now a tragic story. he is utterly alone. And that, to me, finally makes him a viable character. Everyone in marvel has flaws. BP now has some that are tangible. Both him and Namor are being shaken to the core of their characters. And although i'm a bit iffy with the choices being made for Namor, BP as a character has definitely gotten some upgrades!

Sorry to bring up Anime, but i think of Fate Stay Night when i consider the kings of marvel. You have Alexander the great inviting King Arthur and GIlgamesh for a banquet of Kings.

After some discussions, Alexander and Gilgamesh deride Arthur for not behaving like a King. Someone who, by definition, is exceptional. Who should laugh the hardest. who should be the greediest. who should set the example for being EXTRAORDINARY.

Namor is Alexander, the exceptional. BP is Arthur, nothing but a figurehead. not a beacon for his people. I know we will eventually go to the status quo with Namor just like Tony. but i think BP will come out of this for the better. at least..i hope so.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Look everyone knows my disdain for BP by now, and my love for Namor but i will say my piece and maybe you will think i'm crazy BUT:

all this going on? sounds like there's a bit of character assassination on Namor's part by the team. I'm getting flashbacks of Civil War Ironman and how he was the big logical BAD GUY against the emotionally justified anti-registration heroes. Breaking character to make it obvious who to cheer for. A proverbial painting of bad guy whiskers on his character to reminisce the old time bad guys who twirl their moustaches and rub their hands together.

Namor is the regal pride, the arrogance maximus. The idea that things bow down to you by mere presence. and in the real modern world, where kings are few and individuals who display their control in such gaudy fashion are often the target of ire. No longer needed.

So i understand why Namor is groveling and crying and asking for help. Cause that's how you make him have a weakness. Because he represents something that every liberal writer and artist despises. an alpha male.

Now onto BP, as i said i wasn't as fond of the character throughout the years. I've always considered him a gary stu. and let's be honest, he is. It's was always hard to give flaws to BP because, well, of the "implications". he's had ups and downs before, but he always got through nary a scratch. Never a Pyrrhic victory.

But this run has made warm up to BP because like Namor, he has been knocked off his pole of gary stuness in a unique manner. His kingdom taken from him by his sister. His people , whom alot of are inherently xenophobic and arrogant, never fully shared his views. His waifus have left him. He no longer can fall back on his lolmagic metal shenanigans. his entire lineage of ancestors told him to man the fuck up, and he failed the mantle of the BP. he got the boot out of the family tree LITERALLY.

BP is now a tragic story. he is utterly alone. And that, to me, finally makes him a viable character. Everyone in marvel has flaws. BP now has some that are tangible. Both him and Namor are being shaken to the core of their characters. And although i'm a bit iffy with the choices being made for Namor, BP as a character has definitely gotten some upgrades!

Sorry to bring up Anime, but i think of Fate Stay Night when i consider the kings of marvel. You have Alexander the great inviting King Arthur and GIlgamesh for a banquet of Kings.

After some discussions, Alexander and Gilgamesh deride Arthur for not behaving like a King. Someone who, by definition, is exceptional. Who should laugh the hardest. who should be the greediest. who should set the example for being EXTRAORDINARY.

Namor is Alexander, the exceptional. BP is Arthur, nothing but a figurehead. not a beacon for his people. I know we will eventually go to the status quo with Namor just like Tony. but i think BP will come out of this for the better. at least..i hope so.

Yeah Namor is getting totally changed but the story is good so ...whatever , he's nothing like his former run though he was the dude that would never cheat or do shady shit, even up to Planet Hulk he and BP were the ones that said fuck no. Atlantis was full of shady assholes in his runs but he always was that easily manipulated guy because he was so straight forward and true. Now..well every hero is grey save for a select few. Its like the left overs from all hero's being ..extreme in the 90s. Past his run with Jae Lee he has been changed around. But when his creator Bill Everett did him along with others his run was pretty amazing then he got put into avengers in the 80's.

BP on the other hand already had flaws , he was over confident, to the point where doom had to beat that ass kidnap his wife and hobbled him. If your looking for T'Challa move foward by being brought down a peg i would suggest you check out his time replacing Dare Devil in hell's kitchen. T'challa has long since had come down off that high horse.

yeah, hard utilitarianism in practice must be super easy, good point

It's not even "hard utilitarianism".

Push the button and 6 billion people die. Don't push it and those 6 billion people die, plus another hundred trillion or so, and everything else in existence including you.

This isn't a choice at all. only idiots would agonize over this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
didn't they break two infinity gauntlets trying to stop the incursions? might be a bit past his pay grade.

Yep. An infinity gauntlet can stop one incursion.

It's not even "hard utilitarianism".

Push the button and 6 billion people die. Don't push it and those 6 billion people die, plus another hundred trillion or so, and everything else in existence including you.

This isn't a choice at all. only idiots would agonize over this.

Saying it is one thing. Doing it is another.

Top Bottom