• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

To be fair, there's only so much stuff about pro wrestling that can be discussed. Pick any era or fed and it's likely that a similarly small handful of topics were what most people went to. Maybe the topics are promotion-specific, but even then. Someone just today said one of these Japanese guys would be "cena-ing" if he won, for example.

I felt like this the other day when I was going through wrestling podcasts, everyone talks about the same things - the exact same things.

http://uk.ufc.com/event/FOX12#/fight

you are cordially invited to watch this event tonight, friends. there's a good chance Lawler gonna send Brown back to cocaine and cunt Guida could get his shit pushed in. magical night.

also, Julianna Lima looks like AJ 2 years after being married to Phil:

JuliannaLima_Headshot.png

haha damn I thought someone had photoshopped AJ as I was scrolling down.

Hasney

I felt like this the other day when I was going through wrestling podcasts, everyone talks about the same things - the exact same things.

The WWE really needs to give more talking points. I wish they just took the IC or US title sand brought it back to being the worker title like it was back in the 80s and gave it 20 minutes on Raw (or 2 other guys) each week for a match and just say go out and impress the crowd saying it's their opportunity, see if they connect with the match. At least then people would have an awesome match each week instead of waiting for Bryan to come back for the awesome TV matches to return.

zychi

Banned
Changing the look of a title isn't going to do anything for ratings. Combining titles isn't going to do anything for ratings. It hasn't been the WCW Championship since 2001. It was renamed the WHC even before the original unification. And then it was brought back because there were two brands and both needed their own title. And it stayed around because there were still technically two brands until 2011ish. And now they're unified. Having two physical belts really bothers you that much?

there's like 14 people on the roster, half of them have a belt. there's no need to have anything besides ic, wwe, diva and tag titles unlesss the roster gets bigger

e: smackdown hasn't been an actual show in yearrrrs, there's no need for it to have it's own "title" when you cant even fill a full show with matches.

there's like 14 people on the roster, half of them have a belt. there's no need to have anything besides ic, wwe, diva and tag titles unlesss the roster gets bigger

e: smackdown hasn't been an actual show in yearrrrs, there's no need for it to have it's own "title" when you cant even fill a full show with matches.

Yeah, I get this feeling too. The other issue I have is I think nearly everyone has held either the WHC or WWE Title at some point now too. There's no 'rotation' on the TV Roster, whereas I feel like back in the 80s, 90s and even early 00s the TV Roster was refreshed and rotated a fair bit to stop people from becoming stale.

Sometimes it was only a person moving up and down the card, sometimes it was them disappearing from TV for a while. It worked for me.

Ian Rotten allegedly assaults children at a show;

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/...aults-a-pair-of-pre-teen-children-during-show

Ian's response;

I need to address the situation that occurred at EPW on Thursday. During my match Thursday night when in the ringside area, not in the crowd, I felt a forearm to my lower back with a push from behind. At this point I turned around and reacted to it, told the person not to push me and pushed the person back. Honestly and truthfully I did not realize that it was a young girl. For this, Lisa Still, I truly do apologize. Then, your little one DID hit me and I did ask him who the fuck he thought he was to hit me. When I was up in his face telling him to hit me, I would give him the first shot, that on my part was purely interaction with him and I will not apologize for doing my job. I did not touch him in any shape, form or fashion. As far as my actions with your daughter, I don't know who's harmless and who isn't harmless. Trust me when I say fans of all ages can be dangerous. One time in Texas I was stabbed by a 70+ year old woman. Certainly not saying your daughter is anything like that, just saying that where I come from.

