• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Zach

B+. A lot of flippy dippy. Early on I thought I was going to be disappointed, but their athleticism prevailed. Not a lot in terms of storytelling, but that's a triple threat for ya. And I was probably most impressed by Kota Ibushi, whom I've never heard of in my life.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more. Still way more excited about KENTA, though. I remember watching some videos, I dunno, five years ago and liking him a lot.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
B+. A lot of flippy dippy. Early on I thought I was going to be disappointed, but their athleticism prevailed. Not a lot in terms of storytelling, but that's a triple threat for ya. And I was probably most impressed by Kota Ibushi, whom I've never heard of in my life.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more. Still way more excited about KENTA, though. I remember watching some videos, I dunno, five years ago and liking him a lot.

Ibushi is one of my favorites. Worth looking up pretty much anything he's done. He had a killer run in 2013 and 2014 until the massive concussion tragedy that kept him out of the G1 :( Definitely watch his stuff with bigger dudes as well, not all Jrs types.

Gorillaz

Other then the crowd being the smarks they are, I don't remember too many people shooting about it. I can kind of see Heyman do it because it's Heyman but Cena is a surprise I guess he wanted to join in on it

Tna's video library would be a great pickup for the network.

Yeah yeah save the jokes, there's still plenty of great matches to go back and watch.

Wwe is the only entity to ever bid on these things so unless spike retains the right it should happen should tna go under.

Son Of D

Orlando Jordan got an extremely over the top bisexual gimmick, a version of which he'd been pitching to WWE before he was fired from there. This included such segments as him pouring semen-like liquid on himself, descending from the top of the arena wrapped in caution tape and talking dirty to a cardboard cutout of Rob Terry. Jordan, who is bisexual in real life, defended the gimmick by saying that he hoped it would "help troubled teens." Of course, it had the opposite effect.

Oh boy.

Zach

Ibushi is one of my favorites. Worth looking up pretty much anything he's done. He had a killer run in 2013 and 2014 until the massive concussion tragedy that kept him out of the G1 :( Definitely watch his stuff with bigger dudes as well, not all Jrs types.

Well. To Wikipedia I go.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well. To Wikipedia I go.

Bootaaay can dig up a jiff for you if you like. Basically got knocked in the head so fucking hard by KUSHIDA that it rang his bell really hard. I call it a tragedy because I wanted Ibushi in the G1 very badly....but Honma has been really great as his replacement. So I shouldn't whine.

Zach

Oh, and while I'm dabbling in Japanese wrestling: how is it doing over there? Are they in a slump similar to American wrasslin' or is it doing well compared to the '90s boom period we had in the States? Folks seem to take it a lot more seriously over there, so I'm curious.

Bootaaay can dig up a jiff for you if you like. Basically got knocked in the head so fucking hard by KUSHIDA that it rang his bell really hard. I call it a tragedy because I wanted Ibushi in the G1 very badly....but Honma has been really great as his replacement. So I shouldn't whine.

Nah, I'm good. Thanks.

Zach

From Ibushi's wiki:

On June 25, 2006, he lost to Danshoku Dino in a match for the GAY World Anal Championship and spent most of 2006 competing in multiple tag team matches.[6]

Umm, guys...

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Hey guys, just got out of work and...

TNA IS DEAD

RRvIZ.gif

What Dixie Said
By Spider and Alucard and Not Death Cab

And it came to us then
That every plan
Is a tiny prayer to father time

As we stared at our shoes
In the IWC
That reeked of Russo and menageri

And we rationed our breaths
As we said to ourselves
That we'd already watched too much thursday

As each descending peak
On the ratings
Took TNA a little farther away from we
Away from we

Amongst the empty seats
And year old WWE script sheets
In a zone where we only say goodbye

It sung like a violent wind
That our memories depend
On a faulty camera in our minds

And I knew that you were truth
We would rather loose
Than to have never lain beside at all

And we looked around
At all the eyes on the ground
As the TV entertained itself

Cause there's no comfort in the waiting room
Just nervous paces bracing for bad news
And then Spike comes round
And #TNAtion lifts their head
But I'm thinking of what Dixie said

That love is watching TNA die

So who's gonna watch TNA die

ND806.gif

Fuck this dumb earth. Weekly televised wrestling is now 100% terrible.

