• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Jericho is a once in a lifetime type of talent. He also has the advantage of coming up in the territory system where you HAD to know how to get yourself over in any situation.

So first the argument was "talent can't overcome booking"
Then "Bryan was the exception"
Now it's "Bryan AND Jericho were exceptions"

Why didn't yall just say "some people can't overcome booking" because I'm sure we can keep finding examples

Hell, I'll do it right now. There have been numerous instances of excursions going wrong for New Japan with the people being booked poorly elsewhere, but none historically more disastrous than Okada going to TNA, and that run should have crippled both Okada AND Joe for good. Also excursions that didn't go well: Naito to CMLL, Watanabe to ROH

I can't even feign shock for the loss of Aries, I've just never been sold on the guy.
Hey he got a Wrestlemania match out of this run so good for him.

All that said I can totally understand the frustration of being Cruiserweight pigeon-holed if that is indeed the reason. Of course that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if WWE could actually book the division in the first place. Neville's having a great run right now but proclaiming yourself king of the cruiserweights in WWE is like being the one eyed king in the valley of the blind (or perhaps more appropriately a Dwarf among Gnomes?)

Why didn't yall just say "some people can't overcome booking" because I'm sure we can keep finding examples

Hell, I'll do it right now. There have been numerous instances of excursions going wrong for New Japan with the people being booked poorly elsewhere, but none historically more disastrous than Okada going to TNA, and that run should have crippled both Okada AND Joe for good. Also excursions that didn't go well: Naito to CMLL, Watanabe to ROH

Good talent can absolutely overcome bad booking and bad scripts.

Syder

Also excursions that didn't go well: Naito to CMLL
full

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Austin Aries is good, but he really felt like a bizarre fit for the Cruiserweight division.

Heroman

Banned
You should book to make your talent to get over or more over. Like talent shouldn't have to overcome bad booking and writing and then when they don't they go well you see they aren't over. WWE has a view of what it takes to get over and if a wreslter doesn't fit into the mold then they not believe in the person

Didn't the excursion to CMLL turn Naito into Tranquilo Natio?

DMczaf

Check out the SummerSlam Meet & Greet schedule below, and don’t miss your chance to see your favorite Superstars up-close on one of the biggest weekends of the year!

Friday, Aug. 18, 2017

1 p.m. – AJ Styles
1 p.m. – Dean Ambrose
3:30 p.m. – Alexa Bliss, Naomi & Asuka
3:30 p.m. – Shinsuke Nakamura

Saturday, Aug. 19, 2017

10 a.m. – Sasha Banks
10 a.m. – The Hardy Boyz
12:30 p.m. – Finn Bálor
12:30 p.m. – Kurt Angle
3 p.m. – Roman Reigns
3 p.m. – The New Day

...but not the cover star of your game?

Foggy

There's NO way, you say.

There's no way they could fuck up Bayley. She could be the female John Cena!

There's no way they could fuck up the Summer of Punk.

There's no way they could fuck up a Shield reunion.

There's no way they could fuck up a WCW/ECW Invasion angle.

Their event this Sunday is Great Balls of Fire. If we want to be generous, it's referencing the 1989 bio-pic about Jerry Lee Lewis. If we're more realistic, it's a show named after a song from 1964.

I don't think you guys were hearing what I'm saying. I'm saying LITERALLY there's no way they could mess it up. LITERALLY.

I just now remembered how amazing 2012 Jericho was. 5 years later and no one has even attempted the meta-heel schtick he did.

I hate the period that comes every time he returns where people are like "oh great, he's back" because every time he's been back in the past decade has been great almost nonstop. 2012 one we both mentioned, the time he teamed with Styles and hyped up a new shirt promoting their team and then immediately turned on him the same week. Him putting Shawn through the TV. The whole run with Owens.

Foggy

On the topic of overcoming booking, it's fine to extol a wrestler's virtues by saying they were able to overcome terrible booking. But the fact of the matter is, nobody should HAVE to overcome bad booking. Nobody evaluates wrestlers by looking at their workrate, physique, mic skills, and then finally if they have the ability to overcome shit booking. It's an asinine metric that's only considered because of how woefully inept some of these top promotions are at utilizing talent to their strengths.

I don't care about smaller guys going for the title, personally, when Neville fought and almost beat Rollins for the title 2 years ago he didn't look out of place at all.

Eddie was like twice the size he had been as CW Champ by the time he won the WWE title though.

However, Rey is one of the worst booked WHCs of all time, which never made any sense because he was unique, over as fuck and a merch selling machine.
Would you be upset if Omega ever came over to WWE and vie for both CW and Heavyweight title at the same time?

【LOS GATOS de Japon】

DEJV78MUAAA5XEn.jpg

For my Los Ingobernables de Japon fam

内藤哲也 Naitō Tetsuya.‏ @DestinoDeJapon 7h7 hours ago
More
Replying to @ElTimeBomb
Hiromu why you do this?

