• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

I met a companion in the second..umm...section(?) and stuck with him/her for the lot - at least, until
the bit where we both fell down dead - I was alone in the afterlife... is that normal or did we get separated somehow?
You got separated. I played through this twice and my co-op partner was there with me both times.

MercuryLS

Banned
Just finished it for the first time. In my top 5 greatest games of all time. Easily.

My mind was:

mind-blown_thumb.gif

Many times.

Just amazing, it also helped that I had a fantastic partner to go through the journey with. It was really fantastic going through the final area with him.

11/10

Ra1den

Finished my second playthrough. It was EVEN BETTER this time. Never lost my partner this time, played all the way through with the same person. No words...just total awe at the experience. People that are claiming that multiple playthroughs wont have the same magic are way off base.

I noticed once I got near the end that I'd had a huge smile plastered on my face the entire time, totally unconsciously. Like my jaw was locked in a massive smile for the last two hours. It's just...pure joy. If there is such a thing as true art, this is it.

Kaldea

I noticed once I got near the end that I'd had a huge smile plastered on my face the entire time, totally unconsciously. Like my jaw was locked in a massive smile for the last two hours. It's just...pure joy. If there is such a thing as true art, this is it.

This was me through the whole game. All four times so far. <3

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'll keep it honest and say that on my first playthrough near the end where
you are "revived" and get shot up into that beautiful flying stretch, I literally gasped and shed a few tears of joy. Knowing that I was alive and my fellow traveler was right there beside me, gliding in the air while singing/chirping was damn emotional for me in that instant. And I was completely awe-struck in the beauty of it all.

This game. I still keep recollecting little moments here and there about my playthroughs so far; keeps me busy at work lol.

Vodh

I just got this game some 6 hours ago, and the first playthrough was simply breathtaking. I had really high expectations of this game, and it met them all perfectly. I met 10 people during my first playthrough and for a relatively long part of the game I thought they were AI's, just didn't think people would actually behave this way... The whole game made me think of The Fountain by Darren Aronofsky, invoked very similar feelings.

After the first playthrough
I ran around collecting missing signs, met an awesome white robe companion who showed me the flower and all the signs in that chapter, then I just wanted to test out my new white robe so I went to the desert chapter to run around, and met another companion. Decided to return the favour to another stranger, showed him the flower and the signs and... just kind of ended up playing through the whole Journey with him. It was amazing! Perfect strangers, no way to communicate except for the long and short chirping, and we understood each other better than in any other game. When we reached the second windy area, the winds on the top of the mountain when you have to stand against the barriers on the cliff swept him down (in the spot where there are no barriers anymore) and I had no idea if he got pushed back or what happened, so I panicked a little, ran back to meet up with him and let him know that I'm waiting, but I didn't see him... When I came back to the windy spot I noticed a tiny silhouette ahead - he climbed back up and waited for me on the other side of the gap right after the area where the wind stops blowing, this is where you climb back if you get swept down. I knew he wasn't just going to log off, and he knew that I'm not going to leave him behind so even though I was around the corner, he still waited. Then we struggled to the top, passed out, and revived by the white people reached the summit chirping like mad men whenever we lost sight of each other. And I thought the first playthrough was awesome... And about the ending, I think the moral is that what's important and trully beautiful is the journey itself, when the journey ends you take a moment to celebrate and begin your new journey. That's what I like to see in this story anyways.

Best £10 game I've ever played, I'm never going to forget this journey. And about the length, I think it was just perfect. As to the gameplay, it was really good in the first playthrough, and
the white robe is exactly what the gameplay needs to stay amazing and bring its own share of joy to the table.

jyoung188

Just played through it for the first time in one sitting.

Mind fucking blown.

Definitely one of the most memorable gaming experiences ever.

JWong

Banned
I wonder if they'll let me pay them for $1000 worth of game codes so I can give them out to friends who haven't bought the game.

Danielsan

A good night's sleep to let it all sink in, and I'm now certain that this is officially replacing Shadow of the Colossus as my favourite game of all time.

It saddens me to see the "length issue" getting brought up again. It allows most people to finish it in one sitting and experience its progression of emotions in a single session. It makes the barrier of entry for a revisit near non-existing. And leaves you wanting for more, as opposed to having boredom set in. But most important of all, because I think that the concept game length=value needs to die out. For me, 2 hours of Journey offered me more value than 40 hours of Skyrim and Skyward Sword combined. I would have happily spent €60 on this game.

Oreoleo

Okay I'll probably never play this game (No PS3.. game looks sweet though), but I just had to post and say that's basically the best OP I've ever seen on GAF. Way to commit :D

Yup, pretty much forgot about sixaxis right after they introduced it

Anyway, amazing game. As beautiful as Flower. Already looking forward to their next game, looks like thatgamecompany will never stop seeing my money

Just finished. Wow. The first level started off slow, I didn't know wtf I was doing but somewhere along the line, about the 3rd or 4th level, everything all fell into place for me. I mean, I knew what to do but I just wasn't feeling it through the first few levels but then it all clicked. And some of the moments in this game, all I can say is WOW.