Did someone say Danshoku Dino?

iVO36NaxzUTw2.gif

ib0F8lf2a0OX7Z.gif

dino.gif

i9NqKgB1RtRSZ.png

Oh, and while I'm dabbling in Japanese wrestling: how is it doing over there? Are they in a slump similar to American wrasslin' or is it doing well compared to the '90s boom period we had in the States? Folks seem to take it a lot more seriously over there, so I'm curious.

It's on an upswing at the moment - the boom period in the states coincided with the boom period in Japan, but the 2000's weren't entirely kind to puroresu. Now MMA's gone tits-up over there, we're seeing a resurgence in popularity, especially with younger audiences.

DMczaf

In the backseat driving back to Vegas. I lol'd when I saw the spindashing joker sting shit and my friends were wondering what's so funny.

Nothing. Nothing was funny. Fuck you spin.

Zach

Did someone say Danshoku Dino?

It's on an upswing at the moment - the boom period in the states coincided with the boom period in Japan, but the 2000's weren't entirely kind to puroresu. Now MMA's gone tits-up over there, we're seeing a resurgence in popularity, especially with younger audiences.

So... that wasn't a typo? >_>

And that's cool. I'm glad it's doing well. I'd like to see something similar with WWE, preferably with Triple H taking over and returning it to more of an athletic contest feel than a sports entertainment spectacle feel.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WWE has a lot of dead time on PPVs, a dormant tournament with prestige, and a roster good enough if you expand it to nxt to do a great BFG/G1 rip off tournament.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Nah, I'm good. Thanks.

Overall it's been in a slump since the mid 2000s, but New Japan has recovered immensely. It's nowhere near as popular as it was in the 90's when you had tons of promotions, no matter if it was just traditional Wrestling, Womens or even deathmatches selling out stadiums.

Right now, NJPW is the #1 promotion and no one else even comes close. Unfortunately, the other "big" promotions, if you can call them that, like All Japan and NOAH are just barely hanging on. Here's a great article that goes over the fall of AJPW and NOAH if you're interested.

Kaladin

TNA was all kinds of fun in 2006:

Samoa Joe was signed in 2005 and built up as a huge force to be reckoned with. Joe went on an eighteen-month undefeated streak, during which he got a clean win over the NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett in a non-title match. Kurt Angle debuted in the fall of 2006 after leaving WWE a few weeks prior; instead of building up to Angle vs. Joe, said match -- which was both Angle's first TNA match and the end of Joe's undefeated streak -- took place two months after Angle's TNA debut (Genesis in November 2006). Joe's career stagnated after his follow-up matches with Angle; he didn't win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship until 2008 -- from Kurt Angle, ironically enough -- and by that point, everyone had stopped caring.

ROH regulars Austin Aries and Roderick Strong became big parts of TNA's X-Division, teaming with Alex Shelley in what was referred to by fans as the second coming of their ROH faction, Generation Next. After a massive snowstorm, TNA suggested the pair no-show their scheduled ROH show in order to ensure their ability to make it to Florida in time for a TNA PPV. Aries and Strong stayed true to their ROH commitments, and although they both made it to Florida on time, both served a long suspension. Strong was released shortly after the suspension was up, while Aries was repackaged as Austin Starr.

The Fans' Revenge match. Fans became lumberjacks and surrounded the ring armed with leather belts. This happened twice, once at Victory Road 2006 with LAX and Beer Money, and again at No Surrender 2006 with Samoa Joe and Jeff Jarrett. TNA encouraged fans to send in videos to earn the chance to be selected as a lumberjack.

The fan submissions were so laughably bad, several videos were featured on The Smoking Gun's Worlds Dumbest Fans in 2009.

