• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Hex

Banned
Zd53EWV.gif

I love Evil but dick Kenny is best Kenny

Fixed the gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
fave five wrestling promotions of all time era whatever off hte top of my head

5. New Generation WWF
4. early 80s AJPW
3. Mid 90s FMW
2. Mid to Late 80s All Japan Women
1. Early 90s Pre-Hogan WCW

shououts to early 2000s toryumon, mid to late 2000s Dragon Gate and mr dangerous era bjw

tumblr_ot4e5oRXq91t7qx6eo1_500.gif

I love Evil but dick Kenny is best Kenny

fair's fair, last years g1 promo form kenny was the one where naito fell asleep behind him

5. New Generation WWF
4. early 80s AJPW
3. Mid 90s FMW

shououts to early 2000s toryumon, mid to late 2000s Dragon Gate and mr dangerous era bjw

fair's fair, last years g1 promo form kenny was the one where naito fell asleep behind him
Where would you put Pre-1996 ECW? Or Smoky Mountain?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The lack of proper translations by NJPW in any kind of way continues to be baffling

If they are serious about expanding in the west then they really need to step up their game. The translations and their awful website need a ton of work.

he curses to much. and im far from a prude, but theres a time and place for cursing, and in the ring (at least how much he does it) is not it. He just sounds like an idiot.

my opinion obviously, talent wise he is fantastic of course.

Oh, that's why I kept hearing all these bleeps throughout the match. I think he spoke maybe two sentences after the match, so I haven't really heard him in character yet.

Rimfya

Banned
Talking Smack must cost nothing to produce and did more for character development than Raw or SD. If it was so popular they tried making an inferior copy their own show with Raw Talk ... why?!

Wonder if Bring it to the Table will still be a thing? It's basically Talking Smack without the pretence.

Pikma

Banned
If they are serious about expanding in the west then they really need to step up their game. The translations and their awful website need a ton of work.
They are serious but I think it's pretty clear by now that they want to do it with the least effort possible and while remaining as japanese as possible, which is kinda cool in certain aspects but also incredibly frustrating in others

Hasney

Talking Smack must cost nothing to produce and did more for character development than Raw or SD. If it was so popular they tried making an inferior copy their own show with Raw Talk ... why?!

Wonder if Bring it to the Table will still be a thing? It's basically Talking Smack without the pretence.

It probably lost rating when it was after 205 Live.

Talking Shoot got the move real networks make to justify cancelling shows.

Why would you cancel one of the only outlets your talents actually have to get their personalities and characters over? FFS. You sure as fuck don't let them do it on the actual wrestling show.

I blame that lame fuck Rosenberg.

Oh god... Could you imagine an after show with Rosenberg and Sam Roberts, it's amazing they're able to speak without having their lips surgically removed from the company's ass.

Jamie OD

After reading the results of the MYC tapings here is my prediction for who wins the final and why I think so.

I'm picking Shayna. Throughout the tapings there is mention of both the MMA Horsewomen and WWE Horsewomen being in the crowd. Shayna also taunts Bayley, Charlotte and Becky after her quarter final win. Now why is the final at a Smackdown taping? Well that's where Charlotte and Becky wrestle and they've been teaming together recently. Ronda Rousey will definitely be there to support her buddy Shayna and it's obvious WWE would love to work with her. I think WWE is absolutely trying to put together a Charlotte/Becky Vs Ronda/Shayna dream match down the line and having Shayna win the MYC in front of a Smackdown crowd will set that up. The possibility of doing that is a bigger goal than building up Kairi for NXT.

5. New Generation WWF
4. early 80s AJPW
3. Mid 90s FMW

5. New Gen WWF (minus 1995 ;))
4. 1999 to the end of the Smackdown Six Era WWF/E (I would have said 1999 to X-7 but Smckdown Six was not long after and I enjoyed Austin's heel turn a lot so I'll let it carry over till then)
3. Extreme Championship Wrestling (I'll just say all of it)
2. 1996-1998 WCW
1. 2017 NJPW

This is mostly based off what I've seen a lot of. 80s NWA would probably knock New Gen out if I had seen more of it. Same with other eras of New Japan. Only two for sure are WCW 1996-1998 and current NJPW, everything else could easily get knocked off if I get a chance to really delve into the past of other promotions.

klonere

Banned
Man, I don't know if I've watched long enough to have a favorite era of anything. I'm very very bad at focusing my attention on any one time period.

Maybe something like

5. 2014/15 NXT
4. 1996/97 WWF
3. 2015/2016 Dragon Gate
2. 90s All Japan
1. Okada era NJPW

I don't even think that's a proper list.

Alvarez makes a good point.

No one was watching it other than hardcore of hardcore so it wasn't getting people over. Like we're a tiny fraction.

What should anger folks is that they aren't doing Talking Smack quality work on the main show

I said this earlier. There is no reason these kind of promos could not have been on the main roster.

It's consistently stupid by WWE to put stuff like Talking Smack out when most of their viewership is in the main shows. It further doesn't help when they then release clips of it on YouTube.

This company is so unfocused and all over when it comes to content and distribution.

Hex

Banned
I said this earlier. There is no reason these kind of promos could not have been on the main roster.

It's consistently stupid by WWE to put stuff like Talking Smack out when most of their viewership is in the main shows. It further doesn't help when they then release clips of it on YouTube.

This company is so unfocused and all over when it comes to content and distribution.

The thing that gets me is that it is not like they do not have plenty of space to use and fill on the network.

Yeah agree.

Anth0ny

Yup. They need to hire a couple of bill trinens. Japanese translators with broken English isn't gonna cut it.

The thing that gets me is that it is not like they do not have plenty of space to use and fill on the network.

They gotta have ample time to stroll out every person who is on the same level and let them promo. Plus some extra time so they each get their own entrance time. Remember the other week when Naomi came out to interrupt a promo and danced the whole way down, only to be out of breath for the entire thing? Or the time they had every single entrant in the MITB mens match interrupt the other other person.

gun_haver

Unless it's a work, which wouldn't be a bad idea cos Smackdown is lagging. They could do a thing with Bryan coming out to do a promo about how it's cancellation stinks and blame Vince/Shane/whoever. A weird angle but it'd make for an entertaining couple of segments. Or they could actually work it into the live show by cutting to the Talking Smack desk intermittently throughout the show after and before matches. That would actually be cool.

On the other hand, assuming the talent is all actually disappointed about this, and so are all the hardcore fans who watched it, what is gained from cancelling it? Like people brought up, this must cost next to nothing to produce. It's a desk set, all the wrestlers are there anyway, and they run it only on their own streaming service so even if the viewing figures have gone down/were never high...everyone who knows about it likes it, and it gives the wrestlers a space where they can improvise within their characters and that's got to be good for morale.

So either Vince just flat out didn't like the improvised aspect to it, which seems most likely, or the financial situation is so bad they are making cuts absolutely anywhere they can.

Top Bottom