• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Anth0ny

But they don't take risks when they are out of options. That's why Cena is champ now. They aren't panic mode Nintendo...

They are giving Reigns the god push right now. It's literally perfect, and he's getting over with the fans. Just the way they've pushed the Shield in general since they came to the company is like a fucking alternate dimension where WWE actually knows what they're doing.

Punk and Bryan didn't even get a fucking fraction of the push Reigns is getting, even after proving they were over like mother fuckers.

Hasney

Assuming he recovers fully, the time off is best for him because he's part awesome wrestler, part awesome underdog (gets the kids and the internet alike behind him), and part avatar for the internet wanting to Beat The Man by having their guy triumph due to their work (see: every match he loses he's buried, feuding with Kane means he's buried, etc.). His absence makes the heart grow fonder, makes him an underdog having to climb the ladder all over again after getting to the top for a hot minute, and fuels the WWE Keeps Your Favs Down meta-storyline.

I'm not saying Bryan can't sustain a title run and be great, but I think it's undeniable he's best in the underdog fighting the world role.

I agree with that. Had he stayed healthy, I think holding it until Summerslam would have been doable if they did it right. He keeps hold of the belt through matches with Orton/Kane, Wyatt & in the next few PPVs following Wrestlemania so HHH has to invoke the plan C of Brock anyway and Brock takes it clean. I would be assuming Brock wins that match regardless of the outcome, but goddamn, would I be hyped to see the actual match.

Everything we heard is that they were doing Bryan vs Brock at Summerslam, and they tried really hard to keep the title on Bryan when he was hurt to make that happen. The plans only changed when it became clear Bryan wouldn't be able to come back that soon.

In some weird way, they seem to have more faith in Bryan than they did with Punk. I don't know why, but it seems like it.

Malvingt2

Pushing the most over guy in the company is the opposite of a risk.

oh I get that but I do remember reading that they kind it regret pushing him because he got hurt when they needed him the most and how he was suppose to face Shamus @ WM but thanks to CM Punk walking out plan changed.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
They are giving Reigns the god push right now. It's literally perfect, and he's getting over with the fans. Just the way they've pushed the Shield in general since they came to the company is like a fucking alternate dimension where WWE actually knows what they're doing.

Punk and Bryan didn't even get a fucking fraction of the push Reigns is getting, even after proving they were over like mother fuckers.
That's not really true. Punk got the push. Punk's push was perfect too until HHH got involved. That's literally what killed it. Punk's chances of being the top guy went out the window way before his year long reign. As soon as he had his feud with HHH, it was over.

Don't be like that. Health always comes first. He did more appearances than anyone thought he would do during the Brock feud. As for Brock, he's a commodity. When you have someone on his level, you don't need to build story lines. Just have him show up and the rest will take care of itself.

I love Taker just as much as the next guy.. but health at his age is just an excuse. There comes a point where you have to be logical. That match featured a guy that barely had any in ring work for a year against another guy that in all rights should have won the match. Lesnar should have won... but the whole thing where the Take comes out and stares at you and points to the Wrestlemania banner (basically hand picking his opponet)... its done.

They have crazy talent and with the right writing could bump all of those guys to another level. Rusev is a beast... He could be the most hated man in wrestling. He needs to be handled very carefully.
Brey Wyatt is a bonified magician on the mic. He needs to be handled better.
I would love to write a script for a show. I promise it would be better than half the shit they put out now. The truth is... any of us in this forum could.

Aiii

So not worth it
I agree that Punk could have brought in a big audience. Cena's running the Children Farms - they're indoctrinated and brought in on a diet of Hustle (which is not taught) Loyalty and Respect. Punk's getting the outliers, and there's a lot. Well, he did get them. Cena's still running the Children Farms and bringing in a steady amount of kids and parents. It's foolish to NOT focus on kids, they're going to be your biggest potential demographic and build a foundation that encourages being a lifelong fan if you get to them early.

Outlying potential fans that Punk could reach float in and out, but if you compare that to a child that grew up on a diet of Never Give Up, they're always going to be a "better" customer than someone who just tuned in for Punk.

Thing is, we're now 8 years or so beyond the first kids Cena brought in. Those kids are now in their teens (hell, late teens, even). Had they build Punk up properly, the kids would have had someone to transition to beyond Cena.

Cena doesn't need title runs or main events to appeal to kids either. They could push another guy with a more "adult" appeal so that when the kids grow up they have someone they can like, because they sure as hell aren't going to be into Cena anymore.

