• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Gorillaz

She comin' back to Tulsa
I'll send you a postcard
in3nfGQ2IbsiH.gif

good enough for me

gurudyne

End of an era. No more "What's X doing in the IMPACT Zone?!" jokes. No more....hmm...

So what's this make that third news item? Just Vince buying them out?
SWERVE: Triple H buys them out, NXT + TNA: Invasion 2

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Came here for the breaking wrestling news, left due to dumb Scott Pilgrim gifs. Horrendous movie.

Spike hates him and the show he produced when he was around. TNA SECRETLY hired him back. That's some shady shit.

If they hid that shit from even SPIKE, then yeah they're toast and they deserve it. That'd be fucking stupid though. Nobody is worth all that headache, especially a writer who's glory days were in freaking 1998

Because that's all writers do on the internet. They make torn quad jokes and blame Russo for everything.

DAMN YOU RUSSO DON'T HIT ME WITH THAT GUITAR

Ya dipshits, is this where you learned about it? From a children's movie? Get on my level, dorks.

I've known about that for decades! DECADES!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So what's this make that third news item? Just Vince buying them out?
SWERVE: Triple H buys them out, NXT + TNA: Invasion 2

Remember in Game of Thrones where they lined up all those dudes for Mountain to kill?
BrockLesnar_original.jpeg

No other knight in the realm inspires such terror in our enemies.

Patryn

Let me say that I can't see the WWE buying them unless it's for an absolute pittance. Especially this week if the network numbers are bad. The shareholders would likely freak out at spending money for a dead company.

But honestly, what channel? Fox for one of their sports channels? I just don't see it. If the WWE doesn't have an attractive audience, I'd hate to see what the networks think of TNA's audience.
To be honest, fox sports 1 makes sense, just formed channel and can use more new programming to fill the time. WGN also makes sense to me since they wanted to get into the wrestling market, but superstars flopped because WWE didn't care about it.

They are not going to get anything but a Friday or Saturday spot wherever they go.

Double J has a no compete clause that precludes him from making a deal with Spike, that's why he tried to buy TNA last year.

But with Spike breaking ties with TNA they may be interested in picking up Jarrett's promotion. He can't talk to Spike while TNA is in negotiations but is free to do so once their relationship is over.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Spike was literally their only source of real income. They lost money on house shows and PPVs and their merch and dvd sales have to be almost nothing.

They need a Spike-level deal to subsist. It's pretty much over.

Not really, just cut out house shows, and they would end up being profitable now that they've cut all the expensive talent. Also, refocus on good in ring action and go back to a monthly ppv model. They still have to honor their overseas tv deals and talent contracts.

Let me say that I can't see the WWE buying them unless it's for an absolute pittance. Especially this week if the network numbers are bad. The shareholders would likely freak out at spending money for a dead company.

I can't imagine it being that expensive. The Caters probably want it gone, and it adds more content to the network.

Not really, just cut out house shows, and they would end up being profitable now that they've cut all the expensive talent. Also, refocus on good in ring action and go back to a monthly ppv model. They still have to honor their overseas tv deals and talent contracts.

You cut out house shows and a lot of the talent will leave. They don't need to honor anything, they can call it a day whenever they want.

Heel

Double J has a no compete clause that precludes him from making a deal with Spike, that's why he tried to buy TNA last year.

But with Spike breaking ties with TNA they may be interested in picking up Jarrett's promotion. He can't talk to Spike while TNA is in negotiations but is free to do so once their relationship is over.

Yeah, curious of the technicalities of this non-compete. Surely they can make a deal at some point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Spike about to put NJPW on the air.

Deal w it Soulplaya. It'll still be more successful than TNA.

And Jim Ross will commentate it.

Deal w it Sunflower.

And that's why they stopped doing iPPVs.

Deal w it Bronson.

And Spike is going to make Shibata the champion and the new face of wrestling

Deal w it Boootaaaaay.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm not a fan of the NJPW current product.

But if they were on Spike every week with JR and CM Punk commentating?

Hell I'd watch CZW or Roller Jam called by those two.

No, he was actually right. They did weekly PPVs, they did Fox Sports Net, they did online shows, and they've done Spike for too long. Going back to any of the old stuff after blowing all that money would sink them in addition to being mentally underwhelming at too great a cost for even the Carters.

If they can't find a major network, it's over. And seeing as how the major networks wouldn't even go to WWE...well, let's just say keep the gravestone near.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sakuraba makes his glorious return to MMA by winning whatever fucking title he would win from UFC. Shibata wins IWGP.

Laughter7 is the new Power Trip. And Brock turns on WWE to side with them, a la Hogan. It has been written.

No, he was actually right. They did weekly PPVs, they did Fox Sports Net, they did online shows, and they've done Spike for too long. Going back to any of the old stuff after blowing all that money would sink them in addition to being mentally underwhelming at too great a cost for even the Carters.

If they can't find a major network, it's over. And seeing as how the major networks wouldn't even go to WWE...well, let's just say keep the gravestone near.

Pretty much. TNA started with big plans, and when the weekly PPVs bombed out, they sold to the Carters, budgeted accordingly, and did FSN for a bit. When they got cancelled, they did online shows (in freaking 2005, so very novel), had some great shows, then got on Spike and went from there.

Their house shows were actually profitable and merch was doing well for them when Don West was there, but that's because Don West is a merchandise selling god. When he left, that shit started to bottom out.

And now here we are.

dream

I guess ultimately I don't think enough about TNA to really care about their demise. I'm so excited about Thursday though. I think 350k is my markout number.

Heel

Viacom buys stake in GFW, hires Jim Ross and airs some good honest country wrasslin'. Bah Gawd, that's a future I can get behind.

Heel

I guess ultimately I don't think enough about TNA to really care about their demise. I'm so excited about Thursday though. I think 350k is my markout number.

When do the 6 month commitments expire? That's truly when the smarks let the bottom fall out of this business.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
The only out of nowhere solution I could even possibly imagine is something crazy like Netflix buying TNA.

Huh, that is actually a really interesting scenario. I suppose that could happen, would it bring anything new to Neflix though? Would they set it up like the WWE Network and allow access to all past shows/PPVs? That would be neat. If that happened would the WWE keep comparing the Network to Netflix?

The only out of nowhere solution I could even possibly imagine is something crazy like Netflix buying TNA.

Holy shit hahahhaaha, that's actually a novel idea, considering they'd like to have sports at some point.

...Oh god even wrestling isn't safe from the 'Netflix please save X cancelled show' bug

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Huh, that is actually a really interesting scenario. I suppose that could happen, would it bring anything new to Neflix though? Would they set it up like the WWE Network and allow access to all past shows/PPVs? That would be neat. If that happened would the WWE keep comparing the Network to Netflix?

Netflix is downright thirsty for content and they make deals for staggering amounts just to loan content when I'm sure they could just write a check and get the entire library for not much at all, hell they could probably have them tape shows and tour and not really notice the expense. Content is king.

Top Bottom