• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Recall

Not every wrestler needs to be the main focus.

I can't even keep track with who is and isn't a WWE signed wrestler anymore.

Anth0ny

Oh fuck I finally found raw on tv in Italy!

It's fucking 10am on Sunday here lol

I'm pretty sure they dubbed the promos in Italian? Either that or the commentators just talked all over Seth Rollins promo.

Italian commentary >>>>>> English commentary

Browny

Banned

I'm pretty sure they dubbed the promos in Italian? Either that or the commentators just talked all over Seth Rollins promo.

Cesaro5languages.gif
Santinotrombone.gif
Babidaboopi.gif

Italy is lovely - enjoy!

Syder

Can we really make that "good look for the forum" argument after this past week? This was arguably the worst week ever for NeoGAF in terms of public perception for a multitude of reasons.
I mean, yeah, the reputation of GAF would've been irreparably damaged to some people this week.

I guess I kind of expected mods to be extra vigilant after recent events.

I feel the aim should be to make 100% of members feel comfortable and you don't achieve that by catering to the majority; white males.

I'm so psyched to have Fire Pro Wrestling World to play while I'm on a 3 day train trip to see my parents in Ontario. (And 3 days back too for that matter)

I mean, yeah, the reputation of GAF would've been irreparably damaged to some people this week.

I guess I kind of expected mods to be extra vigilant after recent events.

I feel the aim should be to make 100% of members feel comfortable and you don't achieve that by catering to the majority; white males.

I'm just super impressed that a thread about a culture of sexual assault against women by men became a thread about how the real victims are men.

OAKDb54.png

Foffy

Banned
So was that weird supersai style filter able to be disabled in the new firepro game, or do we still not know?

Not sure. I recall from interviews where it seemed like they don't look at it as a "filter" to the game but as part of its actual appearance.

They have considered having an option to disable it too, depending on feedback.

Not sure. I recall from interviews where it seemed like they don't look at it as a "filter" to the game but as part of its actual appearance.

They have considered having an option to disable it too, depending on feedback.

I hope so. It's only really accurate if you're trying to make randy orton or something

Heroman

Banned

Why?

Recall

The only thing that is going to happen in #5Years is that people will continue to use TV ratings incorrectly as an indicator of WWE's standing and people will still watch a product they say they don't like.

If WWE can survive 1992-1996 and 2003-Present then it can never die.

The only way WWE does fold is due to internal politics after Vince's death and even then it will be very drawn out.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

What if the devil you know is screaming "IT'S A TITLE NOT A BELT, BELTS HOLD UP YOUR PANTS. PUSH TOUT. SELL IT MORE. THAT'S NOT ENOUGH DAMNIT. JERRY, GO AND STEAL MAD DOGS FAKE LEG. NO, HE DOESN'T KNOW YOU'RE DOING IT, THAT'S WHATS GONNA MAKE IT SO FUNNY PAL" and suchlike into your ear for three hours?

Recall

What if the devil you know is screaming "IT'S A TITLE NOT A BELT, BELTS HOLD UP YOU PANTS. PUSH TOUT. SELL IT MORE. THAT'S NOT ENOUGH DAMNIT. JERRY, GO AND STEAL MAD DOGS FAKE LEG. NO, HE DOESN'T KNOW YOU'RE DOING IT, THAT'S WHATS GONNA MAKE IT SO FUNNY PAL" and suchlike into your ear for three hours?

It could be Vince Russo

Anth0ny

That's the house I built, Owens snow. I BUILT IT

they're super hype for every move. Similar to Japanese commentary tbh

Austin Aries leaving is a big deal?

More talented, underutilized wwe stars leaving wwe is always a big deal for team #5Years

Hideo Itami and cesaro will follow this year, nakamura next year when he's off tv after a failed run as a racist Japanese stereotype character.

The only thing that is going to happen in #5Years is that people will continue to use TV ratings incorrectly as an indicator of WWE's standing and people will still watch a product they say they don't like.

If WWE can survive 1992-1996 and 2003-Present then it can never die.

The only way WWE does fold is due to internal politics after Vince's death and even then it will be very drawn out.

