• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Slayven

Because he's so useless he lost a popularity contest to Death's Head?

The proper question would be why not have him stop it?

Why not have Legion put them in a box?

1616529-prv7505_pg4b.jpg

Mudcrab

Don't get banned ya'll or you'll miss the party when Doom kills Rabum Alal.

or when Namor and BP kill each other.

Showaddy

Just remembered in Avengers World that Thanos is considered a hero and the greatest Avenger that ever lived by a load of aliens in the future.

Wonder if that ties into this event?

Don't get banned ya'll or you'll miss the party when Doom kills Rabum Alal.

I can't help thinking that name is some kind of red herring. Sounds arabic, but it can't be.

I did see some speculation around that it's some kind of alternate galactus that ALMOST got born in FF #600, which coincidentally was written by hickman.

91qBONP_zpsf2ebcb2e.png

That explanation almost works TOO well though.I didn't read the issue though so I don't have any other context with that scan.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't help thinking that name is some kind of red herring. Sounds arabic, but it can't be.

I did see some speculation around that it's some kind of alternate galactus that ALMOST got born in FF #600, which coincidentally was written by hickman.

91qBONP_zpsf2ebcb2e.png

That explanation almost works TOO well though.I didn't read the issue though so I don't have any other context with that scan.

If this is what's going on then everything is fucked. May as well sacrifice everything right now.

If this is what's going on then everything is fucked. May as well sacrifice everything right now.

It seems to fit. Same writer came up with the concept, and it wasn't that long ago (2011?) so it's not something long forgotten about.

The "everything dies...sooner" concept seems to fit exactly with what's going on in Avengers/New Avengers. one earth died "prematurely" before it was supposed to, setting off a chain reaction.

There's an explicit reference to that alt-galactus being "born" from a celestial seed, and Rabum Alal's "birth" was explicitly mentioned as the event that destroyed our alternate earth. How many beings are powerful enough to wipe out a planet outright? How many of them are Galactus? exactly.

i would say it's a slam dunk, if it wasn't a perfect fit. It's so good an explanation I'm tempted to discard it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It seems to fit. Same writer came up with the concept, and it wasn't that long ago (2011?) so it's not something long forgotten about.

The "everything dies...sooner" concept seems to fit exactly with what's going on in Avengers/New Avengers. one earth died "prematurely" before it was supposed to, setting off a chain reaction.

There's an explicit reference to that alt-galactus being "born" from a celestial seed, and Rabum Alal's "birth" was explicitly mentioned as the event that destroyed our alternate earth. How many beings are powerful enough to wipe out a planet outright? How many of them are Galactus? exactly.

i would say it's a slam dunk, if it wasn't a perfect fit. It's so good an explanation I'm tempted to discard it.

I don't think many people would make that connection though. I haven't seen anyone notice it until just now. It may be a red herring, or it may just be the answer. Either way it's a damn clever bit of writing.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
they should get a league of all the classic characters' kids. those little twerps tend to come out OP.

its gonna be mostly summers and richards kids. with the occasional summers/richards mix. and mayday to mix it up

Parallax

i'm assuming liked means "killed". No, nick fury is nowhere near strong enough to kill the living tribunal. That thing isn't even "alive" as we understand it, the abstracts all use M-bodies.

Already exists.

nextA_zps2308517a.png

ugh. no thanks. thats not even the 2nd best panther kid

Mxrz

Been following it since the first issue. Took a while, but I am loving how batshit crazy its going with the cosmic stuff. A few high points.

Comic book morality getting exposed. With the situation given, Namor is the only character standing up. Well, and Dr. Strange, but get the feeling that is more him going crazy. No matter what, 616 lives on because of Namor and Namor alone. (Well. Dr. Strange killing the JL helped.) The Illuminati claimed the entire problem for themselves, and then lacked the balls to carry on. Good stuff. Ironman, Reed, and BP looking pretty shallow.