Jackie Gayda joined Planet Jarrett after being blackmailed when Alex Shelley brought Jeff Jarrett an allegedly incriminating piece of tape involving Gayda, which was funny since Gayda claimed to have a huge secret to reveal about Jarrett. We never found out what was on the tape or what the secret was, as she took time off after becoming pregnant and never returned to TNA.

Jim Cornette vacated LAX's Tag Team Championships when the company deemed LAX "unfit" to hold them after LAX attempted to attack Gail Kim and burn the American flag. Cornette later backed down when LAX's lawyer said it was within their first amendment rights. In reality the decision was so unpopular that it almost turned LAX face with the iMPACT zone chanting "BULLSHIT" when the announcement was made.

VKM

After Shawn Michaels and Triple H reformed D-Generation X, the New Age Outlaws rebranded themselves the Voodoo Kin Mafia, or VKM (Vincent Kennedy McMahon), and participated in numerous unfunny skits mocking both WWE in general and DX in particular. Even though fans panned the angle, during the infamous "Donald vs. Rosie" match on Raw, fans made a point of chanting "VKM" (as well as "TNA").

TNA started a feud between VKM (faces at this point) and Christy Hemme, stemming off Billy Gunn playing an asshole chauvinist and talking about how women belong in the kitchen. Christy eventually stood up to Gunn, which sounds okay -- if Christy hadn't turned heel by doing so.

Hemme followed this up by bringing in several tag teams to face VKM. She first brought in the Heart Throbs, a jobber team freshly released from WWE; they lasted all of one show. She brought in The Bashams, who were originally intended for the role, next, and TNA positioned them as Christy's permanent team -- until the company fired them for no-showing a live event soon after their debut.

VKM issued a $1,000,000 challenge to WWE: send stars from the WWE -- specifically, DX -- to compete in an open challenge match. Dixie, thinking Vince will actually respond to this challenge, froze the million dollars.

Roxxi Laveaux made her debut as VKM's voodoo priestess valet. No real explanation was given.

Orlando Screwjob

Jarrett became paranoid that he would lose his job as he believed he was perceived as a "cancer" behind the scenes. For some reason Larry Zbyszko thought he would get fired too in favor of TNA bringing in Jim Cornette despite having a no cut contract.

The two conspired that if Jarrett was champion then their jobs will be safe. Because of this they rehashed the Montreal Screwjob for the millionth time at Slammiversary.

During the King of the Mountain match they had Earl Hebner push a ladder over that Christian and Sting were climbing on, allowing Jarrett to become champion.

The event was foreshadowed at Against All Odds during Earl Hebner's debut with the company. Jeff Jarrett put Christian in the sharpshooter while Tenay and West pleaded with Hebner not to call for the bell.

Immediately after the match another referee took the belt away from Jarrett and handed it over to Jim Cornette while Jarrett knelt at the bottom of the ramp and sobbed.

Cornette fired Hebner on the next episode of iMPACT but then handed the title back to Jarrett and made him defend it at the next PPV as punishment, which he would have had to do anyway.

Hebner was later rehired by Cornette after he passed a polygraph test proving he wasn't part of the plan.

A few months later Larry Zbyszko would be fired after losing a match with Eric Young (who also was paranoid about losing his job, leading to the fairly popular "Don't fire Eric!" gimmick) at Bound for Glory.

This whole episode was dubbed The Orlando Screwjob and nothing about it made any sense.

Abyss won his first and only NWA World Championship by disqualification when Sting pushed referee Rudy Charles. Back in the early days of TNA, Bob Armstrong made a rule saying any champion who intentionally disqualified himself from a match would lose their title. While TNA deserved credit for remembering this rule (and showing actual continuity), nobody had mentioned the rule since 2002, and TNA eventually did away with the rule after this match. This ending resulted in most of the live crowd and viewing audience having no idea what the hell was going on.

