• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Leunam

Just finished my first playthrough. Wonderful little experience. I stress the experience part, because it's more about that than it is about being a game. Not that it's a bad thing, of course.

Grisby

So I started the game last night and felt like this:

And I beat it just a few minutes ago:
And I'm a bit conflicted. I enjoyed it for the most part but man is it super short. I understand that it was probably a good idea so you and another player could finish in one sitting. However, from a gameplay perspective I would have liked so more puzzles or something. I enjoyed the flying/gliding mechanics so much that I wish there was something else they could have done with them.

Still, this is really an experience like no other. Everything from the music to animations fits together really well. And it was just fun flying through the dessert. I finished the game with a person and that last shot of you two walking through was pretty good.

I'm still digesting the whole thing. The end made me feel like someone had saw the Fountain for the first time and translated it into a game. Well, at least the ending.

How this game handles the length of your "tail" when using chapter select is stupid. I need a glowing symbol in the
sand boarding
chapter but it doesn't look like I can unless I start from the beginning. And there's a huge chance that I'll miss it. :(

Kud Dukan

Just curious, how many companions did everyone have listed by the time they were done? I ended up playing through the game with just a single partner, but I'm wondering how common that was.

XOMTOR

I'll be honest, game seems a bit boring to play and too short for $15. Might wait till it hits $10.

I had similar reservations but I'm glad I picked it up. Already made 2 full playthroughs and one where I'm trying to find the collectibles. The game may be short but most will play through it multiple times. I was surprised that my second time was more rewarding and I also picked up the story/meaning better. Had a single partner the whole time as well but lost him at the very end :-(

It really is designed to be played all at once so the length is great. Second time I really had to wiz but I held out cause I really didn't want to lose my partner. Don't think I've ever done that for a game before.

How this game handles the length of your "tail" when using chapter select is stupid. I need a glowing symbol in the
sand boarding
chapters but it doesn't look like I can unless I start from the beginning. And there's a huge chance that I'll miss it. :(

You know that you can hold the analog stick down during the sand surfing to slow down right? It helps with the gates too.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just curious, how many companions did everyone have listed by the time they were done? I ended up playing through the game with just a single partner, but I'm wondering how common that was.
My first playthrough I had around 4 I think. My second playthrough I had 2; but the first one left very early on and I was traveling with my 2nd companion the majority of the journey. He was pretty kick ass and showed me all the secret stuff. Single partner might be somewhat rare for now.

Zomba13

So I've played a bit, I like exploring and trying to find the thingies that make your scarf longer. The game is fucking beautiful. Like wow. And the sand!
The part where (think this is 4th area? or something)
where it's like you are under water with the fabric like seaweed and jelly fish is beautiful, and the snake/eel robot things, so scary.

I love that you play with other people and only communicate through the singing/chime. It's a bit annoying when I was with one guy and wanted him to get this glowy thing, his scarf was really short. I was really trying to get his attention but he just carried on :(

I just had an awesome experience. When attempting the
sand boarding
chapter again, I noticed my companion had a long tail, so I thought "this guy knows what's up." So I mediated thinking he would know to do it to (for the trophy), but he seemed a bit flustered like he didn't know how to meditate. Finally he sat and stayed for the whole 20 secs. As soon as the trophy popped up we both got up and started to spam the sing button. So awesome.

You know that you can hold the analog stick down during the sand surfing to slow down right? It helps with the gates too.

Yeah, but the bigger issue is that I have to collect enough glowing symbols to jump high enough. I guess I'll try again when attempting to get the "companion" trophy.

Just finished my first journey

-dammit i want that soundtrack
-9/10 easily
the game is indeed awesome .
.the parts against the machines were well done it easily made me and my partner warry and stressed . The snow part was just .... just awesome ..i don't have the right words

Freaking fantastic game.

Just finished it for the tenth time. 100% Trophies too (set the clock to April :p).

Each experience was unique and memorable in its way due to the people I interacted with. Definitely my GOTY 2012 thus far, and there are very few games that could top it this year.

Beat it earlier today for the first time and ended with three companions. I was only aware of two different ones and I finished the majority of the game with the same person, or at least I'm pretty certain they were the same one since we rarely split up in any meaningful way and we always passed through the end of each area together and showed up together on the other side. We made it all the way to the very end like that.

The game is truly remarkable. I almost don't want to go through a second time because I feel like I'll be betraying my main partner from the first time through.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Yeah, but the bigger issue is that I have to collect enough glowing symbols to jump high enough. I guess I'll try again when attempting to get the "companion" trophy.

I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but...
On the third I didn't have to jump for myself since a cloth creature helped me across. On the second I just had to aim for it when falling. The first one was easy enough so I assume you don't mean that one.