There is no other medium that could convey what this game does. None. Nicely done TGC.

Socreges

Banned
So I started the game last night and felt like this:
KuGsj.gif

This game looks phenomenal. How long is it exactly? Don't really care, but I'm curious.

Been debating on getting a PS3 as a Blu-ray player and for a few games, but decided I'd best not spend the money. Funny that a little game like this has me rethinking the decision.

Socreges said:
This game looks phenomenal. How long is it exactly? Don't really care, but I'm curious.

Been debating on getting a PS3 as a Blu-ray player and for a few games, but decided I'd best not spend the money. Funny that a little game like this has me rethinking the decision.
It took me about 2 hours, I'd say. But man, what a 2 hours. I don't think i can replay it right away but there is definitely a lot of stuff I missed.

I don't know if this game is worth buying a PS3 for (though there are quite a few reasons I could name) but this is one of those seminal games I think everyone should play at least once. Instead of required reading, this is required gaming. This seems like an important game to me. One of those titles we'll be talking about for years. I'm glad I have that firsthand knowledge so I can be an active participant in that conversation.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I had an amazing Journey with someone, probably my best yet... and this was my fifth playthrough! We danced and sang all the way until the end, where I lost them. They weren't even there at the beginning of the last level. I was so disappointed. I waited for a long time, but they never showed up. The rest of the journey was amazing though, so thank you vik182USA.

At one point we
danced and sang our way across above the heads of those last two snake monsters in the underground.
I can't imagine what experience would top that!

Socreges

Banned
It took me about 2 hours, I'd say. But man, what a 2 hours. I don't think i can replay it right away but there is definitely a lot of stuff I missed.

I don't know if this game is worth buying a PS3 for (though there are quite a few reasons I could name) but this is one of those seminal games I think everyone should play at least once. Instead of required reading, this is required gaming. This seems like an important game to me. One of those titles we'll be talking about for years, and I'm glad I have that firsthand knowledge so I can be an active participant in those conversations.
God no. I've got my own reasons to buy a PS3, like I said (Blu-ray and a few games), and I nearly did a few days ago. What I'm saying is that Journey is now added to those reasons and could push me over the edge just because it does seem like "required gaming". 2 hours is awfully short, though, even if it's worth playing multiple times.

Maybe I'll try and borrow a friend's PS3 instead, even if only for a couple days.

Wow,
going up the waterfalls.
Pure joy. I'll probably leave it for a few days (busy with school anyways), but it's gonna be fun finding all the secrets.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Messaged the guy I played with and got a reply :D There is something really amazing about being able to go through all of that together and then later connecting with that person and having these shared experiences, even though they are still a complete stranger.

Mikeside

Just beat the game. Wish they would have kept my companion's names on screen long enough for me to type out...

I thought this was a really amazing experience. As the follow-up to Flower, I was expecting something just as laid-back yet satisfying, but it went above and beyond that. While Flower was a completely solitary experience, the co-op in Journey added that significant bit of something that made it so rewarding, and not having any kind of direct communication was a big part of that.
My companions got attacked twice by the flying snake thing and I honestly felt distressed seeing them thrown around like that.
Those moments and the emotions they bring out are what sets this game apart.

And the ending, holy shit. Definitely going to make it on my GotY list this year.

I got attacked twice by the snake...

What's your PSN name?

Chuckie

Did my first journey yesterday. It was absolutely breathtaking. Superb!

I have one question, because I started it up for a second time (I'll spoiler this to be sure)

In the first level (or second) there was like a temple I could go in and that lead to the huuuge tower) Is this a shortcut or something? Has it always been there or was it because I played it a second time?

colinp

Banned
Thank you eofernandes, whoever you are! You were a great companion for a first play through. Sorry we couldn't get you to jump back up to grab that symbol... Really enjoyed matching walking speed as we walked through the end. So glad we were able to stick together the entire time.

What a beautiful game.

Also, the dynamic theme is pretty lame, especially after the gorgeous flower one (which I have been using since I got my PS3). Really hope they make a real Journey dynamic theme..

Sera O

Banned
I just finished playing this for the first time. I went in completely blind, and having kept myself from reading anything about it. It was just amazing.

I spent the first area alone and met up with my companion after a little while. At first I wasn't aware that was actually another player but it dawned on me after a couple of bouts of chirping at each other and waiting when having trouble getting up to higher areas. I thought it was interesting to feel this definite bond even with such limited communication, just from chirping and sliding through sand together.

All in all I thought the entire experience was beautiful and I feel kind of choked up now that it's over. The minimalist approach, the atmosphere, the sound/music, the environments and the companion parts fit together so amazingly well in one package to make you feel so vulnerable and small in the vastness you are moving through.

I haven't played Flower so I should probably check that out next.

Shining

I'm at a loss for words. Such a fantastic experience! I shed a tear finishing it with a person i met at the very beginning of the game and i could tell he/she were as moved by it as i was. One of the best gaming experiences i ever had! Pure love!

One word - masterpiece.

Thought some were going a bit mad over this game as I saw the earlt impressions popping up, but no, it's pretty phenomenal in every way.