Look everyone knows my disdain for BP by now, and my love for Namor but i will say my piece and maybe you will think i'm crazy BUT:

I agree with most of this. BP has a large, very vocal fanbase on the Internet and since AvX its been aimed at Namor. Seen it ruin other forums. Annoying stuff. I don't know if I'd call it character assassination, as a Namor fan I like how he's the one that stuck to his ideals over hiding behind morality. No matter what, they puts him ahead of the rest of the Illuminati members.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. Regardless of how it turns out, Namor saved the world when the others wouldn't. No amount of BP tears can undo that. Even Thanos is technically saving the world with murder. And Doom will likely have to clean it all up.

Parallax

I agree with most of this. BP has a large, very vocal fanbase on the Internet and since AvX its been aimed at Namor. Seen it ruin other forums. Annoying stuff. I don't know if I'd call it character assassination, as a Namor fan I like how he's the one that stuck to his ideals over hiding behind morality. No matter what, they puts him ahead of the rest of the Illuminati members.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. Regardless of how it turns out, Namor saved the world when the others wouldn't. No amount of BP tears can undo that. Even Thanos is technically saving the world with murder. And Doom will likely have to clean it all up.

namors proven not to have any problems killing masses of people. a world was second nature. he cant even fake morality

Parallax

You know, part of me thinks the Black Priests may just be Stranges from multiple universes who have just given up and want to end it all.

so how many fucked up groups of heroes have we seen so far if thats true? xaviers and richards? anyone else

kswiston

You know, part of me thinks the Black Priests may just be Stranges from multiple universes who have just given up and want to end it all.

I would have to go back and reread past NA issues, but wasn't Strange the only one of the Illuminati that Black Swan was outwardly hostile towards? It might be for a reason.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning that those things are not technically alive at all- just some kind of construct or gestalt being. Don't remember who it was though.

kswiston

I vaguely remember someone mentioning that those things are not technically alive at all- just some kind of construct or gestalt being. Don't remember who it was though.

We don't know who the Ebon King is yet. With the way these parallel universes work, it could be someone familiar.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Well, who knows what the dark magic Strange has started using will do. He did say there are consequences.

Mxrz

Well. The world and everyone in it wasn't going to die if he didn't kill Attuma. This is the plot their now in. Kill worlds or let your world and every one in it die. Blooding his own hands to save those under him is keeping with his themes in my opinion. He's always been more about being a protector/defender (har har) than a hero.

Parallax

This is what im talking about, when did Namor become that? He wouldn't even kill Attuma , now this, such a change.

dont know, laying waste to a country is random as shit.

Well. The world and everyone in it wasn't going to die if he didn't kill Attuma. This is the plot their now in. Kill worlds or let your world and every one in it die. Blooding his own hands to save those under him is keeping with his themes in my opinion. He's always been more about being a protector/defender (har har) than a hero.

he flooded a whole country, had no remorse in doing so, and then went to gloat about it. there was no reason to do any of that

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

you had to do it, though the illuminati is almost the defenders sans the Silver Surfer. Namor has been both protector and hero imho but thats because i have so many old issues from peoples collections. This NA arch is crazy good but it is a departure for T'Challa, Namor, 616 Reed...after he had his kids...and met the council of Reed's, and Beast. The rest of those dudes well we saw what they did in other meetings and with planet hulk.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
dont know, laying waste to a country is random as shit.

he flooded a whole country, had no remorse in doing so, and then went to gloat about it. there was no reason to do any of that

I do , and thats another recent departure but wasn't he under the influence of the phoenix when that happened , Cyke killed Prof X, and Colossus beat down spider man when under the Phoenix's power so....I dont know if that counts.

Parallax

I do , and thats another recent departure but wasn't he under the influence of the phoenix when that happened , Cyke killed Prof X, and Colossus beat down spider man when under the Phoenix's power so....I dont know if that counts.

the phoenix doesnt make you do things you dont want to do, it just amplifies the desire to do so. thats why they all seem to take responsibility for their actions.

PsychBat!

Banned
I can't wait to see an Ivory or Ebony King. All we've seen are Black Swans, Black Priests and Mapmakers which are just evolved Super Adaptoids designed for multiversal exploration.
Does that being on the lower left look like Thanos? The outfit looks similar.

Top Bottom