As far as my sons actions towards you, well, he's a grown man now. He's 18. I do apologize for his harsh words towards you. I will have a talk with him about the situation. I truly do believe this has been blown out of proportion. I certainly did not hurt the young lady in question... Which this doesn't make it any more right, but I do wish this could have been nipped in the bud on Thursday night. Maybe all this could have been avoided if both of us had a little tighter leash on our kids. I have read that you enjoyed the show up until this incident, I apologize that we have soured your opinion and your experience with Indie Wrestling. That is the last thing I want to do to any new fan, or any fan period. One thing I find odd, is you know my real name, you know my Facebook, but you do not contact me personally to try and work this out. Then again, that's your way of handling things in which I hope you will personally contact me in hopes that we can squash this. I think you will find that I am not the person you think I am. Once again, I do apologize to your daughter. Someone please tag her in this, she's not on my friends list.

Hasney

Because Mr. R Rating is much better than the Rated R Superstar

Well his match on Day 2 was pretty damn good.

Oddly looking forward to seeming how Davey Boy Jr is these days, guessing I shouldn't build myself up too much though. Didn't realise he was only 28, got a good shot of getting back into WWE if he does improve.

Loving Naito so far.

strobogo

Banned

There are 5 titles. WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Intercontinental Championship. US Championship. Divas Championship. Tag Team Championships. There are around 50 active wrestlers on the main roster.

At one point in the 90s they had WWF, IC, Tag Team, Hardcore, European, and Light Heavyweight. During the Invasion, they had all those plus WCW, WCW US, WCW Cruiser, and WCW Tag. For most of the brand split, they had WWE, IC, Tag Team, World Tag Team, US, Womens, and Cruiser.

5 titles, 4 of which are exclusive to men, isn't that many for a roster of 50 people or more. IC and US will probably be unified at some point, bringing it to 3 titles for the men, which is how it was before 1997. There is only ONE more title than there was in the Golden Era. I don't see the problem besides mid card title holders being booked to lose all the time.

Also, Smackdown DOESN'T have its own title. It hasn't since 2011 or 2012. When the brand split ended. All titles are for all shows and the WHC and WWE Championship are unified.

World Title doesn't count because it was the upper midcard belt at the end of its run.

Former WWE Champions on the active roster:

John Cena (12) (Top guy in company)
Randy Orton (8) (Considerably less over than at any point in the last 5 years)
Daniel Bryan (3) (Injured)
Alberto Del Rio (2) (Not a star)
The Miz (1) (Intercontinental champion, not a star)
Sheamus (2) (US Champion, not a star)
Brock Lesnar (3) (Challenging John Cena for the WWEWHC)
Big Show (hasn't been on TV in months, mild star)
Kane (good god why is he in main events)

Part-timers:
RVD (done nothing since returning)
Chris Jericho (will job to wyatt)
Brock Lesnar (challenging Cena at Summerslam)
Triple H

Now, I'm not here to say that it's been protected like it should have, but that's a much more exclusive list than people make it out to be. The staleness has little to do with the title, and more to do with pushing Randy Orton and John Cena and refusing to push anyone else beside them for any length of time.

zychi

Banned
There are 5 titles. WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Intercontinental Championship. US Championship. Divas Championship. Tag Team Championships. There are around 50 active wrestlers on the main roster.

At one point in the 90s they had WWF, IC, Tag Team, Hardcore, European, and Light Heavyweight. During the Invasion, they had all those plus WCW, WCW US, WCW Cruiser, and WCW Tag. For most of the brand split, they had WWE, IC, Tag Team, World Tag Team, US, Womens, and Cruiser.

5 titles, 4 of which are exclusive to men, isn't that many for a roster of 50 people or more.

Also, Smackdown DOESN'T have its own title. It hasn't since 2011 or 2012. When the brand split ended. All titles are for all shows and the WHC and WWE Championship are unified.
they have way more shows now, and less talent. raw is 3 hours, main event and smackdown are two matches and a recap show. i honestly didnt know who has the us title. i had to google it since ambrose lost it.

its not the 90s. its never going to be the 90s again. there is barely enough story to fill out a 3 hour show every week. they write it last minute, and show more replays then an nfl game. we dont need half of the titles.

put it this way, does nxt need a us, ic, and hardcore championship now? no?

neither does raw.