Mikeside

Oh my Jesus Christ.

I downloaded Journey and thought "oh OK, I'll give it a quick bash before bed - see if I like it"

Now, hours later,
I've gone through the entirety of it

I met a companion in the second..umm...section(?) and stuck with him/her for the lot - at least, until
the bit where we both fell down dead - I was alone in the afterlife... is that normal or did we get separated somehow?
Having not read anything about this game, I was never actually sure if they were another person or some brilliant AI/NPC. Either way it was the most connected I've ever felt to another person in a video game by a country mile.

Such an engaging, emotional experience. The visuals are amazing, the music and sound design are perfect...

I'm basically just gushing. I think it's going to take me a while to process what just happened, but wow.

thatgamecompany needs to make billions from this.

I'll be honest, game seems a bit boring to play and too short for $15. Might wait till it hits $10.

I wouldn't have felt ripped off if I'd paid £30 for this - I got way more out of it than anything I've played in a long time.

Ahh that part. When you reach the end, veer right so that when you hang in the air, you can control yourself to fall right above the symbol. Otherwise, once you release all the smaller scarves, you can use them to power up your own scarf. Probably best to get all the symbols in the intro level to give yourself a longer scarf prior to level selecting.

Wow! Best game on PSN by far IMO. Just completed it in one sitting with six companions. The music is amazing and I loved every second of the game. Kudos to thatgamecompany.

Oh and drop the sixaxis support. It kept screwing with my camera while adding nothing to the game. How can I tell what level is what in the select screen?

Ahh that part. When you reach the end, veer right so that when you hang in the air, you can control yourself to fall right above the symbol. Otherwise, once you release all the smaller scarves, you can use them to power up your own scarf. Probably best to get all the symbols in the intro level to give yourself a longer scarf prior to level selecting.
It's actually the third glowing symbol on the side of the cliff. I'm going to try and ride a cloth creature like mentioned above.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here is what I got out of it.

I think thatgamecompany is stressing that instead of worrying and spending our time focused on a specific dream/goal in life, we should appreciate the companionship that comes from the people we encounter and the beauty that surrounds us. People focus on 'the next big thing,' rather than what is right in front them. I think that if the game had ended after you died climbing up the mountain, it would have left a bigger impact. But, after multiple playthroughs, I started to love the religious overtones. I don't even subscribe to Christianity, but I love the idea that anything is possible in the afterlife, shown by the fact that our traveler reached the mountain with ease.

This. Game.
There's dressing and backstory to it of course, but I agree that on a simpler level, the game is a
parable to a human life. You go forward because it's the only way you can go in time, and you enjoy things and are also tried along the way.You meet the companions, you do things together, sometimes you feel like they slow you down, sometimes you feel like they give you wings. In the end, of course, you struggle and die. It's a simple concept but I can't think of a single game that has explored it as well as this. I guess it's one of those things that game developers would consider too serious of a subject to dive into.

How can I tell what level is what in the select screen?

If you stand in front of the portals, it'll reveal what level it is. But basically levels 2-4 are on the left, level 1 is straight ahead & 5-6 are on the right side if you're standing in the center pillar.

It's actually the third glowing symbol on the side of the cliff. I'm going to try and ride a cloth creature like mentioned above.

Oh, yeah that one was totally confusing to me the first time too. I actually watched YT for where it was lol.

Having never played Flower and only seeing screen shots of this game in its early stages I didn't know what to expect other than a simplistic, graphical masterpiece.

Easily one of my favorite gaming experiences ever. I had 1 companion throughout the entire game and was hoping to have more join but it didn't happen. I had a grin on my face in the first area as I learned the gameplay and mechanics. Just an incredible experience.

I couldn't stop thinking about how much it contrasted other games. I expected it to pop up with a message, "Continue Commander Shepards's journey in our DLC!"
KuGsj.gif

Jinaar

Just like you all, bought and played in one sitting and just want to say what a pleasure it was playing this journey.

Warm fuzzies all over. I kept saying "FRIEND!" out loud every chance I got. My whole sitting had 3 "friends" from start the finish. I will miss them.

elfinke

Reading this thread:

ayK1g.jpg

"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown coll...!"

I mean, I'm buying Journey tonight!

definitely in the minority on this one but I really didn't enjoy it much at all. The sand physics were nice, and the art was cool, but I just didn't "get" what the hype was all about.

Might have enjoyed it more playing solo, wish I had the option to turn that one. One of my (8) companions met actually flew through the levels and by the time i caught up to him he had "done" everything for me

I will say that it is a better
snowboarding game than ssx

ironcreed

Banned
Some of these trophies are going to be tough.

