• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Aiii

So not worth it
So much wind, insane...
http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/65..._type_map=["fitness.bikes"]&action_ref_map=[]

Going strong.

---

Related to last nights Punk chants, hope you guys also caught AJ's response...
tumblr_n94gxv8DMO1rpzf9oo2_250.gif

I can try:

This has been buggin’ me for a bit so I’m going to talk about it.

Whenever more than three black wrestlers get in the ring on the same side suddenly everyone wants to go “OH MAN THEY NEED TO REMAKE NATION OF DOMINATION!”

I really don’t think the people who keep calling for a reboot of the Nation of Domination understand that it was originally made to be a HEEL stable and a joke making fun of the Nation of Islam movement taking place in the early 90s and that all of it’s members were meant to be outlandish characters of ‘militant black men’ and BLACK POWER archetypes. They did nothing but attack the white wrestlers for perceived slights against them in the name of BLACK POWER! and UNITY and this was treated as a bad thing and they were portrayed as heels because of it.

One of the most notable things that happened to the Nation of Domination is it’s feud with DX, the plucky rougeish face stable full of white guys who’s beef with Nation of Domination essentially devolved into “Stop being so offended! Lighten up!” and I’m gonna be that guy that pointed out that one of the biggest promos against them at the time featured the entireity of DX dressing up in black face and mocking The Nation.

After The Nation of Domination moved on from the ‘militant black people’ stable they just became different flavors of black foolishness in the WWE.

The Rock became what many would would call a Uncle Tom after he sided with the Corporation.

D’Lo Brown became this jive talking mini-thug

Kama Mustafa became The Godfather, a literal pimp.

Mark Henry became Sexual Chocolate

The rest of the members at that point (Farooq, Owen Hart, etc) had been phased out.

So think really hard about this.

Think really hard about how black wrestlers are pushed and portrayed in WWE today, almost two decades after Nation of Domination—A stable, in which I remind you again was made up to poke fun at a big issue with the black community at the time—was created.

Almost all of them are essentially “Boy that guy sure can run fast or jump high! He’s so athletic!” or they are gimmicked to being a jive talking, dancing, rapping, or hip-hop inspired gimmick. And then there is the old standby of being a bling bling sports ego.

PTP
Cryme Tyme
Kofi Kingston
MVP
Shelton Benjamin
R-Truth
Xavier Woods
Naomi
Cameron
Am I 100% against a New Nation of Domination? No. If booked right it could do for someone else what it essentially did for The Rock (and to a lesser extent Mark Henry) and propel them to a higher position and possibly build a main eventer. But WWE’s creative and booking process has proven time and time again since then that it can’t be trusted and I don’t see anything with the current run of how they run things that would make me endorse that.

So yeah, as much as I would love to see a stable full of the young black guys and girls they don’t NEED to be ‘The New Nation of Domination’. Whenever a a group of white wrestlers get together you don’t have people clamoring to call them the The New DX or The New n.W.o. They are just a new stable.

The glimmer of hope right now is that A: this nation will have some lineage back to the original and B: they will be the faces standing up for MURICA against big bad Rusev.

So, basically, so long as they don't fuck up the whole angle by having Rusev win (Booker T vs Trips comes to mind) it could actually help some of the talent like Kofi reach higher heights that previously.

Let's have a black WWE world champ, even if only for a few months. They should have done it with R Truth. I mean, would Kofi be that guy? Probably not, but look at some of the people who have carried the major belts (former champ The Great Khali for example).

I say have Kofi win the rumble. Why not? I mean he's a big part of why I want to watch any battle royal these days. If regularly being one of the most talked about people in the match can't earn you a win one time, what can?

Blah. I'm hoping to see some mic time given to the new nation. I'm hoping R-Truth live raps a take on the classic entrance theme. I'm hoping they get given more serious characters.

I'll probably be disappointed and it'll probably be another big wasted opportunity, but right now, the first step at least of putting them against Rusev, gives me some optimism.

jred2k

Has there ever been a major group of all/majority black wrestlers other than NoD? Not to say that legitimizes all black pairings being called NoD 2.0, but it's basically the only point of reference at this point.

Btw, Vince, if you don't regularly listen ot the Cheap Heat podcast I'd suggest you listen to last week's episode. It started with the author of that Atlantic article and had some really good discussion. They also spoke with Gail Kim and MVP about their experiences with race in pro wrestling.

Hasney

Farooq should have been world champ, King of the Ring 1997 he was so hot and they should have pulled the trigger.

Other than that, maybe an R-Truth transitional reign? Lashley probably would have been if Hayes didn't make him quit, they were high on him. Booker T clearly should have beaten Trips. The only other person in that list Vince posted that I think could even have gotten close would have been MVP.

Obviously Henry was WHC, but I don't think he was ever good enough for the main gold. Not a fan of his at all, but credit where it's due, guy busted his ass for over a decade.

Love what I've seen of Xavier so far. Guy can talk and he's had good matches in NXT. Let's see where it goes from here. Think the guy who's going to benefit most though is Kofi. Man, he's basically been the same guy since he started.

Hasney

Speaking of Macks, what happened to Rodney?

