• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey |OT| Perfect Strangers

Tilian

Banned
I went to go draw a heart in the snow at the end...and when I completed half of it, my partner drew in the second half. ;_; Then we stood at the bottom of the heart together and chirped.

Nice.
My companion drew a big dick with balls. Wasn't the ending I hoped for.

wouwie

On my 5th playthrough, i used headphones and it was awesome. I'd recommend trying this at least once.

I was going to wait until the end of the week to replay but i don't think i can wait until then. I think i'm going to go through it one more time tonight and then wait a couple of days.

It's weird. After finishing the game, all i want to do is replay it. Such an awesome game experience.

I'm kinda sad that I've obtained all the trophies; now I don't have anything else to do. I guess I'll come back to the game in a couple of months time when it's a little bit fresh in my mind and play through it all again.

Is the soundtrack available to purchase yet? If not, are there any plans to release it?

Canova

Banned
I'm kinda sad that I've obtained all the trophies; now I don't have anything else to do. I guess I'll come back to the game in a couple of months time when it's a little bit fresh in my mind and play through it all again.

Is the soundtrack available to purchase yet? If not, are there any plans to release it?

I've gotten most of the trohpy but that's with on NA PSN account. Now I'm gonna play it all over again with my JPN and EU PSN, start fresh as newb, just follow other players around

Tilian

Banned
I'm kinda sad that I've obtained all the trophies; now I don't have anything else to do. I guess I'll come back to the game in a couple of months time when it's a little bit fresh in my mind and play through it all again.it?

Kinda sad too, but I find that what keeps it somewhat fresh each time is the personality of each companion and how they subtly affect each experience (through such things as experimentation and different forms of communication). The last person I was with was insanely unpredictable, which made it exciting even after 20 playthroughs.

What an incredible thing it is to go through the Journey experience, I know that everything that can be said about it has already been said a thousand times but it's a genuine and absolute triumph of a game.

Chuckie

Can you get the Broken Bridge trophy without a white cloak? Which section of the bridge is best to leave uncompleted?

Yes. I think I left the last section uncompleted. I could fly to the higher point (pillars) on that bridgepart, have my scarf recharged by my compagnion and fly over.

He didn't make it though. So I went back and helped him.

Vodh

I believe it's possible to use some of the floating cloth to skip the first part, so if you complete the rest of the bridge it should be possible to get there without the white cloak.

ultron87

Cool. Now to just do it without some overzealous partner completing stuff all willy-nilly.

I wish there was some way to do a chirp that sounds disapproving.

Hmm, I really shouldn't be buying any games...but this sounds really amazing from the impressions on here.

I'm having doubts but I'm not sure why exactly, probably length and replayability....

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Omg :')

Finally got Companion with someone and at the end...ugh, my heart.

I went to go draw a heart in the snow at the end...and when I completed half of it, my partner drew in the second half. ;_; Then we stood at the bottom of the heart together and chirped.
God damn it, man. I'm so excited to experience this game again (and it's only been 20 hours since we bought it!)

Danielsan

Can you fly forever if you are within your companions aura and you stay in it while ascending?
You can fly forever if you and your partner time your shouts well enough and stay close to one and other. Let me tell you, it is an awesome feeling to traverse the entire map in the air whilst flying in sync.

You can fly forever if you and your partner time your shouts well enough and stay close to one and other. Let me tell you, it is an awesome feeling to traverse the entire map in the air whilst flying in sync.

Cool that's what I figured. I actually thought that was the way to cross the first bridge until I realised you can play this solo. I was trying to get my companion to fly with me throughout the game but he would never jump when I did.

EXGN

Played for the first time over the weekend, loved it.

I played with one companion the whole way through and lead him through it, it kinda felt like I was the older brother and he was my younger brother. I'd wait for him if he fell behind and let him complete some of the objectives even when I had already figured out the answer.

The ascension part was perhaps one of my greatest moments in gaming.

Famassu

TLG is looking to have missed it's place somewhat in light of Journey for me. My defense has always been that until someone makes something approaching Ico quality quicker than Team Ico did, there's no real reason to think a team can make a title of that quality, with the PS3 quality assets any faster. Journey is Ico quality, certainly it's only half, maybe a third of the length, and still took quite a long time, but it's making it hard to justify, even to myself what about TLG is taking the time it is.
How many games are trying to achieve the kind of realistically acting animal as TLG? Journey is relatively simple in comparison, yet even then it took over 3 years.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Not sure if this has already been asked but is it possible to join my friends game?

It is technically possible, but it takes a lot of work and planning to actually make it work. You can't just choose to join :< (I find playing with an anonymous person to be a more exciting experience though.)

arena08

I thought as much. I agree with you Lissar; played it through last night with random companions which was fantastic.

It would be nice to have the option though.

Like others, I was afraid that the game wouldn't be so emotionally impacting after the first playthrough, but I was so wrong. Such a nice surprise :)

Can you fly forever if you are within your companions aura and you stay in it while ascending?

Not only you can, but it's the best part of the game. When you and your partner fly through the air in unison and without limits... ;_;

I played Journey today. It was probably one of the greatest experiences this gen. I am at a loss for words actually.