Robert Roode was praised as being the future of the industry as part of his post-Team Canada singles run, and legendary managers such as Bobby Heenan and Sherri Martel actually appeared on iMPACT to convince Roode to hire them. Roode ended up hiring Traci Brooks as his manager and feuded with Eric Young for over six months because he wanted to be popular like Young was; both moves killed any momentum he may have had coming out of Team Canada and turned him into one of TNA's most boring performers. Roode wouldn't recover from this period of his career until TNA paired him off with James Storm.

A "highlight" of this terrible and seemingly never-ending feud was Eric Young defeating Traci. In a bikini contest. In which Young stripped down to Spongebob skivvies.

Another "highlight" saw Young and Jeremy Borash, with Alex Shelley in tow filming, at a convenience store at about 4 in the morning or so looking to buy condoms. Both were then ridiculed by James Storm and Jacqueline for no good reason.

At Hard Justice 2006, the opening match between Johnny Devine and Eric Young was disrupted by a large cloud of smoke, which caused fans to begin chanting "YOU CAN'T SEE US!" (in reference to John Cena's catchphrase) and "THE ROOF, THE ROOF, THE ROOF IS ON FIRE!" (once the cause was revealed). A shot of the smoke revealed that the Impact Zone's roof was on fire (the fire was caused by the pyro which kicked off the PPV, which ignited a piece of sacking that had been left in the rafters). Devine and Young worked the remainder of the match to a finish -- something both men should be commended for -- and then followed fans, other workers, and TNA staff out of the Impact Zone. As the fire department spent a half-hour extinguishing the fire, Tenay and West ran down the rest of Hard Justice's card and held interviews with various wrestlers (including a possibly-high Monty Brown). A multi-team tag match was booted from the card as a result. No more pyro would be used the rest of the night, which prompted a "No more pyro!" chant when Abyss, who had pyro then, came out for the next match.

Jackass: Number 2 was heavily promoted for several weeks as many X-Division wrestlers attempted to recreate stunts from the Jackass series (something the opening sequence of the show strongly discouraged). Stunts included Senshi popping a blow-up doll by stomping on it, Jay Lethal riding a shopping cart into the ringpost, and Petey Williams being fed laxatives. Displeased fans chanted "No more Jackass" at them for it. Despite their effort, Steve O and Chris Pontius made an appearance on Raw and had a match with Umaga while nobody from the Jackass crew stopped by the iMPACT Zone. Soon after Steve O and Pontius appeared on Raw, all promotion for the Jackass movie died, and the stupid gimmick was laid to rest right along with it.

The Petey Williams laxative incident happened at a PPV during a match with Jay Lethal. What could have been a fun X-Division match for the paying customers turned into a terrible "comedy" match where Petey feigned badly needing to take a shit bell-to-bell. Don West shouted "THE SMELL! OH GOD THE SMELL!" the entire match, although nobody in the audience seemed too bothered.

This is what TNA actually believes.

WWE resurrected ECW in mid-2006; in an attempt to bring legitimacy to this rebirth, WWE attempted to lure former ECW stars working in TNA into working as part of WWECW. During house shows, ECW alumni who were offered contracts rip said contracts up in front of a crowd. TNA turned this into a storyline when Rhino began bashing both ECW and Vince McMahon; for weeks, Rhino whined about how WWECW was not the original ECW, and the whining culminated in Rhino taking the original ECW World Heavyweight Championship and tossing it into a burning barrel.

Team 3D got involved in this, too; most notably, they stapled an "ECW fears TNA" sign to Abyss' head during a hardcore match.

During the burning, the belt was kept in a bag and never actually shown on TV, ostensibly for "legal reasons". Rhino revealed a year later that the reason for this was actually because Rhino didn't really burn the ECW belt. An old replica NWA tag-team belt was in the bag, instead.