Also, Jason Jordan looks to have potential. Needs a bit of luck for he and his tag partner to have an injury free time though.

I can try:

This has been buggin’ me for a bit so I’m going to talk about it.

Whenever more than three black wrestlers get in the ring on the same side suddenly everyone wants to go “OH MAN THEY NEED TO REMAKE NATION OF DOMINATION!”

I really don’t think the people who keep calling for a reboot of the Nation of Domination understand that it was originally made to be a HEEL stable and a joke making fun of the Nation of Islam movement taking place in the early 90s and that all of it’s members were meant to be outlandish characters of ‘militant black men’ and BLACK POWER archetypes. They did nothing but attack the white wrestlers for perceived slights against them in the name of BLACK POWER! and UNITY and this was treated as a bad thing and they were portrayed as heels because of it.

One of the most notable things that happened to the Nation of Domination is it’s feud with DX, the plucky rougeish face stable full of white guys who’s beef with Nation of Domination essentially devolved into “Stop being so offended! Lighten up!” and I’m gonna be that guy that pointed out that one of the biggest promos against them at the time featured the entireity of DX dressing up in black face and mocking The Nation.

After The Nation of Domination moved on from the ‘militant black people’ stable they just became different flavors of black foolishness in the WWE.

The Rock became what many would would call a Uncle Tom after he sided with the Corporation.

D’Lo Brown became this jive talking mini-thug

Kama Mustafa became The Godfather, a literal pimp.

Mark Henry became Sexual Chocolate

The rest of the members at that point (Farooq, Owen Hart, etc) had been phased out.

So think really hard about this.

Think really hard about how black wrestlers are pushed and portrayed in WWE today, almost two decades after Nation of Domination—A stable, in which I remind you again was made up to poke fun at a big issue with the black community at the time—was created.

Almost all of them are essentially “Boy that guy sure can run fast or jump high! He’s so athletic!” or they are gimmicked to being a jive talking, dancing, rapping, or hip-hop inspired gimmick. And then there is the old standby of being a bling bling sports ego.

PTP
Cryme Tyme
Kofi Kingston
MVP
Shelton Benjamin
R-Truth
Xavier Woods
Naomi
Cameron
Am I 100% against a New Nation of Domination? No. If booked right it could do for someone else what it essentially did for The Rock (and to a lesser extent Mark Henry) and propel them to a higher position and possibly build a main eventer. But WWE’s creative and booking process has proven time and time again since then that it can’t be trusted and I don’t see anything with the current run of how they run things that would make me endorse that.

So yeah, as much as I would love to see a stable full of the young black guys and girls they don’t NEED to be ‘The New Nation of Domination’. Whenever a a group of white wrestlers get together you don’t have people clamoring to call them the The New DX or The New n.W.o. They are just a new stable.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I just don't see the point of it at all and I expect WWE to fuck it up majorly.

Why can't some of the black wrestlers join the Authority? Why can't a black wrestler be a Real American?

Aiii

So not worth it
Channeling the spirit of CM Punk.

But like I said earlier, it can't be easy working there no more.
For AJ? I dunno, she doesn't get along with the Bella's and vice versa, but other then that I guess she's fine. It was her dream job after all so I'm sure it wasn't dependant all on people like Kaitlyn and Punk being around. From Meltzer reports her backstage status wasn't impacted at all since Vince is high on her as a performer.

Was that the tweet that was taken down after going up? There was mention of a tweet in the article about racism.
Nah. That tweet is still up.

P.S. Vince McMahon aka Sunflower is an asshole for killing my hype. :(

But, you are right. I agree with everything you said.

Farooq should have been world champ, King of the Ring 1997 he was so hot and they should have pulled the trigger.

Other than that, maybe an R-Truth transitional reign? Lashley probably would have been if Hayes didn't make him quit, they were high on him. Booker T clearly should have beaten Trips. The only other person in that list Vince posted that I think could even have gotten close would have been MVP.

Obviously Henry was WHC, but I don't think he was ever good enough for the main gold. Not a fan of his at all, but credit where it's due, guy busted his ass for over a decade.

Love what I've seen of Xavier so far. Guy can talk and he's had good matches in NXT. Let's see where it goes from here. Think the guy who's going to benefit most though is Kofi. Man, he's basically been the same guy since he started.

The only character development Kofi has had in god knows how many years, was that they let him stop pretending to be Jamaican.

Heel

Did you all see Ziggy givin' up the daps and pounds to Flo Rida? I took it as subtle foreshadowing that Vince will be aligning him with The New Nation, perhaps using a white guilt gimmick.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's weird that you think Farooq should have been champ, but that Henry wasn't good enough for the main gold. Henry's better in almost every way than Farooq.
Did you all see Ziggy givin' up the daps and pounds to Flo Rida? I took it as subtle foreshadowing that Vince will be aligning him with The New Nation, perhaps using a white guilt gimmick.

Ziggler is Sunny?

jred2k

Also, does the NoD hold a special place in most black wrestlers/wrestling fans hearts? They actually had a group they could identify with during one of the largest periods in wrestling so I imagine it carries quite a bit of nostalgia for the young fans of that time.