This current run is basically 1992-1996, except there's no competition to light a fire under their ass or stone cold to come out and change everything. Vince wouldn't even let a stone cold Steve Austin happen in 2017.

Just enough to help murder WCW

Yeah, he needed help to sink that ship. Couldn't have done it alone.

VinnyK's been doing a decent job of that since they moved to three hours though. I don't think the ship will sink, but the waterline is getting higher, and the value of the US/UK tv deals is looking suspect. And that's all down to one indefatigable, out of touch man.

Recall

I think it's not as clear cut as it all being on Vince.

When it works well no one praises Vince, remember this man keeps things moving. When he is no longer there we don't know what exactly he kept in check until it's too late.

I want a better product, I've wanted it since 2001 but to get one it isn't 100% dependant on Vince being dead.

Anth0ny

I think it's not as clear cut as it all being on Vince.

When it works well no one praises Vince, remember this man keeps things moving. When he is no longer there we don't know what exactly he kept in check until it's too late.

I want a better product, I've wanted it since 2001 but to get one it isn't 100% dependant on Vince being dead.

WWE "succeeds" in spite of him, not because of him

orioto

Good Art™
So Meltzer speculating Owens has been working with an injury and it went worse it seems ?

That wouldn't surprise me completely for 2 reasons i've mentioned before.

_He did really few things recently, his matches were short, he didn't really do the most of what happened. Owens' s matches are generally him being in control but recently it's been him resting.

_It's been many times now we've heard reports from house shows that "Owens could be hurt, he was helped exiting the ring" etc.. but Owens pops up like a fresh flower the week after.

Now i hope if he's indeed injured or even too tired with the schedule etc... (He's doing a lot honestly, and was doing harcdore matches with Zayn not long ago in regular house shows), he can benefit from some rest.

Actually when you think about it, most wrestlers in the upper roster of the wwe have had some time off in the last years, Rollins, Reigns, Zayn when he debuted, Balor etc.. Owens has been there without interruption. Not only he needs some form of holidays, but character wise, push wise, disappearing from tv for a little while is generally good.

Owens is this kind of guy, i think, who's so amazing and great, but people are kinda used to it. he's there, he's been champ and champ and champ again, he broke the glass ceiling. He doesn't have that Brian reaction cause there is nothing to ask much actually.

Now if he's injured and off tv for some weeks/months they can give him a fresh start and hopefully a face turn (not a complete face turn of course, but being more on the face side of his tweener character let's say, at least being allowed to be over. Which will be automatic when he returns.)

Now maybe he will pop out like afresh flower again on Tuesday.
Would be a mistake (cause i see what some of you will say) to keep him in commentary. Wrestling needs departures and come back! it feeds from it! It makes stars!

So Meltzer speculating Owens has been working with an injury and it went worse it seems ?

That wouldn't surprise me completely for 2 reasons i've mentioned before.

_He did really few things recently, his matches were short, he didn't really do the most of what happened. Owens' s matches are generally him being in control but recently it's been him resting.

_It's been many times now we've heard reports from house shows that "Owens could be hurt, he was helped exiting the ring" etc.. but Owens pops up like a fresh flower the week after.

Now i hope if he's indeed injured or even too tired with the schedule etc... (He's doing a lot honestly, and was doing harcdore matches with Zayn not long ago in regular house shows), he can benefit from some rest.

Actually when you think about it, most wrestlers in the upper roster of the wwe have had some time off in the last years, Rollins, Reigns, Zayn when he debuted, Balor etc.. Owens has been there without interruption. Not only he needs some form of holidays, but character wise, push wise, disappearing from tv for a little while is generally good.

Owens is this kind of guy, i think, who's so amazing and great, but people are kinda used to it. he's there, he's been champ and champ and champ again, he broke the glass ceiling. He doesn't have that Brian reaction cause there is nothing to ask much actually.

Now if he's injured and off tv for some weeks/months they can give him a fresh start and hopefully a face turn (not a complete face turn of course, but being more on the face side of his tweener character let's say, at least being allowed to be over. Which will be automatic when he returns.)