I know the sand surfing gets a lot of play here and it is fantastic, but the last level is a godsend. The art of that level looks like a painting and the music is the best in the game IMO.

Truly an amazing game and I feel like playing it again. Those who complain about the length but haven't played it need to understand that it is the perfect length. It almost urges you to play it again and the length is very fitting to replaying the game.

AngryMoth

I did a third play through last night and thought that would be it for a while, but already I find myself loading it up again to try out that white cloak. Goes back to what I always say about replayability; the way to give a game replay value is just to make it really good.

Ra1den

Funny how my experience during my first playthrough, while awesome, left me frustrated that I couldn't be as immersed as I wanted, yet as time goes on, my emotional response to the game becomes stronger and stronger. (its only been one day lol)

Seriously, I cant stop thinking about it.

Wow thats incredible ^

Yeah it's pretty crazy how this game pulls you in and won't let you go even when you're not playing. For a few days after first playing it, I pretty much did nothing but sit around all day thinking about it and looking forward to my next playthrough.

Danielsan

I did a third play through last night and thought that would be it for a while, but already I find myself loading it up again to try out that white cloak. Goes back to what I always say about replayability; the way to give a game replay value is just to make it really good.
The fact that it is on 1.5 - 2 hours helps too. There is virtually no barrier to going for another playthrough once you meet a companion.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Is there a high res screenshot anywhere from the credits from the last scene before it turns night? Without the credits text, that is. I'd love to get my hands on it, if so.

This shot:

GJEVR.jpg

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I thought as much. I agree with you Lissar; played it through last night with random companions which was fantastic.

It would be nice to have the option though.

If they had had the option, I would have never played with a random person. I have enough people on my friends list who have the game and I've always disliked games where I have to play with strangers. I'm glad this forced me into it.

Just beat it.

Had a really cool guy at the beginning who knew a lot of secrets and showed me some cool stuff. Then I got separated at the
Tower after the underwater area

Then I got some guy that was a brown cloak like me and I was kinda pissed because he could never live up to my old bro. "YOU ARENT MY REAL DAD!" sort of moment. I ended up losing and gaining a couple more before finishing and by the end I was just happy to have a partner.

Good stuff.

Famassu

Journey took 3 years to make?

I wonder how much the budget is
Flower was released in February 2009.

I don't think the budget is too big, Thatgamecompany is pretty small. Even if they've gotten some help from SCEA Santa Monica, I'm guessing they've still done most of the job themselves, which I'm sure is at least one of the biggest reasons for the long development cycle (I guess the different-from-norm kind of online coop is another, they absolutely needed to nail that perfectly).

Endo Punk

Journey is one of a kind and I can see the Team ICO influence but I have to say ICO and SotC resonated with me a lot more. I guess it's because when I played them I was a kid, early teens. But I guess everything feels emotionally stronger as a kid, like when you accidently change a channel and see a naked chick. Now(as an adult) if you see a horror film, nudity it's like 'whatever'.

Played through the beta like a dozen times last year, and have been stoked for the game ever since. I finally got it on Thursday night and played it straight through. Moving is an understatement. The game is just beautiful in every regard. It makes Flower look emotionally dull, which is saying a lot.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
My first post on GAF, and it's about what is pretty much the best game to come along in quite a while. Never has a game been able to instill in me the sorts of emotions that Journey has been able to on each and every play through. I've played through the game 5 times in its entirety now, watched several friends do the same, and scoured the game for all achievements (sans the one that requires me not to play.

With regards to the
white robe. I received mine long ago and have played the game using it the last several times. I love the change that it brings to the relationship with the other players. Instead of being another faceless wanderer venturing to the lofty peaks, I find that you take on the role of a sort of guardian angel, flitting through the air and offering assistance to the other players when needed.

This whole game is remarkable. It offers an experience pretty much unlike any other game out there, at least as far as the depth of emotion, and allegorical storytelling is concerned. I can't imagine the next time we'll get a game that impacts me in the way that Journey did, but at least this game and its incredible reception has given me high hopes for the future of the industry.

arena08

If they had had the option, I would have never played with a random person. I have enough people on my friends list who have the game and I've always disliked games where I have to play with strangers. I'm glad this forced me into it.

You're right for sure. The fact that you're forced to play with random players makes it what it is.

Maybe as an unlock once you complete it with strangers? :p

Went in totally blind.

Just finished my first yourney in one sitting. That was truly breathtaking.

Truly remarkable. Thatgamecompany cannot be commended enough for making such a bold game.

Had my first encounter 5 minutes after starting. We stayed together til' the end. Holy shit what an odissey.

Cannot wait to play again.

Amir0x

Banned
Went in totally blind.

Just finished my first yourney in one sitting. That was truly breathtaking.

It's funny that the length complaints seem to me so foreign now, even when I myself was making them immediately prior to release.

Because it's clear to me that this is a game that virtually DEMANDS you complete it in one sitting, and that there would be no other way to have the same impact otherwise. If the game was 4 hours long, it'd be impossible to have a synchronized experience with a single individual on a journey. And that's basically the only way for it to have its maximum impact, as far as I am concerned.

Top Bottom