• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

I'll probably need to read all of this run again.

Is there a chart somewhere that classifies the builders, mapmakers and all the others that Hickman made?

The last New Avengers arc was so damn amazing
UOf2qA2.jpg

PM86zFj.jpg

q7R6xbL.jpg

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I think Stephen Strange will end up being one of the big bads.

Well he has the Ebon priests helmet.... So I think in the end we learn the Ebon Kings are just evil illuminati groups (maybe hunted on their world's to the point they said fuck it and wwent to a world of their own to protect their home planets?) And Strange is just their priest.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well he has the Ebon priests helmet.... So I think in the end we learn the Ebon Kings are just evil illuminati groups (maybe hunted on their world's to the point they said fuck it and wwent to a world of their own to protect their home planets?) And Strange is just their priest.

Considering how messed up time is in between worlds, remember that the incursion that brought the fake JL to their beat down happened in their universe before it did in the 616, Strange himself could very well give birth to them. Avengers already showed us what the mapmakers are and it does seem like the cause may be related to the 616 universe.

Dat smug Namor face. Love it.

You should see his groveling face in the most recent issue.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Considering how messed up time is in between worlds, remember that the incursion that brought the fake JL to their beat down happened in their universe before it did in the 616, Strange himself could very well give birth to them. Avengers already showed us what the mapmakers are and it does seem like the cause may be related to the 616 universe.

If it leads to the 616 I would be impressed cause I hadn't thought of that. It's crazy how long this storyline has gone on and how few answers to Wtf is going on have been given.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If it leads to the 616 I would be impressed cause I hadn't thought of that. It's crazy how long this storyline has gone on and how few answers to Wtf is going on have been given.

Well in Avengers we got a big hint that the mapmakers are just those robots that AIM made but fucked up. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the other big guns are also from the 616 or related to it in some way. With the way time flows between universes it's entirely possible. We can't rule shit out.

Sadist

That's the second thing I love about the guy!

Doom pls, I need your help man. Cabal is crazy as fuck, they're getting high on killing. Doom, I made a huge mistake. His face when Doom tells him he's no man's second choice is priceless. Doom's son being all casual when he thanks Namor for coming to dinner is pretty funny as well.

That's the second thing I love about the guy!

Doom pls, I need your help man. Cabal is crazy as fuck, they're getting high on killing. Doom, I made a huge mistake. His face when Doom tells him he's no man's second choice is priceless. Doom's son being all casual when he thanks Namor for coming to dinner is pretty funny as well.

There should never be killing. That should be nice and clear. Why are people so fucking thick? Fuck all the code talk and just don't kill. How stupid can assholes be?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Cool thread. I'm really really enjoying this run. It's perhaps a bit too heady at times but damn the payoffs are massive when they arrive. Anyone enjoying this who has not read Hickman's Fantastic Four run needs to get on that ASAP.

Pity the non-regular readers trying to figure out the reading order for this bad boy though. But to be fair, I doubt most non-regular comics readers would be able to follow it anyway, it's so dense. I however, am a pig in shit.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Been following it since the first issue. Took a while, but I am loving how batshit crazy its going with the cosmic stuff. A few high points.

Comic book morality getting exposed. With the situation given, Namor is the only character standing up. Well, and Dr. Strange, but get the feeling that is more him going crazy. No matter what, 616 lives on because of Namor and Namor alone. (Well. Dr. Strange killing the JL helped.) The Illuminati claimed the entire problem for themselves, and then lacked the balls to carry on. Good stuff. Ironman, Reed, and BP looking pretty shallow.

I agree with most of this. BP has a large, very vocal fanbase on the Internet and since AvX its been aimed at Namor. Seen it ruin other forums. Annoying stuff. I don't know if I'd call it character assassination, as a Namor fan I like how he's the one that stuck to his ideals over hiding behind morality. No matter what, they puts him ahead of the rest of the Illuminati members.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. Regardless of how it turns out, Namor saved the world when the others wouldn't. No amount of BP tears can undo that. Even Thanos is technically saving the world with murder. And Doom will likely have to clean it all up.

Namor has been a total fucking boss as long as Hickman's been writing him. Recently the series has been giving me major Game of Thrones vibes - this is a story about kings and their special morality. Namor is a strong, single minded king. Panther is a king without a kingdom and he's struggling with his human morality vs the king morality (LOVED those issues with the ghosts).

I love that this story isn't about supervillains and things, it's about morals and interpersonal drama. And Cap being wrong.

