• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Bret Hart had the best mainstream coverage of any wrestler:

528014_bret13.jpg

Anth0ny

Austin & Rock did. Seemed like Austin was on every US talk show at one point and Rock always had that appeal anyway.

When Bret was on top, I think it was more limited due to the attention the business was getting in general.

Yeah I definitely remember that. They were everywhere. SNL too, I think?

I don't remember ever hearing about Make a Wish back then, though. I remember hearing Cena is a part of that every week. Insane schedule.

Hasney

Yeah I definitely remember that. They were everywhere. SNL too, I think?

I don't remember ever hearing about Make a Wish back then, though. I remember hearing Cena is a part of that every week. Insane schedule.

I know Rock did a few, although I think that was after Scorpion King. Makes sense since the product at that time wasn't aimed at kids. It was around then for sure, just WWE didn't promote their wrestlers doing it as much. I mean, there's even that story about Warrior not seeing a kid who was there to see him from Brets book.

Bret Hart had the best mainstream coverage of any wrestler:

528014_bret13.jpg

16865%20-%20animated_macro%20daphne_blake_(scooby-doo)%20fred_jones_(scooby-doo)%20gif%20john_cena%20scooby-doo%20scooby-doo_wrestlemania_mystery%20shaggy_rogers_(scooby-doo)%20velma_dinkley_(scooby-doo).gif

Ithil

Did Austin ever do all the shit Cena does? Rock? Bret?

They did far more. Or at least, they did far more major things, they were legitimately mainstream. Cena is as niche as WWE faces of the company get, despite what WWE want to believe.

Zach

I love Taker just as much as the next guy.. but health at his age is just an excuse. There comes a point where you have to be logical. That match featured a guy that barely had any in ring work for a year against another guy that in all rights should have won the match. Lesnar should have won... but the whole thing where the Take comes out and stares at you and points to the Wrestlemania banner (basically hand picking his opponet)... its done.

They have crazy talent and with the right writing could bump all of those guys to another level. Rusev is a beast... He could be the most hated man in wrestling. He needs to be handled very carefully.
Brey Wyatt is a bonified magician on the mic. He needs to be handled better.
I would love to write a script for a show. I promise it would be better than half the shit they put out now. The truth is... any of us in this forum could.

Let's see it, sister.

They did far more. Or at least, they did far more major things, they were legitimately mainstream. Cena is as niche as WWE faces of the company get, despite what WWE want to believe.

He's also been around for far longer as a top guy than anybody else, sans Bruno.

Carnby

I read the RAW results.

It sounds like the show was pretaaay pretaaay pretty good.

Edit:

It wasn't HHH or even Nash that killed Punk's momentum. It was Del Rio. For months we had a worked shoot story that teetered on the line of reality and scripted events. Then comes in a cartoon character and takes the belt with a fake contract. That was the moment the Summer of Punk died.

Verendus

Banned
All this talk about Punk, dude's not even a bigger star than Triple H. This is how desperate fans have become in recent years. Anyone can be the saviour and bring it back to the Attitude Era! As if that will ever happen.

SS card:

1. Cena vs Brock

2. Orton vs Reigns

3. Rollins vs Ambrose

4. Rusev vs Swagger

5. Miz vs Dolph

6. AJ vs Paige

7. Steph vs Brie

8. Bray vs Jericho

Hogan dancing around, probably during Swagger match.

That's a big card for 3 hours, and leaving off Rhodes Bros, Cesaro, Usos, Kane, Sheamus and Bo Dallas. Usos vs Rybaxel is very possible or maybe a fatal 4 way. Would love to see Bo Dallas go after the US title so that someone actually does something with it. Dolph' s chase of the IC title us going to be great.

Too many 1v1s too. We need a tag match and some stips. Maybe Kane and Cesaro can team up since Cesaro isn't doing anything and is now a "HHH" guy.

I keep hearing that Miz is going to end up feuding with Sheamus to unify the IC/US titles. Didn't seem like it judging by last night though.

Hasney

SS card:

1. Cena vs Brock

2. Orton vs Reigns

3. Rollins vs Ambrose

4. Rusev vs Swagger

5. Miz vs Dolph

6. AJ vs Paige

7. Steph vs Brie

8. Bray vs Jericho

Hogan dancing around, probably during Swagger match.