World Title doesn't count because it was the upper midcard belt at the end of its run.

John Cena (12)
Randy Orton (8)
Daniel Bryan (3)
Alberto Del Rio (2)
The Miz (1)
Sheamus (2)
Brock Lesnar (3)

Now, I'm not here to say that it's been protected like it should have, but that's a much more exclusive list than people make it out to be. The staleness has little to do with the title, and more to do with pushing Randy Orton and John Cena and refusing to push anyone else beside them for any length of time.
You might as well cut that list in half, as no one expects Miz, Sheamus, or Del Rio to hold it ever again

John Cena (12)
Randy Orton (8)
Daniel Bryan (3)
Alberto Del Rio (2)
The Miz (1)
Sheamus (2)
Brock Lesnar (3)

How could you forget Kane :'( Then there's Big Show, Chris Jericho, RVD & Triple H on Raw too (Batista was too). In fact, nearly everyone on RAW has held the damn title! Even JBL!
Poor Soulplaya.

Hasney

Sometimes it's just so hard to believe that this is the company that gave us the attitude era.

Team of 2 writers and Vince Vs Large creative staff with no real direction and a Vince who's even older and more out of touch. It may as well be two different companies.

Unrelated:

tumblr_n8h693L9a91rka1sjo1_400.gif

bjork

The attitude era ruined what WWF was, and pro wrestling in general. There's no way for it to go back to a simpler and tighter production now.

Unless they get their asses sued off, lose a ton of money and have to start all over again. Won't wish for it, mind you.

Sid

The attitude era ruined what WWF was, and pro wrestling in general. There's no way for it to go back to a simpler and tighter production now.

Unless they get their asses sued off, lose a ton of money and have to start all over again. Won't wish for it, mind you.
Why would they get sued?

Why would they get sued?

The Law Office of Robbins Arroyo LLP Announces that It Has Filed a Class Action Lawsuit Against World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.

SAN DIEGO & WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind., July 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Shareholder rights law firm Robbins Arroyo LLP announces that it has filed a federal securities class action lawsuit on July 25, 2014, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut (the "Court"), on behalf of all persons who purchased or otherwise acquired World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. ("WWE" or the "Company") WWE -1.82% securities between October 31, 2013 and May 16, 2014, inclusive (the "Class Period"), against the Company and certain of its officers and directors for, among other things, violations of section 10(b) of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 (the "Exchange Act") and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Rule 10b-5 promulgated thereunder. The complaint seeks relief on behalf of the named plaintiffs and all other similarly situated shareholders of WWE during the Class Period. The named plaintiffs are represented by Robbins Arroyo LLP.

WWE Is Accused of Making False and Misleading Statements Concerning the Company's Ability to Double the Value of Its U.S. Television License Agreement

The complaint arises out of false and misleading statements regarding the ability of the Company to transform its earning profile through, among other things, the negotiation of a lucrative long-term television deal. The complaint alleges that, during the Class Period, certain of WWE's officers issued materially false and misleading statements regarding the Company's ability to command a premium fee in upcoming negotiations to renew its television license agreement. Specifically, defendants caused WWE to issue false and misleading statements in public filings, press releases, and conference calls where they publicized their ability to renew their television license agreement at double the value in upcoming negotiations. These statements downplayed the fact that advertisers pay less to reach WWE viewers than traditional sports or other shows on the USA Network and the negative impact on the television license negotiations resulting from the Company's launch of its WWE Network.

WWE's Stock Price Drops on News of the New Television License Agreement Value

On May 15, 2014, after the market closed, the Company issued a press release that it had reached a multi-year deal with NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment increasing the value of the U.S. television license agreement by $57 million, or 50%. Upon this announcement, on May 16, 2014, WWE stock dropped over 43%, from $19.93 to close at $11.27. The omitted and/or misrepresented information is believed to be material to potential WWE shareholders' ability to make an informed decision whether to purchase WWE stock.

