• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT| The Ring’s a Field, the Field of War, That’s Where We Lay the Law

b9RgnH5.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Legends of Wrestling roundtables are pretty good, but they're too short for 4 guests and the choice of guests isn't great. I liked the Territories episode, but it wasn't a great representation of the subject. Only Hayes and Patterson had anything to add and Pat kept getting cut off by Hayes anyways. Same goes for the Evolution of Hardcore episode - Pat absolutely shouldn't have been there. Sure, you don't like hardcore, you think it's disgusting, etc, no need to belabour the point. Road Dogg had little to add, Foley would've been a far better choice and, while JR is certainly knowledgeable, good god does he ramble. Hayes had some good stuff to say (once done putting himself over), but I was very disappointed with that particular episode.

So yeah, more Legends of Wrestling, better guests, longer programs. Go.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why they had Taz speak about territories. Or like you said, Pat and evolution of hardcore. I know Pat had some bloody matches but sheeit.

Nowadays you could EASILY do better panels, especially considering all the estranged dudes in 2008ish that now have made nice.

Goddamn, what a line-up;

21. Tomasso Ciampa

To nobody's fucking surprise. Jeezus I'd like to see...

Uhaa should really be in there. Why hasn't Uhaa worked PWG yet? He could've brought Tozawa back with him.

Please god. Uhaa Nation is one of the more underrated and under-respected dudes out there. Great matches out of almost anyone, athleticism off the charts...goddammit!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
lmao @ this old Observer quote:

"They are billing D-Von Dudley as undefeated as whenever he loses, Joel Gertner runs in and announces him as the winner anyway. [12/96]"

That's fucking funny

krae_man

So I watched the Jim Johnston documentary last night. Such a weird documentary.

The order was garbage(Cena's shitty new theme top 3 while Brood is middle of the pack?), but what was said was also strange. "Somebody Call my Momma" gets a good 5 minutes of the process of it being created with Jim trying to sell that terrible gimmick with ripped off music, yet Goldusts theme just gets 30 seconds of Goldust in fromt of a camera saying "how awesome is my theme?, so awesome!".

Probably should have stuck with just his themes as well and not did Cena's, HBK's or Dusty Rhodes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I watched the Jim Johnston documentary last night. Such a weird documentary.

The order was garbage(Cena's shitty new theme top 3 while Brood is middle of the pack?), but what was said was also strange. "Somebody Call my Momma" gets a good 5 minutes of the process of it being created with Jim trying to sell that terrible gimmick with ripped off music, yet Goldusts theme just gets 30 seconds of Goldust in fromt of a camera saying "how awesome is my theme?, so awesome!".

Probably should have stuck with just his themes as well and not did Cena's, HBK's or Dusty Rhodes.

Huh. I'm looking forward to CFO$ continuing to piss on Johnston's creations.

krae_man

Huh. I'm looking forward to CFO$ continuing to piss on Johnston's creations.

To be fair, wrestlers were getting shitty themes for years. Not due to Johnston sucking, but to WWE not giving a crap and constantly changing them to get a volume discount? I don't know. Plus there's the "lets sell entrance themes as ad space to sell mainstream albums" era.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, wrestlers were getting shitty themes for years. Not due to Johnston sucking, but to WWE not giving a crap and constantly changing them to get a volume discount? I don't know. Plus there's the "lets sell entrance themes as ad space to sell mainstream albums" era.

I remember I grabbed some crazy huge mp3 torrent of all themes ever. Taker had >30 themes, some changed just SO little. It's kind of weird to listen to the evolution of Jericho or Big Show's theme. You think Big show's been the same for ages, for instance, but my goodness it's had some adjustments.

Ithil

Not to mention Vince's heavy dislike of using licensed music since you have to pay people for it. So you get a lot of knock-off themes or a lack of variety.

krae_man

I remember I grabbed some crazy huge mp3 torrent of all themes ever. Taker had >30 themes, some changed just SO little. It's kind of weird to listen to the evolution of Jericho or Big Show's theme. You think Big show's been the same for ages, for instance, but my goodness it's had some adjustments.

Most of them were completely pointless. He's really only needed 3? OG Taker->Heel Ministry Taker->Biker Taker->OG Taker

XenoRaven

A lot of the old themes got welcome updates though. Like if you go back to the late 90's it sounds like they were performed on a Casio keyboard. If you compared Austin or Rock's theme now to back then it's not even close how much better they are even though they keep the same melody.

Ithil

A lot of the old themes got welcome updates though. Like if you go back to the late 90's it sounds like they were performed on a Casio keyboard. If you compared Austin or Rock's theme now to back then it's not even close how much better they are even though they keep the same melody.

Big Show's newer version, higher sound quality aside, is way worse, though. It's slow and plodding, lacking energy, the old one was a really good theme.

Vylash

WWE has announced that Renee Young has been promoted to the Superstars announce team. Young will join Tom Phillips at the announce table for Superstars beginning with today's episode.

"promoted"

Mengetsu

I came back and Emma has returned oh glory day! Also I watched Cena vs JBL man that was a lot of blood but the match was ok. So much choking. I must recap myself on these mid 2000 ppv's.

krae_man

I came back and Emma has returned oh glory day! Also I watched Cena vs JBL man that was a lot of blood but the match was ok. So much choking. I must recap myself on these mid 2000 ppv's.

Which match are you talking about?

The I Quit Match or the First Blood match?

Because the first blood match was :lol

Guy made a remix of the Air Boom theme, well that's something. I honestly have no recollection of the original theme so I'm just going to believe him.

Vylash

NXT matches for tonight:

Collin Cassidy (With Enzo Amore) vs Sylvester Lefort (with Marcus Louis)

Bayley and Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks and Charlotte

CJ Parker vs Jobber

Adrian Neville vs Justin Gabriel

Top Bottom