Sadist

Well Cap isn't wrong; I'd say he's naive above all other things. Cap being Cap. He wants to save everyone, but even in this case you can't save the other worlds.

I can't help thinking that name is some kind of red herring. Sounds arabic, but it can't be.

I did see some speculation around that it's some kind of alternate galactus that ALMOST got born in FF #600, which coincidentally was written by hickman.

91qBONP_zpsf2ebcb2e.png

That explanation almost works TOO well though.I didn't read the issue though so I don't have any other context with that scan.
Woah. I've been thinking for a while that Rabum Alal was either going to be Galactus or a version of Stark (Avengers #1 calling him death) but that "Everything would end sooner" quote is pretty blatant.

Using a massive flood to nearly destroy Wakanda isn't something Namor can walk away from and expect no retaliation.

Priorities. In the face of a pan-cosmic threat, Namor can reasonably expect retaliation to be postponed in favor of more important things. Which was exactly his line of reasoning with Tchalla. To which Reed agreed and told him to get the fucking peace accord done already. Which is where we're once again back to blaming Tchalla for failing to convince Shuri to agree to peace.

Even their nazi father understood that the target of their wrath was Namor, not Atlantis. Collective punishment is bad mmkay? Then again, Shuri remembers what happened the last time she tried to solo the fishman.

End of the day, and as far as we know, it sure as heck didn't work out well for wakanda either. But hey, at least they got to attack Atlantis.

You probably misread that bit. Reed explains that the Mirror is capable of looking at almost any time into the past, but only a couple of hours into the future due to quantum. When they saw the incursion happening in nega-jla earth, tchalla states that the machine was seeing into that couple of hours window the future. They happened simultaneously.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
the phoenix doesnt make you do things you dont want to do, it just amplifies the desire to do so. thats why they all seem to take responsibility for their actions.

Jean Grey wanted to eat planets? An alien planet she had never been to before? The Phoenix did all that shit another recent retcon, being in Jean allowed the guardian of the m'krann crystal feel volition and emotion and it tried them both, the beings immense power is what made it so fucking dangerous to be bonded with anyone mortal that had free will and morals because they weren't consistent. Even Galactus told off the phoenix for this post being linked with Jean Grey. The guardian of the crystal is supposed to be just that, because you know, thats the actual relic of power, not the phoenix...oh wait another convenient change. Jean ultimately died because she knew the Phoenix with ANY MORTAL BEING was too dangerous and the way to release it was to kill its avatar.

So yeah its still all recent changes to character , AvX was what 2 years ago , the other 60+ years of Sub Mariner in his own stories, marvel presents, The Defenders, Avengers and FF4 say that Namor has definitely been drastically changed, even if he did ultimately buy time for Doom to do his work.

Jean Grey wanted to eat planets? An alien planet she had never been to before? The Phoenix did all that shit another recent retcon, being in Jean allowed the guardian of the m'krann crystal feel volition and emotion and it tried them both, the beings immense power is what made it so fucking dangerous to be bonded with anyone mortal that had free will and morals because they weren't consistent. Even Galactus told off the phoenix for this post being linked with Jean Grey. The guardian of the crystal is supposed to be just that, because you know, thats the actual relic of power, not the phoenix...oh wait another convenient change. Jean ultimately died because she knew the Phoenix with ANY MORTAL BEING was too dangerous and the way to release it was to kill its avatar.

So yeah its still all recent changes to character , AvX was what 2 years ago , the other 60+ years of Sub Mariner in his own stories, marvel presents, The Defenders, Avengers and FF4 say that Namor has definitely been drastically changed, even if he did ultimately buy time for Doom to do his work.

Some people eat ice cream when they're emotional, maybe some people eat planets.
i'm clearly joking

Averon

LoL. What the hell did Namor expect would happen?

"Well, let's see. How about I gather the worst murderous psychopaths my universe produced and let them go on a genocidal killing spree across the multi-verse with no accountability."

"What? They actually like the killing? They can't be controlled? How could this happen!!!"

"Well, let's see. How about I gather the worst murderous psychopaths my universe produced and let them go on a genocidal killing spree across the multi-verse with no accountability."

"What? They actually like the killing? They can't be controlled? How could this happen!!!"

haha

Namor, plz.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I like it because I think Namor felt he was one of them. And then was surprised to learn that he wasn't. Which is kinda positive for the character, really. I hope that he has an about face, tries to save the day and then just when he's about to T'Challa comes up behind and snaps his neck.