Big title match signed for ROH's Field of Honor show;

jO7eheH.jpg

Well I enjoyed Bootaaay's 'Fun' wrestling show, you guys are too bitter and jaded.

LTaLNev.gif

On a completely different tangent, this gif reminded me of how much I actually liked Tenay & Don West on commentary. They had a lot of flaws, but dammit, they never phoned in the enthusiasm (until TNA turned to rot). You can't say the same about Cole & King.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They got rid of West as soon as he got entertaining, When he talked about 'Vel Vel.'

Their worst moments were their 'oh m ygoddd' moments. Like every Abyss match with a hardcore spot got a ' OH MY GODDDD NO NO NNO NO NO' like jfc mike, stop being such a mark.

Big title match signed for ROH's Field of Honor show;

jO7eheH.jpg

LTaLNev.gif

On a completely different tangent, this gif reminded me of how much I actually liked Tenay & Don West on commentary. They had a lot of flaws, but dammit, they never phoned in the enthusiasm (until TNA turned to rot). You can't say the same about Cole & King.
is phoned in enthusiasm inherently worse than ridiculous over enthusiasm over the lamest shit?

Sid

LTaLNev.gif

What is he so excited about?

I didn't realise how awesome Don West was until he was gone. Someone should write a song about that.

is phoned in enthusiasm inherently worse than ridiculous over enthusiasm over the lamest shit?

Yo Don West was stupid as shit but awesome at the same time
GO RED GO
Then he somehow became the manager for Amazing Red, then turned heel and started creeping on girls

All while being the main reason they sold so much goddamn merch during house shows

What is he so excited about?

VKM probably just made some lame jab at WWE. That or Abyss closelined someone.

:p

Sorry, but every time I have given TNA chance, every time, it has been terrible terrible terrible terrible. I can't not instantly crap on it whenever it comes up. I will never ever be able to believe anyone when they say 'No seriously, it's actually good now!' because I fell for that too many times.

Gorillaz

Also, does the NoD hold a special place in most black wrestlers/wrestling fans hearts? They actually had a group they could identify with during one of the largest periods in wrestling so I imagine it carries quite a bit of nostalgia for the young fans of that time.

we need to get in contact with their biggest fan to see what he thinks of all of this
Xdh6kP8.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member

You sure about that friend?

Evolution-Reformation of an old white guy stable that itself is a direct copy of the Four Horseman.

Shield- NWO like mainly white guy invasion trio.

New Nexus, Corre, Nexus- Mainly White, NWO style invasion.

Hell whenever the Four Horseman weren't around but Ric Flair and Arn were you'd have smarks and regular fans making the symbols all the damn time.

Also why do people always forget The Rock is black and was Champion just last year? Is it because he is rich and famous?

Sid

Sorry, but every time I have given TNA chance, every time, it has been terrible terrible terrible terrible. I can't not instantly crap on it whenever it comes up. I will never ever be able to believe anyone when they say 'No seriously, it's actually good now!' because I fell for that too many times.
Yeah I don't like it either except for a few of the earlier matches of Rooooooooo and some other random TNA people.

Here's a more interesting way of looking at a potential new black stable - is there a way of doing it that:
  1. Addresses the real problematic issues in pro wrestling
  2. Propels one or more black pro wrestlers to prominence
  3. Isn't booed by an audience full of entitled white douchebags

I'd like to think there is, I've heard that Xavier Woods is pretty bright so he and other POC on creative are taking this seriously.

Here's a more interesting way of looking at a potential new black stable - is there a way of doing it that:
  1. Addresses the real problematic issues in pro wrestling
  2. Propels one or more black pro wrestlers to prominence
  3. Isn't booed by an audience full of entitled white douchebags

I'd like to think there is, I've heard that Xavier Woods is pretty bright so he and other POC on creative are taking this seriously.

This is what I'm hoping for but I also know better.

The last time that I watched any sort of TNA, Dixie attacked Bully Ray wearing a fake beard and all black clothes.

Yeah I don't like it either except for a few of the earlier matches of Rooooooooo and some other random TNA people.

They have fantastic talent on the roster. That's the thing that annoys me the most. Any time someone I really like from the indies ends up at TNA it's a sad day for me. I've tried to enjoy their product, I really have. The people that run that thing don't know what the fuck they're doing.

I honestly think that all of the 'wall of shame' wrassle gaf guys could do better with that timespot on Spike and that talent.

Kornflayx

Mark Henry from the middle of 2011 onwards was pure gold. His feuds with Orton, Show and Bryan were fantastic. Also in my opinion Bryans best run in the WWE. Chickenshit heel Bryan = best Bryan

Gonzalez

Banned
Has there ever been a major group of all/majority black wrestlers other than NoD? Not to say that legitimizes all black pairings being called NoD 2.0, but it's basically the only point of reference at this point.

The No Limit Soldiers, son.

WHO-DEE-WHO!

I'd rather watch Hoodslam, All Wheels Wrestling, or Urban Wrestling Federation than ATTACK! Pro-Wrestling.

On the other hand, I'd rather watch ATTACK! than IWA-MS, so it's got that going for it.

Top Bottom