• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Zach

Guys, who is your least favorite wrestler of all time. I think I have to go with this guy:

Crush-Brian-Adams-Dead-Wrestler-WWF-WWE.jpg

Hercules looks bad. And not in the so over the top it's good sort of way.I guess that is to be expected with Ratner.

He went from wearing no wolf head to wearing it, and the back to not wearing it just in the short clip that aired on Fallon.

But it's the first blockbuster of the summer. Didn't you hear Fallon?

That did make me realize I haven't seen any movies this summer though. Just waiting for Boyhood to come to my town. Let's Be Cops looks fun too.

Guys, who is your least favorite wrestler of all time.

Hard to say, but they would have to meet this criteria:

1) Didn't wrestle in high school gyms or bingo halls
2) Never got a "this is wrestling" chant
3) Is well liked by WWE corporate

recipe for disaster

I was just working out and then I didn't feel like doing it anymore and then I remembered I had a John Cena shirt and then I put it on and then I finished my workout.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-

I think my extremely low expectations for Royal Rumbles are helping the event. This one was WACKY and I was surprisingly entertained from time to time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I watched all of WCW 1992 over three days and felt crazy afterwards and you've done most of everything 1993 in a week or ten days. You watch waay too much wrasslin. How do you do it???

jred2k

Guys, who is your least favorite wrestler of all time. I think I have to go with this guy:

I enjoyed him as a kid, but Ahmed Johnson would be my choice now. He's so slow and uncoordinated. And then he talks and it gets even worse.

^Zach is getting his god damn value out of the network.

Striker

'94 Rumble was entertaining because of the tag team match with Bret and Owen, followed up Bret's selling of the injury in the Rumble itself.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
1994 RR was good because all RR's are good, Maggle! You can watch them all for just 9.99 a month on the Network. 90% approval rating, higher than Netflix or Hulu Plus!

No seriously, All RR matches are good, the PPVs in 1993-1995 are...interesting to say the least. 1996 RR is great though.

Zach

I watched all of WCW 1992 over three days and felt crazy afterwards and you've done most of everything 1993 in a week or ten days. You watch waay too much wrasslin. How do you do it???

Did I really? I dunno, man. I work full-time. I'm a single dad half the time. I'm a homeowner and have a tidy house inside and out. I probably squeeze in, on average, an hour of gaming a day. I dunno how I do it. Must be my Vince McMahon-esque "work" ethic.

I enjoyed him as a kid, but Ahmed Johnson would be my choice now. He's so slow and uncoordinated. And then he talks and it gets even worse.

Haven't got to Ahmed in my chronological viewing, so no comment just yet. I remember him having an impressive look, though.

And I am getting my money's worth! It's funny. I could just have easily not even subscribed to the Network. I was really on the fence, but was like "aaaah, why not?" And then I got overwhelmed on what to watch and was like "F it, I'll just start from the beginning." Now the weirdo completionist in me has taken over and I can't stop. ALSO! You guys are always so doom-and-gloom about the Network being a failure, it makes me want to watch everything before it dies or something.

Anyway, I'm having a good time, so whatevs. :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hey Zach, what did you think of all the production and roster changes that happened between Starrcade 1992 and Superbrawl 3? Pretty jarring isn't it?

Zach

Hey Zach, what did you think of all the production and roster changes that happened between Starrcade 1992 and Superbrawl 3? Pretty jarring isn't it?

Was it? Is that when Jim Ross left? Bischoff had taken over or something? I can't remember, man, my brain is mush from all this wrestling!

The most jarring thing WCW-wise was most definitely Great American Bash 1991 after Flair left or was fired or whatever. Holy Christ.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Was it? Is that when Jim Ross left? Bischoff had taken over or something? I can't remember, man, my brain is mush from all this wrestling!

The most jarring thing WCW-wise was most definitely Great American Bash 1991 after Flair left or was fired or whatever. Holy Christ.