Sony really should consider picking up thatgamecompany, they've really added some quality indie titles to the ps3 catalogue since launch.

dangrib

Just finished up my first playthrough.

Absolutely incredible. Certain points in the game just had me in awe. The companionship i put together with a couple of people was unbelievable. The mechanics and the environment is just anti-troll.

I have to say we need more games like this. Not ever going to hit that quality every time but the setting and purpose of the journey was so refreshing.

Danielsan

One word - masterpiece.

Thought some were going a bit mad over this game as I saw the earlt impressions popping up, but no, it's pretty phenomenal in every way.

Sony really should consider picking up thatgamecompany, they've really added some quality indie titles to the ps3 catalogue since launch.
Sony would have picked them up if they could. But thatgamecompany wishes to stay an independent developer. On the one hand it's a shame, because I think Sony is the perfect match for them and they've been working very closely with many of the Sony first party teams if the credits are any indication. On the other hand I hope they will be able to reach an even bigger audience.

I do have to give kudos to Sony for how much effort they've put behind promoting the game. From Journey timeline covers on their Facebook, pre-release Journey playing events, the PS+ week early deal to giant custom Journey wallpaper on the Playstation store as well as many other promotional inserts on the playstation network and store. Really happy to see them put this much weight behind this masterpiece of gaming.

Give thatgamecompany whatever funds they are using to make David Cage's next abomination a reality, hire someone who actually wants to make a game and we might have a legit competitor for pushing an entire art-form forward.

Because, despite all of its shortcomings, Journey was fucking amazing, as a thing you can play somewhat.

Morue

Finished it in one sitting. Took me 2 hours and a half. Beautiful game. Looking forward to my next playthrough.

Met 8 fellow travelers along the way. Going to try to stick with the same person next time.

Anyway, that was a unique, wonderful experience, and the music is gorgeous.

But damn, those giant snakes are mean!! Got hit twice by them and my poor scarf didn't make it :(

Wow. This game is becoming quite the Gaf darling. Was this how the Flower thread was?

Someone needs to direct Dat Game Company to this thread to bathe in the praise of warmed hearts that were once cold.

...and also meet the needs of a scarf, hoodie, and vitagameport

Mikeside

I can't even begin to fathom how good this game would look on DAT OLED SCREEN.

That would be absolutely sexual...

I'm really torn on this - I absolutely love this game, so I really want more - maybe different journeys with different locations etc etc, but on the other hand I think it would be so easy to accidentally dilute the experience and ruin it...

Absolutely, without a doubt this has gone from "this looks interesting I guess" to what will certainly be my GOTY

Endo Punk

To be honest I thought Journey was bad, like really bad. I was expecting a
really good experience but it has nothing on Flower. TGC messed up big time
or maybe SSM pushed them to go mainstream, in which case they suck! Also
laughable how much praise it's getting in this thread. Are you guys serious or
lying to youself because you wasted money on this one hour dull experience ?

Why don't you tell everyone why you thought it was so terrible?

ScOULaris

I can't help but feel bad for the people who thought it would be a good idea to play their first time through the game solo (signed off of PSN). The way that the co-op coalesces throughout the entire experience, with the two of you discovering new things together and finding creative ways to communicate is really what makes this game special, IMO. Playing through the game alone would have much less impact, I would think, and it would be a shame for one's first playthrough to have been so solitary.

I'd be interested in playing it solo now, since I've already finished the game, but I'm really glad that I chose to play it as intended my first time through.

Chopper

I want a
white robe
. Do I have to get all the glyphs? Are any particularly difficult to find? How can I tell where the missing ones are?

I fucking love this game. Just finished my second playthrough.

nofi

You completed it in an hour? Good job.

Danielsan

Pretty sure that if you just use the right stick to work your camera it overrides the six axis and you'll never even notice that it was there.
Yup. I hit immediately hit the right thumb stick as soon as I got control of the game and never noticed the six axis support ever again.

Oh my Jesus Christ.

I downloaded Journey and thought "oh OK, I'll give it a quick bash before bed - see if I like it"

Now, hours later,
I've gone through the entirety of it

I met a companion in the second..umm...section(?) and stuck with him/her for the lot - at least, until
the bit where we both fell down dead - I was alone in the afterlife... is that normal or did we get separated somehow?

:(
I had my companion wait for me there so we could fly up together and it was BEAUTIFUL, the highest point of the game

Hehe, subtle.

One thing that you can say about thatgamecompany is they name their games perfectly.

Journey is well and truely a journey and a half. A fantastic experience that really does need to be experienced. Unlike so many other games that try hard to put you into the game world and into the character and fail, here tgc do it spot on. You feel you are one with the avatar and existing in the world.

The presentation (bar the online t+c words splattered on the screen at the start), graphics, music and gameplay are all magnificent and as they take you on the journey throughout.

It's super short though sadly and I'm not feeling any replayability. I'll go through it again, but I think the first experience is always going to be the best for me.

I did have one bad experience with it however, on my second go. I got stuck on a one of those
magic carpets
and had to quit the game. Couldn't get off it.

Top Bottom