If you purchased or otherwise acquired WWE stock during the Class Period and wish to serve as lead plaintiff, you must move the Court no later than sixty days from July 25, 2014. If you wish to discuss this action or have any questions concerning this notice or your rights or interests, please contact attorney Darnell R. Donahue of Robbins Arroyo LLP at 800-350-6003, via the shareholder information form on our website, or by e-mail at info@robbinsarroyo.com . Any member of the Class may move the Court to serve as lead plaintiff through counsel of their choice, or may choose to do nothing and remain an absent Class member.

strobogo

Banned

they have way more shows now, and less talent. raw is 3 hours, main event and smackdown are two matches and a recap show. i honestly didnt know who has the us title. i had to google it since ambrose lost it.

its not the 90s. its never going to be the 90s again. there is barely enough story to fill out a 3 hour show every week. they write it last minute, and show more replays then an nfl game. we dont need half of the titles.

neither does raw.

WWE had a lot of shows in the 80s/90s, too. Superstars, All American, TNT (although not even a wrestling show), Prime Time, Wrestling Challenge, with SNME specials sometimes up to 4 or 5 times a year.

In the 90s they had Raw, Action Zone, Superstars, Mania, Shotgun, Heat, All American for a bit, Challenge into 1995. They've always put out a lot of weekly content. It's not really a new thing.

If you get rid of half the titles, there are only 5 titles. 4 for men. That's not too many. Combine the US and IC and you take it back to the traditional 3 title set up.

NXT doesn't need 5 championships because it is a one hour weekly show. The main roster has 2-3 main shows, PPVs, and Superstars.

I bought some WWF comic that Mick Foley helped write, here John Cena is a cop framed for a crime he didn't commit and CM Punk is like Batman. I'm only like ten pages in, but holy shit this thing is ridiculous.

Funny I saw this at B&N this morning. I'm surprised they don't advertise this shit on TV.

It's all about competition. If WWE had competition we would have a better product just like everything else in this world without competition. But once they know they are the only game in town they just stop giving a shit because not enough people will just stop watching and they know this. There would have to be a massive drop in ratings and network subscriptions to think anything would change.

So basically this is WWE. Then. Now. Forever.

bjork

neither does raw.

You present the real problem here, but it isn't the belts. It's the show's format. No weekly show needs to be three hours, but they could fill the time with actual wrestling instead of skits and people walking to the ring. They could make people interested in a feud involving a belt if they weren't busy hyping some other shit unrelated to the match in the ring. They could do a lot of things. Not that they will, but they could. Maybe not even they, as in who's actually there writing now, but a different they.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like me some diving headbutts, some guillotine legdrops, and some diving knee drops.

I'll always mark for a good one of those or an elbow drop or even a splash over a 450 or a pheonix splash or a ar fox spinning balet twirl corkscrew ddt.

You present the real problem here, but it isn't the belts. It's the show's format. No weekly show needs to be three hours, but they could fill the time with actual wrestling instead of skits and people walking to the ring. They could make people interested in a feud involving a belt if they weren't busy hyping some other shit unrelated to the match in the ring. They could do a lot of things. Not that they will, but they could. Maybe not even they, as in who's actually there writing now, but a different they.

There's far more wrestling on TV during RAW than there was at the height of the Attitude Era. There's a decent to good match at the very least on almost every RAW, Smackdown, and Main Event, and almost every other week, there's a bonafide great match.

The in-ring product, bluntly, is probably the best it's ever been, company wide. Maybe the Smackdown Six or early 2000 era was even better for a small segment of the card, but top to bottom, there's better work going on, even in lower card matches. Again, I'm not saying the booking is good, but the idea there isn't enough wrestling on the show is insane as somebody who lived through the Attitude Era.