Averon

I like it because I think Namor felt he was one of them. And then was surprised to learn that he wasn't. Which is kinda positive for the character, really. I hope that he has an about face, tries to save the day and then just when he's about to T'Challa comes up behind and snaps his neck.

Yeah. There's too much bad blood between Namor and BP. I see one of them killing the other before all is said and done. Either than or Namor making some sacrifice to try to make up for what he's done.

Mxrz

Yeah, the Ghosts telling Panther he had a responsibility to do this stuff, and then Namor being the one that did it stood out. Then again, the Ghosts didn't exactly come off in a good light either a page ahead with the "Y u no kill nao!!!" bit.

Much as I like the story overall, there's some bits that seem a bit fruity. Mainly the Illuminati building these bombs, fending off incursions, and then losing their shit cause one of them was used to save their families. Its hard not to see them as being sort of stupid. Namor immediately going with Thantos and company seemed like a hiccup too. Namor and Doom always had their monarch bromance going.. Going farther back, letting the Illuminati mindwipe Cap was another one. Mostly chalked it up to Comics! but still.

Yeah, the Ghosts telling Panther he had a responsibility to do this stuff, and then Namor being the one that did it stood out. Then again, the Ghosts didn't exactly come off in a good light either a page ahead with the "Y u no kill nao!!!" bit.

That would've probably been better if it had come after the atlantean saved their asses. Bad enough that Tchalla didn't kill him, now he and wakanda owe him their continued existence because, unlike the panther, the trout understands what is required of a king? Ethering would've been even harsher.

The illuminati is just...odd, tho. Kidnapping terrax, putting thanos in the same room as the other two, not throwing that popsicle into another dimension once they noticed corvus growing inside it... it's just... dumb.

Obv the continued existence bit wont mean a whole lot given the cabal, but still, at the time.

Mudcrab

The illuminati is just...odd, tho. Kidnapping terrax, putting thanos in the same room as the other two, not throwing that popsicle into another dimension once they noticed corvus growing inside it... it's just... dumb.

It goes along with the theme of the responsibility and unique morality of kings. They've placed themselves above all other men and their actions are beyond questioning. The Illuminati operate under the assumption that because they're the smartest men in the room (born better as Doom says) all of their choices must obviously be correct, never to be doubted until it blows up in their face. They thought they could control Maximus. They thought they could make use of Black Swan and alternate Terrax. They thought they could forever contain Thanos.

Also, what if the Illuminati are on the run not because they blew up a world, but because the world found out they decided solely amongst themselves that it would be better for everything to die then tell the world the truth or do the hard thing?

OmegaRed

So, I'm going to get Marvel Unlimited just for this. Should I just read the Reading List in the OP or the reading list below?

Will I miss anything if I just read the list in the OP?

Avengers: Avengers World (Avengers Vol 5 #1-6)
Avengers: The Last White Event (Avengers #7-12)
New Avengers: Everything Dies (New Avengers Vol 3 #1-6)
Avengers: Infinity Prelude (Avengers #13-17)
Infinity: Nothing Lasts Forever (Free Comic Book Day 2013 Special, Infinity #1-6, Avengers #18-23, New Avengers #7-12 Infinity: Against the Tide #1-2 Reading order for singles here (image))
Avengers: Rogue Planet/Adapt or Die (Avengers #24.NOW-28)
New Avengers: Other Worlds (New Avengers #13.INH-17)
New Avengers: A Perfect World (New Avengers #18-23, collected edition not out yet)
Avengers: Infinite Avengers (Avengers #29-34, no collected edtion released yet)
Avengers: Time Runs Out Part One (Avengers #35, New Avengers #24, no collected edition released)

The Infinity tie-in issues are collected as Infinity: Avengers Universe and New Avengers: Infinity, they are included in both the US hardcover printing and the UK paperback editions.

I'd recommend reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run first.

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-5
Fantastic Four #570-588
FF #1-11
Fantastic Four #600-605
FF #12-16
Fantastic Four #605.1, 606-611
FF #17-23

But Hickman's incursion story is contained across Avengers, New Avengers and Infinity.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's interesting that the cosmic powers haven't gotten involved yet. I imagine Eternity & Infinity might have something to say about their universe getting wiped out.

Maybe ironman can put his "engineer supreme" title to work.

an engineer is sort of an architect. and the big bads are "builders"

Top Bottom