That's a big card for 3 hours, and leaving off Rhodes Bros, Cesaro, Usos, Kane, Sheamus and Bo Dallas. Usos vs Rybaxel is very possible or maybe a fatal 4 way. Would love to see Bo Dallas go after the US title so that someone actually does something with it. Dolph' s chase of the IC title us going to be great.

Too many 1v1s too. We need a tag match and some stips. Maybe Kane and Cesaro can team up since Cesaro isn't doing anything and is now a "HHH" guy.

People were saying Orton V Kane rather than Reigns. Triple threat for the #1 contendership?

Also, it will be 3.5 hours. Wouldn't be shocked if Ziggler/Miz was pre-show material.

EDIT: you're also missing NOD2.0, but since they're new, I'd be satisfied with a run in on someone.

Bowser

I keep hearing that Miz is going to end up feuding with Sheamus to unify the IC/US titles. Didn't seem like it judging by last night though.

I'm assuming both Kane and Sheamus are going to be added to the Reigns/Orton and Miz/Ziggler matches respectively.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The Demon Kane does not scare me if a brisk jog is his vulnerability.
Brisk jog? Kane has said that all he does now is mainly work on cardio, and he works out 5-6 days a week. A brisk jog won't affect him. Wrestling twice in 24 hours might, and he still was doing fine in the match. Breathing that way on the apron is likely just a technique to breathe well. Might have learned it from DDP Yoga or something.

Malvingt2

All this talk about Punk, dude's not even a bigger star than Triple H. This is how desperate fans have become in recent years. Anyone can be the saviour and bring it back to the Attitude Era! As if that will ever happen.

One thing I will always remember CM Punk for is that he said no to a Triple H match @WM.
Dude is awesome.

jmdajr

The Highest Paid Actors In Hollywood
1. Robert Downey Jr - $75 million
2. Dwayne Johnson - $52 million
3. Bradley Cooper - $46 million
4. Leonardo DiCaprio - $39 million
5. Chris Hemsworth - $37 million
6. Liam Neeson - $36 million
7. Ben Affleck - $35 million
8. Christian Bale - $35 million
9. Will Smith - £32 million
10. Mark Wahlberg - $32 million

SoulPlaya

more money than God
lol at Cena has broader appeal.

When's the last time Cena made it outside of the WWE machine?

Will you ever seen Cena featured like this:

Picture_7.png

Hell fucking no.
Actually, Simmons has covered Cena plenty of times. He's a wrestling mark who has written many articles on grantland about wrestling.

Hasney

Highest Grossing actors in Hollywood.

1. Dwayne Johnson - $1.3 billion
2. Robert Downey Jr - $1.2 billion

INJUSTICE!

Why is Will Smith paid in £ and why is he not higher up the list if that is the case?

iBBHC07jPmZxY.gif

Why in the hell was Will Smith paid in pounds?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I will always remember CM Punk for is that he said no to a Triple H match @WM.
Dude is awesome.

Big mistake since HHH/Bryan at Mania 30 was the best WWE match of the year

Verendus

Banned
Dwayne is the only legitimate draw WWE has.

Seriously, rest of these guys matter to no one except wrestling fans. Lesnar? Clearly doesn't mean shit outside of the UFC. Cena? 9 years haven't made him relevant. Undertaker? Maybe back in the 90s or never. Punk? Not even bigger than Edge back in the day and got eclipsed by Bryan in a few months.

Wrestling fans need to accept Dwayne as their one and only true superstar. This is all WWE has. It's why they bent over for him three years in a row. I look forward to his inevitable return in the future to headline one more Wrestlemania.

Hasney

Big mistake since HHH/Bryan at Mania 30 was the best WWE match of the year

But Punk/HHH wasn't when they had that match.

Not sure if HHH is just a better part-timer than he was then, or Bryan and HHH have that chemistry. Leaning towards the former, but I can't really judge based on multi-man matches afterwards.

Dwayne is the only legitimate draw WWE has.

Seriously, rest of these guys matter to no one except wrestling fans. Lesnar? Clearly doesn't mean shit outside of the UFC. Cena? 9 years haven't made him relevant. Undertaker? Maybe back in the 90s. Punk? Not even bigger than Edge back in the day.

Wrestling fans need to accept Dwayne as their one and only true superstar.

Pffft, Edge was on Scy Fy original programmin. Nobody can touch him!

Top Bottom