Also, if you guys want podcasts that don't just go over the latest RAW or Smackdown, listen to Titans of Wrestling (old late 70's-early 80's WWF), Where the Big Boys Play (going through the WCW/NWA PPV's and Clash's chronologically), Wrestling Culture (a variety of different things, including great shows on the greatness of Andre the Giant, lucha, and so on), and the Pro Wrestling Super Show (random ECW PPV's, Wrestling Spotlight on guys like Chris Adams and Ted DiBiase, etc.).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rey Mysterio Jr. vs The Juicy Juicy Juicy Juice (WAR 1996)
juvireycr8zk7e.gif

juicylego4zw1.gif

Rey's mask has eyes in them instead of his eyes being exposed. He kind of looks like Lizmark. I kinda like it. Juicy Juicy Juicy Juice's mask looks like his mom made it. She probably did. Crowd gets real hyped for Rey's headscissors takedown. Despite having a mask on, Juicy Juicy Juicy Juice is a lot less sloppy in this match than a ton of his WCW work. It's actually a slower match than the usual Rey/Juicy Juicy Juicy Juice, with the Juice trying to do some technical moves that are kinda eh. Juicy Juicy Juice makes up for it with a sweet crucifix sitdown powerbomb though. He then goes for another, and it doesn't turn out so well.

6:46 will also get you a nice "WHAT THE FUCK'
ZoQETsw.jpg

Weird mask.

BONUS: Kenzo Suzuki is so rotten that he gets booed by his home country while they cheer the fuck out of Eddie.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was there really never a major Eddie/Vince angle? That just seems like a perfect match-up. Someone who can really draw off Eddie's babyface heat, and someone who can really enrage Vince and easily help him through a good match.

Remember that time Undertaker kicked out of two Guerrero frog splashes in a row? But everyone pisses themselves about some Hulk Hogan getting up from Savage elbow drops instead.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Was there really never a major Eddie/Vince angle? That just seems like a perfect match-up. Someone who can really draw off Eddie's babyface heat, and someone who can really enrage Vince and easily help him through a good match.

1257897_o.gif

I don't think this would be as good with Vince. Mostly because it's something I already expect him to do.

Hasney

So I downloaded this thing called Booking Revolution on Android and ended up paralysing Sting in my first match. He kept saying it was too hardcore, but it's not a match unless they go through the steel steps, an iPad, a sheet of glass all teetering on a table.

The fans rated it *

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember how you guys were saying the one cool, original thing Cena did was how he wore both titles
cll062v.jpg

bwomp bwomp bwooooomp

strobogo

Banned
So I downloaded this thing called Booking Revolution on Android and ended up paralysing Sting in my first match. He kept saying it was too hardcore, but it's not a match unless they go through the steel steps, an iPad, a sheet of glass all teetering on a table.

The fans rated it *

Is it like EWR/TEW for phones and tablets? I've thought for years how that dude is missing out not making a mobile version. It'd probably work better with a touch screen and be an excellent game to play while in the bathroom or a break at work, or during work if you're Sunny, or on the train/plane.

Hasney

Is it like EWR/TEW for phones and tablets? I've thought for years how that dude is missing out not making a mobile version. It'd probably work better with a touch screen and be an excellent game to play while in the bathroom or a break at work, or during work if you're Sunny, or on the train/plane.

Nah, it's quite different. You create a character to be the booker who can also be booked in matches, actually wrestle the matches and try to make good matches as well as booking the card, hiring staff and keeping the talent happy. The gameplay isn't even great in ring, but the booking putting on hardcore matches Boots would be proud of is quite fun. Worth trying out since it's free and ad-supported, or $4.99 to kill the ads.

Just signed Bray Wyatt and Bubba Ray came to me and said he found new music.

EDIT: Also like how the AI tries to help make the match more exciting, like Tazz was telling me to get on the announce desk and that I should go over.

Alucard

Banned
At a wedding today. Refrained from deep fried appetizers going around and just had two carrots and baby tomatoes instead. Drinking water n gonna minimize alcohol intake. Feeling good, bros.

Top Bottom