Hell, if DC only had Superman and never had Batman, nobody would be reading their shit anymore.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Everything we heard is that they were doing Bryan vs Brock at Summerslam, and they tried really hard to keep the title on Bryan when he was hurt to make that happen. The plans only changed when it became clear Bryan wouldn't be able to come back that soon.

In some weird way, they seem to have more faith in Bryan than they did with Punk. I don't know why, but it seems like it.

omg that avatar is incredible

Patryn

I agree that Punk could have brought in a big audience. Cena's running the Children Farms - they're indoctrinated and brought in on a diet of Hustle (which is not taught) Loyalty and Respect. Punk's getting the outliers, and there's a lot. Well, he did get them. Cena's still running the Children Farms and bringing in a steady amount of kids and parents. It's foolish to NOT focus on kids, they're going to be your biggest potential demographic and build a foundation that encourages being a lifelong fan if you get to them early.

Outlying potential fans that Punk could reach float in and out, but if you compare that to a child that grew up on a diet of Never Give Up, they're always going to be a "better" customer than someone who just tuned in for Punk.

I'm not sure I'd say "better". I'd say "safer".

I don't think the WWE will ever go bankrupt on the Cena fan, at least for the foreseeable future, but I also think they'll never again touch true mainstream relevance and massive popularity on the scale of the Attitude era depending on them, either.

RP912

Banned
Punk was pretty much in the wrong decade imo. You would think after 2011 we would be heading into a good direction professional wrestling wise but we already see how that went :/

Anth0ny

I stayed for Punk, but I came back solely because The Rock appeared on Raw in February 2011.

This is me. I watched the Raw where Rock came back, and that was the first Raw I watched since Benoit. I didn't watch the weeks following, since I knew Rock wasn't going to be on the show, but I watched Mania. At that point I think I followed a wrestling Twitter or two.

Then the night of the pipebomb promo came, and I saw my twitter explode. Not just the wrestling twitters, but random gaming and sports twitter people, too. At the time, in Canada, Raw was on a 15 minute delay, so I tuned in just as he sat down at the top of the ramp.

Since then I watched Raw every week, or at least have been following the product weekly. That shit, followed by the classic at MITB, brought be back 100%.

Malvingt2

Imo he is not ready for that kind of push. He is very limited in the ring. His pacing is horrible and his mic skills... well..... :/

oh I get that but I do remember reading that they kind it regret pushing him because he got hurt when they needed him the most and how he was suppose to face Shamus @ WM but thanks to CM Punk walking out plan changed.
Eh they made lots of money off the Daniel Bryan story leading into Mania and they can still make money off the guy when he comes back. I don't think they're all that mad.

Cagey

Banned

Unlike Punk, Bryan is probably a lot more gung-ho about doing all the extracurricular posterboy Cena things needed to be on top and he's also likely not an asshole.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Eh they made lots of money off the Daniel Bryan story leading into Mania and they can still make money off the guy when he comes back. I don't think they're all that mad.

Bryan can have a hot return if they'll let him. It'll probably be The Beta King returning though instead, because that's his fanbase (in general)

Patryn

Unlike Punk, Bryan is probably a lot more gung-ho about doing all the extracurricular posterboy Cena things needed to be on top and he's also likely not an asshole.

Bryan also showed himself to be a bit more resilient. He got majorly misbooked the same way Punk did when the WWE decided to, for whatever reason, cut him out of his major angle and insert the Big Show instead, but he managed to bounce back in a way that Punk wasn't really able to after the Nash nonsense.

Then again, part of that may be that the fans refused to accept the substitution.

jmdajr

Yup. That shit matters to Vince. That's only reason Miz ever go to main event Wrestlemania.

Oh man, I didn't even think about that. Bryan talked in an interview a while back about that very thing. "A lot of people want John Cena's position but then when they're given a taste, they don't want it anymore. It's a grueling schedule. I live for it though, I love it."

It didn't even occur to me that he was probably alluding to Punk a little bit there.

jmdajr

Oh man, I didn't even think about that. Bryan talked in an interview a while back about that very thing. "A lot of people want John Cena's position but then when they're given a taste, they don't want it anymore. It's a grueling schedule. I live for it though, I love it."

It didn't even occur to me that he was probably alluding to Punk a little bit there.

Punk said so himself. He hates all that shit.

That's not really true. Punk got the push. Punk's push was perfect too until HHH got involved. That's literally what killed it. Punk's chances of being the top guy went out the window way before his year long reign. As soon as he had his feud with HHH, it was over.

And HHH was an upgrade from their original plan...