Hiromu Takahashi‏ @ElTimeBomb 6h6 hours ago
More
Hiromu Takahashi Retweeted 内藤哲也 Naitō Tetsuya.
Meeeeeow. ��

They look straight out of Richard Scarry I love it

On the topic of overcoming booking, it's fine to extol a wrestler's virtues by saying they were able to overcome terrible booking. But the fact of the matter is, nobody should HAVE to overcome bad booking. Nobody evaluates wrestlers by looking at their workrate, physique, mic skills, and then finally if they have the ability to overcome shit booking. It's an asinine metric that's only considered because of how woefully inept some of these top promotions are at utilizing talent to their strengths.

Seriously Paul heyman built a promotion on good booking

Mahonay

Banned

I mean, IMO Bryan and Jericho are two all time great grapplemen. I hold them both extremely high in terms of wrestling history.
He made a drunk idiot who couldn't wrestle for shit a compelling character that was very over.

Smallman is doing the same with Progress

My comment is more to do with just because a wrestler loses or doesn't get title shots shouldn't prevent them getting over with the crowd in some capacity. Sami is an example of this in modern WWE, Cesaro to; though the Braun feud helped Sami, I think he's been able to get people to buy into him just fine.

Mahonay

Banned
Smallman is doing the same with Progress

My comment is more to do with just because a wrestler loses or doesn't get title shots shouldn't prevent them getting over with the crowd in some capacity. Sami is an example of this in modern WWE, Cesaro to; though the Braun feud helped Sami, I think he's been able to get people to buy into him just fine.
I personally don't really care that much about Sami in WWE and he's one of my favorite workers. Wish he wasn't some random midcarder.

klonere

Banned
There was very little talk of Fortune Dream 4. I'm going to fix that by watching it this weekend.

It couldn't live up to FD3 but it's still a great show. I thought the joshi match was underwhelming but Meiko was incredible as always. Her poise and presence is just on another level.

Spoilers for result in case you don't know

Raideen being involved in a 30 minute draw is a bad, bad idea

I'm pretty sure Hino would be Kobashi's ace if he actually had a real promotion. Dude's on the show even despite being injured.

Foggy

There was very little talk of Fortune Dream 4. I'm going to fix that by watching it this weekend.

I was disappointed in the last two matches, but only because I had exceedingly high expectations for the last match and because it's clear that Doering and Raideen don't have the stamina for a long match.

The Go Shiozaki and Takuya Nomura vs Yuji Okabayashi and Kaito Kiyomiya tag match was definitely my favorite of the night. A good showcase for the women's tag as well.

I personally don't really care that much about Sami in WWE and he's one of my favorite workers. Wish he wasn't some random midcarder.

He's just one example, also Cesaro and I guess modern Sheamus.

Every time I watch Progress I'm amazed by the concept of people booing heels, even hating them.

Booing heels in 2017.

But what's great is fans still LOVE the heels, but the also understand their role in the story. It's not just them cheering because someone cool came out

Every time I watch Progress I'm amazed by the concept of people booing heels, even hating them.

Booing heels in 2017.

There's a good amount of being game and playing along, that is easier to foster in a small crowd than a WWE crowd tbf. And even then, they couldn't get everyone to boo Marty, who, as I love to remind:

they're only just about getting the crowd on side booing the guy WHO RETIRED KRIS TRAVIS BY BEATING HIM UP AFTER HE CAME BACK FROM CANCER

klonere

Banned
There's a good amount of being game and playing along, that is easier to foster in a small crowd than a WWE crowd tbf. And even then, they couldn't get everyone to boo Marty, who, as I love to remind:

Marty turned Smile heel in OTT by existing. He's a special one that lad.

On PROGRESS, how fucking crazy is it that they sold out a show in BOSTON. I could barely believe the title of the email I got in my inbox this morning and I then find out it's sold out in like 30 minutes.

Not sure if that fact is getting the credit it deserves.

Kaladin

I'm curious to see how their smaller US shows go later this year. Can't wait till they come somewhere in arms reach of me that isn't tied to WM weekend.

Kaladin

#ShooooooooooootFriday

Friends, as of next week I will be 6 books away from completing the 15 book fantasy series The Wheel Of Time. I started this back in November 2015, and it's finally within my reach. This along with an eventually and hopefully completed Stormlight Archives will be the cornerstone of my large book collection.

I hope to complete this before the inevitable TV series starts and bumps up the cost of the original hardbacks.

#ShooooooooooootFriday

Friends, as of next week I will be 6 books away from completing the 15 book fantasy series The Wheel Of Time. I started this back in November 2015, and it's finally within my reach. This along with an eventually and hopefully completed Stormlight Archives will be the cornerstone of my large book collection.

I hope to complete this before the inevitable TV series starts and bumps up the cost of the original hardbacks.

Where the Gradez brutha?

Top Bottom