Yep, Bischoff is promoted over Ross and Schiavone who were the clear favorites for the job. Schiavone stays on while Ross leaves for the WWF. Bischoff is much better at convincing Turner to give him money and they start all those weird hollywood vignettes, also they bring in Jimmy Hart to make a bunch of rad ass themes for everyone. The camera work, lighting, pyro all get a huge boost in this era and I believe this is when they start filming at Disney. Going backwards it was extremely noticeable. One minute Schiavone and Jesse are calling a relatively modern looking PPV and the next its Jim Ross and Jesse and it doesn't look that much different from a WCCW show. Three tag belts! Four world titles! No going off the top rope unless suplexed! No pads outside the ring! Paul E! Freebirds! Greg Valentine! No Nasty Boys!

Getting to Ric Flair being fired soon, can't wait. The crowd reaction a year later when Bill Watts mentions him as the last NWA champion is crazy. They go completely silent and then start to turn on him as he hands the belt over to the New Japan promoter.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Probably Jeff Jarrett. I get very upset when he's around. I even liked his little MMA fighter gimmick, too. But I just can't stand him.

Guessing Stro will pick DOA.

KissVibes

Banned
Least favorite wrestler of all time?

Test.

Dude sucked. Most annoying theme of all time.

His big boot was pretty good, though.

Edit: Jarrett is also a good answer.

Heel

Jim Ross ‏@JRsBBQ 2h
Tomorrow is my last, legal day w/ @WWE It was a great 21 year run. Best biz decision ever was coming to WWE '93. Grateful to all involved.

rickyWrath ‏@rickywrath 44m
@JRsBBQ If you were to ever do UFC I'd have died and gone to heaven

Jim Ross ‏@JRsBBQ 41m
@rickywrath Maybe @danawhite throws an old dawg a bone. :) never know

IT'S CAIN! IT'S CAIN!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Harris Bros are just the 90's/00's version of The Nasty Boys, who did that shit in the 80's/90's/00's. Three decades of being awful. Their stranglehold over 1993-1995 WCW is worse than Hulkamania ever was.

Zach

Yep, Bischoff is promoted over Ross and Schiavone who were the clear favorites for the job. Schiavone stays on while Ross leaves for the WWF. Bischoff is much better at convincing Turner to give him money and they start all those weird hollywood vignettes, also they bring in Jimmy Hart to make a bunch of rad ass themes for everyone. The camera work, lighting, pyro all get a huge boost in this era and I believe this is when they start filming at Disney. Going backwards it was extremely noticeable. One minute Schiavone and Jesse are calling a relatively modern looking PPV and the next its Jim Ross and Jesse and it doesn't look that much different from a WCCW show. Three tag belts! Four world titles! No going off the top rope unless suplexed! No pads outside the ring! Paul E! Freebirds! Greg Valentine! No Nasty Boys!

Getting to Ric Flair being fired soon, can't wait. The crowd reaction a year later when Bill Watts mentions him as the last NWA champion is crazy. They go completely silent and then start to turn on him as he hands the belt over to the New Japan promoter.

Oh, yes. It's all coming back to me...

WCW was so awesomely dysfunctional.

Zach

Probably Jeff Jarrett. I get very upset when he's around. I even liked his little MMA fighter gimmick, too. But I just can't stand him.

Guessing Stro will pick DOA.

Jeff Jarrett (even though I was just recently into his incredibly cheesy Double-J debut promos >_>) and DOA are both acceptable choices, but I still feel my pick is head and shoulders below the rest, brahda.

Harris Bros are just the 90's/00's version of The Nasty Boys, who did that shit in the 80's/90's/00's. Three decades of being awful. Their stranglehold over 1993-1995 WCW is worse than Hulkamania ever was.

As terrible as the Nasty Boys are (and they are fucking terrible), they aren't skinhead fuckin nazi shits like the Harris brothers

Man God

Non-Canon Member
As terrible as the Nasty Boys are (and they are fucking terrible), they aren't skinhead fuckin nazi shits like the Harris brothers

If you're going to bring in the out of ring stuff then no question, you'd have to go with them or other despicable individuals, no problem.

I've been entertained by the Harris Bros before in a couple of their matches while I've never found joy in a single Nasty Boys match, even when they get clattered by someone.

Anth0ny

Stupid question: Is there anything stopping WWE from broadcasting house shows live on the network? Back in 1999, WWE would release "UK Pay Per Views" on VHS. They were basically house shows with a PPV name slapped on them. A lot of them didn't have top stars and weren't the same length as a regular PPV... but they put them out anyways.

