• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

a doodle to get used to my cintiq.

Oepqa.jpg

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
This is turning into a fan-art thread (and I like what I'm seeing!), so I might as well give it a shot as well:

JourneySFam.jpg

I'm in no way a pro at this as this is only my 4th or so miniature, but I'm just about finished with it so I might as well show it to you guys. Feel free to give impressions.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it.
I even liked it more than Flower!

Well worth the $15. Gonna replay it tonight.

FireCloud

No surprise, Tom Chick didn't get it.

/le sigh
Apparently he didn't get it.

I just wish I didn't reward his site with another click to find that out.

I've been enjoying Journey. Played through about five times already and have all but the Adventure and Return trophies. It is amazing how well multiplayer works and how helpful people are when they aren't allowed to open their mouths.

jett

D-Member
a doodle to get used to my cintiq.

Oepqa.jpg

Awesome. I'm thinking about getting a tablet, but just a cheap one. :p Are you familiar at all with Wacom's Bamboo line?

This is turning into a fan-art thread (and I like what I'm seeing!), so I might as well give it a shot as well:

JourneySFam.jpg

I'm in no way a pro at this as this is only my 4th or so miniature, but I'm just about finished with it so I might as well show it to you guys. Feel free to give impressions.

That's pretty fantastic, looks real cute.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it.
I even liked it more than Flower!

Well worth the $15. Gonna replay it tonight.

1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Awesome. I'm thinking about getting a tablet, but just a cheap one. :p Are you familiar at all with Wacom's Bamboo line?

I had a graphire 4, pretty equivalent to wacom bamboo fun first generation.

To be honest it served me well for 8 years. It's just about what you prefer. An increased performance of the pen on the intuos line (such as, detecting the angle you're using the pen at, more levels of pressure, but small area ... or a medium area for a bamboo.

Wacom does good tablets either path you choose.

I have to say, as great as the initial blind runthrough experience is, the fact that the game is built fundamentally with repeated playthroughs in mind and rewards completionist exploration really takes it to another level for me.

Canova

Banned

JourneySFam.jpg

Thats really cute :)

Now you should make the white cloak one as a companion

Lots of talented artists in this thread

JourneySFam.jpg

Incredible ..congrats

Ricky_R

JourneySFam.jpg

Those are pretty awesome... Can't get the thought that they look like jawas out of my head though. ;)

Nice job.

I'm missing two glyphs, one of them
on the left side, the one on the bottom right, and the other is on the right side, second from the right on the top row.

Could anyone help me know which are those? :p

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
That's pretty fantastic, looks real cute.

Thanks! Yeah, it got a bit chibi compared to the real model, which is a lot slimmer.

Thats really cute :)

Now you should make the white cloak one as a companion

Thanks! Haha, actually, it was white once. I had to smear it all in gesso to make the paint stick. I'll think about making a white one later on, though. There's another project I want to finish first.

Incredible ..congrats

Thank you!

Those are pretty awesome... Can't get the thought that they look like jawas out of my head though. ;)

Nice job.

Lol, you are so right. It does look a bit jawa-like. Thanks. :D

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Playthrough #2 will be tonite. I see people here talking about playing it alone, but how can you? Are you just saying to sign out of PSN before playing?

Also, i wish there was a way to turn off the motion controls...

But yeah, this game is just amazing...every PS3 owner needs to play it.

Ricky_R

I'm missing two glyphs, one of them
on the left side, the one on the bottom right, and the other is on the right side, second from the right on the top row.

Could anyone help me know which are those? :p

I don't know which one is which in the glyphs tables, but did you get the one hidden behind a flag in the tower level? It's inside the area where the plane made of flags comes out from. There's also one in the part where there's a sand storm and everything is dark. When you reach the end, don't go up the stairs, go around to the left until you reach the back area. There are also 2 in the sand sliding parts.

Maybe one of those is one of the two you're missing. Hell maybe both.

EDIT: My bad... Thought the glyphs were the other thingies.

Hey anyone have a good place to get 1920x1080 screens for this? I want some ingame screens as my wallpaper (sundown sandsurfing, Im looking for you!)

I don't know which one is which in the glyphs tables, but did you get the one hidden behind a flag in the tower level? It's inside the area where the plane made of flags comes out from. There's also one in the part where there's a sand storm and everything is dark. When you reach the end, don't go up the stairs, go around to the left until you reach the back area. There are also 2 in the sand sliding parts.

Yeah, I also thought the glyphs were the symbols haha, no problem

Actually I haven't seen the first one you said, so I'll look for it now :D Thanks.

Canova

Banned
Hey anyone have a good place to get 1920x1080 screens for this? I want some ingame screens as my wallpaper (sundown sandsurfing, Im looking for you!)

Many scenes are beautiful in Journey, but sundown sandsurfing is the most beautiful of all. It only lasts for a few seconds that makes it the hardest to capture with good quality.

Thanks again, I just got them all :D!

Many scenes are beautiful in Journey, but sundown sandsurfing is the most beautiful of all. It only lasts for a few seconds that makes it the hardest to capture with good quality.

