• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

RP912

Banned
They would have had to wait for the international version to be done then I would think . That way he could fully take it off of all the networks.

He should have waited period and debut the network all over the country. He would have made the goal and the network would have been fully welcomed instead of ridiculed.

Vince got too damn eager to release the network and been paying ever since for it.

I don't think so, not if you buy one of those prepaid debit cards that aren't tied to anything, right? Or like a prepaid VISA gift card?

I dunno, maybe it will? Anyone know?
The prepaid vanilla visa gift card doesn't work for signing up, maybe it's different if you sign up with a reloadable credit card but that's way too much hassle.

I'm expecting Vince to try anything to make the Network profitable except actually making a better product.

Well that's it to be honest. Do they even have to have a 24/7 'live' scheduled programming going? That must cost money to maintain, how many people even watch that? At this point it feels like a strange bastard child of the old WWE 24/7 Network and Netflix, only it doesn't provide the best of both worlds. They're still too controlling over their content and what they'll allow you to watch, and the stuff they do provide is too hidden away to find easily.

Navigation needs to be improved and basically just throw all your content on, it'll take people 50 years to watch it all anyway.

The network is great for just cherry picking all the great matches from over the years.

Imagine if they added a Playlists or Mylists where you could put together your own selection of favourite matches (and possibly share them?!). People would love that.

Heel

The fact that there's possibly more people who have given more than their very last dollar to subscribe to the Network than there are new subscribers speaks volumes of the Universe, and also proves that bean breath was right all along. WWE Network should've been accepting EBT card payments from the get-go. A huge oversight, and a misstep that could collapse the McMahon empire.

RP912

Banned
One thing about the network that's truly awesome....is wccw. I seen one episode and was blown away of how raunchy and silly the promotion was.

How you have a random brawl where officials try to cut it out....and still have a match afterwards involving people that were in the brawl?

The fact that there's possibly more people who have given more than their very last dollar to subscribe to the Network than there are new subscribers speaks volumes about the Universe, and also proves that bean breath was right all along. WWE Network should've been accepting EBT card payments from the get-go. A huge oversight, and a misstep that could collapse the McMahon empire.

To be fair it's pretty much exactly as Wade Barrett said it would happen

The network is flawed.

As a way to get PPV's direct from WWE in a cheap and easy way it is great.

The 24/7 Live feed is pointless.

The 6 month commitment is too much of a barrier of entry.

The Archive is cool but not a draw in a age of youtube and dodgy Dailymotion uploads of 20 year old VHS recordings that are "good enough" for most people.

WWE should offer some unique features. How about have wrestlers involved in the match come in and do a directors commentary over the match?

sheamus-darth-vader.jpeg

I have been enjoying fight pass a lot . Also great functionality. You can watch individual fights instead of scanning threwan event like on the network .

somedevil

Beautiful, talk about the carnie con-man finally getting hustled.

So what now, Vince crawls back and bends over to PPV providers in the U.S.?

You know that article is over a month old and the number is released tomorrow?

Another favorite talking point I love calling him a con man but continue to watch the product.

evil ways

WWE should offer some unique features. How about have wrestlers involved in the match come in and do a directors commentary over the match?

The lazy version of that is the Wrestlemania Rewind show, when they reuse old footage and interviews, and splice them together with filler comments from other wrestlers.

But a full on commentary session from both or at least one of the match participants should be mandatory in this day and age.

Penguin

The network is flawed.

The Archive is cool but not a draw in a age of youtube and dodgy Dailymotion uploads of 20 year old VHS recordings that are "good enough" for most people.

The problem is WWE is so damn protective of their image, which I get

But WrestleMania Rewind was great on paper, but for the most part tends to be fluff pieces and not real insight into what was going on at the time and real behind the scenes drama.

They nerfed Legends Roundtable by removing actual Legends and their crazy stories.

evil ways

You know that article is over a month old and the number is released tomorrow?

Another favorite talking point I love calling him a con man but continue to watch the product.

I don't see any relation between Vince being a carnie, out of touch conman and being able to enjoy a few matches every once in a while, especially for free.

Xater

The network is flawed.

The archive would be way cooler if it provided any form of context for the PPV matches. It's not like we a nice little video package for every feud back then.

The 24/7 live feed really is the most pointless thing. Who the hell watches that when you can just pick whatever you actually want to see?

RP912

Banned
I wish Vince would just cut the check on some of the music licenses so I can have ECW in it's purest form. I cringed seeing Mikey Whipwreck coming out to some bland stock video editing music instead of Loser by Beck.