Why not bring that back for the Network today? Why not stream the big MSG house show they do? It doesn't even have to be a huge, expensive production like a Raw or Smackdown. They already shoot those house shows for the titantron anyways, no? Throw some second tier commentary on there and you're golden.

Better yet, make that shit canon. Brag on Raw and Smackdown that Ziggler beat Miz for the IC Title at MSG last Friday and all the awesome fuckers who bought the Network got to see that shit. Better yet, houseshow ticket sales would probably go up when people realize they'd be "on TV!" and what is happening at those shows actually matter to a degree. Subscribe now!

I enjoyed his post-Demos face push as Kona Crush. Believe it or not, he was originally going to take the belt from Flair and become the face of the company, but a combination of A. the steroid trial B. him really not getting over C. his general suckage in the ring put a stop to that.

Stupid question: Is there anything stopping WWE from broadcasting house shows live on the network? Back in 1999, WWE would release "UK Pay Per Views" on VHS. They were basically house shows with a PPV name slapped on them. A lot of them didn't have top stars and weren't the same length as a regular PPV... but they put them out anyways.

Why not bring that back for the Network today? Why not stream the big MSG house show they do? It doesn't even have to be a huge, expensive production like a Raw or Smackdown. They already shoot those house shows for the titantron anyways, no? Throw some second tier commentary on there and you're golden.

Better yet, make that shit canon. Brag on Raw and Smackdown that Ziggler beat Miz for the IC Title at MSG last Friday and all the awesome fuckers who bought the Network got to see that shit. Better yet, houseshow ticket sales would probably go up when people realize they'd be "on TV!" and what is happening at those shows actually matter to a degree. Subscribe now!

The problem is that TV production costs are expensive out the ass. Hell, Smackdown probably costs half a million per episode to produce, Raw being live is twice that. For a company trying to keep costs DOWN, that's an expense that WWE really can't afford right now.

Not to mention the house show circuit is typically the same card on repeat over and over (and often features matches that will later be on PPV) and it gets rather repetitive and not very cost effective.

I do agree with the idea of televising the MSG shows (like MSG network did in the old days) though.

KissVibes

Banned
WWE should broadcast weird Ambrose-ran fights using a couple Logitech webcams on the network at random times.

Like Bumfights: Pro Wrestling Edition

You're watching The best of WCW when it just cuts into Ambrose on commentary and a bunch of greasy looking motherfuckers watching Justin Gabriel and Axel Riley beating each-other up in an old Sunday Night Heat ring for a bootleg hardcore belt.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Dude was fat and way way out of shape when he debuted in 1999.

Hard to believe that a show would end with the top face on the show celebrating a win. You would have HATED the 80s when shows ended with Hulk promos/music/celebrating even if he had a match to open the show or lost his match by count out/dq.
Of course I would have hated it. Wrestling as a TV product didn't get good until 96 or 97.

Nose Master

Here's a more interesting way of looking at a potential new black stable - is there a way of doing it that:
  1. Addresses the real problematic issues in pro wrestling
  2. Propels one or more black pro wrestlers to prominence
  3. Isn't booed by an audience full of entitled white douchebags

I'd like to think there is, I've heard that Xavier Woods is pretty bright so he and other POC on creative are taking this seriously.

Even if they did, they'd be buried by the Real Amurrican's in about a week. And the rednecks would cheer.

dream

So Sunny got back to me:

hey!

its $10 for every 4 minutes of regular chat
$50 for 10 minutes in lingerie and some skin (boobs)
$100 for 10 minutes and to see EVERYTHING.... i dont disappooint!

I have a dilemma now, friends.

As a member of the All Red Army, and a devout follower of our Queen, it's very hard to believe that Brother Cure has fucking terrible taste in literally everything else in life.

dream

Oh that's not the dilemma, Sunnyflower. What I'm wondering is how to maximize the exploitative value of my $100.

edit: Sharky knows what's up. My man.

Does Sunny look like a blimp again? She got back into amazing shape in 2007-2011, but I feel like she let it all go once it became clear she wasn't getting a WWE job back.

Top Bottom