• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Played through the game in one sitting today. I liked it, but didn't love it. At the end I had 7 companions help me on my journey. Is this normal?

red731

Played through the game in one sitting today. I liked it, but didn't love it. At the end I had 7 companions help me on my journey. Is this normal?

Bold part is a must and yes, you've just met a lot of companions. I finished game with three.
Their connection could break thus vanishing from your session and then another will join.

Liberty4all

Banned
It would seem that "penis in the snow" at the end of the game has gone as viral as "heart in the snow"

6 th playthrough tonight. I think I like wearing the brown more than white ...

GhaleonQ

What gives you the impression that they were going for an intellectually deep game? The metaphors are obvious, yes, and this is by design. TGC did not set out to make an intellectually stimulating game, they sought out to make an emotional one.

These are two very different things.

Definitely. I think a game changer, a landmark for game artistry, would have both. The heralded art I like has both. I was surprised that it was just a video game, from the reviews, discussion, and repeated playthroughs. That's not a demerit, just, you know, no extra credit. Good stuff.

Tomodachi

I seriously don't understand sentiments like this at all. My wife laughed when I asked her if she was moved or had an attachment to the game emotionally. It was a pretty cool experience with a decent narrative (that frankly had a similar pace to Flower) and I definitely enjoyed playing through it, but there is no way it touched us in any deep or artful way.
Because everyone reacts to the same things in the exact same manner.

Did my first play though last night. had 3 companions. All were really decent chaps.
Can't stop thinking about this game & want to play through it again tonight.

The overall experience is amazing, but there's so many little touches as well.

Such as in one of the meditation scenes when

The white dude is passing on knowledge. When it comes to the part about the fall of society/war/running out of resources or whatever happens, its head is pointed down & it won't face you. It's more than just sad. It's ashamed.

So good.

shawnlreed

Sorry if this has already been posted.
Normally I avoid Facebook like the plague, but I made an exception in order to get a Journey avatar.
Just go to https://www.facebook.com/PlayStation , like the PlayStation Facebook page, click the Journey tab on the left, and then follow the other instructions.
It gives you a free code to redeem in the PSN store.

6859233986_49e4885715.jpg

7005364681_6a817e40f3.jpg

Edit : Judging from GAF replies this looks to be US only. Sorry!

Chuckie

Sorry if this has already been posted.
Normally I avoid Facebook like the plague, but I made an exception in order to get a Journey avatar.
Just go to https://www.facebook.com/PlayStation , like the PlayStation Facebook page, click the Journey tab on the left, and then follow the other instructions.
It gives you a free code to redeem in the PSN store.

6859233986_49e4885715.jpg

7005364681_6a817e40f3.jpg

I liked the page, but I see no 'submit' button or way to get the code :(

Is this because I am from Yurop?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
botched attempt at desert scene
decided to try something a little different :)
GWRnd.jpg

Get a little flOw beastie onto there somewhere and you have the perfect cover art for a thatgamecompany trilogy disc release!

Just found the worst review ever when I checked its score on Gamerankings... then I say this abysmal 2/5 review.

I can groove on a good arthouse game. I don’t mind short, experimental, or inscrutable. I’m the kind of guy who thought Bastion was deep, The Path was meaningful, and Gravity Bone was transcendent. I might even play Dear Esther one day. But Journey, the latest release from the creators of Flower at thatgamecompany? I’d rather stay home.

After the jump, indie cred revoked

Journey is nothing like Flower, which was a unique spry tale of wind, color, and redemption. Journey is yet another game in which you control a little dude who sometimes jumps. Most of the time, you just push your stick up and watch him move languidly and sometimes ponderously past scenery. It’s certainly a pretty game, if somewhat monochromatic. It imagines an exotic (i.e. Middle Eastern) culture of sand and cloth, except that these people have sharp points where their feet should be and they’re polytheists who believe in reincarnation.

The eponymous journey takes you over minor puzzles, underneath threats, though a limp-to-the-finish finale, and into a supposedly rapturous conclusion. Along the way, the story is illustrated with line drawings and presided over by a tall luminescent god creature who’s part of a committee of god creatures who show up at the end to, um…well, that’s for you to parse. The point seems to be some sort of circle of life affirmation about how the journey matters more than the destination, so you should probably play a second time.

It’s often picturesque and occasionally rousing. Your pilgrim on this brief hajj wears a burka, with a scarf thrown on for good measure. The scarf is actually Journey’s only claim to an interface for how it measures how much jump juice you have. You also have preternaturally wise alien/cat eyes. Think Jawas, but lithe. It’s great character design in search of a game. A couple of times, Journey made me want to play SSX. But it mostly reminded me of some of the dull and barely interactive bits of Uncharted 3. I think the lesson here is that deserts are often poorly suited to games without dune buggies.