Bowser

I wish Vince would just cut the check on some of the music licenses so I can have ECW in it's purest form. I cringed seeing Mikey Whipwreck coming out to some bland stock video editing music instead of Loser by Beck.

Vince ain't trying to cut anymore checks, he's trying to cut budgets.

Recall

The archive would be way cooler if it provided any form of context for the PPV matches. It's not like we a nice little video package for every feud back then.

That would be so much damn work though. WWE has always been self explanatory too meaning in a lot of cases it's just redundant.

This fucker has been following me on twitter for a few years.

I only have like 15 followers and he is one of them and I dont know why. I havent followed him back. LEAVE ME ALONE DEUCE!

ahahaha fuck this is hilarious to me. You should be honored to be followed by a former Tag Team Champion!

Xater

That would be so much damn work though. WWE has always been self explanatory too meaning in a lot of cases it's just redundant.

There is not just WWE though. There is also WCW and ECW. I have no context for basically any of the WCW stuff because I didn't watch it back then. Sure it would be a lot of work I am just saying that it would make it way better.

Oh my frick, dream. It's really happening.

Fricking heck, I shouldn't have updated my payment info when I switched banks. But the desperation in Lawler's eyes as he pleaded for subscriptions on Raw tells me they'd move heaven and earth to collect their money.

Why did I give them my shoot address? I would legit switch banks again if I wasn't afraid of them busting down my door Elian Gonzalez-style.

somedevil

I don't see any relation between Vince being a carnie, out of touch conman and being able to enjoy a few matches every once in a while, especially for free.

Vince is out of touch but I just find the use of the words carnie and conman funny. This topic is the only one I see who ever uses those terms.

Hope those matches are on dailymotion or youtube because watching Raw on USA or Hulu still means he is making money off of people.

jred2k

I'd love to read a Vince Russo written script. The amount of exclamation marks he would use after a swerve would take up their own line.

dream

Beautiful, talk about the carnie con-man finally getting hustled.

So what now, Vince crawls back and bends over to PPV providers in the U.S.?

God that would be great. I hope it happens and he's forced to join the cable company kiss my ass club in the form of a 20% PPV cut.

To me the biggest problem with the Network is that it feels like a fairly insipid execution of an idea at its most basic - they clearly envisioned a Netflix model with live broadcasts and original programming and that's great, that's fine, but it's also fairly unadventurous. For a company that loves telling you how socially active they are, it's not a very social application. There's no custom playlists, no sharing or viewing of content beyond the confines of your living room, no discussion or even a way to rate and see how the community rated said content. WWE's timid approach to what the Network actually is might not have been so underwhelming if only the application did its job well in the first place - but it doesn't. It's clunky, disorganised and isn't much help when trying to find a specific match. The player itself isn't that great, jumping backwards or forwards in an event is inaccurate, while the quality often varies wildly outside of live broadcasts (when, magically, the service seems to work without the slightest of otherwise all-too-frequent buffering). Lastly, there's no real context for anything, partly because there's so few TV episodes available as of yet, but also because nothing's linked - if you watch any of the vintage content on the Network when you're done it should automatically take you to the next event in the timeline.

jmdajr

Guess Chris is happy. His album debuted at No. 54 on the billboard charts.
Not a bad album if you like metal/rock music of the more catchy variety.

Xater

To me the biggest problem with the Network is that it feels like a fairly insipid execution of an idea at its most basic - they clearly envisioned a Netflix model with live broadcasts and original programming and that's great, that's fine, but it's also fairly unadventurous. For a company that loves telling you how socially active they are, it's not a very social application. There's no custom playlists, no sharing or viewing of content beyond the confines of your living room, no discussion or even a way to rate and see how the community rated said content. WWE's timid approach to what the Network actually is might not have been so underwhelming if only the application did its job well in the first place - but it doesn't. It's clunky, disorganised and isn't much help when trying to find a specific match. The player itself isn't that great, jumping backwards or forwards in an event is inaccurate, while the quality often varies wildly outside of live broadcasts (when, magically, the service seems to work without the slightest of otherwise all-too-frequent buffering). Lastly, there's no real context for anything, partly because there's so few TV episodes available as of yet, but also because nothing's linked - if you watch any of the vintage content on the Network when you're done it should automatically take you to the next event in the timeline.

Yeah that is another big issue. Either have chapters for everything or give me a player that actually allows me to find stuff by putting in time codes or just having a proper timeline.

Top Bottom