Now maybe he will pop out like afresh flower again on Tuesday.
Would be a mistake (cause i see what some of you will say) to keep him in commentary. Wrestling needs departures and come back! it feeds from it! It makes stars!

Wouldn't surprise me either considering he took every bad bump in MitB

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I'm trying to get in to NJPW. I'm currently watching the G1 USA thing. Just finished ZSJ vs Ishii. This is some good wrasslin so far. I remember being underwhelmed by my first exposure to ZSJ in the CWC but I really enjoyed his match here.

Wrestling off season would be the best possible thing in so many ways

WWE toning the touring schedule down would do wonders for the careers of their wrestlers.

So I'm trying to get in to NJPW. I'm currently watching the G1 USA thing. Just finished ZSJ vs Ishii. This is some good wrasslin so far. I remember being underwhelmed by my first exposure to ZSJ in the CWC but I really enjoyed his match here.

The big events this year have been really really good -- WK11, Genesis, Dominion all have solid wrestling.

Foffy

Banned

Considering you get about, what, two weeks off in WWE because they don't have an off-season?

That just seems like a schedule that would make wear and tear happen faster than NJPW's strong style stuff, because they at least have small breaks between major shows and multi-tag matches aren't crazy stiff hoss fights.

You should try and watch Wrestle Kingdom 11 and Dominion before the G1 starts :)

I don't see Cesaro going anywhere unless something big changes. He's moved up a lot since the brass ring comments. He's tag champ with his buddy right now! It's obvious he's having fun teaming and at this point it seems better than putting him out on his own. Also allows him more time to focus on Clash Royale and Youtubing lol.

I agree with this a lot. They can even just have a proper off season for the main roster and run stuff like CWC/UK/Womens tournaments to cover their Raw/Smackdown requirements. Or just cycle people in and out. Pretend they're on vacation or something, get them to cut a few promos during the time to show another side of the wrestler, endear them to the audience.

Browny

Banned
You figure they should be able to plan (roughly at least) storyline and feuds in advance, so that wrestlers get a break of 1-3 months every so often. 1 month means they get a rest, but don't get forgotten. 3-4-6 months should mean a big return pop or impact.

#lolwwewriters

Key thing with NJPW events is they open the cards with lots of multi man tag matches in a fun and playful style. Usually have some young lions (developmental talent) thrown in with some crowd favourite veterans so everyone can have a fun spot or two so the crowd can pop, bit like circus routines IMO.

Then they'll have a proper tag match or two, a few singles matches usually with a Jnr/Cruiserweight match before the main heavyweight matches.

Wrestlekingdom 11 was fantastic, even the lower card stuff was entertaining. Make sure to check out the final 4 matches. Dominion was kinda like the Payback event, lot of storytelling flowing on from WK11 with the belts. Definitely recommend putting those 2 events first on your more recent to watch list.

Most of the storytelling is during the event so you don't really need to dig into Wikipedia too much but maybe watch a Youtube or two which covers some basic information going into WK11, one great one here.

Hasney

I think ZSJ works better with big dudes because he can get thrown around, but because of his crazy submissions, he still looks like a threat. Plus guys like Ishii can take his strikes like a PK properly.

ZSJ is quickly getting close to entering my top 5...

Dude works a style like no one other than maybe somehow Matt Riddle but way less annoying.

Zach

Finished Twin Peaks S2... Holy fuck that final episode was bonkers.
You onto Fire Walk with Me? I watched it for the third time in my life yesterday. It's better each time. At first I was like "this isn't what I want!" which has evolved into "knowing more about Twin Peaks, and knowing what to expect, this movie is great!"

It's an 8 out of 10 that started out as a 6.

Hasney

Ha, the line on New Legacy's Fire Pro simulation of Balls of Fire. "Samoa Joe V Brock... The match that has probablyu been booked in 100% of EWR matches.

Recall

What is the feud being presented between the Hardy's and Cesaro/Sheamus?

Is it the normal modern "we are fighting just because" or was there ever a reason for them to be competing against each other?

Too much feels to exist just for the sake of it and to fill time, not about getting a response or a pay off.

Top Bottom