Meditate with a partner for 20 seconds? Good luck, lol.

I found someone just sitting on a dune in the Desert and got it tonight. Apparently they were away from the game, as they just kept sitting there afterwards. After trying to get their attention to join me for about 5 minutes, I eventually just moved on.

Anyway, I can't stop playing this damn game. To those who are saying that they think it is only good for one play through... Get the white cloak, then come talk to me. Makes the game twice as fun with the regenerating scarf.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I found someone just sitting on a dune in the Desert and got it tonight. Apparently they were away from the game, as they just kept sitting there afterwards. After trying to get their attention to join me for about 5 minutes, I eventually just moved on.

Anyway, I can't stop playing this damn game. To those who are saying that they think it is only good for one play through... Get the white cloak, then come talk to me. Makes the game twice as fun with the regenerating scarf.

I also found someone sitting around in the first area when I went specifically to go get it. He was in a white robe so I think he was probably waiting around to help people with it. I was quite grateful :D

Just beat the game. Wish they would have kept my companion's names on screen long enough for me to type out...

I thought this was a really amazing experience. As the follow-up to Flower, I was expecting something just as laid-back yet satisfying, but it went above and beyond that. While Flower was a completely solitary experience, the co-op in Journey added that significant bit of something that made it so rewarding, and not having any kind of direct communication was a big part of that.
My companions got attacked twice by the flying snake thing and I honestly felt distressed seeing them thrown around like that.
Those moments and the emotions they bring out are what sets this game apart.

And the ending, holy shit. Definitely going to make it on my GotY list this year.

Kaldea

Just played through again and had the same partner right through. I don't know what it is about this game, but wow. I keep tearing up at the end. :D

Whoever you are, Ultron87, you're good people.

ultron87

Just played through again and had the same partner right through. I don't know what it is about this game, but wow. I keep tearing up at the end. :D

Whoever you are, Ultron87, you're good people.

Holy crap! That's me! :D :D

You were great. That game was great.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't think any other downloadable title will compare. I was very impressed.

I am enjoying it more than the vast majority of $60.00 games I buy. Can't remember the last time a game made me feel this way. Each time that I
have walked into the light at the end so far, I just sat there listening to that beautiful music as my character eventually vanished, and thoughts of my life and everything I have done and hope to do rush through me.
So simple, yet so contemplative and deep at the same time. The game is pure magic.

Kaldea

*makes lots of happy short pings*

I must say, seeing you
get caught by that snake down in the tunnel truly distressed me.

:D!

I was actually scared of looking too noobish when that happened. I'm happy you had patience!

And I'm sure everyone here will meet up with GAF people if you play enough. I'm really happy it was so soon for us!

sublimit

Banned
Finished it for the first time some hours ago.Mind fucking blowing.

I don't think i'll ever forget my first time playing it...The last time i felt that way with a game was almost 6 years ago with Shadow of the Colossus.I still remember that playthrough...
If someone has a PS3 it should be considered a sin not to play it.

Bajan32

Ok I had to quit out of my second play through because of a mistake I made, but I ran into a fellow journeyman right before I hit quit. God I never felt so bad quitting a game like I just did. Felt like bastard just leaving them, I could tell they wanted to play together :(

That aside.... I loved the hell out of flower.. But omg this game!!!! This game!!!! Man I'm so glad I went into this almost completely blind. This game right here is what I've been missing for a long time lol.

TGS, you guys are really really too awesome, you will always get my money and I can't wait for what's next!

The visuals, sounds, interaction... Everything.
This game!!!!

Satch

Banned
This was on my second playthrough:

I met my partner early on when I saw him trying to rebuild the bridge. You know how kids are in kindergarten when they see another kid playing with a toy, and they become friends immediately? It was pretty much like that.

I'm glad I met him, because he stuck with me the whole way, waiting when I missed a jump and pointing out secrets that he saw. Of course, I did the same. When we got our flight patterns synchronized, we were unstoppable.

We got attacked by one of those flying snake things in the snow chapter, but my partner managed to get out of the way. I didn't move fast enough, and the snake threw me into a wall and I dropped into the snow. My partner came rushing over to my body, chirping like a madman, and when I got up, he stayed close to me the rest of the way. As we were going up towards the end of the mountain and we were weak, I kept trying to chirp to him, but sound was barely coming out. Even still, he weakly chirped a response every time. I actually got teary eyed when he fell into the snow before me, and I died shortly after.

I beat him to the waterfall at the end of "heaven", and I waited for him, chirping for about a minute. I thought I had lost him, but he showed up! Then we sang and danced around each other and walked to the finish together. :)

Felipe 058, whoever you are... <3 <3 <3

Top Bottom