You can always sit :) I would personally love shots of the
final part, all of it :D

Tex117

Banned
In the Obsidian thread, 1 percent difference in Metacritic was all that matters from their studio getting a bonus.

It's a pretty sad situation that idiots get to control that.
And by idiots you mean why would a studio ever agree to peg a bonus on something that is as arbitrary as metacritic.

It should have been "met sales" expectations. Who in the world negotiated that nonsense?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
WAS IT A GAFFER?!

:)

I need to know! You and I buddy, until 15 minutes ago, and it was awesome. We met 10 minutes into the first "level" of the game, it was obviously the first time playing for both of us, we played for a good hour until the (no spoiler) the blue zone, going slowly, appreciating the vistas, doing the puzzles together and communicating with that one note.

It was incredible. I wish I could send a friend request to that guy, he seemed better than 99% of the people you usually meet in online games. Well of course people interested in this game have an higher chance of "getting it" and behave online the way I like ;)

SERIOUSLY THO, YOU'RE A GAFFER AREN'T YOU?! :p

Ra1den

WAS IT A GAFFER?!

I need to know! You and I buddy, until 15 minutes ago, and it was awesome. We met 10 minutes into the first "level" of the game, it was obviously the first time playing for both of us, we played for a good hour until the (no spoiler) the blue zone, going slowly, appreciating the vistas, doing the puzzles together and communicating with that one note.

It was incredible. I wish I could send a friend request to that guy, he seemed better than 99% of the people you usually meet in online games. Well of course people interested in this game have an higher chance of "getting it" and behave online the way I like ;)

Did you beat the game?

Dash Kappei

Did you beat the game?

No :(
Power surge and everything went off, it seemed almost on purpose since the other player was sitting and disintegrating 2 seconds before that, at the end of the blue level when it's saving.

I'll go in again tonight, I don't know if I should start over tho.

Bliddo

WAS IT A GAFFER?!

Happened the same to me, and we got to the end of the game. At first barely interacting with each others, but in the end we were tied like brothers. Never experienced something like that in multiplayer.

JourneySFam.jpg

Not going to lie man but you could sell those to a lot of happy gaffers.

I just finished it and absolutely loved the whole experience. The scene where you're sliding down the sand while the sun sets over the mountain has to be one of the most beautiful moments I've ever seen in a game.

edgefusion

Did I just play with a Gaffer? At the end they drew half a heart in the snow and I completed it like someone else in the thread.

<3

ScOULaris

I thought I'd share a brief story that I feel is a testament to the power of the game's imagery and themes.

My wife had watched me play about halfway through the game the first time that I beat it, and then I convinced her to watch the last half one morning during my second playthrough. She watched me play, with one companion, from the underground area until the finale.

During the final segment (
the ascension and walking into the light with my companion as we chirped our last chirps to one another
), I looked over and noticed that my wife was crying. At first, she was merely misty-eyed, but it wasn't long before it escalated into a deeply felt stream of tears. She was crying out of sadness, but she couldn't take her eyes off of the majesty of what was happening on-screen.

I knew instantly why this was happening. About two years ago, my wife lost her mother at the young age of 54 to breast cancer. The game's ending, with everything culminating the way that it does and its
afterlife theme
triggered deep-seated painful emotions pertaining to the loss of her mother.
It was especially when she noticed that my companion and I were chirping our last words to one another as we entered the light that she really lost it.

On one hand, I felt terrible to have shown my wife something that brought up these painful memories and feelings. On the other, it gave me a whole new appreciation for the game's ending and how well-crafted it truly is.

So when people hear about others crying at the ending and say, "But the game isn't even sad," they are missing the point. The game's incredibly effective (and affecting) audiovisual presentation combined with the human element of its multiplayer and the universal applicability of its simple themes is capable of drawing out emotions related to happenings outside of the game altogether.

That's really impressive, and thatgamecompany deserves the utmost commendation for their work in this regard.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just finished my first play though today.

One of the best gaming experiences of my life, dethroning Yoshi's Island for me personally. Which is insane because YI is a masterpiece.

Unbelievable.

Did a second playthrough tonight and got paired up with an awesome player. Got the Companion trophy with him and was another great experience like my first. I'll more than likely play through another 3-5 times.

Dash Kappei

Is there some kind of secret "code" you guys have set up to recognize if you're playing with a gaffer?
Like some morse code, or a drawing in the sand? That'd be cool :)

If it is the one I got as a plus member it is concept art that moves and pans across the screen. Journey Concept Art=Awesome

2.99No, it has some scenes from the game with some moving particles. Nothing special.

I do quite like the new dynamic theme - especially the "underwater" scene - but I wish it wouldn't transition like it does. I'd prefer it to stay on one scene and then change whenever you exit into the XMB. But it was free and I love the particle effects so it's all good.

Is it possible to somehow make sure your first playthrough is with someone else on their first playthrough? All I can think of is to avoid people with the white cloak.

Top Bottom