Shannon Moore came to TNA after a fresh Future Endeavoring from WWE and began using an exaggerated version of his "Prince of Punk" gimmick. Moore debuted by interrupting what was at the time a dream match between AJ Styles and Hiroshi Tanahashi, started a feud with AJ and even got a clean victory over him (back when Styles was still relatively important to TNA). The next week, Shannon was gone; TNA hadn't actually signed him to a contract, and when WWE came calling again, Moore headed back north while taking a jab at TNA in his WWE.com interview.

TNA repackaged Kazarian, Matt Bentley, and Johnny Devine as Serotonin; they were essentially a new version of Raven's Flock -- right down to Raven leading the group -- which did nothing but lose every match they were in and let Raven whack them with a kendo stick after every loss. Devine was inexplicably pulled from a fairly successful pairing with Alex Shelley, Paparazzi Productions, for this.

BG and Kip James cut a promo mocking Team 3D; this involved BG sticking a box up his shirt to look like Brother Ray and Kip blacking up to look like Devon. People were not pleased.
Christian Cage and Rhino had a big feud that culminated in an "8 Mile Street Fight" (named after Rhino's birthplace of 8 Mile) at Bound for Glory. Their match was good and should have ended the feud; instead, the feud restarted weeks later when Christian and Rhino had a "Barbed-Wire Cage Match" on iMPACT for free -- a week after competing in a "Weapons Or Escape Pole" Match (where each pole had either a weapon or a tool for escaping which could be used in the cage match) which ended when all four items were torn down (no pinfalls or submissions took place).

TNA would hold another "8 Mile Street Fight" later on -- between Rhino and Tomko as a throwaway match on iMPACT.

TNA ended 2006 by rehiring Vince Russo as head writer.

strobogo

Banned
TNA never was mentioned on air by WWE have they?

That might be actually worse then shit talking them on air brehs

I believe the only official mention was in the Hardys DVD when Jeff said something along the lines of " I went to that other place....you know, TNA". I think that's the only time TNA was actually mentioned outright on a WWE program. The rest of the time they have been hints and wink wink stuff.

Overall it's been in a slump since the mid 2000s, but New Japan has recovered immensely. It's nowhere near as popular as it was in the 90's when you had tons of promotions, no matter if it was just traditional Wrestling, Womens or even deathmatches selling out stadiums.

Right now, NJPW is the #1 promotion and no one else even comes close. Unfortunately, the other "big" promotions, if you can call them that, like All Japan and NOAH are just barely hanging on. Here's a great article that goes over the fall of AJPW and NOAH if you're interested.
Article is incredibly revisionist but I can see how novices can learn from it.

Zach

I am. I'll take a gander. Thanks!

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Friend Spider, I'm sorry for your loss.

The #TNAtion will forever live on in our hearts.

Thank you, brother Bionic. While the rest of these jackoffs who never watched Impact celebrate on the grave of TNA, the #TNAtion will silently mourn the most consistently entertaining weekly televised wrestling program and the only alternative to WWE dreck.

Stay strong, friends.

Samoa_Joe_hugging.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So I spent last night deep diving TNA's recent shows after the news and I discovered something almost unreal. Dixie Carter 's character is super meta right now; she's basically playing exactly the type of person the internet thinks she is by hiring the undefeated WWECW champion Big Zeke and the final ECW champion Rhino because they were the final champions and therefore the best. She's intentionally unintentionally pissing off the real stars of ECW by doing this.

Kaladin

I've likely been to more TNA events than anyone on this forum.....I quit watching a long time ago though.

#TNANation 4 life.

Kaladin

Who can ever forget TNA's Reverse Battle Royal?

The "Reverse Battle Royal" -- a genius concept where half the roster fought outside of the ring to get in before competing in an actual battle royal (up until two people remained, at which point the battle royal turned into a one-on-one match) -- happened twice, despite one being widely lauded as one of the worst matches of that year.

XenoRaven

So... that wasn't a typo? >_>

And that's cool. I'm glad it's doing well. I'd like to see something similar with WWE, preferably with Triple H taking over and returning it to more of an athletic contest feel than a sports entertainment spectacle feel.
DDT is uh...a weird place.

Top Bottom