There’s no challenge and no real gameplay, which isn’t necessarily a criticism. It’s sort of like Shadow of the Colossus without any colossi, or Ico without the little girl. It does have multiplayer, though. Other players run around in your game pulling your switches, mashing their circle buttons to activate the “hey, over here!” beacons, and basically going the same place you’re going without any meaningful way to interact with you unless you both know Morse code. How’s that for a metaphor for online gaming?

2 stars

Danielsan

If you guys really want the avatar you can simply purchase it on the store for €0,25. Seems more efficient. I know for a fact that there are two Journey avatars up on the Dutch store.

sorry if old, saw this on n4g yesterday

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/20/journey-producer-reveals-how-gamer-reactions-influenced-the-game/

early build of Journey have more interaction between player and during playtest, instead of trying to help each other, they try to kill each other instead like pushing other player to cliff etc.

Man that's great stuff haha. It's very apparent how much thought, crafting, and editing went into this tiny experience, it's nice to have insight into the actual process.

Plasmid

Just finished it in one playthrough, amazing game. can't wait to replay it.

6 companions along the way! Such a fun game with the anonymity until the end.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Awesome. I'm thinking about getting a tablet, but just a cheap one. :p Are you familiar at all with Wacom's Bamboo line?

That's pretty fantastic, looks real cute.

1269602956_dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

Just recently got a Wacom Intuos ... fantastic tablet. I like the space on the pad itself and the shortcuts it comes with. Also comes with a good pspelements install and a fantastic QuickDesk sketch program with 2 brush expansions if you are so inclined. They are great for users a without the disposable income to grab a high end touchscreen wacom setup (1200 bucks whoa but i want one soooooooo bad). Fantastic refresh rate. Good stuff.

If i get the time i'll post some of what i've done on it later tonight... perhaps work on a lil journey sketch to join in on the fun!

Plasmid

Are there any things you can get after beating the game? I know you can go back through chapter select, are there any forms of different outfits, scarves etc?

Also, i lost parts of my scarf on the last mission, does anyone else start out with the smaller scarf, or is this because i lost mine?

Got my Return trophy last night, 100% complete.

Decided to play the game in my red robe rather than my fancier one, though I realized that my red one is quite fancy and sticks out more (the patterns I mean) on it than on white.
KuGsj.gif

I don't know what it is about this game, but I keep having to come back to it in hopes that I'll meet someone who's never played it before (or come across a Gaffer).

jett

D-Member
I had a graphire 4, pretty equivalent to wacom bamboo fun first generation.

To be honest it served me well for 8 years. It's just about what you prefer. An increased performance of the pen on the intuos line (such as, detecting the angle you're using the pen at, more levels of pressure, but small area ... or a medium area for a bamboo.

Wacom does good tablets either path you choose.

Just recently got a Wacom Intuos ... fantastic tablet. I like the space on the pad itself and the shortcuts it comes with. Also comes with a good pspelements install and a fantastic QuickDesk sketch program with 2 brush expansions if you are so inclined. They are great for users a without the disposable income to grab a high end touchscreen wacom setup (1200 bucks whoa but i want one soooooooo bad). Fantastic refresh rate. Good stuff.

If i get the time i'll post some of what i've done on it later tonight... perhaps work on a lil journey sketch to join in on the fun!

Thanks for the advice, I'm still weighing my options. Is a large tablet really worth it over a small one?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Thanks for the advice, I'm still weighing my options. Is a large tablet really worth it over a small one?

It really depends on your style. I don't work in broad strokes so I have the smallest size Intuos 4. My previous one was the largest size Intuos 3 but I found the space completely useless for me.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

If you're going to splurge and get a displayed screen tablet the larger workspace is pretty fantastic. I had the chance to use a few when attended the Art institute in Portland and the feeling to me was like working on a 18X24 drawing pad. The bright backlighting and the fact that you can look directly at the screen as you work make the space important as if felt extremely natural to me ...

On the other hand my new Intuos is only 10X14 and some change and after 10 minutes i was completely used to the tablet. If you are already somewhat experienced with digital design i doubt it will bother you until you get to the "small" sizes which start to feel reeeaaally restrictive. Picking up the pen and scrolling right then finishing a line will infuriate even the most zen like artists.

edit:
It really depends on your style. I don't work in broad strokes so I have the smallest size Intuos 4. My previous one was the largest size Intuos 3 but I found the space completely useless for me.

Broad strokes for cool folks! missed your point about the pen as well and while i don't have a lot of experience with anything except wacom the newest intuos pen is so freakin radical. When i first fired up autodesk and started playing with med lines on a pencil setting and got the same results I normally get with graphite on gritty paper i was basically sold. And i'm horrible with color ... a whole world of technique to discover and I honestly can't wait.

Jintor

He thought Bastion was deep. That pretty much sums it up.

Weird. Bastion has a lot more gameplay, but it strikes very similar emotional tones to me (mainly thanks to the stunning music). A lot less consistent in its emotional...ness though, it's got more like 'peaks' of emotion rather than anything else.

Top Bottom