SS card:

1. Cena vs Brock

2. Orton vs Reigns

3. Rollins vs Ambrose

4. Rusev vs Swagger

5. Miz vs Dolph

6. AJ vs Paige

7. Steph vs Brie

8. Bray vs Jericho

Hogan dancing around, probably during Swagger match.

That's a big card for 3 hours, and leaving off Rhodes Bros, Cesaro, Usos, Kane, Sheamus and Bo Dallas. Usos vs Rybaxel is very possible or maybe a fatal 4 way. Would love to see Bo Dallas go after the US title so that someone actually does something with it. Dolph' s chase of the IC title us going to be great.

Too many 1v1s too. We need a tag match and some stips. Maybe Kane and Cesaro can team up since Cesaro isn't doing anything and is now a "HHH" guy.

Cagey

Banned
Yup. That shit matters to Vince. That's only reason Miz ever go to main event Wrestlemania.

They run a billion dollar enterprise, that shit has to matter. You're not going to put the best wrasslin dude in the world as your top dog if he doesn't want to assume all the responsibilities that come with being the poster child for a company of that size.

jmdajr

Random thing, do heel champs have the same schedule?

I think not. But at the same time Miz was doing all that and he was a HEEL. So really it depends.

But it's no joke when they talk about THE FACE of the company. A lot goes into it, not just having 5 star matches and getting pops.

I know another person that couldn't handle it was Eddie G. He said so in his book.

Hasney

Depends on the champion, but generally speaking no they don't.

Miz was probably the most active a heel champion has been in terms of media appearances.

That makes sense. I bet Punk was pushing to turn heel during his run in that case.

I think not. But at the same time Miz was doing all that and he was a HEEL. So really it depends.

But it's no joke when they talk about THE FACE of the company. A lot goes into it, not just having 5 star matches and getting pops.

I know another person that couldn't handle it was Eddie G. He said so in his book.

I bet that kind of schedule pushes anyone with alcohol/drug problems down that path again too, at least temptation. Easy way to cope with it.

Hasney

You know how we give people shit in OT for describing problems they have and not seeing a doctor? Well I'm about to do the same.

Something feels really off. I'm actually looking forward to TNA this week. What's wrong with me, WrassleGAF?

Shinya Hashimoto vs Satoshi Kojima - G1 Climax Semi-Final - (NJPW 1998/08/02)

This one's a lot of fun. Crowd are hot for Kojima to cause an upset and Hash gets mad when lariatooooo'd, which happens a lot.

Vince McMahon said:
Timeline correcting itself for the mistake of putting Heyman with him.

I don't buy that putting Cesaro with Heyman was a bad idea, it's the booking that's at fault - you can argue that Heyman's the only one getting heat, but that's entirely because Cesaro hasn't done a thing, inside or outside the ring, to indicate that he's the one you should be booing. Quite the contrary, the fans want to cheer Cesaro because in all of WWE's flailing attempts to find a place for him on the roster, the one thing they did manage to successfully convey is that he's a talented, exciting wrestler. Brock's exciting as well, but the fans (generally) won't cheer him over the face because he backs up his persona with his actions, whereas all Cesaro has to back up his persona and Heyman's words is his shit-eating grin. It's not enough.

I fucking hate Beyond sometimes

nofunallowed.jpg

Hasney

Did Austin ever do all the shit Cena does? Rock? Bret?

Austin & Rock did. Seemed like Austin was on every US talk show at one point and Rock always had that appeal anyway.

When Bret was on top, I think it was more limited due to the attention the business was getting in general.

jmdajr

Did Austin ever do all the shit Cena does? Rock? Bret?

I have no doubt that he did. We can always send questions to Steve Austin at SteveAustinPodcast.com or whatever it is.

I know he gets super defensive when people say Cena does not deserve that spot. He says people don't know what it takes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't buy that putting Cesaro with Heyman was a bad idea, it's the booking that's at fault - you can argue that Heyman's the only one getting heat, but that's entirely because Cesaro hasn't done a thing, inside or outside the ring, to indicate that he's the one you should be booing. Quite the contrary, the fans want to cheer Cesaro because in all of WWE's flailing attempts to find a place for him on the roster, the one thing they did manage to successfully convey is that he's a talented, exciting wrestler. Brock's exciting as well, but the fans (generally) won't cheer him over the face because he backs up his persona with his actions, whereas all Cesaro has to back up his persona and Heyman's words is his shit-eating grin. It's not enough.

It was weird. Heyman never delivered an incredible Cesaro promo. It was just a mistake. It made no sense. Totally booking. There's nothing WRONG with those two together but they did absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom